PDA

View Full Version : Dear Abby

olevetonahill
1/17/2013, 04:18 PM
Sorry you died.
http://www.businessweek.com/news/2013-01-17/pauline-phillips-dear-abby-newspaper-columnist-dies-at-94

stoops the eternal pimp
1/17/2013, 05:02 PM
Not a good week to be a fake woman.

Wishboned
1/17/2013, 05:13 PM
Alzheimer's is a soul sucking disease. I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

RIP.

olevetonahill
1/17/2013, 05:16 PM

RIP.

Never been around it. At least I dont remember if I have.

rock on sooner
1/17/2013, 05:27 PM
Lost my Grandma to it in '87, even though it wasn't diagnosed as
Alzheimer's. Just looking back, she had all the classic symptoms.
Tough eleven month stretch in '86-87, Mom in April '86, her hubby
in Dec and then Grandma in March of'87...huh, hadn't thought of
that in a long time...

8timechamps
1/17/2013, 05:31 PM

RIP.

I think it may be the worst way to go out. Unfortunately, my family has been hit with it, and it is awful.

I've been very active in the Alzheimer's Association, they do a lot of good work, but it's nowhere near where it needs to be.

olevetonahill
1/17/2013, 06:20 PM
I think it may be the worst way to go out. Unfortunately, my family has been hit with it, and it is awful.

I've been very active in the Alzheimer's Association, they do a lot of good work, but it's nowhere near where it needs to be.

Like I said Never been around it,Is just hard on the Family or the Oldster also?

8timechamps
1/17/2013, 06:27 PM
Like I said Never been around it,Is just hard on the Family or the Oldster also?

Both.

I'll use my grandfather as an example, he would have days where he didn't know where he was or anyone around him, and would panic. It's heartbreaking to know that your loved one is feeling that way, alone and desperate. It's frustrating as a family member, because you are right there and helpless.

For decades, doctors claimed it was senility. Nobody really paid a lot of attention to it, because it was just grandpa/grandma being senile, or old and crazy.

My grandma was a little different, she could remember what she ate for lunch, but couldn't remember her husband. She never went through the panic phase, and was actually pretty comical a lot of the time. Her issues were more frustration and sadness for not being able to remember things she knew she 'should' remember.

olevetonahill
1/17/2013, 09:24 PM
I've been readin a bit about NanoTech. Sounds like they may be on the verge of a breakthru with that.

8timechamps
1/17/2013, 09:35 PM
I've been readin a bit about NanoTech. Sounds like they may be on the verge of a breakthru with that.

That's the area they're spending a lot of their research time/money. There are also some good meds available to help with the memory loss, but the key is catching it early enough for them to be effective.

olevetonahill
1/17/2013, 09:50 PM
That's the area they're spending a lot of their research time/money. There are also some good meds available to help with the memory loss, but the key is catching it early enough for them to be effective.

Ima Look up the early warning signs deal.

Wishboned
1/17/2013, 10:06 PM

I had to take care of my dad after he was diagnosed, and determined unfit by the state. Unfortunately by that time his ex sister in law had convinced him to put her name on the deed to his house, and she took him to a lawyer and had a will made up with her as the sole recipient of his estate, and she was the beneficiary of his life insurance.

Fortunately with the help of a great attorney, and a wonderful DHS agent the bitch dropped her claim on everything.

It was easily the most stressful period in my life.

8timechamps
1/17/2013, 10:44 PM
I had to take care of my dad after he was diagnosed, and determined unfit by the state. Unfortunately by that time his ex sister in law had convinced him to put her name on the deed to his house, and she took him to a lawyer and had a will made up with her as the sole recipient of his estate, and she was the beneficiary of his life insurance.

Fortunately with the help of a great attorney, and a wonderful DHS agent the bitch dropped her claim on everything.

It was easily the most stressful period in my life.

Damn, that sucks.

What a ****ty person.

Wishboned
1/17/2013, 11:13 PM
Damn, that sucks.

What a ****ty person.

Yes she was.

SanJoaquinSooner
1/18/2013, 01:22 AM
Dear Abby,

Lance Armstrong
Barry Bonds