PDA

View Full Version : Can Danny Glover get any stupider?

olevetonahill
1/19/2013, 11:55 PM
I bet we have some here on this board that will agree with his ignorant arse.

‘Lethal Weapon’ actor tells students Second Amendment was intended to preserve slavery

Actor and progressive political activist Danny Glover informed a group of students at a Texas A&M University-sponsored event that the Second Amendment was created to put down slave rebellions and subjugate Native Americans.

“I don’t know if you know the genesis of the right to bear arms,” Glover said on Thursday. “The Second Amendment comes from the right to protect themselves from slave revolts and from uprisings by Native Americans.”

http://news.yahoo.com/lethal-weapon-actor-tells-students-second-amendment-intended-051717897.html

Curly Bill
1/19/2013, 11:59 PM
That's so stupid as to be funny!

olevetonahill
1/20/2013, 12:05 AM
That's so stupid as to be funny!

No shat , and A&M Paid him to talk to em.

yermom
1/20/2013, 12:25 AM
did Chavez tell him that one?

olevetonahill
1/20/2013, 12:36 AM
did Chavez tell him that one?

I think they may have had a meeting on Mars er sompun.

Curly Bill
1/20/2013, 02:14 AM
No shat , and A&M Paid him to talk to em.

As a group the aTm folk are about as retarded as one can get.

diverdog
1/20/2013, 02:26 AM
Actually there is some historical fact to back Glover up.

from Patrick Henry

.Henry then bluntly laid it out:
"If the country be invaded, a state may go to war, but cannot suppress [slave] insurrections [under this new Constitution]. If there should happen an insurrection of slaves, the country cannot be said to be invaded. They cannot, therefore, suppress it without the interposition of Congress . . . . Congress, and Congress only [under this new Constitution], can call forth the militia."

Slave owners in the South were worried about a slave rebellion and not being able to put it down. There were more slaves in the South than Whites and this was a real issue for them.

As Thomm Hartman stated in the article the draft of the Constitution gave the power to regulate militias was given to the country and not the state. Henry, Madison and Mason were worried that if the slaves rose up only congress would have the ability to muster the militias. So country was changed to state.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Here is something else that was interesting:

. At the time the Constitution was ratified, hundreds of substantial slave uprisings had occurred across the South. Blacks outnumbered whites in large areas, and the state militias were used to both prevent and to put down slave uprisings. As Dr. Bogus points out, slavery can only exist in the context of a police state, and the enforcement of that police state was the explicit job of the militias.If the anti-slavery folks in the North had figured out a way to disband - or even move out of the state - those southern militias, the police state of the South would collapse. And, similarly, if the North were to invite into military service the slaves of the South, then they could be emancipated, which would collapse the institution of slavery, and the southern economic and social systems, altogether.
These two possibilities worried southerners like James Monroe, George Mason (who owned over 300 slaves) and the southern Christian evangelical, Patrick Henry (who opposed slavery on principle, but also opposed freeing slaves).
Their main concern was that Article 1, Section 8 of the newly-proposed Constitution, which gave the federal government the power to raise and supervise a militia, could also allow that federal militia to subsume their state militias and change them from slavery-enforcing institutions into something that could even, one day, free the slaves.

Now, I would not say the reason we have the 2nd Amendment was solely to preserve slavery. It is just one reason. Others had real fears of government oppression and a renewed war with England.

Blue
1/20/2013, 02:32 AM
Now, I would not say the reason we have the 2nd Amendment was solely to preserve slavery. It is just one reason. Others had real fears of government oppression and a renewed war with England.

Or they just wanted to be free. BE FREE. YOU MORON. How do you not get this and how do you call yourself a free man?

Blue
1/20/2013, 02:34 AM
I'll answer it for you. You are so dependant on this system that you cannot imagine a time when men could choose their own destiny. You are a sheep. You are officially anybody w/ powers wet dream. Congrats.

Blue
1/20/2013, 02:38 AM
Heh.

diverdog
1/20/2013, 02:56 AM
Or they just wanted to be free. BE FREE. YOU MORON. How do you not get this and how do you call yourself a free man?

Including the slaves? Do you honestly think they would allow slaves to own firearms back then? Do you think given the history of slave revolts in the South, the Caribbean, Brazil that this was not at least a concern?

Gloucester County, Virginia--Sept. 1663--This was the first major conspiracy for a possible slave rebellion. The plot by black slaves and white indentured servants was betrayed to the authorities. Several plotters were beheaded.

New York City Slave Rebellion--1712--25 slaves armed with guns and clubs burned down houses on the northern edge of New York City and killed nine whites. The rebels were killed after soldiers arrived. The repercussions of this rebellion resulted in the tortuous execution of 18 participants in the rebellion.

