PDA

View Full Version : A Couple of Questions About ObamaFest 2012

lexsooner
1/22/2013, 12:47 PM
Obama looked very Presidential and in charge yesterday. I thoroughly enjoyed watching the ceremonies and celebration. The festivities did, however, bring to mind a couple of questions.

I haven't seen any discussion on this board, but where was the purported polling bias? So many otherwise intelligent GOP people bought into it, even Romney himself. As it turned out, the polls were generally spot on, if not slightly biased in Romney's favor. Of all of swing states which were in play before the election, Obama won each by a larger margin than the last polls indicated, with the one exception of Ohio. Funny how this was not discussed on this board after the election.

Also, where is the soul searching on this board by the folks who are not fans of Obama/Democrats? After UT gets stomped by OU, at least UT fans will turn on their own coaches, even players, and they discuss how to make things better. They don't react by increasing their OU sucks messages. In contrast, here, the only reaction to Obama's decisive victory is even more hatred towards him and Democrats and "liberals." I have seen little anger towards the GOP for losing and seemingly lacking any plan to win in the future.

FaninAma
1/22/2013, 12:52 PM
The football comparison is a non-starter. If the RRS were decided by a vote the Whorns would win every year. The ultimate assessment of Obama's Presidency is yet to be written.

Personally I hope he stays healthy, acts more mature and puts the good of the country ahead of his partisan dislike of the Republicans. If he does that he may actually accomplish something this term.

okie52
1/22/2013, 01:18 PM
Obama looked very Presidential and in charge yesterday. I thoroughly enjoyed watching the ceremonies and celebration. The festivities did, however, bring to mind a couple of questions.

I haven't seen any discussion on this board, but where was the purported polling bias? So many otherwise intelligent GOP people bought into it, even Romney himself. As it turned out, the polls were generally spot on, if not slightly biased in Romney's favor. Of all of swing states which were in play before the election, Obama won each by a larger margin than the last polls indicated, with the one exception of Ohio. Funny how this was not discussed on this board after the election.

Also, where is the soul searching on this board by the folks who are not fans of Obama/Democrats? After UT gets stomped by OU, at least UT fans will turn on their own coaches, even players, and they discuss how to make things better. They don't react by increasing their OU sucks messages. In contrast, here, the only reaction to Obama's decisive victory is even more hatred towards him and Democrats and "liberals." I have seen little anger towards the GOP for losing and seemingly lacking any plan to win in the future.

I thought Romney was going to lose. I don't know why pub pollsters got it so wrong other than blind optimism.

What would you change? Embrace amnesty for illegals even though it will harm the country and they will vote over 2-1 against your party? Latch onto green energy even though it will hurt our economy and not come close to meeting our energy needs? Support bad legislation like Obamacare? Continue the defunding of Yucca? Support raising taxes without proportional spending cuts? Raise taxes on Capital gains when it will lose tax revenues?

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/22/2013, 01:31 PM
The country is stunned. Lots of trepidation of being taken out by the media and entertainment industry(and being affected by the government, some way or another). No telling what's going on in the public schools, or how to deal with the propaganda.

OULenexaman
1/22/2013, 01:41 PM
didn't watch it....had enough naseau as it was yesterday.

Soonerjeepman
1/22/2013, 01:41 PM
The GOP screwed the pooch..BUT there is no way in he11 I'd vote for obama. Has nothing to do with color, unlike 95% of his minority votes, crap prob 50% didn't even know any issues. The dems want people on the gov til, plain and simple. I totally agree with what Okie said...

The poll I saw just the other day on regular news (not fox or any conservative venue) had a 51% disapproval rating still. Course the news folks bragged about how his approval rating is UP from 44% to 49%.

oh, and RRR is just a frickin game...obama's policies are not.

Bourbon St Sooner
1/22/2013, 01:46 PM
I'm not a Republican. I'm an American. That's why I talk about what the USA needs to do to improve itself.

