PDA

View Full Version : Manti Te'o is a Fraud

Boomer.....
1/16/2013, 04:55 PM
Manti Te’o’s Dead Girlfriend, The Most Heartbreaking And Inspirational Story Of The College Football Season, Is A Hoax

http://deadspin.com/5976517/manti-teos-dead-girlfriend-the-most-heartbreaking-and-inspirational-story-of-the-college-football-season-is-a-hoax

stoops the eternal pimp
1/16/2013, 05:13 PM
Wow...Why do something like that?

rock on sooner
1/16/2013, 05:14 PM
Proabably to generate the Heisman buzz that he got....

colleyvillesooner
1/16/2013, 05:15 PM
I like the comment under the article:

Finally, a reason to hate Notre Dame!

KantoSooner
1/16/2013, 05:16 PM
Tim Tebow once had to step in and correct doctors when he was assisting during summer vacation in a town in the Philippines so remote that no one could ever go there to see if anyone there even remembered 'Tim Tebow'.
Just sayin'.

rock on sooner
1/16/2013, 05:16 PM

I dint to read the article to do that...

Boomer.....
1/16/2013, 05:18 PM
Tim Tebow once had to step in and correct doctors when he was assisting during summer vacation in a town in the Philippines so remote that no one could ever go there to see if anyone there even remembered 'Tim Tebow'.
Just sayin'.

Circumcision gone wrong?

Boomer.....
1/16/2013, 05:22 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGgIwSc8M3M&feature=player_embedded

colleyvillesooner
1/16/2013, 05:23 PM
I dint to read the article to do that...

that's the joke.

SicEmBaylor
1/16/2013, 05:24 PM
Holy f'n ****.
That takes *********gery to a new level.

SoonerStormchaser
1/16/2013, 05:33 PM
Rape cover-ups? Check
Fraud to pimp a player for Heisman? Check
Paid off refs to miss obvious calls/touchdowns against us? Check

Touchdown Jesus died for your sins too, Notre Dame!

Boomer.....
1/16/2013, 05:34 PM
Notre Dame's statement:

On Dec. 26, Notre Dame coaches were informed by Manti Te’o and his parents that Manti had been the victim of what appears to be a hoax in which someone using the fictitious name Lennay Kekua apparently ingratiated herself with Manti and then conspired with others to lead him to believe she had tragically died of leukemia. The University immediately initiated an investigation to assist Manti and his family in discovering the motive for and nature of this hoax. While the proper authorities will continue to investigate this troubling matter, this appears to be, at a minimum, a sad and very cruel deception to entertain its perpetrators.

Dennis Brown
University Spokesman | Assistant Vice President

Victim....RIIIIIIIIIGHT

badger
1/16/2013, 05:35 PM
Either he's the dumbest of the dumb jocks, or he scammed everyone. Either way, it's Notre Dame, so screw them I guess

KantoSooner
1/16/2013, 05:40 PM
Notre Dame's statement:

Victim....RIIIIIIIIIGHT

If you have a link to that, I want to print it off and frame it for my office. I'll hang it right next to the yahoo story quoting Hugo Chavez as saying that capitalism destroyed life on Mars.

SoonerStormchaser
1/16/2013, 05:43 PM
Kanto, don't forget this gem:
http://c3.cduniverse.ws/resized/250x500/movie/412/6278412.jpg

TUSooner
1/16/2013, 05:44 PM
Notre Dame's statement:

On Dec. 26, Notre Dame coaches were informed by Manti Te’o and his parents that Manti had been the victim of what appears to be a hoax in which someone using the fictitious name Lennay Kekua apparently ingratiated herself with Manti and then conspired with others to lead him to believe she had tragically died of leukemia. The University immediately initiated an investigation to assist Manti and his family in discovering the motive for and nature of this hoax. While the proper authorities will continue to investigate this troubling matter, this appears to be, at a minimum, a sad and very cruel deception to entertain its perpetrators.

Dennis Brown
University Spokesman | Assistant Vice President

Victim....RIIIIIIIIIGHT

What do you expect from ND? CONFESSION? bwahahahaha. Maybe in Lou Holtz's imaginary catechism.

SicEmBaylor
1/16/2013, 05:45 PM
Rape cover-ups? Check

All of this is true except for paying the refs. Don't be ridiculous. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that you can probably count on one hand the number of times a ref has been paid off in football either at the pro or college level.

badger
1/16/2013, 05:46 PM
lol -- the commenters on the deadspin article are now speculating that Manti is gay, hence needing to make up a girlfriend

TUSooner
1/16/2013, 05:49 PM

Finally, a reason to hate Notre Dame!

I hope that comment was meant to be as ironic and sarcastic as I interpret it. :glee:

SicEmBaylor
1/16/2013, 05:51 PM
I hope that comment was meant to be as ironic and sarcastic as I interpret it. :glee:
Don't you Catholic schools have some sense of camaraderie?

Boomer.....
1/16/2013, 05:51 PM
Kyle Porter ‏@KylePorterCBS
Winner. RT @CRM_Stephen: Manti Te'o wasn't missing tackles in the National Championship, he was hugging his girlfriend.

RT @celebrityhottub: Brent Musburger still thinks Te'o's girlfriend is fine as hell, though.

Heh.

Boomer.....
1/16/2013, 05:53 PM
@thebeatofsports
ND says it's a hoax? ND knew on Dec. 26th. Te'o continued to talk about "girlfriend" in Miami at BCS title game. ND? Response? Bueller?

Good point.

TUSooner
1/16/2013, 06:00 PM

what catholic school? Loyola of NOLA? Tulane is not Catholic. But in any event, I denounce any "camaraderie" with Notre Dame!!

TUSooner
1/16/2013, 06:02 PM
Either he's the dumbest of the dumb jocks, or he scammed everyone. Either way, it's Notre Dame, so screw them I guess

What would the Wonderlic be for a guy who could think he was in a "couple" with a Twitter account?

