PDA

View Full Version : Al Eschbach?

achiro
1/21/2013, 05:47 PM
I'm going to try and ask this in the nicest way possible. Did Al ever know anything about sports? How did he become a radio personality? What is his background? I hear his show from time to time and I just can't figure out if he knows anything that's happening on the field/court/whatever. People call and ask questions and almost always seem to know more about what's going on than he does. If they differ from his opinion he just gets loud and "screachier" talking over them to drown them out. I can see a legacy type thing(like BB Sr.) being kept around because of former accomplishments which is why I am asking about his background because it seems like he is just there for the paycheck at this point.

starclassic tama
1/21/2013, 05:58 PM
he knows a lot about OU football history, and he can tell you about the older players on the teams he follows like the giants etc. but that is it. he and traber are almost laughably embarrassing when it comes to knowledge of the NBA or NFL. al most definitely does not take his job serious at all anymore and he is pathetic to listen to.

lexsooner
1/21/2013, 06:09 PM
I used to listen to his no class sports talk show on KTOK many years ago. He had no class and his callers even less. From what I recall, he is from New York and came to OU as an undergrad because it was supposed to be a party school. He was not a varsity athlete. He eventually graduated and went into sports journalism and worked as a writer for the long defunct Oklahoma Journal. He knew a lot about sports trivia and was obviously a sports nut. He did actually know a lot about OU football because of his contacts in the program. He could only reveal some information on the air. One friend of mine was sitting behind him during a scrimmage back when Kelly Phelps was given the nod over Shepard for quarterback. Eschbach was talking to a friend and saying how he felt Phelps got the start because he was a white boy from Oklahoma, even though Shepard was the better quarterback. Well, Al was actually right but he could not say that on the air. He would often give more realistic predictions about OU's season which fans did not like, but was probably based on information he gathered from his contacts. Now his callers were real doozies - "Hello, am I on the air. Sir, turn your radio down! Hello? Sir, there is a five second delay which is confusing you. Turn your radio down! Am I on the air, hello, hello! Well, I think OU should give lie detector tests to fans before they give out tickets because a bunch of Aggies go to games and I can't get tickets!" Yes, a caller really said this.

tycat947
1/21/2013, 06:17 PM
I believe he's from Jersey, but that's close to New York. I also think he was a manager on the basketball team, if not mistaken. That being said, I think over the years, he's confused himself with someone important!

lexsooner
1/21/2013, 06:35 PM
Yes, come to think of it, you are correct. I have been away a long time, but I have no doubt his ego has grown over the decades. Back before the Internet, he was about the only source of good info about recruiting and OU football, so he had quite a following. I heard he went to a show called the sports animal and it is about as low class as his old ktok show, if that is possible.

GDC
1/21/2013, 06:37 PM
He spends a lot of time in Thailand and other exotic places, NTTAWWT

freshchris05
1/21/2013, 06:41 PM
I hear he usually stays for 2 weeks. The second week is for the scratches to heal.

picasso
1/21/2013, 06:45 PM
I'm going to try and ask this in the nicest way possible. Did Al ever know anything about sports? How did he become a radio personality? What is his background? I hear his show from time to time and I just can't figure out if he knows anything that's happening on the field/court/whatever. People call and ask questions and almost always seem to know more about what's going on than he does. If they differ from his opinion he just gets loud and "screachier" talking over them to drown them out. I can see a legacy type thing(like BB Sr.) being kept around because of former accomplishments which is why I am asking about his background because it seems like he is just there for the paycheck at this point.
Call him and ask him any kind of Sooner or sports history. You'll get smoked.

Hummila jibbala jumbalaya!

Phil
1/21/2013, 06:56 PM
Al's a good guy. The radio schtick is mostly an act he puts on. Except for the accent. He does have an atrocious accent.

okiewaker
1/21/2013, 07:04 PM
My take, from listening for years now, he is adept in his knowledge of OU football history, and music, but he is tired and does as little as possible to keep collecting a huge paycheck, don't blame him for it. Regardless, he's an icon round here and I hold him in high regard. JMO

SoonerorLater
1/21/2013, 07:14 PM
Al does know quite a bit trivia wise about OU. He can probably tell you every starting QB that has played since WWII but as far as providing insight into sports, well not so much. For a guy that has been around OU and the area as long as he has, he really doesn't ever come up with much as far as insider information goes.