You republicrats that think everything your party does is right and everything the other guy does is wrong are the problem.

Midtowner
1/22/2013, 01:55 PM
What would you change? Embrace amnesty for illegals even though it will harm the country and they will vote over 2-1 against your party?

This could be a possibility for the GOP. Remember, the Democrats used to be the party supporting white privilege, Jim Crow, etc. The Republicans stupidly did not capitalize on that and in doing so, forfeited the votes of blacks. Maybe there's another opportunity here, maybe they've already tarnished their image too much with people of color.

Latch onto green energy even though it will hurt our economy and not come close to meeting our energy needs?

Maybe. Green energy, while having a huge up front cost (which will create jobs) could be a big deal. Of course if it works and reduces the need for oil, NG and coal, energy is a zero sum game. A lot of staunch GOP supporters like the Koch brothers would probably not let this happen.

Support bad legislation like Obamacare? Continue the defunding of Yucca? Support raising taxes without proportional spending cuts? Raise taxes on Capital gains when it will lose tax revenues?

Yup, you're right, y'all are screwed. The party of "no." I can guarantee you this though--if the Republican Party's agenda continues to be one of obstruction and attacks on the middle class while protecting special needs and the wealthy, the defections will continue.

okie52
1/22/2013, 02:11 PM
This could be a possibility for the GOP. Remember, the Democrats used to be the party supporting white privilege, Jim Crow, etc. The Republicans stupidly did not capitalize on that and in doing so, forfeited the votes of blacks. Maybe there's another opportunity here, maybe they've already tarnished their image too much with people of color.

The hispanics have voted over 2-1 for dems for over the last 30 years...even following Reagan's amnesty they voted over 2-1 for dukakis. Most hispanics are near the poverty line and support big government and handouts. It would be really stupid to add 12,000,000 more that would vote against your party.

Maybe. Green energy, while having a huge up front cost (which will create jobs) could be a big deal. Of course if it works and reduces the need for oil, NG and coal, energy is a zero sum game. A lot of staunch GOP supporters like the Koch brothers would probably not let this happen.

The Koch brothers aren't keeping the "world" from developing green energy and there are many more real jobs to be created with oil and gas than the artificial ones on green energy. Of course the logic of the dems like Markey would be to tax NG by 22% which would only affect US industry and consumers and then declare 2 years later NG was to big of an energy advantage to allow it to be exported to countries that would pay 5 times the cost that it has in the US. True brilliance (and science).

Yup, you're right, y'all are screwed. The party of "no." I can guarantee you this though--if the Republican Party's agenda continues to be one of obstruction and attacks on the middle class while protecting special needs and the wealthy, the defections will continue.

Heh heh...the attacks on the middle class...**** you didn't mention the war on women. The party of stupid is reserved for the dems...if the pubs need to be stupid to win then they really aren't worth having.

Soonerjeepman
1/22/2013, 02:13 PM
I just have to laugh at you Mid...

you think the republicans are the only "rich" folks who want power...get a clue. The dems are just as bad, but they want the gov to be in charge and then they in charge of the gov.

Hate to tell ya but I'm supposedly middle class...and I don't see "attacks" from the repub...like I see from the dems.

Midtowner
1/22/2013, 02:16 PM
Heh heh...the attacks on the middle class...**** you didn't mention the war on women. The party of stupid is reserved for the dems...if the pubs need to be stupid to win then they really aren't worth having.

Attacking the middle class is very real. Many Republicans were very amenable to getting rid of the home mortgage interest deduction, an almost exclusively middle class benefit, and a really big deal for lots of folks in order to protect income tax rates for the top 1%.

And the Republican Party has been against income equality laws for women and in favor of restricting their right to choose. A "war"? That's an overused term, but do these things favor the middle class and women?

Midtowner
1/22/2013, 02:16 PM
I just have to laugh at you Mid...

you think the republicans are the only "rich" folks who want power...get a clue. The dems are just as bad, but they want the gov to be in charge and then they in charge of the gov.