SicEmBaylor
1/16/2013, 06:04 PM
what catholic school? Loyola of NOLA? Tulane is not Catholic. But in any event, I denounce any "camaraderie" with Notre Dame!!
My bad, I thought Tulane was Catholic!

KantoSooner
1/16/2013, 06:04 PM

colleyvillesooner
1/16/2013, 06:05 PM
Teo's response:
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8851033/story-manti-teo-girlfriend-death-apparently-hoax

"This is incredibly embarrassing to talk about, but over an extended period of time, I developed an emotional relationship with a woman I met online. We maintained what I thought to be an authentic relationship by communicating frequently online and on the phone, and I grew to care deeply about her. "To realize that I was the victim of what was apparently someone's sick joke and constant lies was, and is, painful and humiliating. "It further pains me that the grief I felt and the sympathies expressed to me at the time of my grandmother's death in September were in any way deepened by what I believed to be another significant loss in my life. "I am enormously grateful for the support of my family, friends and Notre Dame fans throughout this year. To think that I shared with them my happiness about my relationship and details that I thought to be true about her just makes me sick. I hope that people can understand how trying and confusing this whole experience has been. "In retrospect, I obviously should have been much more cautious. If anything good comes of this, I hope it is that others will be far more guarded when they engage with people online than I was. "Fortunately, I have many wonderful things in my life, and I'm looking forward to putting this painful experience behind me as I focus on preparing for the NFL Draft."

StoopTroup
1/16/2013, 06:17 PM

Yes, it's why we consider Baptists as a Religious Entity instead of a Hari Krishna type of cult.

SicEmBaylor
1/16/2013, 06:21 PM
Yes, it's why we consider Baptists as a Religious Entity instead of a Hari Krishna type of cult.
"We?" Didn't know you went to a Catholic university or were even Catholic.

Anyway, I'm not Baptist or even a Christian and consider any organized religion to be cult-like but that's a topic of discussion for another day and another thread.

Te'o is either the most naive or cunning son of a bitch in college sports. Not sure which one just yet.

SoonerDood
1/16/2013, 06:23 PM
maybe it's a different Manti Teo?

TUSooner
1/16/2013, 06:26 PM
Evidently, ESPN believes ND, Te'O. But then they believed Craig and Adam James.... I'm withholding judgment until I hear what Mike Patrick has to say.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8851033/story-manti-teo-girlfriend-death-apparently-hoax

EDIT: Sorry. I didn't see that Colleyville already put that up. :-/

TUSooner
1/16/2013, 06:28 PM
My bad, I thought Tulane was Catholic!

There are so many Jewish students there that they made up shirts that say "Jewlane." No kidding.

8timechamps
1/16/2013, 06:34 PM
Teo's response:

I call complete bull****.

The bottom line is that he let the media run with the "his girlfriend died in a car wreck" story. Wouldn't most people correct that story the first time it was told? I would.

Wow, this is almost as good as the kid that made up the recruiting story a few years back. Almost.

TUSooner
1/16/2013, 06:35 PM
Maybe the guy was THAT gullible, Maybe. but how does his ignoirance match up with these reports (via Deadspin) of personal meetings?

Here is the general shape of things, based on occasionally contradictory media accounts:

Nov. 28, 2009: Te'o and Kekua meet after Stanford's 45-38 victory over Notre Dame in Palo Alto, according to the South Bend Tribune: "Their stares got pleasantly tangled, then Manti Te'o extended his hand to the stranger with a warm smile and soulful eyes." Kekua, a Stanford student, swaps phone numbers with Te'o.

2010-2011: Te'o and Kekua are friends. "She was gifted in music, multi-lingual, had dreams grounded in reality and the talent to catch up to them" (South Bend Tribune). "They started out as just friends," Te'o's father, Brian, told the Tribune in October 2012. "Every once in a while, she would travel to Hawaii, and that happened to be the time Manti was home, so he would meet with her there."

Even if the guy was just a really dumb sucker, I still hate ND!

1/16/2013, 06:52 PM
Kekua gave me a kidney once. God bless 'er.

kevpks
1/16/2013, 07:05 PM

Not really. I went to grad school at Loyola Chicago and most there kind of hated Notre Dame. There is some camaraderie between Jesuit schools though. I think Notre Dame is a Holy Cross school. The orders can be a bit cliquish.

8timechamps
1/16/2013, 07:07 PM
Kekua sent me an email telling me that she had a ton of money tied up overseas, and if I could wire her $5,000 to cover the costs of bringing it to the US, she would split the money with me. I think it's a good deal.

LRoss
1/16/2013, 07:07 PM
Huh. I managed to miss this story entirely until just now.

I'm kind of proud of myself, honestly!

tulsaoilerfan
1/16/2013, 07:08 PM
I wanna hear him explain how they met in 2009 at a Stanford -Notre Dame game; sources are saying they are 80% sure TEO was involved in this hoax

Breadburner
1/16/2013, 07:08 PM
He's full of ****...Him and Lance Armstrong should get a room together.....

tulsaoilerfan
1/16/2013, 07:09 PM
This might explain why he played like **** in the title game last week

Sabanball
1/16/2013, 07:15 PM
Everybody should have realized that when Eddie Lacy left cleat marks all over him a week ago monday night.

So I guess this will mean AJ's girlfriend is in the SI Swimsuit Issue and Te'o's will be on the next edition of "Mythbusters".

SicEmBaylor
1/16/2013, 07:38 PM
There are so many Jewish students there that they made up shirts that say "Jewlane." No kidding.

I should have known that. My token Jewish friend from LI had a few friends go to Tulane and she used to go down there to visit around Mardi Gras. I was thinking Loyola was the Jewish school and Tulane was Catholic....which is stupid as hell considering the word "Loyola." In any case, carry on!

VA Sooner
1/16/2013, 08:36 PM
Rape cover-ups? Check

And let's not forget killing a grad student by making him sit in a portable lift to tape practices in 50 mph winds.

mainline13
1/16/2013, 08:54 PM
All of this is true except for paying the refs. Don't be ridiculous. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that you can probably count on one hand the number of times a ref has been paid off in football either at the pro or college level.

