PDA

View Full Version : Ford Service?

Taxman71
1/23/2013, 11:43 AM
Need to take my 2012 F150 for service under factory warranty (dang shudder/vibration issue). Anyone had good luck with any OKC area dealers service departments? I fully expect to hear the "that is how a truck drives" the first time I take it in.

TIA

pphilfran
1/23/2013, 11:49 AM
Shudder and vibration? Probably a tire problem that will be covered by the tire warranty...

Taxman71
1/23/2013, 11:53 AM
Lets hope so. Have seen others having driveshaft issues on these also.

Turd_Ferguson
1/23/2013, 11:56 AM
Remove the radiator cap and drive a Chevy/Dodge up underneath it...:biggrin:

pphilfran
1/23/2013, 12:02 PM
Lets hope so. Have seen others having driveshaft issues on these also.

If it is a driveshaft problem the vibrations will be much faster....

Does the vibration only happen at a certain speed? Once the vibrations starts can you "drive through it" and get back to smoother running....

Taxman71
1/23/2013, 12:14 PM
Vibration always present, but horrible from 55 to 60 mph. Lessens substantially after accelerating to 70 or higher. Feels like driveshaft and/or tires out of round.

rock on sooner
1/23/2013, 12:17 PM
I'm not a mechanic but, seems to me, going 70 or more aint real smart with
vibration issues....jus sayin...

pphilfran
1/23/2013, 12:24 PM
Vibration always present, but horrible from 55 to 60 mph. Lessens substantially after accelerating to 70 or higher. Feels like driveshaft and/or tires out of round.

Radial Run Out (out of round) is pretty rare...if the steering wheel is shaking then it is more than likely a tire problem...more than likely balance (thrown weight)...at a certain speed the tires harmonics will combine to give the poorest ride at one speed....

It could be driveshaft but the vibration will be very fast compared to a tire problem. A tire vibration will happen at a longer interval...

pphilfran
1/23/2013, 12:26 PM
Truck tire (75 or 85 series) or passenger car (50/60/70 series)?

Taxman71
1/23/2013, 12:30 PM
75 tires

pphilfran
1/23/2013, 12:34 PM
That is what I would have thought...they are very susceptible to to any uniformity problem...if it takes more than 4 oz of weight to balance then ask for a different tire..

I say...in order of probability

Tire then front suspension problem then driveshaft...

pphilfran
1/23/2013, 12:36 PM
Even if it is a tire problem you want to try to get Ford to handle it...the OE specs are much tighter than aftermarket tires so you have a much better chance at a smooth running tire with little balance weight...And Ford will be stocking the OE speced tires...

hawaii 5-0
1/23/2013, 12:50 PM
Didja check to see if your tires are balanced?

That's where I would start.

5-0

yermom
1/23/2013, 12:58 PM
i would have expected Dean to chime in here at some point

Taxman71
1/23/2013, 01:30 PM
Agreed I need to have the tires checked again. One trip to the farm can take a toll.

Taxman71
2/21/2013, 03:00 PM
Update: got four new tires (free under wsrranty of course) after the originals (3,000 miles on a brand new truck) were bad straight from the factory. Rides great since the swap, but I will keep my eye on this issue. Wish they'd put perellis on these instead of wranglers.

olevetonahill
2/21/2013, 03:02 PM
Update: got four new tires (free under wsrranty of course) after the originals (3,000 miles on a brand new truck) were bad straight from the factory. Rides great since the swap, but I will keep my eye on this issue. Wish they'd put perellis on these instead of wranglers.

You should have been able to Pay extry for an upgrade.

pphilfran
2/21/2013, 03:09 PM

Any name brand tire can have problems in that size (though Michelin are head and shoulders above all the rest) ...a tall, heavy, and skinny tire is hell on lateral (side to side), radial (our of round), conicity (pulls in one direction) and balance...low profile tires are a piece of cake (down to say, 50 series) to build while 75 and 85 series are mothers to get right...

Taxman71
2/21/2013, 06:14 PM
You should have been able to Pay extry for an upgrade.

I pushed for them, but got a major roadblock since everything was being done under warranty. The 20 inch rims come stocked with Perilli Scorpions but no such luck on the 18s.

pphilfran
2/21/2013, 07:00 PM
I pushed for them, but got a major roadblock since everything was being done under warranty. The 20 inch rims come stocked with Perilli Scorpions but no such luck on the 18s.

