PDA

View Full Version : Obama Giving Driver Licenses to Illegals

okie52
1/19/2013, 12:31 PM
Obama administration eases path for ‘Dreamers’ to get behind the wheel

The Obama administration said Friday that illegal immigrants who qualify for its new non-deportation policy are now “considered to be lawfully present” in the U.S. — a legal status that could help them to get driver’s licenses.

Known as “Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals,” or DACA, the new policy grants a tentative status to most illegal immigrants who were brought to the U.S. before age 16 and who are 30 or younger.

But the policy has left states facing thorny legal questions about what benefits they can give to those who qualify — with driver’s licenses being a major issue.

The applicants are known as Dreamers because of a bill, the Dream Act, that would have granted them a full path to citizenship. That legislation has not passed, but President Obama used the same criteria to draw up his non-deportation policy.

Immigrant rights groups said Friday the new guidance should ease the way for Dreamers to get behind the wheel legally.

“Our local groups were hearing of too many Dreamers being denied driver’s licenses,” said Lorella Praeli, director of advocacy and policy at United We Dream. “Thanks to DACA, tens of thousands of Dreamers are in the workforce and contributing and state officials should no longer be able to deny [anyone who qualifies for DACA] a driver’s license.”

DACA, though, does not create a path to citizenship. Instead, it grants a stay of deportation and allows applicants to obtain a work permit.

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, the agency that oversees the policy, also released the latest data showing 154,404 people had been approved as of Jan. 17, with another 240,000 awaiting judgments. The vast majority of applicants — more than 290,000 — are from Mexico.

Some states had already moved ahead with granting driver’s licenses to those under the new policy, but other jurisdictions said their laws were more restrictive and would only apply to those “lawfully present” in the U.S.

USCIS on Friday clarified that those it approves do have that status.

“Although deferred action does not confer a lawful immigration status, your period of stay is authorized by the Department of Homeland Security while your deferred action is in effect and, for admissibility purposes, you are considered to be lawfully present in the United States during that time,” the new guidance said.

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/jan/18/administration-eases-path-dreamers-get-behind-whee/#ixzz2IRYLCZW3
Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter

One can only hope that many states will fight this or, in the very least, do all they can to delay the process. Next phase for Obama is to provide them with cars.

SanJoaquinSooner
1/19/2013, 01:30 PM
Okie, if they are now lawfully present, then they are not "illegals."

I had a neighbor who lived across the street from me. He started a business where customers ordered stuff on-line and he shipped it to them. One day he got a notice from the local Planning Commission saying he's illegally running a business in a home zoned residential. So he went to the Planning Commission and got a waiver approved. He walked in illegal and walked out legal.

Just what part of "lawfully present" do you not understand?

SanJoaquinSooner
1/19/2013, 01:34 PM
Okie, will you do background checks on customers to make sure they aren't "dreamers" before you sell them insurance?

okie52
1/19/2013, 01:38 PM

I had a neighbor who lived across the street from me. He started a business where customers ordered stuff on-line and he shipped it to them. One day he got a notice from the local Planning Commission saying he's illegally running a business in a home zoned residential. So he went to the Planning Commission and got a waiver approved. He walked in illegal and walked out legal.

You are right juan...Obama has decreed they are lawfully present in spite of the fact that congress has never approved their "legally present" status and has voted down attempts to do so.

Obama gets all of the credit. Hurray!!!

rock on sooner
1/19/2013, 01:42 PM
Here in IA, the DOT is dragging its feet on issuing licenses to the
"dreamers". To SJS's point in post #2, that is the argument that
the ACLU is using to force the issue with the DOT. Every dept in
IA is full of GOP appointments and it "appears" to be political in
their dealings with anything from Washington.

okie52
1/19/2013, 01:45 PM
Okie, will you do background checks on customers to make sure they aren't "dreamers" before you sell them insurance?

Insurance companies do their own checks on potential customers. Credit, driver licenses, age, marital status, driving record, prior insurance, etc... I have little to do with the approval process.