ND shouldn't have to pay Irish-Catholic refs, ya know?

TheHumanAlphabet
1/16/2013, 08:57 PM
I can understand being duped by a pen pal, but how do you match your "I was duped" with statements of meeting her at a game...

1. He is a big fat liar and needs to pay the price for lying
2. He is dumber than a box of rocks and has no clue about people and jacked up his phone bill calling a dead line... Who paid for those 8 hour calls?
3. He has so many people and hangers on, that he was actually duped. However, I would never call a pen pal a girlfriend, though may have fantasized about it...

I vote for #1...

HToady
1/16/2013, 08:58 PM
ND should have to "vacate" all of it's wins in 2012.

Whatever that means....

mainline13
1/16/2013, 08:59 PM
He's full of ****...Him and Lance Armstrong should get a room together.....

I think more of us need to show support for Lance, by going for a bike ride while on drugs. Who's with me ?!?!

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/16/2013, 09:02 PM
Rape cover-ups? Check

Touchdown Jesus died for your sins too, Notre Dame!Told ya those guys are POISON! The crap they pulled on OU in the '57 season got my attention for all times sake(no, not just that we lost to them)

Breadburner
1/16/2013, 09:02 PM
I think more of us need to show support for Lance, by going for a bike ride while on drugs. Who's with me ?!?!

Ride Strong to Live High....!!!!!!!

budbarrybob
1/16/2013, 09:05 PM

With all due respect... i'll go the over and say that you can't count on both hands and both feet the number of times a college/pro ref took some cash to "look the other way"

Too bad we'll never know.

BigTip
1/16/2013, 09:31 PM
I read the thread title and I thought it was going to be about his performance in the NC game.

lexsooner
1/16/2013, 10:08 PM
Can we now also discuss how ND is in on all these top recruits? I thought they were supposed to have the academic standards of Stanford when it comes to recruiting athletes. Or is that a hoax too

8timechamps
1/16/2013, 10:10 PM
Can we now also discuss how ND is in on all these top recruits? I thought they were supposed to have the academic standards of Stanford when it comes to recruiting athletes. Or is that a hoax too

They "relaxed" some of their standards a few years ago. Surprise.

goingoneight
1/16/2013, 10:27 PM
Maybe Te'o's gf is taking their ACTs and SATs for them?

Wishboned
1/16/2013, 10:39 PM
He's Mormon. It's probably going to come out in a few days that he has several fake girlfriends.

8timechamps
1/16/2013, 10:45 PM
Play like your fake girlfriend died today!

cleller
1/16/2013, 10:48 PM
ND's spin machine is going so fast it may just bore a hole to China. Yahoo sports is sucked right into it. Look at this quote from ND athletic director Jack Swarbrick:

''Nothing about what I have learned has shaken my faith in Manti Te'o one iota,'' Swarbrick said at a news conference Wednesday night after Deadspin.com reported in a lengthy story that it could find no record that Kekua ever existed.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/story-teo-girlfriend-death-apparently-224616595--ncaaf.html

cleller
1/16/2013, 10:50 PM

Yeah. FINALLY they have their own fittingly original motto.

goingoneight
1/16/2013, 10:53 PM

Crimsontothecore
1/16/2013, 11:05 PM
I wonder if his grandmother is really dead? If I remember correctly, didn't his girlfriend and grandmother supposedly die the same day? I'm not sure I buy the whole "innocent kid got scammed" thing. The Yahoo story had a paragraph quoting him from an ESPN interview last year in which he strongly insinuates he spent time with the girlfriend in person.

cleller
1/16/2013, 11:15 PM
156 pages and counting of stunned Irish: yuck yuck yuck.

http://www.irishenvy.com/forums/leprechaun-lounge/84692-lennay-kekua-hoax.html

Seamus
1/17/2013, 12:18 AM
With all due respect... i'll go the over and say that you can't count on both hands and both feet the number of times a college/pro ref took some cash to "look the other way"

I'll take the under on whether he can count his hands or feet.

1/17/2013, 01:56 AM
I read the thread title and I thought it was going to be about his performance in the NC game.Let's hear it for the #1 Domers! They showed their stuff, to let American know without a doubt their championship credentials in this, their great year of resurgence.

1/17/2013, 02:00 AM
He's Mormon. It's probably going to come out in a few days that he has several fake girlfriends. BEST POST OF THE THREAD AWARD!(well, at least a nomination)

soonercastor
1/17/2013, 03:01 AM

While he may have used it when he got into the Heisman spotlight, I don't thnk this was the Italy motive. He told people she was dead in sept, back dead he was nowhere near the Heisman race and ND was nowhere near the MNC picture

All_Day_28
1/17/2013, 03:50 AM
This was a fake girlfriend him and his friend created for him so he could hide the fact that he's gay. He is very effeminate. With a fake girlfriend he wouldn't have to explain why he doesn't date girls while being the star notre dame football player. I'm sure he already had people(friends and other players) asking questions and that's what lead to the creation of the fake girlfriend in the first place. The reason he didn't come out and just admit he made it up is because notre dame is running major damage control.

SicEmBaylor
1/17/2013, 04:19 AM
This was a fake girlfriend him and his friend created for him so he could hide the fact that he's gay. He is very effeminate. With a fake girlfriend he wouldn't have to explain why he doesn't date girls while being the star notre dame football player. I'm sure he already had people(friends and other players) asking questions and that's what lead to the creation of the fake girlfriend in the first place. The reason he didn't come out and just admit he made it up is because notre dame is running major damage control.

This makes the most amount of sense to me. A typical highly skilled heterosexual college football player typically doesn't have a need to invent fake girlfriends. The only motive for doing so that makes any sense is that he's gay. Unless you believe the whole thing was just a publicity stunt, but I don't believe so.

mcraney
1/17/2013, 07:53 AM
An internal investigation by a bunch of Catholics comes up with no wrong doing on their side? Color me convinced.

