PDA

View Full Version : Led Zep nerds

picasso
1/19/2013, 12:06 PM
I've been reading LOTR and the other day I had Zeppelin on Pandora and Ramble On rekindled my interest in Jimmy Page and Aleister Crowley's Bolskine House.

Wow, some interesting stuff on Youtube.

Lott's Bandana
1/19/2013, 03:36 PM
Misty Mountain Hop baby!

Ramble On dude, all the way to Mordor.

hawaii 5-0
1/19/2013, 04:41 PM
Lots of LOTR references in Zep's work.

5-0

StoopTroup
1/19/2013, 04:44 PM
"All of my Love"....not one of my favorite Zep Songs but I do like it. Interesting little tidbit....

With a winding synthesizer solo by Jones, the majestic "All My Love" is one of only two Zeppelin songs not written or co-written by Page. It's Plant's mystical tribute to his son Karac, who died in 1977 at age five. According to a friend, Page "hated 'All My Love,' but because it was about Karac, he couldn't criticize it."

http://assets.rollingstone.com/assets/images/list/306x306/allmylove-306x306-1351885493.jpg

8timechamps
1/19/2013, 05:02 PM
D'yer Mak'er for the win!

Years ago, I bought a CD called Encomium, it's a tribute (cover) to Zepp. Really pretty good.

http://cps-static.rovicorp.com/3/JPG_500/MI0000/068/MI0000068607.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Surprisingly, Sheryl Crow does a good job with D'yer Mak'er.

picasso
1/19/2013, 05:11 PM

Years ago, I bought a CD called Encomium, it's a tribute (cover) to Zepp. Really pretty good.

http://cps-static.rovicorp.com/3/JPG_500/MI0000/068/MI0000068607.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Custard Pie is the song that rocks that effin album.

No comments on Crawley's haunted home on Loch Ness? Pretty interesting and sinister.

cleller
1/19/2013, 05:23 PM

No comments on Crawley's haunted home on Loch Ness? Pretty interesting and sinister.

I guess that was the house where page was sitting on the ground at the beginning of the movie, The Song Remains The Same. That whole Crowley business bothered me, as I like LZ, but don't go in for that occult stuff at all. Page also own an occult book store in London for awhile I believe.

pphilfran
1/19/2013, 06:40 PM
You have missed a treat if you haven't seen the Celebration Day video ...

http://www.ledzeppelin.com/
PD-MdiUm1_Y

pphilfran
1/19/2013, 06:55 PM
Only a few free releases...

fpigDGf6vXM

cleller
1/19/2013, 07:40 PM
Yep, I probably get that. Likely the last time they'll all be on stage together. If so, at least they went out with a bang.

picasso
1/19/2013, 07:46 PM
I guess that was the house where page was sitting on the ground at the beginning of the movie, The Song Remains The Same. That whole Crowley business bothered me, as I like LZ, but don't go in for that occult stuff at all. Page also own an occult book store in London for awhile I believe.
Yeah, Crowley did some especially strange and horrid things in that old house. It's where Page wrote stairway to heaven. But, the house had a long history besides that.
I'm no occultist either but I find that stuff interesting just the same. I hadn't realized it was on Loch Ness. It's a beautiful place.

8timechamps
1/19/2013, 08:48 PM

Now I'm going to have to dig it up and listen to it. I'll report my findings.

BigTip
1/19/2013, 10:17 PM
I was just going to post one of my most asked nerdy Zep trivia questions, that being, "Why is "Gallows Pole" unique?"

(pause for you to answer)

It's the only Led Zeppelin song to use a banjo.

But, as I was listening to it, and reading the lyrics just now, I saw something that I didn't know, and still don't believe what I read.
You tell me what you think; At the end of the song, who is swinging from the Gallows Pole?
I really like the song. I've listened to it hundreds of times. What the on line lyrics say, and what I have always heard, are very different though.

8timechamps
1/19/2013, 10:38 PM
I was just going to post one of my most asked nerdy Zep trivia questions, that being, "Why is "Gallows Pole" unique?"

(pause for you to answer)

It's the only Led Zeppelin song to use a banjo.

But, as I was listening to it, and reading the lyrics just now, I saw something that I didn't know, and still don't believe what I read.
You tell me what you think; At the end of the song, who is swinging from the Gallows Pole?
I really like the song. I've listened to it hundreds of times. What the on line lyrics say, and what I have always heard, are very different though.