I am happy to report to you that this may cause a problem for the legally present "dreamers" as most young drivers are insured on their parents policies which substantially reduces their rates and improves their qualifying chances for low rated policies. Since their parents will probably not be legal nor do they probably have DL's or current insurance, this will put the dreamers in a high risk category and have extremely high rates. Of course, Obama can provide insurance for them along with vehicles, too. He is a giver.

One added joy to this in OK is if they have a license and no insurance their license will be suspended...perhaps that could throw them on the criminal list and be deported...unlikely but we can always hope.

okie52
1/19/2013, 01:49 PM
Here in IA, the DOT is dragging its feet on issuing licenses to the
"dreamers". To SJS's point in post #2, that is the argument that
the ACLU is using to force the issue with the DOT. Every dept in
IA is full of GOP appointments and it "appears" to be political in
their dealings with anything from Washington.

Good for Iowa....I thought you guys had gone totally blue.

yermom
1/19/2013, 01:59 PM
so you really want legally present people driving around without a license or insurance?

people on visas can get a license can't they?

sappstuf
1/19/2013, 02:07 PM

I'm sorry, did the law change? Obama cannot unilaterally change the law with a policy statement. You do understand that... Right?

They are illegals.

okie52
1/19/2013, 02:16 PM
so you really want legally present people driving around without a license or insurance?

people on visas can get a license can't they?

I don't want them "legally present" at all. I want them to leave. Obama's gets all of the credit for their "legally present" status as it has already been turned down on numerous occasions by congress.

There is a silver lining to this dark cloud created by Obama. Most young drivers are placed on their parents policy as it greatly reduces their rates. Since their parents probably don't have licenses and/or insurance, the "legally present" dreamers will be subject to very high rates. They will be required to have insurance, at least in OK anyway, and if they don't then their license will be suspended. Driving with a suspended license could get them in big trouble...maybe even enough trouble to make that criminal list Obama occasionally deports. Unlikely, but there's always hope.

okie52
1/19/2013, 02:26 PM
I'm sorry, did the law change? Obama cannot unilaterally change the law with a policy statement. You do understand that... Right?

They are illegals.

In Obama's eyes they are potential/future voters regardless of the negative consequences for the US. Obama is consistent, though (see energy policy).

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/19/2013, 02:35 PM
We will continue to experience the shat coming from the fan, for dog knows how long. As long as the handouts continue, America will be attractive to the prospective democrat voters from other countries. enjoy!

SanJoaquinSooner
1/19/2013, 02:46 PM

They are illegals.

He is not changing their immigration status. But one can be lawfully present with a non-immigrant status. You understand that, right?

yermom
1/19/2013, 02:52 PM
I don't want them "legally present" at all. I want them to leave.

then complain about that, the driving part seems like bs after the fact

i really don't get what is so offensive about "dreamers". could you explain it without using the word "illegal"?

soonercruiser
1/19/2013, 02:52 PM
Okie,
It is seems inevitable that the Dems and Moderate Repugs will make this "legal presence" a part of any comprehensive immigration law soon anyway.
:02.47-tranquillity:

okie52
1/19/2013, 03:18 PM
then complain about that, the driving part seems like bs after the fact

i really don't get what is so offensive about "dreamers". could you explain it without using the word "illegal"?

I did complain about just about everything Obama has done regarding illegals. I bashed w for it too but he didn't approach levels of immigration sabotage that Obama has put forth.

Their presence is offensive. Don't like the word illegal? How about "undocumented student" or "unwarranted taxpayer burden".

Do you think we "owe" these people an education? Citizenship? Benefits?

FaninAma
1/19/2013, 03:32 PM
I don't hold a strong opinion on this issue but Obama shouldn't be doing this unilaterally. That is the offensive part. It should be left up to the states. They are the ones that have to deal with the ramifications of immigration laws.