TUSooner
1/17/2013, 08:25 AM
156 pages and counting of stunned Irish: yuck yuck yuck.

http://www.irishenvy.com/forums/leprechaun-lounge/84692-lennay-kekua-hoax.html

says one: "Remember less than 2 weeks ago when we were kicking off the National Championship Game? Remember that? Good ****ing times." ha ha ha ha

TUSooner
1/17/2013, 08:31 AM
best comment on Deadspin: Alabama's running backs aren't even sure Manti Te'o exists at this point.

sooneredaco
1/17/2013, 08:35 AM
Anyone else find it amusing that the article posted was by "deadspin"? Heh!

Boomer.....
1/17/2013, 08:40 AM
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/s480x480/484826_4116137306710_432354391_n.jpg

Boomer.....
1/17/2013, 08:43 AM
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e217/SGH1967/IMG_4412_zps67787a7d.jpg

Boomer.....
1/17/2013, 08:46 AM
http://25.media.tumblr.com/1c074d63e414599a9a3f4270a9962740/tumblr_mgrcwtJsaw1s3b9u6o1_500.png

jk the sooner fan
1/17/2013, 08:48 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BAxy0T0CUAElRFL.jpg

SoonerStormchaser
1/17/2013, 08:49 AM
Ok...Boomer wins the thread...lock it down now, it can't get any better!

jk the sooner fan
1/17/2013, 08:49 AM
http://www.funnyordie.com/articles/0c4c45533d/a-statement-from-manti-te-o-addressing-the-news-of-his-fake-girlfriend?ts=1358379323

I am very sorry I hurt everyone. It is true that Lenny Kekua is not from Stanford. Nor did she pass away this fall. She is my Canadian girlfriend. She can not be contacted at this time because she is off doing a photoshoot it in France. She is a model. Also, I'd like to apologize to my friends and family, as I had told them I once saw rode a Unicorn across the the Atlantic Ocean. As you can imagine, that is untrue, a nearly impossible feat.

I would also like to thank my friends and family, who have stood by side throughout this season. My father has been there for me since I was a kid. My grandparents, who I loved dearly. I never met my great-grandfather, but here is a picture of him that my Dad showed me when I younger.

http://assets0.ordienetworks.com/misc/ba4.jpg

I request that you respect my privacy during this troubling time. This is no different than the time I told my teammates that I needed some time off after I was abducted by aliens and my body needed to readjust the earth's atmosphere.

cleller
1/17/2013, 08:50 AM
As the investigation continues, it may be uncovered that the fake girlfriend was also pregnant. Now the thing really takes an ugly twist. Was it really murder?
Isn't a big coverup and humiliation better than a murder rap?

SoonerStormchaser
1/17/2013, 08:51 AM
This **** is pure entertainment GOLD...GOLD I TELL YA!

stoops the eternal pimp
1/17/2013, 09:11 AM
Yesterday, I talked to a couple of people in the league..They both told me that this is a cover up for Te'o's sexual orientation.

I also did hear that he is avoiding the Senior Bowl week so he will not have to answer questions.

badger
1/17/2013, 09:14 AM
More TEOING:
http://teoing.tumblr.com

Sinyeah12
1/17/2013, 09:19 AM

This is awesome.

TUSooner
1/17/2013, 09:22 AM
I may just be showing my ignorance about Mormonism, but I mean no harm, so bear with me.
Say you're a Mormon, which requires you to believe some pretty weird stuff, even by typical religious standards. It also requires an almost Pharisaical or Puritanical quest for purity, especially sexual purity.

Would you not be highly susceptible to a relationship so pure that it exists only in the ether, where conveniently and comfortably there is no risk of defilement by sexual touching or other forms of base naughtiness? Would this not be especially true if you have been taught -- and had convinced yourself -- that you are some superior sort of holy and spiritual being for whom genitalia are mere Satanic annoyances that you can ignore simply by virtue of your epic spiritual fortitude (and a few hundred push-ups)?

So maybe, just maybe, Te'o really was the perfect dupe, due to his already well-established capacity for self-delusion and self-exhaltation. Work out your own moral to this goofy tale. (And by the way, I still suspect he was in on it.)

EDIT: Or he's just gay. That is all.

jk the sooner fan
1/17/2013, 09:38 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BA0NpyHCIAAqfy0.jpg

HToady
1/17/2013, 09:38 AM
I may just be showing my ignorance about Mormonism, but I mean no harm, so bear with me.
Say you're a Mormon, which requires you to believe some pretty weird stuff, even by typical religious standards. It also requires an almost Pharisaical or Puritanical quest for purity, especially sexual purity.

Would you not be highly susceptible to a relationship so pure that it exists only in the ether, where conveniently and comfortably there is no risk of defilement by sexual touching or other forms of base naughtiness? Would this not be especially true if you have been taught -- and had convinced yourself -- that you are some superior sort of holy and spiritual being for whom genitalia are mere Satanic annoyances that you can ignore simply by virtue of your epic spiritual fortitude (and a few hundred push-ups)?

So maybe, just maybe, Te'o really was the perfect dupe, due to his already well-established capacity for self-delusion and self-exhaltation. Work out your own moral to this goofy tale. (And by the way, I still suspect he was in on it.)

You're gonna have to ask Warren Jeffs about this...he's one of their leaders.

TUSooner
1/17/2013, 09:43 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BA0NpyHCIAAqfy0.jpg

Zang!

texaspokieokie
1/17/2013, 09:52 AM

When i lived in CA, had a USC grad friend, referred to the other school as Jew CLA".