The first hour of he and Traber are just a total waste of air time. I can almost stand it until Al starts in with the junior high school humor or goes into one of his tirades about the traffic. At this point maybe Al needs to contemplate retirement.

HateTheWhorns
1/21/2013, 07:22 PM
[QUOTE=lexsooner;3579712]I used to listen to his no class sports talk show on KTOK many years ago. He had no class and his callers even less. From what I recall, he is from New York and came to OU as an undergrad because it was supposed to be a party school. He was not a varsity athlete. He eventually graduated and went into sports journalism and worked as a writer for the long defunct Oklahoma Journal. He knew a lot about sports trivia and was obviously a sports nut. He did actually know a lot about OU football because of his contacts in the program. He could only reveal some information on the air. One friend of mine was sitting behind him during a scrimmage back when Kelly Phelps was given the nod over Shepard for quarterback. Eschbach was talking to a friend and saying how he felt Phelps got the start because he was a white boy from Oklahoma, even though Shepard was the better quarterback. Well, Al was actually right but he could not say that on the air. He would often give more realistic predictions about OU's season which fans did not like, but was probably based on information he gathered from his contacts. Now his callers were real doozies - "Hello, am I on the air. Sir, turn your radio down! Hello? Sir, there is a five second delay which is confusing you. Turn your radio down! Am I on the air, hello, hello! Well, I think OU should give lie detector tests to fans before they give out tickets because a bunch of Aggies go to games and I can't get tickets!" Yes, a caller really said this.[/QUOTE

Just a few years earlier, Thomas Lott was in competition with Jody Jimmerson and Dean Blevins (who I believe were both Norman HS boys). Lott was from San Antonio. Lott's successor was J.C. Watts (although I don't remember who he was competing against - Klopton maybe?). Either way, what you may have heard doesn't jive with Switzer's history of selecting starters.

yukonsooner
1/21/2013, 07:33 PM
Is his son Max now working for the Animal? Someone told me that, as I don't listen to them any longer

usmc-sooner
1/21/2013, 07:42 PM

I've heard stories about these trips. I wouldn't consider him a good guy or cool. I wouldn't want the guy around me personally. Met him in a bar in Pasadena once just came off as a creepy little old guy.

The lady who introduced me to him, somehow worked for his wife, I think they are divorced now. She blabbed to me about some weird stuff, then called him over (he wasn't drinking) and I was like hey man how you doing. He just replied "I'm so tired"

lexsooner
1/21/2013, 07:48 PM
[QUOTE=lexsooner;3579712]I used to listen to his no class sports talk show on KTOK many years ago. He had no class and his callers even less. From what I recall, he is from New York and came to OU as an undergrad because it was supposed to be a party school. He was not a varsity athlete. He eventually graduated and went into sports journalism and worked as a writer for the long defunct Oklahoma Journal. He knew a lot about sports trivia and was obviously a sports nut. He did actually know a lot about OU football because of his contacts in the program. He could only reveal some information on the air. One friend of mine was sitting behind him during a scrimmage back when Kelly Phelps was given the nod over Shepard for quarterback. Eschbach was talking to a friend and saying how he felt Phelps got the start because he was a white boy from Oklahoma, even though Shepard was the better quarterback. Well, Al was actually right but he could not say that on the air. He would often give more realistic predictions about OU's season which fans did not like, but was probably based on information he gathered from his contacts. Now his callers were real doozies - "Hello, am I on the air. Sir, turn your radio down! Hello? Sir, there is a five second delay which is confusing you. Turn your radio down! Am I on the air, hello, hello! Well, I think OU should give lie detector tests to fans before they give out tickets because a bunch of Aggies go to games and I can't get tickets!" Yes, a caller really said this.[/QUOTE

Just a few years earlier, Thomas Lott was in competition with Jody Jimmerson and Dean Blevins (who I believe were both Norman HS boys). Lott was from San Antonio. Lott's successor was J.C. Watts (although I don't remember who he was competing against - Klopton maybe?). Either way, what you may have heard doesn't jive with Switzer's history of selecting starters.

