PDA

View Full Version : Interesting bit of info about our new stadium...

SicEmBaylor
1/17/2013, 09:04 PM
I know nobody really gives a ****, but I thought I'd share anyway because this is kind of a big big f'n deal...for us anyway.

A guy on the Baylor forums who was looking into getting a suite or loge box at the new stadium was told by the BBF (Baylor Bear Foundation) that both the suites and loge boxes would have fridges and that people would have the option of having the fridges "stocked" with their choice of booze by a private company. Baylor itself isn't stocking the fridges, but they're allowing people the option of having an outside company do it. Therefore, alcohol will be available at Baylor in limited circumstances. You won't be able to buy it at the concession, obviously, but this is a big big step for Baylor.

I think this will really help sell boxes. This goes along with Baylor's tailgate policy concerning alcohol which amounts to "see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil." If it's out of sight and out of mind then it's fine.

agoo758
1/17/2013, 09:12 PM
Baylor fans, if you are going to post on a sooner board, please don't post threads about Baylor's football stadium...on a SOONER board.

Ruf/Nek7
1/17/2013, 09:13 PM
Pretty cool. When will the stadium be ready to go? I live in Killeen and my dad, bro, and I. Always go to the OU/Baylor game in Waco. It would be great to experience the new stadium.

SicEmBaylor
1/17/2013, 09:16 PM
Pretty cool. When will the stadium be ready to go? I live in Killeen and my dad, bro, and I. Always go to the OU/Baylor game in Waco. It would be great to experience the new stadium.

2014 season. Last game at Floyd Casey is the upcoming season against Texas. They're actually ahead of schedule because they got the necessary clearance from the Corps of Engineers faster than expected. However, I don't know if we play OU in Norman or Waco that year. I think it might be Norman...

SicEmBaylor
1/17/2013, 09:17 PM
Baylor fans, if you are going to post on a sooner board, please don't post threads about Baylor's football stadium...on a SOONER board.
I rarely do, but I think I'll continue to do so when the mood suits me. It's "Big 12 relevant" and there are plenty of "Big 12 relevant" threads on this board and others.

salth2o
1/17/2013, 09:25 PM
Why do you have to take two Baptist with you when you go fishing?

If you bring one, he'll drink all of your beer.

SicEmBaylor
1/17/2013, 09:29 PM
Out of curiosity, how does the alcohol situation work at most public universities? You can have booze at a tailgate, right? But I'm pretty sure they don't sell it in the stadium since I never recall seeing it there. I've honestly never looked for alcohol at other stadiums, so I'm not real sure where or if they serve it at all.

yermom
1/17/2013, 09:29 PM
2014 season. Last game at Floyd Casey is the upcoming season against Texas. They're actually ahead of schedule because they got the necessary clearance from the Corps of Engineers faster than expected. However, I don't know if we play OU in Norman or Waco that year. I think it might be Norman...

the schedule is currently Waco in odd numbered years

8timechamps
1/17/2013, 09:32 PM
Out of curiosity, how does the alcohol situation work at most public universities? You can have booze at a tailgate, right? But I'm pretty sure they don't sell it in the stadium since I never recall seeing it there. I've honestly never looked for alcohol at other stadiums, so I'm not real sure where or if they serve it at all.

OU has booze in the suites, as do most schools' stadiums. There are a few stadiums in the country that sell booze at the concessions, but not more than a dozen.

salth2o
1/17/2013, 09:35 PM
University of Houston sold it last year in the stadium.

A quick google search showed that 21 universities sell beer and 11 of those are on campus.

SicEmBaylor
1/17/2013, 09:36 PM
OU has booze in the suites, as do most schools' stadiums. There are a few stadiums in the country that sell booze at the concessions, but not more than a dozen.

So then we'll be on par with the rest of the country and conference in regard to alcohol then. That's good. I'm not a fan of archaic Baptist-based rules.

olevetonahill
1/17/2013, 09:45 PM
Next thing ya know they gonna allow Dancing then Encourage Fornicatin, Where will it all end?

olevetonahill
1/17/2013, 10:07 PM

nOObs, If yer gonna post dumbassed Posts about a Long Time Poster here Know WTF is going on 1st.