BoomerSoonerTexasscks
1/17/2013, 10:22 AM
Come on, is it really that big a deal? I used to make up hot girlfriends every summer. :couple_inlove:

colleyvillesooner
1/17/2013, 10:27 AM
Teo will now give a 1-1 interview on his side with Jeremy Schaap

PrideMom
1/17/2013, 10:29 AM
Are you telling me that Manti Te'o can't get a REAL girl friend? Something doesn't smell right here......Hollywood used to do the same thing to cover up homosexuals, but now it doesn't matter to anyone any more. It never should have, there are somethings that should be just that...PRIVATE. Our society does not NEED to know everything about other people.

colleyvillesooner
1/17/2013, 10:31 AM
Are you telling me that Manti Te'o can't get a REAL girl friend? Something doesn't smell right here......Hollywood used to do the same thing to cover up homosexuals, but now it doesn't matter to anyone any more. It never should have, there are somethings that should be just that...PRIVATE. Our society does not NEED to know everything about other people.

Problem is the stigma forces the need to hide it in a locker room full of football players.

goingoneight
1/17/2013, 10:40 AM
Yep... I've suspected a few players who have left OU in recent years left for "personal reasons" such as that. A locker room is still not a friendly place for a gay guy. Same for a shop full of mechanics... I've had a few employees quit over the years because they didn't like the gay jokes and general bigotry.

jk the sooner fan
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BA0lkL_CcAAZuG5.jpg

TUSooner
Which would be tougher to admit -- for a jock?

A. I can't get a real GF because I'm a doofus putz.

OR

B. I don't have a GF because I'm gay.

Not an easy choice there, I think. I have heard of a rugby player and a cricket player coming out, with no ill effects (at least for the cricket player; he's pretty good and it's never mentioned, at least when he's playing.)

jk the sooner fan
1/17/2013, 10:41 AM
Manti Te'o's girlfriend is Miss January in the 2013 Mayan calendar. .

colleyvillesooner
1/17/2013, 10:41 AM
Clay Travis take. pretty good:

http://www.outkickthecoverage.com/manti-teos-fake-dead-girlfriend-breaks-the-internet.php

Boomer.....
1/17/2013, 10:42 AM
If he is in fact gay, it would be a HUGE distraction with a team and in the locker room. I could see him doing anything possible to cover that up. It would make more sense than the "publicity" excuse.

TUSooner
1/17/2013, 11:07 AM

http://www.outkickthecoverage.com/manti-teos-fake-dead-girlfriend-breaks-the-internet.php

This is good.

E-Town
1/17/2013, 11:12 AM
http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll122/e-town_/teocat_zpsddb4b7a1.jpg

Sooner98
1/17/2013, 11:31 AM
Te'o just updated his Facebook relationship status to "It's complicated".

Sooner98
1/17/2013, 11:34 AM
Clint Eastwood has a few words for Manti's girlfriend:

http://i.usatoday.net/communitymanager/_photos/on-politics/2012/08/30CAT/1eastwoodx-large.jpg

SoonerLB
1/17/2013, 11:35 AM
Shake hands with Karma Manti, that was NOT an interception! ;)

Sooner98
1/17/2013, 11:36 AM
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/2028103/teo.gif

BillyBall
1/17/2013, 11:48 AM

Best article I've read about this bizarre story.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/17/2013, 11:49 AM
http://i994.photobucket.com/albums/af61/bobbystoops/teo.gif

badger
1/17/2013, 11:49 AM
As fun as making fun of fraud Manti is... here's an argument for why Mani truly is a dum dum and not a fraud:

His grandmother just died.

Thus, he doesn't need to pull the "loved one just died" card to get audience and media sympathy. He's already got it.

Therefore, Manti is not a fraud. He is just educated by the University of Notre Dame.

Boomer.....
1/17/2013, 11:59 AM
As fun as making fun of fraud Manti is... here's an argument for why Mani truly is a dum dum and not a fraud:

Thus, he doesn't need to pull the "loved one just died" card to get audience and media sympathy. He's already got it.

Therefore, Manti is not a fraud. He is just educated by the University of Notre Dame.

How about this fun one then:

Todd Jones ‏@Todd_Jones
Te'o told she wasn't real Dec. 6. Te'o said Dec. 8: "I don't like cancer at all. I lost both my grandparents and my girlfriend to cancer."
Retweeted by Josh McCuistion

KantoSooner
1/17/2013, 12:01 PM
Sooner98, that is as good as LSUFreek ever did. Awe inspiring.

lexsooner
1/17/2013, 12:22 PM
If he is gay and needed a cover, surely he could have found some local coed who could be his beard. He's a big football star and plenty of attractive women would want to just be able to hang with him.

Sooner98
1/17/2013, 12:22 PM
And here I thought this was going to be a boring offseason.

TheHumanAlphabet
1/17/2013, 12:26 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BA0lkL_CcAAZuG5.jpg

Bonjour!

We met during my mission to France... ;)

colleyvillesooner
1/17/2013, 12:41 PM

That or they kill her off then so he will be grief stricken anyway and come off more realistic.

colleyvillesooner
1/17/2013, 12:41 PM
And now 1 on 1 with Jeremey Schaap is note cancelled.

TUSooner
1/17/2013, 12:58 PM
And here I thought this was going to be a boring offseason.

I know my memory is not the best, but I've been around awhile, and I can't recall any sports related story that comes within a hundred miles of being as astonishingly bizarre as this deal. It's a gob-smacker for sure.

Wishboned
1/17/2013, 01:16 PM
I know my memory is not the best, but I've been around awhile, and I can't recall any sports related story that comes within a hundred miles of being as astonishingly bizarre as this deal. It's a gob-smacker for sure.

The only way it could get any more weird is if we found out he was dressing up as his fake girlfriend, and having conversations with himself.

sooneron
1/17/2013, 01:54 PM
A gay mormon samoan football player dude goes to a catholic school. Ends up getting catfished only to find out and use it to his advantage to garner awards and pity...

I'm pretty sure that's more far fetched than most Hollywood scripts.

BillyBall
1/17/2013, 01:56 PM
The only way it could get any more weird is if we found out he was dressing up as his fake girlfriend, and having conversations with himself.

I really hope that this happened.