Well, I just know what my friend told me. I do remember Phelps and Shepard were close as far in their battle to start. I also recall Lott was way better than Blevins. Jody Jimerson? Can't recall him even being a factor.

SoonerorLater
1/21/2013, 08:03 PM
[QUOTE=HateTheWhorns;3579738]

Well, I just know what my friend told me. I do remember Phelps and Shepard were close as far in their battle to start. I also recall Lott was way better than Blevins. Jody Jimerson? Can't recall him even being a factor.

Am I just not remembering this correctly? Wasn't it between Phelps and Danny Bradley?

lexsooner
1/21/2013, 08:11 PM
[QUOTE=lexsooner;3579750]

Am I just not remembering this correctly? Wasn't it between Phelps and Danny Bradley?

I was referencing the 1981 season in which Phelps was in a battle with Derrick Shepard for the starting job. Phelps got the nod, but he had a bad habit of fumbling the snap and Shepard replaced him later in the season. Shepard was a senior, so Phelps took over the next season. After Phelps left, Danny Bradley took over in 1983.

Monster Zero
1/21/2013, 08:32 PM
[QUOTE=SoonerorLater;3579754]

I was referencing the 1981 season in which Phelps was in a battle with Derrick Shepard for the starting job. Phelps got the nod, but he had a bad habit of fumbling the snap and Shepard replaced him later in the season. Shepard was a senior, so Phelps took over the next season. After Phelps left, Danny Bradley took over in 1983.

That would have been Derrick's older brother Darroll.

lexsooner
1/21/2013, 08:38 PM
[QUOTE=lexsooner;3579758]

That would have been Derrick's older brother Darroll.

Yes, I stand corrected. It was Darrell Shepard. The late Derrick was a receiver for OU a few years later.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/21/2013, 08:57 PM
Pat Jones and Jim Traber are the only 2 guys on the radio locally with any sports knowledge..the rest are just regular radio people who watch some sports.

Salt City Sooner
1/21/2013, 11:41 PM
IMO, the Animal fell off a cliff when Jack passed. I personally don't even bother going there unless I'm coming back home from a game & I get out of KREF range.

Monster Zero
1/22/2013, 08:43 AM
Pat Jones and Jim Traber are the only 2 guys on the radio locally with any sports knowledge..the rest are just regular radio people who watch some sports.

Yeah, I've gotten to where I listen to Coach Jones some in the middle of the day, he does know his stuff and I like his dry sense of humor.

Just last week he was talking about a certain player for the Jets whose name isn't popular around here who was put into the punt team as "personal protector" (I didn't know that position existed but I suppose there has to be a name for everything) and got knocked down - thus the idea of playing him at TE probably ain't gonna work... (Coach Jones didn't seem to have a high opinion of the guy as a player in general either, it seemed)

Traber has his moments I suppose but he tends to talk about himself just a bit too much...

Speaking of Coach Jones and Traber, Coach Jones one time got on the subject of Traber and his bookie buddy called FatJack. I don't recall how it came up but Coach Jones said something about the "Fellowship of Christian Gamblers". I had to pull over, I thought I was gonna have a wreck in the truck.

starclassic tama
1/22/2013, 10:31 AM

with traber, are you referring to his baseball knowledge? because he does know a ton about baseball obviously. but hearing him talk about football or basketball can be cringe-worthy sometimes.

zeke
1/22/2013, 10:48 AM
I listened to Al & Traber for a while and still do on occasion during FB season. Its always been a puzzle to me how Eschbach got to be on a radio sports show. He does seem to have a good grasp on OU football history and seems like a fan but thats about it. His "humor" gets old pretty quick. How he stays on is still a puzzle.
Obviously nobody is going to agree with Traber all of the time but he does make some good observations from time to time. I dont like some of them but sometimes he hits the nail on the head, whether we SOONER FANS like it or not. I think his deal is to start some kind of an argument to get people pizzed off enough to call in so he can call them a yard bird.
Pat Jones is on a different level IMO. He has knowlege of the game, players, recruiting, coaching and is a funny guy. Brutally honest. He doesnt pull any punches. HE has been saying about OU over the last few years (and its turning out to be true) that at some point you have to evaluate the evaluators.