SicEmBaylor
1/17/2013, 10:10 PM
Next thing ya know they gonna allow Dancing then Encourage Fornicatin, Where will it all end?

Dancing has been allowed since the 90s. Fornication is the last barrier to break before the apocalypse.

olevetonahill
1/17/2013, 10:18 PM
Dancing has been allowed since the 90s. Fornication is the last barrier to break before the apocalypse.

****in Sinners!
Yall goin to Hell, Oh wait yer already in Waco.e

TanTanFeil
1/17/2013, 10:21 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

8timechamps
1/17/2013, 10:39 PM
So then we'll be on par with the rest of the country and conference in regard to alcohol then. That's good. I'm not a fan of archaic Baptist-based rules.

Is there another school in the FBS that's like BYU? Didn't they have a basketball player a few years ago that got kicked off the team (and out of school) for having sex with his girlfriend? At least Baylor isn't BYU.

SicEmBaylor
1/17/2013, 10:51 PM
Is there another school in the FBS that's like BYU? Didn't they have a basketball player a few years ago that got kicked off the team (and out of school) for having sex with his girlfriend? At least Baylor isn't BYU.
Baylor really isn't strict like that. I had more religion crammed down my throat in public HS than I ever did in college. If religion isn't your thing then you'd almost never notice that Baylor has a religious affiliation.

BYU on the other hand is insane....and yes a player got kicked off the team for having sex with his girlfriend. Years ago I read somewhere that couples wanting to date have to have an official university "chaperon" and you aren't even supposed to have the opposite sex in your off-campus apartment.

There are other schools like that. Bob Jones, Oral Roberts, and I think Liberty University is pretty damned strict. I can't think of another FBS school though there might be one or two. Hell, OBU is far more strict than Baylor is.

olevetonahill
1/17/2013, 10:52 PM
Baylor really isn't strict like that. I had more religion crammed down my throat in public HS than I ever did in college. If religion isn't your thing then you'd almost never notice that Baylor has a religious affiliation.

BYU on the other hand is insane....and yes a player got kicked off the team for having sex with his girlfriend. Years ago I read somewhere that couples wanting to date have to have an official university "chaperon" and you aren't even supposed to have the opposite sex in your off-campus apartment.

There are other schools like that. Bob Jones, Oral Roberts, and I think Liberty University is pretty damned strict. I can't think of another FBS school though there might be one or two. Hell, OBU is far more strict than Baylor is.

F*uck em if they cant take a joke.

SicEmBaylor
1/17/2013, 11:13 PM
F*uck em if they cant take a joke.

Yep. The idea of a school monitoring what I drink, eat, and do with my girlfriend in the privacy of my own home is pretty damned scary.

goingoneight
1/17/2013, 11:23 PM
What you do is the scary part to them. :D

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
1/17/2013, 11:41 PM

How the Hell did Jim McMahon ever survive at BYU?

Soonerjeepman
1/18/2013, 12:36 AM
Yep. The idea of a school monitoring what I drink, eat, and do with my girlfriend in the privacy of my own home is pretty damned scary.

then don't go there...pretty simple answer.

BajaOklahoma
1/18/2013, 12:42 AM
I'm going to miss Floyd Casey Stadium. We park 3 rows away from the stadium, set up our tailgate, and end up in our 50 yard seats.
The parking for the new stadium is not nearly as nice.

SicEmBaylor
1/18/2013, 01:31 AM
I'm going to miss Floyd Casey Stadium. We park 3 rows away from the stadium, set up our tailgate, and end up in our 50 yard seats.
The parking for the new stadium is not nearly as nice.
Parking is going to be a huge problem at the new stadium if you don't want to walk a little. If you don't mind a 10minute walk or so then it shouldn't be a problem. The Ferrell center has a ton of parking, and there's a sizable parking garage just across from the new BSB (Baylor Science Building). My recommendation, if you don't mind the walking, is to park at the BSB garage.

