PDA

View Full Version : Remember ex-Nebraska coach Bill Callahan?

badger
1/22/2013, 11:58 AM
Who's the ****ing hillbilly now, Billy? (http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8868196/tim-brown-bill-callahan-sabotaged-oakland-raiders-super-bowl-xxxvii-loss)

According to receiver Tim Brown, Jon Gruden's Tampa Bay Buccaneers thrashed the Raiders 48-21 in Super Bowl XXXVII because Oakland was "sabotaged" by Bill Callahan, the team's head coach at the time, who changed the game plan at the last minute.

Now stand there while I pelt you and your team with oranges! :P

jk the sooner fan
1/22/2013, 12:06 PM
tap the brakes

one of the RB's (Crockett) called in to Mike and Mike this morning and said that the game plan was changed because the center (Barrett Robbins) went AWOL because of his bi-polar condition. Brown alleges that Robbins went AWOL after the game plan was changed

Crockett says its the other way around - they had to replace Robbins with the long snapper who didnt have any experience making calls at the line for a run game

stoops the eternal pimp
1/22/2013, 12:10 PM
I tend to side more with Crockett on this one...Barrett Robbins from everything I heard bailed long before the game plan was changed.

SoonerNomad
1/22/2013, 12:19 PM
I heard Tim Brown on the radio a few weeks ago saying that he would NEVER under any condition vote for a Heisman winner to win a second Heisman. Since he's a former Heisman winner himself he has a vote. His position is since the guy already had the Heisman, why should he even be considered for another one. The guy on the radio with him kept giving him scenarios where the previous winner had clearly outdistanced himself from all the other candidates during the course of that second season and Brown would not budge. It's a no go in his mind. There should never be a repeat Heisman winner according the mind of Tim Brown. he said Archie Griffin shouldn't have been eligible the second year because he already had one in his house. You could tell the co-host on the show felt Brown was off his rocker.

I guess the point is that Tim Brown seems to be the type that gets something set in his mind and says it despite either the inanity of it or the lack of logic and reason. It is hard to believe a coach "sabotaged" a Super Bowl for his friend. As we all can attest I don't think Callahan is smart enough to even think to do something that twisted.

jk the sooner fan
1/22/2013, 12:21 PM
i think he's bitter because he's been shut out of the HOF to date

swardboy
1/22/2013, 01:01 PM
I thought it weird that Rich Gannon won't comment on this when attempts to contact him by "Mike and Mike" were unfruitful. Wait, maybe he's in Tahiti....

Ruf/Nek7
1/22/2013, 03:59 PM
And now he will be calling offensive plays for the Cowboys. As a Cowboy fan, i am just glad that Garret has been relieved of that duty.

Scott D
1/22/2013, 04:09 PM
And now he will be calling offensive plays for the Cowboys. As a Cowboy fan, i am just glad that Garret has been relieved of that duty.

that should last maybe 3 snaps into preseason.

Ruf/Nek7
1/22/2013, 04:14 PM
that should last maybe 3 snaps into preseason.

Before Jerrah Jones steps in and takes over?

Scott D
1/22/2013, 04:16 PM
Before Jerrah Jones steps in and takes over?

or at least until you cowboy fans realize this knucklehead is a fraud.

Ruf/Nek7
1/22/2013, 04:23 PM
or at least until you cowboy fans realize this knucklehead is a fraud.

You talkin to the wrong guy.

ouleaf
1/22/2013, 04:27 PM
Yeah, Tim Brown has put this out there quite a bit over the past many years. Seems pretty ridiculous to think that a coach would "sabotage" his own team to prevent them and himself from winning a ring. What coach would really do that?

I hope his opinion get overlooked and he gets into the HOF one of these years. He's definitely deserving IMO.

goingoneight
1/22/2013, 07:35 PM
Calahan is a good football mind who is terrible with relating to people and apparently not a great teacher. 1/3 ain't ever gonna cut it.