Cato's Conspiracy/Stono Rebellion--1739--Approximately 80 slaves armed themselves and attempted to march toward Spanish Florida from their home area of Stono, South Carolina. When confronted by a group of white militia, a battle ensued. Forty-four blacks and twenty-one whites perished.

New York Conspiracy--March and April, 1741-- Thirty-one slaves and four whites were executed as a result of rumors of a major slave rebellion in New York City.

Gabriel Prosser's Rebellion--1800--Gabriel Prosser, a blacksmith, and his brother Martin, a slave preacher, planned a major rebellion in Virginia. They recruited at least a thousand slaves to their cause and built up a secret cache of weapons in anticipation of marching on the state capital of Richmond. When the day of the revolt arrived though, a violent storm washed out the roads and bridges leading to Richmond. The rebels broke up and Prosser was betrayed by one of his followers. The state militia captured Prosser and he and many of his followers were hanged.

Slave rebellion in St. John the Baptist Parish --Jan 8-10, 1811-- Slave rebellion in Louisiana in which 500 slaves took part and 100 were killed. Louisiana had only recently joined the United States after the Louisiana Purchase of 1803.

Fort Blount--1816--Three hundred fugitive slaves and Florida Indians battled U.S. Army troops at Apalachicola Bay in Florida..

There were roughly 250 revolts by slaves in the US. Most were minor but they did happen.

diverdog
1/20/2013, 03:03 AM
And Blue before you went on your rant I was going to post the rest of the story;

-- Thomas Jefferson"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"

-- George Washington
"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed."

-- Alexander Hamilton, The Federalist Papers at 184-188

Clearly there were/are lots of reasons we should own firearms. Jefferson clearly laid out a lot of good reasons. However, to overlook the role that slavery played in forming the constitution is to ignore history itself.

Finally, I think the real debate was not over owning firearms but who controlled the militias. I don't think many states wanted to turn them over to a centralized and newly formed government.

Blue
1/20/2013, 03:04 AM
The "slaves" at that point could not gain their freedom from their African conquerors or their American conquerors. But they did ultimately gain freedom. 100 years later but its that freedom that drives us.

Maybe not you though. Maybe you need some babying? Maybe you need to be told how to be a nice citizen? You can't figure it out for yourself? Poor baby.

diverdog
1/20/2013, 03:13 AM
The "slaves" at that point could not gain their freedom from their African conquerors or their American conquerors. But they did ultimately gain freedom. 100 years later but its that freedom that drives us.

Maybe not you though. Maybe you need some babying? Maybe you need to be told how to be a nice citizen? You can't figure it out for yourself? Poor baby.

WTF are you ranting about. I am guessing you are drunk.

Blue
1/20/2013, 03:21 AM
WTF are you ranting about. I am guessing you are drunk.

Nah. You are just a liberal pansy. Thats it and thats all.

okie52
1/20/2013, 06:51 AM
For a change I don't see Glovers statement as being wrong which is in contrast to the many stupid statements he's made while sucking on chavez's dick along with Penn and Belafonte.

diverdog
1/20/2013, 07:39 AM
For a change I don't see Glovers statement as being wrong which is in contrast to the many stupid statements he's made while sucking on chavez's dick along with Penn and Belafonte.

Oh I agree. I am not a fan of his and his open racism would get white actors fired.

Ton Loc
1/20/2013, 05:32 PM
Nah. You are just a liberal pansy. Thats it and thats all.

If I'm Blue I'm going with drunk. 2:21am and all. Any other reason starts with dumb and ends somewhere around mentally incompetent.

None of this means Danny Glover isn't a crazy person.

C&CDean
1/20/2013, 07:03 PM
My boy Blue. Heh. We all got our vices...

8timechamps
1/20/2013, 08:11 PM
Why does anyone listen to anybody in Hollywood when it comes to anything political?

Soonerjeepman
1/20/2013, 11:49 PM
because people are dumbasses and they believe these actors are real people..

olevetonahill
1/21/2013, 12:41 AM
Blue Be the Man .

Blue
1/21/2013, 07:16 PM
I'm free to express my opinions as long as I don't namecall, so...wait, what? Nevermind.

Blue
1/21/2013, 08:05 PM
If I'm Blue I'm going with drunk. 2:21am and all. Any other reason starts with dumb and ends somewhere around mentally incompetent.

None of this means Danny Glover isn't a crazy person.

And for right now that is legal, my friend. I'm sure though when Sasha and Malia are Co-Presidents they'll rule that tying one on on a Saturday Night is not in the interest of the greater good.

nutinbutdust
1/21/2013, 09:05 PM
Someone should remind Mr Glover about the Supreme Court's McDonald decision (http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/09pdf/08-1521.pdf) which relies heavily on gun control's racist past to justify the decision. Or he could look up some of the old Jim Crowe laws enacted after the Civil War which were some of the first Gun Control laws passed by Southern Democrats. But hey lets not mix up facts or SCOTUS rulings with Glover's alternate reality.