I have no idea what the new stadium seating will actually be like, but I do know the seats are much closer to the field than at Floyd Casey. Getting a good ticket there may be a bit difficult at Baylor Stadium than at Floyd Casey unless we return to Steele-era suckitude.

Tailgating will be a LOT better.

SicEmBaylor
1/18/2013, 01:31 AM
then don't go there...pretty simple answer.
I didn't suggest that I was.

SicEmBaylor
1/18/2013, 01:38 AM
All and all, I think the experience will be end up being much better for opposing fanbases. It wasn't that FCS was horrible, but it lacked a lot of amenities most conference opponents have come to expect. The bathrooms were abysmal (or so I hear since I don't use public restrooms much less a stadium restroom).

For a long time, I think a lot of the complaints were silly considering opposing fans could get the cheapest tickets in the conference (often for free) and sit virtually anywhere they wanted in the stadium with a perfect view of the field. A lot of the comforts weren't there, but there are always tradeoffs. I think the new stadium will provide a lot of those comforts but the ability to sit anywhere and have rows of empty seats around you to stretch out will be a thing of the past.

I've heard people suggest the parking should be a lot better since it will be on campus and students can just walk, but the problem there is that Baylor does not have upperclassmen living on campus. Baylor residents are almost entirely freshmen. There are a few of course but once you're a sophomore everyone gets an apartment. HOWEVER, a lot of those apartments are in that area and on campus so it may end up being the case that parking will be better.

I honestly don't know. I'm excited to find out though!

TheHumanAlphabet
1/18/2013, 10:39 AM
So will the stadium be named the Grocery Bowl???

texaspokieokie
1/18/2013, 10:40 AM
I've been to FCS 4 times & i enjoyed it. I thot it was a nice stadium.

Do you know why Baptists never have sex standing up ???

They're afraid people will think they're dancing.

C&CDean
1/18/2013, 10:45 AM
Wait. Sicem doesn't use public ****houses? What do you do when you have to ****? Or ****?

tycat947
1/18/2013, 04:54 PM
HYPOCRITES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Flagstaffsooner
1/18/2013, 05:43 PM
SicEm, you do realize that when the new expansion of the Big XII comes along you will be tossed. You dont have prune faced Ann Richards to stand up for you anymore. All that for Conference USA.

SicEmBaylor
1/18/2013, 05:55 PM
SicEm, you do realize that when the new expansion of the Big XII comes along you will be tossed. You dont have prune faced Bob Bullock to stand up for you anymore. All that for Conference USA.

Well, we have that athletic and academic success to fall back on now I suppose.

.....and entire warehouses of well trained attorneys. ;)

BajaOklahoma
1/18/2013, 06:27 PM
All and all, I think the experience will be end up being much better for opposing fanbases. It wasn't that FCS was horrible, but it lacked a lot of amenities most conference opponents have come to expect. The bathrooms were abysmal (or so I hear since I don't use public restrooms much less a stadium restroom).

For a long time, I think a lot of the complaints were silly considering opposing fans could get the cheapest tickets in the conference (often for free) and sit virtually anywhere they wanted in the stadium with a perfect view of the field. A lot of the comforts weren't there, but there are always tradeoffs. I think the new stadium will provide a lot of those comforts but the ability to sit anywhere and have rows of empty seats around you to stretch out will be a thing of the past.

I've heard people suggest the parking should be a lot better since it will be on campus and students can just walk, but the problem there is that Baylor does not have upperclassmen living on campus. Baylor residents are almost entirely freshmen. There are a few of course but once you're a sophomore everyone gets an apartment. HOWEVER, a lot of those apartments are in that area and on campus so it may end up being the case that parking will be better.

You're SicEm, so of course you are wrong.
Parking for the non-donors is going to be much worse. Exiting the area has been a breeze by going opposite of most of the traffic - and we beat them to 35. The river is limiting options for entering and leaving. I anticipate an extra 45 minutes to just get out of the parking lots.
I expect that we will still be able to get tickets (we get a block of 16-20) without difficulty. It's like another home game.
The only question is will they cover the endzone in the new stadium too?