Mjcpr
1/22/2013, 10:50 AM
with traber, are you referring to his baseball knowledge? because he does know a ton about baseball obviously. but hearing him talk about football or basketball can be cringe-worthy sometimes.

Traber did play QB in college in addition to pro baseball. Granted, it was at osu but I think it still counts.

badger
1/22/2013, 11:45 AM
My Al story: I was walking around Texas fairgrounds after our loss in... 2006, I think? Anyways, Sports Animal had a trailer outside and I don't think they were on the air. An OU fan is talking to Al reasonably, not shouting or anything. Al is looking down on him (he looks like he is deliberately acting tall, since standing in the trailer is likely one of the few times he isn't shorter than every other adult) and is SHOUTING. Is is livid, he is going ballistic on this fan. I didn't come closer, as I was already annoyed that OU had lost (after having a halftime lead, grrrrrr).

A few other Al stories: the OU hoops program invited the media to play on LNC court a few offfseasons ago. It resulted in this funny (and I don't think it's farked) photo:
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1057/1231960737_ad578eb9ec.jpg?v=0

Also, last week Lost Ogle had someone send them a photo of Al by himself at Hooters talking to a waitress sitting at his table. (http://www.thelostogle.com/2013/01/17/shocking-al-eschbach-hangs-out-at-hooters-by-himself-photo/)

SoonerSpock
1/22/2013, 12:07 PM
I believe he's from Jersey, but that's close to New York. I also think he was a manager on the basketball team, if not mistaken. That being said, I think over the years, he's confused himself with someone important!

I was in school at OU a couple years ahead of Al and know Al somewhat. He was a manager of the basketball team for a short period but was terminated for stealing and/or selling OU basketball equipment. My family member who was on the basketball team when Al was said Esbach has virtually no knowledge about how the game of basketball is played but does know everything there is to know about the trivia of OU sports, primarily basketball and football.

Al is however invited and attends some of the players annual get togethers which would indicate to me he is likeable. He does like to let you know how much information about the Sooners he has. Has quite an ego but work is not his forte.

birddog
1/22/2013, 03:34 PM
My Al story: I was walking around Texas fairgrounds after our loss in... 2006, I think? Anyways, Sports Animal had a trailer outside and I don't think they were on the air. An OU fan is talking to Al reasonably, not shouting or anything. Al is looking down on him (he looks like he is deliberately acting tall, since standing in the trailer is likely one of the few times he isn't shorter than every other adult) and is SHOUTING. Is is livid, he is going ballistic on this fan. I didn't come closer, as I was already annoyed that OU had lost (after having a halftime lead, grrrrrr).

A few other Al stories: the OU hoops program invited the media to play on LNC court a few offfseasons ago. It resulted in this funny (and I don't think it's farked) photo:

Also, last week Lost Ogle had someone send them a photo of Al by himself at Hooters talking to a waitress sitting at his table. (http://www.thelostogle.com/2013/01/17/shocking-al-eschbach-hangs-out-at-hooters-by-himself-photo/)

badj, newborn and all, i am not surprised it was you who posted this pic. we know what al does, now we know what al is. i think those are swimmin britches he's got there.

badger
1/22/2013, 04:02 PM
For the record, the photo is not farked. A link to SS.com's gallery is here. (http://www.soonersports.com/view.gal?id=14732&startYear=2007) The media game was back in August 2007. You can another Al photo and other media peoples playing basketball by following the link

tycat947
1/22/2013, 04:22 PM
Traber did play QB in college in addition to pro baseball. Granted, it was at osu but I think it still counts.

That's a term used loosely! I believe I sat in OMH when he threw 4 or 5 interceptions in about 3 quarters of play!

picasso
1/22/2013, 06:21 PM
Jones brings some good insight but he's not always spot on and sometimes shows his true colors. He didn't think much of OU's QB chart in '07 preseason. He said there were no Elway's. And he still says there were better teams at Texas Tech before Mike Leach.
Mike Leach only changed the entire offensive landscape of the Big 12, that's all Patsy.

goingoneight
1/22/2013, 07:11 PM
Al's a good guy. The radio schtick is mostly an act he puts on. Except for the accent. He does have an atrocious accent.