BoomerSoonerTexasscks
1/17/2013, 02:09 PM
Maybe he can invent a fake schedule that would allow OU to go a fake undefeated and win the fake national championship

BoomerSoonerTexasscks
1/17/2013, 02:12 PM
What about the Baylor basketball coach convincing his team to say one of his players was a drug dealer to cover up the fact that the other one of his players murdered him

sooneron
1/17/2013, 02:15 PM
Yeah, but THAT'S Waco!

Sooner98
1/17/2013, 02:38 PM

Between conference realignment, Sandusky, and now this and other scandals, there has been more tragedy/drama/weirdness in the last 2 1/2 years in college football than all the rest of my lifetime combined.

jkjsooner
1/17/2013, 02:39 PM
If he is in fact gay, it would be a HUGE distraction with a team and in the locker room. I could see him doing anything possible to cover that up. It would make more sense than the "publicity" excuse.

C'mon. Who gives a crap. The guy was a team leader and best player on the team. I don't think anyone is going to care if he's gay. This isn't 1950.

I used to work out at a gym in Dupont Circle in DC. I didn't give a crap that many of the guys in the locker room were gay as long as their stuff didn't touch me, but that's true for any dude. Plus, it just meant less competitition for the hotties.

All_Day_28
1/17/2013, 02:51 PM
C'mon. Who gives a crap. The guy was a team leader and best player on the team. I don't think anyone is going to care if he's gay. This isn't 1950.

I used to work out at a gym in Dupont Circle in DC. I didn't give a crap that many of the guys in the locker room were gay as long as their stuff didn't touch me, but that's true for any dude. Plus, it just meant less competitition for the hotties.

Trust me, it would not be the same inside a football locker room. That is one of the last places a gay man wants to be outed. Not saying it's right, but that is the reality.

TheHumanAlphabet
1/17/2013, 03:54 PM
Good thing his college playing days are over...He would probably catch hell from both sides just for the story alone, regardless of any reason... I wonder if the Pro's will be kinder?

TitoMorelli
1/17/2013, 04:04 PM
And now 1 on 1 with Jeremey Schaap is note cancelled.

Only difference between T'eo and Schaap is that T'eo is a talented fraud.

Soonerus
1/17/2013, 05:22 PM
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/408577_529172833773848_1143997663_n.png

jkjsooner
1/17/2013, 05:37 PM
Trust me, it would not be the same inside a football locker room. That is one of the last places a gay man wants to be outed. Not saying it's right, but that is the reality.

There have been plenty of articles where NFL players have stated that they pretty much know who is gay in their locker room. It's a business. They're there to win games and they respect anyone who helps them win games.

Here's one.

http://www.businessinsider.com/former-player-says-nfl-already-has-openly-gay-players-that-are-accepted-by-teammates-2013-1

I don't see any reason it would be different in college. In fact I remember a player back int eh '80s talking about how everyone knew who was gay in the locker room. Might have been Boz. Don't remember.

8timechamps
1/17/2013, 06:03 PM
Te'o being gay makes as much sense to me as anything I've heard. It would certainly explain a lot.

My question is if ESPN did have this story before the title game, why did they sit on it? To appease ND big cigars? I can't understand their motive.

8timechamps
1/17/2013, 06:07 PM

Your looking at the situation through with your vision/insight.

Even though this isn't 1950, there is a reason a gay player has never come out in football. I am around high school kids in a football setting every season, and I promise you it would be a major deal if someone came out.

StoopTroup
1/17/2013, 06:08 PM
Looking back at what Manti wore at the Heisman Awards....I find it hard to think he's ghey.....:D

http://cdn0.sbnation.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/5066817/20121208_jel_sl8_048.0_standard_352.0.jpg

cleller
1/17/2013, 06:11 PM
Ran across this story pasted at Shaggy Bevo, decided it was too big to copy/paste:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-football/news/20130117/manti-teo-girlfriend-hoax-quotes/#ixzz2IGwTEFIn

Its a very long blow-by-blow of the interview Sports Illustrated did with Te 0 in October. Looking at the questions and answers hindsight, it smells very fishy. No way to doubt that Te-o was embellishing like mad, filling in holes. It just sounds like a nervous kid trying to lie his way thru something.

StoopTroup
1/17/2013, 06:14 PM
Some folks don't do well with lots of pressure on them. They even tend to make bad wardrobe choices.

TitoMorelli
1/17/2013, 06:23 PM
Some folks don't do well with lots of pressure on them. They even tend to make bad wardrobe choices.

Which should put the gay rumor to rest.

colleyvillesooner
1/17/2013, 06:41 PM
Te'o being gay makes as much sense to me as anything I've heard. It would certainly explain a lot.

My question is if ESPN did have this story before the title game, why did they sit on it? To appease ND big cigars? I can't understand their motive.

Supposedly to get the 1 on 1 locked down for Teo's side.

5. According to multiple sources inside the network, ESPN had the story, but was waiting on Te'o for a sit-down interview.

Per the Big Lead, ESPN had the story for ten days.

That would mean that ESPN first got wind of the story before the BCS title game.

Ouch. (FYI, ESPN disputes that they had the story for ten days, saying instead that they had it for seven days).

What I was told is that ESPN wanted to have a sit-down with Te'o so the network could get his side of the story. But if you've got the goods can you really wait on a story like this? Of course not. Credit to Deadspin for doing all of the due diligence on this story and then not waiting too long for a comment.

Many will criticize ESPN in the coming days for not blowing this story up in advance of the BCS title game. And there will be many who ask: Did they slow play the story as a favor to the bigwigs at Notre Dame? I'm told that isn't the case, but I just don't understand how you wait on this story so you can get Manti Te'o on camera. How long does it take to confirm that the girlfriend doesn't exist once you get tipped off on this story? Not long, right? An investigative reporter named Mike Fish is credited on the ESPN story that links to Deadspin. Was he the only guy working on this story at ESPN?

If, as Deadspin has Tweeted, they've only had the story five days, how did it take ESPN twice that long to produce nothing?

Also, for you sports media conspiracy nuts out there, is it more convenient for ESPN if someone else breaks a story like this first?