1/18/2013, 08:23 PM
The difference between Baylor fans and guests in the suites? The visitors acknowledge each other while in line.

If booze is offered, this will be a fundamental problem for the baptists.

SicEmBaylor
1/18/2013, 08:28 PM
You're SicEm, so of course you are wrong.
Parking for the non-donors is going to be much worse. Exiting the area has been a breeze by going opposite of most of the traffic - and we beat them to 35. The river is limiting options for entering and leaving. I anticipate an extra 45 minutes to just get out of the parking lots.
I expect that we will still be able to get tickets (we get a block of 16-20) without difficulty. It's like another home game.
The only question is will they cover the endzone in the new stadium too?
No tarp! I hope they burn that thing unceremoniously. The new scoreboard endzone is open so no tarp necessary.

The difference between Baylor fans and guests in the suites? The visitors acknowledge each other while in line.

If booze is offered, this will be a fundamental problem for the baptists.
It shouldn't be too big a problem so long as it doesn't cause problems. I suspect if people start acting like drunken idiots then it may be an issue but if everyone behaves then Baylor can continue its successful 'head in the sand' policy.

StoopTroup
1/18/2013, 08:40 PM
So the parking will suck but tailgating will be better. Sounds logical. :wink:

FaninAma
1/18/2013, 08:42 PM

Apparently suite ticket holders can bring their own alcohol to their suites before game day. They can't have it brought in by a 3rd party. At least that is my understanding.

Sooner70
1/19/2013, 10:29 AM
Where is new stadium being built, and what wil happen to Floyd Casey facility once new one is done? Whatever happens I bet they save that statue of Grant Teaff & the Miracle on the Brazos plaque when they unexpectedly beat Texas back in '70s.

Went to game there once, and besides being a ways off campus, seemed like an OK stadium.

8timechamps
1/19/2013, 03:56 PM
Apparently suite ticket holders can bring their own alcohol to their suites before game day. They can't have it brought in by a 3rd party. At least that is my understanding.

Could be, I've only been in the suites twice, and only as a guest.

8timechamps
1/19/2013, 03:57 PM
Hey Sic'Em, when is the stadium supposed to be open?

SicEmBaylor
1/19/2013, 08:41 PM
Hey Sic'Em, when is the stadium supposed to be open?
It'll be ready for the start of the 2014 season.

SicEmBaylor
1/19/2013, 08:44 PM
Where is new stadium being built, and what wil happen to Floyd Casey facility once new one is done? Whatever happens I bet they save that statue of Grant Teaff & the Miracle on the Brazos plaque when they unexpectedly beat Texas back in '70s.

Went to game there once, and besides being a ways off campus, seemed like an OK stadium.
The new stadium is being built on-campus on the north side of the Brazos river directly across from the law school and the riverfront athletic facilities and immediately adjacent to I-35.

Currently, the plan is to tear down FCS unless it can be sold or re-purposed.

More info can be found here: http://baylor-stadium.com/

tycat947
1/19/2013, 10:26 PM
SicEm, you do realize that when the new expansion of the Big XII comes along you will be tossed. You dont have prune faced Ann Richards to stand up for you anymore. All that for Conference USA.

Sorry, but Ann didn't have anything to do with Hypocrite U to the Big 12. I think that was Bullock, lt. governor or such.

SoonerSpock
1/22/2013, 01:16 PM

Nothing scary about leaving in an environment and going to a schools with such rule when it is known that those standard exist prior to enrolling. It is called choice and if you cannot comply don't attend. Too much concern about trying to change something that should not concern them. Allow those that want that environment to have that environment.

badger
1/22/2013, 01:53 PM
What I have discovered through meltdown searches is that Baylor fans are by no means our Christian superiors in the conference. You know, hospitable, friendly, warm and likeable. Those were the Nebrasky Huskers and they left a few years ago. Now I'm not sure who it is... whoever is most apathetic, I guess. KU in football and TCU in basketball, I guess (NEVER tech).

