PDA

View Full Version : CHICAGO! The Poster Child for Failed Gun Control

soonercruiser
1/19/2013, 02:49 PM
CHICAGO!
The Poster Child for Failed Gun Control

Written by John Caile on January 16, 2013

Chicago recently announced their firearm-related crime figures for 2012 – more than 2500 shootings and at least 513 homicides (we say “at least” because some of the victims haven’t died yet). Remember that this is in a city with among the most restrictive gun laws in the nation. In fact, Chicago has so many shootings that the Chicago Tribune devotes a special section to them:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/topic/crime-law-justice/crimes/shootings/020010001165.topic
The situation in Chicago is best illustrated by this single headline from last August:

13 people shot and wounded in 30 minutes of Chicago violence, including 8 on a single street
Chicago

Note that Illinois is the only state left in the nation where citizens have no ability to legally carry a gun for self-defense. In order to buy a gun, or even ammunition, an Illinois resident must produce a current FOID (Firearm Owners Identification) card. Chicago residents have yet more bureaucratic hoops to jump through, making it almost impossible to legally own a handgun, even after the city’s outrageously restrictive gun laws were rebuffed by the Supreme Court in the 2010 McDonald decision:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/06/28/AR2010062802134.html

And if anyone expected things in Chicago to change after Mayor Richard M. Daley retired and Rahm Emanuel took over, they were sadly mistaken. In spite of a rash of shootings over the Summer, the new mayor’s approach is little more than a rehash of Daley’s “blame the guns” stand.

But what is really astonishing about most of Chicago political and civic leaders is their steadfast refusal to confront reality. No matter how obvious the failure of their anti-gun programs, no matter how many gang shootings shatter the night, their response is always the same – “we need more gun laws.”

..the full story...
https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/legal-issues/chicago-the-poster-child-for-failed-gun-control/?utm_source=SilverpopMailing&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=CCR%2001-18-2013%20Members%20(4)&utm_content=

diverdog
1/19/2013, 04:04 PM
CHICAGO!
The Poster Child for Failed Gun Control

..the full story...
https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/legal-issues/chicago-the-poster-child-for-failed-gun-control/?utm_source=SilverpopMailing&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=CCR%2001-18-2013%20Members%20(4)&utm_content=

So the take away is to put even more guns into Chicago?

Doged
1/19/2013, 08:38 PM

Yes. Disarming the law abiding people makes little sense when you know the criminals will be armed with guns.

Tulsa_Fireman
1/19/2013, 09:23 PM
But on the other hand, if it were reflective of gun legislation in Illinois as a state, shouldn't you see relative numbers elsewhere?

I'm the first one to bow up and scream for the Feds to back off the firearms but is Chicago TRULY an example of failed firearms policy?

Or is Chicago just a crime-ridden ****hole?

cleller
1/19/2013, 09:44 PM
Its also the #1 city in the USA for bedbugs. What a hellhole.

soonercruiser
1/19/2013, 10:50 PM

Really????
Great reasoning...:torn:

olevetonahill
1/19/2013, 11:08 PM

Naw DD Ima thinkin the Thot prolly crossed someones mind that " Taking guns away from Law abiding Folk" aint done shat.

FaninAma
1/20/2013, 02:05 AM
But on the other hand, if it were reflective of gun legislation in Illinois as a state, shouldn't you see relative numbers elsewhere?

I'm the first one to bow up and scream for the Feds to back off the firearms but is Chicago TRULY an example of failed firearms policy?

Or is Chicago just a crime-ridden ****hole?
Probably both.

StoopTroup
1/21/2013, 10:12 PM
How many Chicago Gang Bangers have gone into an Elementary School and killed 20 five to seven year old Children?

Harry Beanbag
1/22/2013, 08:12 AM
I'm guessing the vast majority of these shootings are criminal on criminal? The police either aren't doing their jobs or they have made the decision to let the gangs kill each other off?

sappstuf
1/22/2013, 08:28 AM
I'm guessing the vast majority of these shootings are criminal on criminal? The police either aren't doing their jobs or they have made the decision to let the gangs kill each other off?

Yes.

OU68
1/22/2013, 11:39 AM
How many Chicago Gang Bangers have gone into an Elementary School and killed 20 five to seven year old Children?

So killing off 513 people one at a time is OK?

cleller
1/22/2013, 11:51 AM

In your typical crime-punishment paradigm, the certainty and severity of the punishment controls people's behavior, thus controlling crime.

There are relatively few bank robberies, because the banks take steps to discourage the robberies, and when they occur you generally have witnesses that are ready and willing to assist.
In the gang subculture you have participants that actively place themselves in hazardous situations, often inciting the violence themselves. Further, there are few witnesses that will assist at any level. Without witnesses to corroborate whatever evidence you may have, convictions are extremely difficult. On top of all that, proactive steps taken by police to try and control these behaviors are often met with hostility, suspicion, and scorn.

The law cannot help those who will not help themselves.

BillyBall
1/22/2013, 12:07 PM
Almost all of the shootings happen on the West and Southside. The violence is usually kids between 17-25 and I would estimate a quarter of those shot were innocent by standers. This year was really bad, everyday this summer there were 2-3 shot. On hot weekends that jumps up to 10-15 shot. It also hasn't helped that shutting down schools and consolidating students from rival neighborhoods/gangs.

And if you've been here, it's not a hell hole. However, there are parts of Iraq I would rather visit than the West or Southsides of this city.

Harry Beanbag
1/22/2013, 01:04 PM
In your typical crime-punishment paradigm, the certainty and severity of the punishment controls people's behavior, thus controlling crime.

There are relatively few bank robberies, because the banks take steps to discourage the robberies, and when they occur you generally have witnesses that are ready and willing to assist.
In the gang subculture you have participants that actively place themselves in hazardous situations, often inciting the violence themselves. Further, there are few witnesses that will assist at any level. Without witnesses to corroborate whatever evidence you may have, convictions are extremely difficult. On top of all that, proactive steps taken by police to try and control these behaviors are often met with hostility, suspicion, and scorn.

The law cannot help those who will not help themselves.

I understand, just pointing out how gun control laws have exactly zero to do with the problem. Less than zero maybe, completely unrelated. The smell of the tripe in menudo makes me want to vomit; therefore, I'm going to go chop down my neighbor's rose bush kind of way.

Turd_Ferguson
1/22/2013, 01:25 PM
Almost all of the shootings happen on the West and Southside. The violence is usually kids between 17-25 and I would estimate a quarter of those shot were innocent by standers. This year was really bad, everyday this summer there were 2-3 shot. On hot weekends that jumps up to 10-15 shot. It also hasn't helped that shutting down schools and consolidating students from rival neighborhoods/gangs.

And if you've been here, it's not a hell hole. However, there are parts of Iraq I would rather visit than the West or Southsides of this city.

You must have moved on up...to the east side...you finally got a piece of the pie...

Harry Beanbag
1/22/2013, 01:59 PM
To a delux apartment in the sky?

BillyBall
1/22/2013, 02:42 PM
You must have moved on up...to the east side...you finally got a piece of the pie...

Well near north side, about 3 miles north of the loop, a land with little to no violence...

diverdog
1/22/2013, 10:25 PM
I understand, just pointing out how gun control laws have exactly zero to do with the problem. Less than zero maybe, completely unrelated. The smell of the tripe in menudo makes me want to vomit; therefore, I'm going to go chop down my neighbor's rose bush kind of way.

menudo..............yum

Tulsa_Fireman
1/23/2013, 10:43 PM
Damn rose bushes and their stinky pig gut funk.