Yes.

Would it shock me if someone at ESPN tipped off Deadspin because the story was getting slowplayed? As a former Deadspin editor, it wouldn't be the first time that happened, so it wouldn't shock me at all.

cleller
1/17/2013, 07:21 PM
http://i701.photobucket.com/albums/ww14/cs6000/images_zpsead765c0.jpg

SenatorJohnBlutarsky
1/17/2013, 08:29 PM
http://images16.fotki.com/v377/photos/7/7174/11143/manti-vi.gif

sooneron
1/17/2013, 09:04 PM
More proof that ESPiN is not in the sports news business. My Gawd, they are teh succ!!!!

SicEmBaylor
1/17/2013, 09:10 PM
What about the Baylor basketball coach convincing his team to say one of his players was a drug dealer to cover up the fact that the other one of his players murdered him
I don't believe this was necessary.

Lott's Bandana
1/17/2013, 09:42 PM
"...fake and therefore incapable of dying."

Sweet prose.

Heh.

cleller
1/17/2013, 10:22 PM
Reading that Irish Envy forum is strange. From time to time I've looked at other schools boards during meltdown time, and its usually a similar story. About an equal amount of gripers, and die hard optimists. Shaggy Bevo is a little different. Those guys cut right thru and spare no mercy for Mack, or whoever has let them down.

The Irish Envy site is like a bunch of Stepford Wives stuck in a Midwestern La-La land: "Wow, there are some mean people in the world, I guess, ya know? We're lucky to be from Notre Dame, and have the love and respect of everyone in the land. Our players are just like our family members, and would never do anything to let us down."

SoonerinLA
1/17/2013, 10:48 PM

jkjsooner, this isn't 1950 but if Te'o were gay and came out, he wouldn't even be drafted. Too many narrow minded people in this world. Look at this thread.TU Sooner writes about a school with "too many" Jewish students. What does that have to do with Teo? SicEmBaylor writes about his token Jewish friend. Maybe he's embarassed to admit he has Jewish friends. Texaspokieokie jumps into the Jewish student discussion as well. Instead of calling out morons TUSooner and Sic Em, he talks about a USC graduate that complains about too many Jews at UCLA. Mormons and Catholics were also attacked in this thread although mostly in jest.

As long as people like TU Sooner, SicEmBaylor, and Texaspokieokie breath there will be narrowminded people in this world. And they'll never realize their bigotry because they're likely surrounded by like minded friends and family. How else could they learn that crap?

P.S. I live in Los Angeles between the USC and UCLA campuses. Pokieokie, tell your USC grad that USC has as many Jewish students as UCLA the next time you see him. I'm sure that will get his goat.

TUSooner
1/18/2013, 07:59 AM
jkjsooner, this isn't 1950 but if Te'o were gay and came out, he wouldn't even be drafted. Too many narrow minded people in this world. Look at this thread.TU Sooner writes about a school with "too many" Jewish students. What does that have to do with Teo? SicEmBaylor writes about his token Jewish friend. Maybe he's embarassed to admit he has Jewish friends. Texaspokieokie jumps into the Jewish student discussion as well. Instead of calling out morons TUSooner and Sic Em, he talks about a USC graduate that complains about too many Jews at UCLA. Mormons and Catholics were also attacked in this thread although mostly in jest.

As long as people like TU Sooner, SicEmBaylor, and Texaspokieokie breath there will be narrowminded people in this world. And they'll never realize their bigotry because they're likely surrounded by like minded friends and family. How else could they learn that crap?

P.S. I live in Los Angeles between the USC and UCLA campuses. Pokieokie, tell your USC grad that USC has as many Jewish students as UCLA the next time you see him. I'm sure that will get his goat.

Hey. Wait a minute there, YOU're the one who said "TOO many" Jewish students; I never did. How many Jews is "too many" by the way, since you brought it up? I was responding to SicEm's erroneous presumption that Tulane was a Catholic school. I thought of the clever "Jewlane" t-shirts and said that, rather than being Catholic-ish, Tulane has a lot of Jewish students, and they're conscious of it and proud of it, and it's commonly noted by all sorts of people including Jews and self-righteous prigs. So goys like me are supposed to ignore their Jewishness so as to avoid offending....who exactly? You? Your accusations of anti-Semitism or racism are unjustified. Besides, we're supposed to be bashing the phoniness of Noter Daim here. Stay on track.

TUSooner
1/18/2013, 08:04 AM
Reading that Irish Envy forum is strange. From time to time I've looked at other schools boards during meltdown time, and its usually a similar story. About an equal amount of gripers, and die hard optimists. Shaggy Bevo is a little different. Those guys cut right thru and spare no mercy for Mack, or whoever has let them down.

The Irish Envy site is like a bunch of Stepford Wives stuck in a Midwestern La-La land: "Wow, there are some mean people in the world, I guess, ya know? We're lucky to be from Notre Dame, and have the love and respect of everyone in the land. Our players are just like our family members, and would never do anything to let us down."

That's a good assessment.

olevetonahill
1/18/2013, 08:07 AM

Well Hell BOY, If we dont Hate on the Gheys, The Jews , The Blacks, The Browns. them Little yeller devils. Who the **** we supposed to Hate on?

cleller
1/18/2013, 08:51 AM
Well Hell BOY, If we dont Hate on the Gheys, The Jews , The Blacks, The Browns. them Little yeller devils. Who the **** we supposed to Hate on?

The Irish!

olevetonahill
1/18/2013, 08:55 AM
The Irish!

Why them? They Love the OVJ.

Widescreen
1/18/2013, 09:09 AM
The Irish!

It always comes down to hating my people. :mad:

EatLeadCommie
1/18/2013, 10:15 AM

Very clever. lol

texaspokieokie
1/18/2013, 10:31 AM
I had lotsa Jew friends when i lived in LA. They are (IMHO) good, smart, hard working people. I only mentioned one comment made by a friend of mine, over 40 years ago. Interpret it however you wish.