^^^ This. He sat next to me during an OU Caravan before. Really good guy who has a character on the radio much like the characters you see on TV.

And yes, hearing him say words like ball (bwhual) and radiation (raddy-yay-shun) is like nails on a chalkboard. Haha

As for those who think he knows nothing about football, the guy has spent countless hours interviewing and conversing with all the greats and who's whos of Sooner football. That's more than 95% of us here can say.

BudSooner
1/22/2013, 07:35 PM
Al's a good guy. The radio schtick is mostly an act he puts on. Except for the accent. He does have an atrocious accent.This is true, back years ago he was doing a radio show on location at Pratts on 74th, all you heard was this northeasterner speaking louder than most of the customers in the store.
Funny guy and he does have a great memory for all things OU in his cranium, nice guy but yeah his "on air" personality is grating.

lexsooner
1/22/2013, 09:21 PM

I am more stunned at the ignorant political comments by posters to the KFOR website than anything regarding Al.

BoomerJ
1/23/2013, 02:14 PM
I'm not a big fan of Coach Jones when it comes to radio. Nothing against the guy. I know he's been around football for a long time and has forgottem more than I'll ever know, but being on the radio or tv has alot to do with delivery. I've never heard anyone talk more and not really say anything.

Al, on the other hand, is an idiot savant with an emphasis on idiot. However, I do enjoy it when he embarrases Dean on air.

TUSooner
1/25/2013, 10:32 AM
I always wondered how a guy with that accent could make it on Oklahoma radio, and why he would want to!

Flagstaffsooner
1/25/2013, 01:09 PM
I knew some people at WWLS in the late '80's. There was always people on the other side of the radio board giving Al info via a Commodore 64 computer.

King Crimson
1/27/2013, 08:16 AM
Jay Jimerson was the qb at Ohio State in 77 after Lott got hurt. JJ was a true FR and Blevins was a senior being juggled as replacements for Lott. Dean made a couple great plays in OU history (at NU in 76), but think about that next time Dean acts like he won the MNC for OU.

Switzer has said this a bunch....if Lott and Sims don't get hurt we blow out tOSU that day. now to be fair, outside the QB drop from Lott....the scrubs running backs we are giving the ball are David Overstreet and Elvis Peacock.....wow.

as for Al, he's just part of us now....he had some cred in the 70's and he's made a media career out of it. he ain't the first or last.

SoonerStormchaser
1/27/2013, 08:43 AM
Having a mom who's from Jersey...yah, I can bear the accent.

Al's restaurant wasn't bad...just poorly planned and overly advertised.

birddog
1/28/2013, 12:44 PM
Is his son Max now working for the Animal? Someone told me that, as I don't listen to them any longer

I was in Okc for thxgiving and I swear I heard em say max eschbech. Couldn't get complete confirmation but I think he works for the sports animoool. 2000 seems so long ago

nighttrain12
1/29/2013, 10:47 PM

You'd think after living in Oklahoma for decades he would lose that Jersey accent but I guess not. I do get a kick out of his bumper music being 50's and 60's classic tunes.

picasso
1/30/2013, 12:15 AM
Jay Jimerson was the qb at Ohio State in 77 after Lott got hurt. JJ was a true FR and Blevins was a senior being juggled as replacements for Lott. Dean made a couple great plays in OU history (at NU in 76), but think about that next time Dean acts like he won the MNC for OU.

Switzer has said this a bunch....if Lott and Sims don't get hurt we blow out tOSU that day. now to be fair, outside the QB drop from Lott....the scrubs running backs we are giving the ball are David Overstreet and Elvis Peacock.....wow.

as for Al, he's just part of us now....he had some cred in the 70's and he's made a media career out of it. he ain't the first or last.
Al has claimed if we get Mark Harmon in '72 he would have been our QB and we win the NC. Harmon once told Al that OU was ahem, his best recruiting trip.