You don't want 20" wheels/tires....

olevetonahill
2/21/2013, 07:16 PM
Now I dont jack shat about tires and the new 18 an 20 inch wheels other than I think they look dumb as hell.
But what does the wheel size have to do with buying an Upgrade in tire quality?

pphilfran
2/21/2013, 07:19 PM
Evidently the OE 18" wheel only came with Goodyear tires where the OE 20" wheel came with Pirelli...

Pirelli is not necessarily an upgrade over Goodyear...

olevetonahill
2/21/2013, 07:29 PM
Evidently the OE 18" wheel only came with Goodyear tires where the OE 20" wheel came with Pirelli...

Pirelli is not necessarily an upgrade over Goodyear...

OK what I aint understandin is If they gonna give him a new set why couldnt he pay the extry and get whatever brand he ****in wanted? Wheels is wheels and Tires is tires right?

pphilfran
2/21/2013, 07:51 PM
Don't know...they might not stock 18" Pirelli

olevetonahill
2/21/2013, 07:53 PM
Don't know...they might not stock 18" Pirelli

Oh well its a Nunya on my part anyway.

pphilfran
2/21/2013, 07:57 PM
Oh well its a Nunya on my part anyway.
Still a good question...

olevetonahill
2/21/2013, 08:01 PM
Still a good question...

I know when ya Buy a new vehicle you can payextry fer an upgrade . dont know why he couldnt have here . Maybe dint think about it or dint want to spend the extry. Like I said its a Nunya tho

Taxman71
2/22/2013, 07:40 AM
I didn't upgrade the tires when I bought the truck as I have never had tire issues on a new vehicle before and have always had good luck with wranglers. Once they were outfitted with Wranglers, they had to be replaced with the same tire under warranty. Not a big deal if the new tires hold up alright.

Test drove one with 20 inch wheels , didn't like it.

C&CDean
2/24/2013, 10:14 AM
Just saw this thread. Yes, you are much better off with the 18's than the 20's. I try to tell that to my kids, but they go "dad, the 20's are pimp, the 18s look like old man tires." I tell them my trucks had 15s in the day and they go "how gay."

Putting 20s or 22s on your truck not only looks bad (the 20s aren't as bad as the 22s) but they also drive bad. Several guys I work with have done it on their Navigators and Escalades and think it looks cool. I guess if you're < 30 they do. I've driven them, and the ride sucks compared to the 18s. Momma's new MKX has 18s. She drove one with factory 20s and hated it. Totally different ride.

As soon as I read your OP, I thought "bad tires." It happens. Not often, but I've seen brandy new ones feel like you're driving with squares instead of rounds. Another thing, it seems like every Ford truck (higher end packages like Lariat/Platinum/King Ranch) these days comes with those Pirelli Scorpions. Man they sell the hell outta those things to Ford.

pphilfran
2/24/2013, 10:28 AM
Just saw this thread. Yes, you are much better off with the 18's than the 20's. I try to tell that to my kids, but they go "dad, the 20's are pimp, the 18s look like old man tires." I tell them my trucks had 15s in the day and they go "how gay."

Putting 20s or 22s on your truck not only looks bad (the 20s aren't as bad as the 22s) but they also drive bad. Several guys I work with have done it on their Navigators and Escalades and think it looks cool. I guess if you're < 30 they do. I've driven them, and the ride sucks compared to the 18s. Momma's new MKX has 18s. She drove one with factory 20s and hated it. Totally different ride.

As soon as I read your OP, I thought "bad tires." It happens. Not often, but I've seen brandy new ones feel like you're driving with squares instead of rounds. Another thing, it seems like every Ford truck (higher end packages like Lariat/Platinum/King Ranch) these days comes with those Pirelli Scorpions. Man they sell the hell outta those things to Ford.

Ain't no money in OE tires...they basically give em away...

Ford will give out bid specs on a tire they want...they will spec out tire size and weight...wear and handling parameters...ride/uniformity parameters...and then pick out the lowest bidder...crappy supply problems in the past carry a lot of weight...

Those tires that got yanked will be sent back to Goodyear for credit....Goodyear will then send the tires to the producing facility for analysis...long detailed write up...a couple of major *** eatings...then back to business...