BudSooner
1/22/2013, 07:42 PM
I tend to side more with Crockett on this one...Barrett Robbins from everything I heard bailed long before the game plan was changed.As I recall, prior to the game they were saying Robbins went AWOL a couple of days before the game. But in '06 there was talk from Napolean Kaufman that it was a week before, that Al Davis had sent someone to look for him at his house, called the guys parents.
Pretty sad about the guy, he had some bad depression isssues.

MyT Oklahoma
1/22/2013, 09:52 PM
I remember that game even though I rarely watch Super Bowls (unless The King is coaching of course). I wanted to watch Rich Gannon because he had played for Kansas City and I thought he got a raw deal when the Chiefs didn't keep him. But once Tampa Bay started jumping all over the Raiders I was laughing so hard I watched the whole game just to see Oakland take it in the rear.

I was outside shoveling snow in my driveway so I missed Janet Jackson at halftime. Looking back that was probably a blessing.

8timechamps
1/22/2013, 10:06 PM
As I recall, prior to the game they were saying Robbins went AWOL a couple of days before the game. But in '06 there was talk from Napolean Kaufman that it was a week before, that Al Davis had sent someone to look for him at his house, called the guys parents.
Pretty sad about the guy, he had some bad depression isssues.

E:60 did a story on the whole ordeal, Robbins was (and may still be) a big time substance abuser. His wife (at the time) dropped him off at the team hotel the night before they were supposed to check in for team meetings/etc. He never even made it to his room, he got a cab and went out to start drinking. He said he doesn't remember much of anything until he woke up about two hours before kick-off in Tijuana, Mexico.

aurorasooner
1/23/2013, 01:33 AM
Remember ex-Nebraska coach Bill Callahan? Our fark board thread on Callahan was right up there (but not quite) with the Stunned Aggie 1st thread. Seems there was a couple of threads 1) where that slime-ball AD they had. Peterson or Pederson (or whatever his name was) and Calli-slash crawfished and backed out of that game with some team, and 2) that thread where Callihan pulled the throat slash. Both were funny as hell. Ah, the good old days. I'll have to see if I BU any of those jpg farks from that thread, and go back and take a look at them.

picasso
1/23/2013, 03:25 AM
I hope his opinion get overlooked and he gets into the HOF one of these years. He's definitely deserving IMO.
Yes he is.

badger
1/23/2013, 09:02 AM
When I posted this I had no idea that Cally became Big D's offensive coordinator. I rarely pity the Cowboys (since the mid-90s were nice to you and not the Packers before Super Bowl XXXI) but in this case... oh man, I am soooo sorry :(

jk the sooner fan
1/23/2013, 09:18 AM
he is NOT the offensive coordinator - that is incorrect

not sure where that came from - but sources here in Dallas say that JJ is considering a couple others for that role

Ed Werder was on the local show here yesterday and brought up a few things - he covered the Raiders that year and was with the team during the preparation for the super bowl - he had numerous conversations with Tim Brown and doesnt remember anything like this ever being brought up

During the motivational speech - Callahan told his team that the reason Gruden left Oakland for Tampa Bay - was because he didn't believe in the group/team......doesnt sound like somebody who wants to throw a game

and then he said this - if you and Jerry Rice have suddenly been told "hey we're going to scrap the run heavy offense plan and throw the ball 60 times" -do you honestly think those two are going to complain?

does not make sense at all........the new coach for the Bears that was just hired - was the O coordinator for Oakland at the time and Brown has had some negative things to say about him as well - he says that both he and Callahan are great "x's and o's" guys - very knowledgeable - but not great with their skills in relating to the players

badger
1/23/2013, 09:47 AM
So confused... no wonder the Dallas Cowboys appear to be such a clustereffffff.