Congrats on your new stadium... but if you guys can't figure out a way to fill your existing one, despite your RG3 Heisman, despite cracking the top 25 more often, despite being a bowl bound regular in your offseason... eff you guys. Eff your Big 12 membership, eff your entire fanbase. Get your sh!t together immediately or go to the Sun Belt.

badger
1/22/2013, 04:15 PM
Speaking of the Bails, anyone else see their new helmets?
http://www.cbssports.com/images/collegefootball/baylorgoldhelmet.jpg

Ruf/Nek7
1/22/2013, 04:31 PM

All it needs is the Virgin Mary decal on the back.
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTxb7Bi59lAeLIVPxGg-2GrqOK3s4uT5WQe1UiwNd2Mf6qOZlBYI7bAaA:www.theworko fgod.org/Images/OurLady.jpg

BoomerJ
1/22/2013, 05:53 PM
When I saw the thread I thought I was going to read about another Sooner brick mason that left an OU in his work.

SicEmBaylor
1/22/2013, 06:10 PM
The new helmets are ghastly. They also had a new flat-black with green "BU" that I like much better.

SicEmBaylor
1/22/2013, 06:11 PM
Nothing scary about leaving in an environment and going to a schools with such rule when it is known that those standard exist prior to enrolling. It is called choice and if you cannot comply don't attend. Too much concern about trying to change something that should not concern them. Allow those that want that environment to have that environment.
Uh, I never suggested they shouldn't have whatever rules they want. I did choose to go to a private school after all. I was just saying that I personally would not want to go to a school that monitored my social/off-campus life.

8timechamps
1/22/2013, 06:20 PM
The new helmets are ghastly. They also had a new flat-black with green "BU" that I like much better.

Unfortunately, the chrome look is gaining popularity, so we're going to see a lot more helmets like that. TCU had theirs this year, now Baylor has one. I like the flat green helmets the Bears have, but I always thought they should wear them with the all green uni. They seemed to wear white helmets when they wore those.

SicEmBaylor
1/22/2013, 06:24 PM
Unfortunately, the chrome look is gaining popularity, so we're going to see a lot more helmets like that. TCU had theirs this year, now Baylor has one. I like the flat green helmets the Bears have, but I always thought they should wear them with the all green uni. They seemed to wear white helmets when they wore those.
I know they claim recruits want this kind of ****, but I wish to God we had a set classic looking "brand" that would instantly be recognizable. I like the classic look. And you're right, I liked the flat green helmets and green uniform.

8timechamps
1/22/2013, 06:30 PM
I know they claim recruits want this kind of ****, but I wish to God we had a set classic looking "brand" that would instantly be recognizable. I like the classic look. And you're right, I liked the flat green helmets and green uniform.

Baylor is one of the few schools that is in a unique situation (I would include Oklahoma State in there too). This generation will relate Baylor's football "brand" to their multiple uniforms. The upside is that recruits do indeed like that stuff. The downside is that old-school fans/alumni that like the classic look are frustrated.

I go back and forth with OU, I love the traditional uniform, but sometimes wish we had something different once in a while.

SicEmBaylor
2/5/2013, 11:45 PM
Here's the loge seating from where you will be able to drink your delicious adult beverages. On a side note, I hope they're not f'n serious about the wheeled desk chairs. Holy **** that would be awful.

http://grfx.cstv.com/schools/bay/graphics/facilities/loge-seating-A.jpg
http://grfx.cstv.com/schools/bay/graphics/facilities/loge-seating-B.jpg
http://grfx.cstv.com/schools/bay/graphics/facilities/loge-seating-C.jpg

prrriiide
2/6/2013, 06:27 AM
but this is a big big step for Baylor.

They're going to install a 150 foot version of this next to the stadium:

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/assets/product_images/380/5987914192468p.jpg

cleller
2/6/2013, 09:00 AM

Baylor bling-bling. Ick.