****'s swingin' on the Gallows Pole.

No?

cleller
1/20/2013, 11:07 AM
Don't know if the answer is here, but lots of trivial trival:

http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=322

yermom
1/20/2013, 11:13 AM

STP and Sheryl Crow were all over the radio with those songs when it came out. Dancing Days is pretty good too. i haven't heard the rest in a while.

on the subject of covers, this is pretty kickass as well:

http://theblackcrowesmobile.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/The-Black-Crowes-Live-At-The-Greek-With-Jimmy-Page-2000.jpg

cover might not be right word since Jimmy Page was involved though :D

GDC
1/20/2013, 03:58 PM
I saw Page and Plant a few years ago. Guess that's the closest I'll ever get to seeing Led Zepp live.

yermom
1/20/2013, 04:08 PM
i for some reason didn't jump on going to that show. i really don't know why.

i saw Robert Plant at Cain's in 2005. it was pretty awesome.

picasso
1/20/2013, 07:48 PM
That Page and Black Crowes album is some seriously good stuff.

King Crimson
1/20/2013, 08:19 PM
i'm a fan of that black crowes page lp. features so many tunes from III like out on the tiles. for real, not a huge all out fan of the BC's really, but they really learned the songs and jimmy was sober to play his off mostly. drummer plays with some bonzo size sticks.

i've posted this before surely but i drank jimmy page's beer at a crap club in lake tahoe once. he sat in with a lame local cover band and he wasn't great....but he was still jimmy page. rock god. rolled in with a bunch of really young girls. and the riff for communication breakdown is his. and he played it. he left his lite beer from miller on the stage...and i finished it. seemed like the thing to do.

picasso
1/20/2013, 10:04 PM
Good gawd man, you've done taken the devil's drink!

cleller
1/20/2013, 10:32 PM
i've posted this before surely but i drank jimmy page's beer at a crap club in lake tahoe once. he sat in with a lame local cover band and he wasn't great....

Now I've heard for years that at times Page has had an off night or two, maybe during stretches of inactivity, but this still sounds almost blasphemous. This man has laid down more great and huge sounds via the guitar than any man who ever lived. (at least in my version of the world) He must have just been acting polite so as not to embarrass the yokels.

Also:
I tried to research into the meaning of Boleskine House, but all I can find is that it is of Gaelic origin. (Both Fhleisginn). It seems like any house over there that is over 100 years old has its own name.

The Brits are a funny bunch. They name everything, and still it sounds quaint and sensible. Some towns have a short sentence for a name. Its always something goofy, like Strapon upon Dryhump, yet it just rolls right off the tongue. They probably could name someplace Butterfinger House and no one would bat an eye.

BigTip
1/21/2013, 04:33 PM
I really like the song. I've listened to it hundreds of times. What the on-line lyrics say, and what I have always heard, are very different though.

Okay, here's the deal.
I always thought that it was an ironic ending in that the sister was so ashamed of what she had done for the brother that she committed suicide on the gallows pole.
"and now I laugh oh so hard cause she's swinging from the gallows pole."
I just listened to it several times on Youtube, playing just that line. I swear that's what he sings.

BUT, the lyrics sites say that this is what he is singing:
"But now I laugh and pull so hard And see you swinging on the Gallows Pole."

The internet sites that discuss this song say that it is an old song, and that Zeppelin's ending is different from traditional as the hangman goes ahead and hangs him anyway.

My whole world is shattered by this. Okay, not really, but it is strange to me.

Robert Plant is living here in Austin. There have been sightings all over the place.

KantoSooner
1/21/2013, 05:12 PM
Can anyone on here honestly deny an almost overpowering urge, when viewing Loch Ness, to go slalom ski that sucker at about 65 mph? Extra long rope for ferocious cuts across the wake; laying out so that your shoulder's almost in the water and your ski is starting that little skid thing that happens just prior to losing grip and that you can only really pull off on mirror smooth water.
You'd have to have a full wet suit, but it would dazzle and confound the locals. You'd most likely end the day as the toast of some pub.
And you could do it with the boat's sound system blasting Kashmir at about 500 dBs out the back.
I win friends and influence people.

hawaii 5-0
1/21/2013, 05:29 PM
Nice visual thoughts. Thanks.

I hope to be there next Sept. Minus the slalom ski.

5-0