Obama is wondering into areas where he is guilty of micro-managing and it will bite him in the ***. His approval rating has already taken a hit over the gun issue.

yermom
1/19/2013, 03:35 PM
I did complain about just about everything Obama has done regarding illegals. I bashed w for it too but he didn't approach levels of immigration sabotage that Obama has put forth.

Their presence is offensive. Don't like the word illegal? How about "undocumented student" or "unwarranted taxpayer burden".

you miss the point. i don't care what you call them. sure, we aren't talking about citizens, but they already get an education (i'm still not really sure how that worked, honestly)

other than not liking how they got here, what is the problem?

if they were visiting here from France, would you object to them having a license?

secondly, really, where would you have them go? lots of them only know this country, and possibly only speak English. if your parents moved here from say, Germany, and you were just dropped off there abruptly, how do you think it would go?

i don't see where anyone has said to put them on welfare, but really if they are here, and we aren't going to deport them, why have obstacles for them to be productive? it's just like the war on drugs. it's out there, and putting it underground just makes the wrong people money and adds to crime. how much crime and exploitation is due to making it hard for illegals to be legitimately in this country? just hoping they go away isn't going to do anything about them leaving ER bills they can't pay, or being involved in crimes.

this problem isn't going away as long as we border a region that sucks.

okie52
1/19/2013, 03:36 PM
Okie,
It is seems inevitable that the Dems and Moderate Repugs will make this "legal presence" a part of any comprehensive immigration law soon anyway.
:02.47-tranquillity:

I hope the pubs don't cave because they are deluding themselves about the potential hispanic vote....they have never been repub supporters in the last 30 years.

okie52
1/19/2013, 03:44 PM
you miss the point. i don't care what you call them. sure, we aren't talking about citizens, but they already get an education (i'm still not really sure how that worked, honestly)

other than not liking how they got here, what is the problem?

if they were visiting here from France, would you object to them having a license?

secondly, really, where would you have them go? lots of them only know this country, and possibly only speak English. if your parents moved here from say, Germany, and you were just dropped off there abruptly, how do you think it would go?

i don't see where anyone has said to put them on welfare, but really if they are here, and we aren't going to deport them, why have obstacles for them to be productive? it's just like the war on drugs. it's out there, and putting it underground just makes the wrong people money and adds to crime. how much crime and exploitation is due to making it hard for illegals to be legitimately in this country? just hoping they go away isn't going to do anything about them leaving ER bills they can't pay, or being involved in crimes.

this problem isn't going away as long as we border a region that sucks.

Yeah, they already get an education on the taxpayers backs. There are 12,000,000 illegals here that are ultimately a burden to the US and its taxpayers.

Are you wanting to describe them as "visitors" like someone from France? Well the Frog visitors got permission from the US prior to their entry into this country. The embracing of those here illegally and at taxpayer expense only exacerbates the situation regarding illegal immigration just like unsecure borders and amnesty. Take away their jobs and benefits and they will leave for better places...the same incentive that brought them here.

Having a president fight to support employers that hire illegals just illustrates how absurd Hussein is regarding immigration.

rock on sooner
1/19/2013, 09:10 PM
I hope the pubs don't cave because they are deluding themselves about the potential hispanic vote....they have never been repub supporters in the last 30 years.

Hey, quitcher bitchin', ya got at least one in Florida, one in TX and
a governor in New Mexico and I'm sure a few more in states that
slip my mind...that's probably a landslide in tha makin'...:excitement:

SanJoaquinSooner
1/19/2013, 09:27 PM

If instate college tuition and having young folks serve in the military is such a taxpayer burden, why would we do it for citizens? Maybe you should fight taxpayer subsidies for college and make the military staffed with non-paid volunteers.

okie52
1/20/2013, 06:25 AM
If instate college tuition and having young folks serve in the military is such a taxpayer burden, why would we do it for citizens? Maybe you should fight taxpayer subsidies for college and make the military staffed with non-paid volunteers.