I don't pity you guys for that. You've won more than your share of Super Bowls

texaspokieokie
1/23/2013, 09:50 AM
JK, according to today's DMN, callahan was (or is) already the OC & offensive line coach, just not calling plays.

jk the sooner fan
1/23/2013, 09:51 AM
he's just the offensive line coach - Jones is still looking at other options and i heard a name yesterday (escapes me at the moment) as a possibility for play caller - many presume Callahan will call plays but thats not even close to official

jk the sooner fan
1/23/2013, 09:52 AM
and i see the article you're talking about - i dunno - that runs contrary to what was reported yesterday

badger
1/23/2013, 09:54 AM
Also, Callahan unsurprisingly denied the sabotage allegations. (http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8871919/bill-callahan-former-oakland-raiders-coach-says-sabotage-allegations-ludicrous)

"While I fully understand a competitive professional football player's disappointment when a game's outcome doesn't go his team's way, I am shocked, saddened and outraged by Tim Brown's allegations and Jerry Rice's support of those allegations made through various media outlets over the last 24 hours," Callahan said Tuesday in a statement. "To leave no doubt, I categorically and unequivocally deny the sum and substance of their allegations."

Also according to that link:

Callahan is currently the offensive line coach for the Dallas Cowboys.

There is one reason why I could believe that Cally could sabotage a game, even a game as big as the Super Bowl, and it's because of the way he coached the Nebraska Huskers: He coached them to not be blown out, to not make the scoreboard embarrassing. If he didn't feel like Nebby had a chance to win, he'd run the clock down while scoring hardly anything, but at the same time, not giving the opposition a chance to score.

I think we can all agree that he is a major dooshe after what he pulled against OU in 2004. Well, there's practically no time left on the clock, but I will NOT be the Nebraska coach that gets shutout! Let's kick a meaningless field goal to lose by 27 instead of 30! Gag.

jk the sooner fan
1/23/2013, 09:59 AM
oh yeah he's an as*hole - no doubt

but i dont think for one second that he sabotaged the super bowl

texaspokieokie
1/23/2013, 10:31 AM
wikipedia show him as OC plus OLC.

jk the sooner fan
1/23/2013, 11:31 AM
well if wikipedia says it ;)

ok well things have changed - yesterday they were talking about Jerry waiting to interview some dude for OC....they're also about to hire Houston Nutt

badger
1/23/2013, 11:47 AM
well if wikipedia says it ;)

ok well things have changed - yesterday they were talking about Jerry waiting to interview some dude for OC....they're also about to hire Houston Nutt

Mitt Romney has binders full of women. Jerry Jones has binders full of ex-college coaches that those colleges now loathe :D

hawaii 5-0
1/23/2013, 01:25 PM
As I'm not a Cowboys fan I'm rather excited to see what Callacanned brings.

I admit they need some help, but first I'd look to get a decent offensive line. They really stunk last year.

5-0

Scott D
1/23/2013, 10:11 PM
I don't think he sabotaged it, I just think he's a fraud.

SanJoaquinSooner
1/23/2013, 11:41 PM
Not a callahan fan, but Brown trashing him 10 years after the fact is classless and I believe incorrect anyway. Oakland lost because Tampa Bay was better.

Monster Zero
1/24/2013, 09:49 AM
No, I don't remember him. I'm just an f'n hillbilly.

Scott D
1/24/2013, 04:16 PM
Not a callahan fan, but Brown trashing him 10 years after the fact is classless and I believe incorrect anyway. Oakland lost because Tampa Bay was better.

Tampa won because they knew the playbook, the fraud didn't change a damn thing about it.

Ruf/Nek7
1/24/2013, 04:34 PM
Callahan does carry the title of offensive coordinator and o-line coach. Only now, does he actually get the full responsibilities of an O-Coordinator.

badger
1/24/2013, 05:11 PM
Callahan does carry the title of offensive coordinator and o-line coach. Only now, does he actually get the full responsibilities of an O-Coordinator.

Does JJ call the sidelines like Al Davis reportedly used to?

Ruf/Nek7
1/25/2013, 07:37 AM
I
Does JJ call the sidelines like Al Davis reportedly used to?

He crawls it, that's for sure. To my understanding, no he does not. But its Jerry flippin Jones so he probably does.