Hate to tell ya but I'm supposedly middle class...and I don't see "attacks" from the repub...like I see from the dems.

Then you aren't paying attention :)

okie52
1/22/2013, 02:49 PM
Attacking the middle class is very real. Many Republicans were very amenable to getting rid of the home mortgage interest deduction, an almost exclusively middle class benefit, and a really big deal for lots of folks in order to protect income tax rates for the top 1%.

And the Republican Party has been against income equality laws for women and in favor of restricting their right to choose. A "war"? That's an overused term, but do these things favor the middle class and women?

I'm definitely against removing the home mortgage deduction regardless if some pubs support that position but I didn't think that was just a pub discussion. 2nd homes I could see eliminating.

How does eliminating the home mortgage protect the income tax rates for the top 1%?

I'm against income equality laws for women or anyone because they are already protected. I'm also against hate crime laws. Right to choose...as in abortion? I favor their right to choose even though I find it a morally bankrupt position. I certainly don't see one position being better than the other...I'm just tired of it being a litmus test for candidates in both parties.

okie52
1/22/2013, 03:05 PM
One of the reasons the mortgage tax break is so vulnerable is that both Democrats and Republicans have recently favored capping deductions, including both President Obama and the recent Republican presidential nominee, Mitt Romney.

What is more, deductions could be used to grease a compromise in the budget negotiations. High earners would be hit most by deduction limits, something that might make Republicans recoil. But the party may tolerate such a policy in return for a deal that limits how much actual tax rates go up for high-income households.

Taken on its own, the deduction limit wouldn’t make a huge difference. But it can play an important role in a broad plan to cut the deficit, and shows a willingness to tackle once sacred cows. The tax numbers suggest it may not be hard to structure deduction limits in a way that leaves most middle-income households untouched.

With the mortgage interest deduction, households realized tax savings of $83 billion in 2010, according to figures from the Reason Foundation. The bulk of those savings are enjoyed by the higher earners.

http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2012/11/26/mortgage-interest-deduction-once-a-sacred-cow-is-seen-as-vulnerable/

Midtowner
1/22/2013, 03:12 PM
I'm definitely against removing the home mortgage deduction regardless if some pubs support that position but I didn't think that was just a pub discussion. 2nd homes I could see eliminating.

How does eliminating the home mortgage protect the income tax rates for the top 1%?

Because the top 1% receives less overall benefit from the home interest mortgage deduction than a single mom with 4 kids on a 75K salary and last year, McCain and other Republicans were proposing eliminating the mortgage interest deduction and charitable gift deduction in lieu of raising rates for the very wealthy.

I'm against income equality laws for women or anyone because they are already protected.

How so?

I'm also against hate crime laws.

Me too. Punishing thoughtcrime is a slippery slope.

Right to choose...as in abortion? I favor their right to choose even though I find it a morally bankrupt position. I certainly don't see one position being better than the other...I'm just tired of it being a litmus test for candidates in both parties.

I gave you less credit than you deserve there. Congratulations, you are now in favor of defending Constitutional rights though you find their exercise morally repugnant. Your ACLU membership card is in the mail.

okie52
1/22/2013, 03:16 PM
Because the top 1% receives less overall benefit from the home interest mortgage deduction than a single mom with 4 kids on a 75K salary and last year, McCain and other Republicans were proposing eliminating the mortgage interest deduction and charitable gift deduction in lieu of raising rates for the very wealthy.

See above

How so?

Me too. Punishing thoughtcrime is a slippery slope.

I gave you less credit than you deserve there. Congratulations, you are now in favor of defending Constitutional rights though you find their exercise morally repugnant. Your ACLU membership card is in the mail.

Pay discrimination is already covered? Age discrimination is already covered?

ACLU card...send it my way Heh

hawaii 5-0
1/22/2013, 03:20 PM
Sad how the issue of job creation got swept under the bus.

I'd love to see the rate drop below 5%.

5-0