In state tuition is "subsidization" or didn't you know that was at a greatly reduced rate from what out of state students pay....and when you're not even a citizen of the United States it takes an incredible stretch of the imagination to declare you deserve "instate" tuition. Dreaming is a good name for it.

Illegals/non citizens shouldn't be serving in our military...they should be serving in Mexico's.

sappstuf
1/20/2013, 06:39 AM
He is not changing their immigration status. But one can be lawfully present with a non-immigrant status. You understand that, right?

One can be... But they don't qualify and Obama can't change that without changing the law.

okie52
1/20/2013, 06:42 AM
Hey, quitcher bitchin', ya got at least one in Florida, one in TX and
a governor in New Mexico and I'm sure a few more in states that
slip my mind...that's probably a landslide in tha makin'...:excitement:

I just noticed that new mexicos guv got her Jd from OU although she grew up in el paso. El paso is a real ****hole but it looks like paradise when you view that cesspool to the south.

okie52
1/20/2013, 06:43 AM
One can be... But they don't qualify and Obama can't change that without changing the law.

Obama doesn't have to change the law....he just will ignore it like he did his first 4 years.

sappstuf
1/20/2013, 07:04 AM
Obama doesn't have to change the law....he just will ignore it like he did his first 4 years.

That's true. He ignored nominating a person for the ATF Director position for 4 years and then put out an Executive Order ordering himself to fill the position last week.

Somehow, people consider this leadership.

rock on sooner
1/20/2013, 11:21 AM
I just noticed that new mexicos guv got her Jd from OU although she grew up in el paso. El paso is a real ****hole but it looks like paradise when you view that cesspool to the south.

Been several years since I was in El Paso, but when I was there I
found some really good eating establishments, even one in Ciudad Juarez.
"Course, back then, you could go back and forth, during the day, in
safety. Wouldn't dream of it now.

okie52
1/20/2013, 11:37 AM
Been several years since I was in El Paso, but when I was there I
found some really good eating establishments, even one in Ciudad Juarez.
"Course, back then, you could go back and forth, during the day, in
safety. Wouldn't dream of it now.

My son was stationed at Ft Bliss for about 4 years...loved the Mexican restaurants...cab drivers always trying to get us to go to juarez so I often stiffed them on the tip.

Soonerjeepman
1/20/2013, 04:48 PM
[QUOTE=yermom;3579272

i really don't get what is so offensive about "dreamers". could you explain it without using the word "illegal"?[/QUOTE]

lol...they are ILLEGAL..why would we NOT use that word? good grief.

Soonerjeepman
1/20/2013, 04:51 PM
In state tuition is "subsidization" or didn't you know that was at a greatly reduced rate from what out of state students pay....and when you're not even a citizen of the United States it takes an incredible stretch of the imagination to declare you deserve "instate" tuition. Dreaming is a good name for it.

Illegals/non citizens shouldn't be serving in our military...they should be serving in Mexico's.

I would have LOVED to gone to OU, but couldn't afford out of state tuition...or would love to send my kids there...but I'm a frickin USA citizen...damn should have been illegal...

yermom
1/20/2013, 05:10 PM
lol...they are ILLEGAL..why would we NOT use that word? good grief.

again, reading isn't a strong suit is it?

i'm not offended. i'm asking if there is another way you can describe them other than "illegals"

does it really matter if a low-life is legal or illegal? we are talking about people that could potentially be participating in society. what is wrong with that, other than being "illegal"? if they are granted non-deportation agreements, then they aren't exactly illegal, are they?

okie52
1/20/2013, 06:06 PM
I would have LOVED to gone to OU, but couldn't afford out of state tuition...or would love to send my kids there...but I'm a frickin USA citizen...damn should have been illegal...

Yep, Obama could have been your illegal supporting friend. Amazingly some don't find the irony in this.

FaninAma
1/20/2013, 06:33 PM
Yeah, its great that California is becoming more like them every day.

SanJoaquinSooner
1/20/2013, 06:38 PM

http://i995.photobucket.com/albums/af80/sanjoaquinsooner/thumb.jpg

okie52
1/20/2013, 06:42 PM
Yeah, its great that California is becoming more like them every day.

Amazing coast and climate and they will **** it up.

sappstuf
1/21/2013, 03:30 PM

Playing by the rules.....

Sucker.

okie52
1/21/2013, 03:38 PM
Hey juan, looks like the hispanics will be the majority by July of this year in CA....maybe you can start a migrant Californian class...for those leaving.

Ton Loc
1/21/2013, 04:24 PM
I'll let you guys complain because it doesn't really matter. Nothing is going to change. It didn't change with Bush and it sure isn't under Obama. They are here to stay, for now. Might as well address that problem as it is or you can hope Mexico continues to get its crap together. There is all kinds of evidence that less and less of them are coming over.

SanJoaquinSooner
1/21/2013, 04:29 PM
Hey juan, looks like the hispanics will be the majority by July of this year in CA....maybe you can start a migrant Californian class...for those leaving.

When my youngest sister-in-law lived with us my household was 60% latino, but now that she left it's 50% - if you count my kids as being half latino and half anglo.

Okie, people have been leaving California ever since they've been coming here following a dream that doesn't pan out.

btw, I think it's plurality, not majority.

okie52
1/21/2013, 04:35 PM
When my youngest sister-in-law lived with us my household was 60% latino, but now that she left it's 50% - if you count my kids as being half latino and half anglo.

Okie, people have been leaving California ever since they've been coming here following a dream that doesn't pan out.

btw, I think it's plurality, not majority.

Plurality...si. But the largest segment in CA and that divide will continue to grow.

SanJoaquinSooner
1/21/2013, 04:58 PM
Plurality...si. But the largest segment in CA and that divide will continue to grow.

So should my kids expect to split into?

okie52
1/21/2013, 05:01 PM
So should my kids expect to split into?

Maybe in California given California's desire to be Juarez...that anglo part may want to get the hell out of there.

I can safely say in OK my Chickasaw and Anglo body parts have not tried to leave.

rock on sooner
1/21/2013, 05:04 PM
Maybe in California given California's desire to be Juarez...that anglo part may want to get the hell out of there.

I can safely say in OK my Chickasaw and Anglo body parts have not tried to leave.

Why would Cali wanta be Juarez, which across from El Paso?

okie52
1/21/2013, 05:09 PM
Why would Cali wanta be Juarez, which across from El Paso?

Because it is sliding towards ****hole status...and there aren't many ****holes bigger than juarez.

SanJoaquinSooner
1/21/2013, 10:24 PM

Honestly, in California, it is so multiracial in the aggregate and so many individuals are biracial or multiracial, one becomes oblivious to it. The girl who cut my hair for many years, one day told me her mom was Indonesian and her dad was Finnish - all I knew was she looked exotic and attractive, but I didn't think of her in racial or ethnic terms. She was just a regular acting person who cut hair. In any large city, there is likely a section of town with a large percentage of recent Latino immigrants, but no one has to live there if they don't want to.

The everyday Mexican American is like anyone else, who will say something like, "How bout them 49ers? Did you watch the game?" Which is what the Latino butcher said to me at the store today. And then the Asian checker lady asked the same thing.

If people are wanting to leave California, it's more likely because they bought a house for $450,000 in 2004 that is now worth only $250,000. And maybe they lost their job because it is directly or indirectly tied to housing/construction which has been in a depression for 4 years.

okie52
1/21/2013, 10:52 PM
Honestly, in California, it is so multiracial in the aggregate and so many individuals are biracial or multiracial, one becomes oblivious to it. The girl who cut my hair for many years, one day told me her mom was Indonesian and her dad was Finnish - all I knew was she looked exotic and attractive, but I didn't think of her in racial or ethnic terms. She was just a regular acting person who cut hair. In any large city, there is likely a section of town with a large percentage of recent Latino immigrants, but no one has to live there if they don't want to.

The everyday Mexican American is like anyone else, who will say something like, "How bout them 49ers? Did you watch the game?" Which is what the Latino butcher said to me at the store today. And then the Asian checker lady asked the same thing.

If people are wanting to leave California, it's more likely because they bought a house for $450,000 in 2004 that is now worth only $250,000. And maybe they lost their job because it is directly or indirectly tied to housing/construction which has been in a depression for 4 years.

Cali has terrible economic policies and has had since the dems took over about 20 Years ago. That also has to do with their cultural decline and embracing illegals. Their tax rates are abhorrent and their regulations stifle business. Hell, they are putting in their own cap and trade while the state is dying economically. They deserve the hell they are largely creating for themselves.

nutinbutdust
1/21/2013, 10:57 PM
I find this whole thing interesting. Can anyone guess what form of ID is required to purchase a gun?

SanJoaquinSooner
1/22/2013, 10:34 AM
Cali has terrible economic policies and has had since the dems took over about 20 Years ago. That also has to do with their cultural decline and embracing illegals. Their tax rates are abhorrent and their regulations stifle business. Hell, they are putting in their own cap and trade while the state is dying economically. They deserve the hell they are largely creating for themselves.

Okie, you live in culturally sterile Edmond Oklahoma....the main cultural contribution has been adding "going postal" to the American Lexicon and being really close to Frontier City.

My parents moved to Edmond after I left home and many of my high school classmates moved from OKC to Edmond --- in all seriousness it is a nice, comfortable bedroom community. But many who left OKC to move there grew up in very modest track homes built in the 50s and 60s that won't be filled with the CEOs, STEM Ph.Ds and other affluent dwellers. They best be filled with people who have a burning desire to get ahead in life by taking advantage of upward mobility opportunities, and this set of people likely includes immigrants.

And yes, I've written many times about the economic problems of California, with its severe hangover from decades of good times. I read this week that Los Angeles city councilmen make $175,000 per year. One councilwoman got elected to U.S. congress and will have to take a pay cut! They pay that much because so much money was rolling in the coffers for so long that the bureaucrats got drunk on money.

Ton Loc
1/22/2013, 10:56 AM
Okie, you live in culturally sterile Edmond Oklahoma....the main cultural contribution has been adding "going postal" to the American Lexicon and being really close to Frontier City.

My parents moved to Edmond after I left home and many of my high school classmates moved from OKC to Edmond --- in all seriousness it is a nice, comfortable bedroom community. But many who left OKC to move there grew up in very modest track homes built in the 50s and 60s that won't be filled with the CEOs, STEM Ph.Ds and other affluent dwellers. They best be filled with people who have a burning desire to get ahead in life by taking advantage of upward mobility opportunities, and this set of people likely includes immigrants.

And yes, I've written many times about the economic problems of California, with its severe hangover from decades of good times. I read this week that Los Angeles city councilmen make $175,000 per year. One councilwoman got elected to U.S. congress and will have to take a pay cut! They pay that much because so much money was rolling in the coffers for so long that the bureaucrats got drunk on money.

There are billboards in LA that read, "Do the impossible, graduate High School." What else do you need to know about LA...I'll let you guess what group has the lowest graduation rate. Not to mention the mayor who cheated on his wife but not before taking her last name to better appeal to the spanish vote.

LA kinda sucks.

okie52
1/22/2013, 10:58 AM

I think we have a poster here that talks about the money he makes as a fireman along with paramed training...his retirement options were extraordinary.

Coastal communities are usually going to be much more ethnically diverse than inland communities...that's just the nature of the beast. But Cali's adamant embrace now of illegals after the state initially overwhelmingly resisted it 20 years ago shows the downward spiral. Bilingual schools, benefits, 2/3 of the largest ethnic segment of the population in the state at or near poverty level, hospitalization for illegals, instate tuition for illegals, along with Cali's ridiculous economic policies does not bode well for its future...particularly with the most rapidly growing segment that believes in big government.