I have all the respect in the world for Jewish people. I haven't seen that friend in over 40 years. Just a comment that i found to be humorous, that somehow stuck in my memory. If you don't like it, i can't help it.

hawaii 5-0
1/18/2013, 10:44 AM
Local Hawaii News is covering the Te'o story here with mixed feelings.

Right now about 60% think he was duped.

40% think he was in on the fraud.

5-0

hawaii 5-0
1/18/2013, 10:45 AM

Great !!

5-0

stoops the eternal pimp
1/18/2013, 10:57 AM
Late Thursday evening, an independent baseball team, the Florence (Ky.) Freedom, announced it would have "Manti Te'o Girlfriend Bobblehead Day."

As part of the promotion in late May, the first 1,000 fans will get an empty bobblehead box, there will be a pretend kiss cam for fans to kiss their imaginary friends and there will be an imaginary food fight in the kids' area, as well as an air guitar contest.

C&CDean
1/18/2013, 11:00 AM
Huh. I managed to miss this story entirely until just now.

I'm kind of proud of myself, honestly!

This. I never heard a thing about a girlfriend or any of this **** until this thread. And that's good. Very good.

hawaii 5-0
1/18/2013, 11:10 AM
Brent Mushberger has to be really upset.

5-0

cleller
1/18/2013, 11:11 AM
Why them? They Love the OVJ.

Well, specifically the ND type Irish.

cleller
1/18/2013, 11:13 AM

Very clever. lol

To be fair, I heard Treber on the Sports Animal mention seeing this on Twitter.

MichiganSooner
1/18/2013, 11:17 AM
I call complete bull****.

Wow, this is almost as good as the kid that made up the recruiting story a few years back. Almost.

Can you let me know what that story was about?; I don't recall it. Sounds like it might be interesting. Thanks.

olevetonahill
1/18/2013, 11:23 AM
Well, specifically the ND type Irish.

Oh yea Them, Well **** em in Yayae

TUSooner
1/18/2013, 11:30 AM
This. I never heard a thing about a girlfriend or any of this **** until this thread. And that's good. Very good.
You're lucky. The first time I started to hear about it I changed the channel. It's exactly the kind of schlocky, schmaltzy, "up close and personal" goo that has been polluting sports since some marketing whiz in the 60s or 70s decided it would attract more female viewers. Maybe thanks to this fiasco we'll see less of that emo **** (I only wish.)

olevetonahill
1/18/2013, 11:33 AM
You're lucky. The first time I started to hear about it I changed the channel. It's exactly the kind of schlocky, schmaltzy, "up close and personal" goo that has been polluting sports since some marketing whiz in the 60s or 70s decided it would attract more female viewers. Maybe thanks to this fiasco we'll see less of that emo **** (I only wish.)

Heh, I've only caught the surface . Aint read anything much about it Nor do I care to.

badger
1/18/2013, 11:42 AM
I and all of my Sooner friends stuck in Tulsa would totally attend a Drillers game if they did a promotion like this (http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/8855822/florence-freedom-ballclub-manti-teo-girlfriend-bobblehead-day) :D

EatLeadCommie
1/18/2013, 11:52 AM
To be fair, I heard Treber on the Sports Animal mention seeing this on Twitter.

oh I figured you weren't the originator of it...it's just that I've seen a lot of pics and internet memes from the this Teo stuff, and that one is probably the best of the bunch.

All_Day_28
1/18/2013, 12:10 PM
There have been plenty of articles where NFL players have stated that they pretty much know who is gay in their locker room. It's a business. They're there to win games and they respect anyone who helps them win games.

Here's one.

http://www.businessinsider.com/former-player-says-nfl-already-has-openly-gay-players-that-are-accepted-by-teammates-2013-1

I don't see any reason it would be different in college. In fact I remember a player back int eh '80s talking about how everyone knew who was gay in the locker room. Might have been Boz. Don't remember.

Yea ok... If u say so...

Sooner98
1/18/2013, 12:15 PM
Of course, news of the hoax has made it to Berlin:

Lm0xWM-v3Eo

Sooner98
1/18/2013, 12:17 PM
Girl in picture of fake girlfriend has been identified:

http://www.lostlettermen.com/manti-teo-diane-omeara/

goingoneight
1/18/2013, 12:54 PM
Maybe if he comes out and claims he believes in his invisible girlfriend based on faith, he can end up Tebow 2.0.

colleyvillesooner
1/18/2013, 01:15 PM
Can you let me know what that story was about?; I don't recall it. Sounds like it might be interesting. Thanks.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=wojciechowski_gene&id=3236039

Midtowner
1/18/2013, 01:23 PM
Someone's been watching too much Lt. Kije.

badger
1/18/2013, 01:25 PM
he can end up Tebow 2.0.

Benched by the Jest? Te'o next to Tebow. Now THERE would be an LOL site :D

hawaii 5-0
1/18/2013, 01:30 PM
Despite this weird twisted scenerio Te'o will be very successful in the Pros.

Even if he comes out of the closet.

5-0

SoonerLB
1/18/2013, 01:49 PM
I don't know what his ratio is between gayness and stupidity, but it adds up to 100% dumbass! :)

70sooner
1/18/2013, 05:41 PM
I and all of my Sooner friends stuck in Tulsa would totally attend a Drillers game if they did a promotion like this (http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/8855822/florence-freedom-ballclub-manti-teo-girlfriend-bobblehead-day) :D

stuck in Tulsa? I like T-Town.

too funny.......

Late Thursday evening, an independent baseball team, the Florence (Ky.) Freedom, announced it would have "Manti Te'o Girlfriend Bobblehead Day."

As part of the promotion in late May, the first 1,000 fans will get an empty bobblehead box, there will be a pretend kiss cam for fans to kiss their imaginary friends and there will be an imaginary food fight in the kids' area, as well as an air guitar contest.

cleller
1/18/2013, 06:13 PM
Anyone else tired of the refrain "you gotta remember he's a 22 year old kid...." ?

I wasn't treated like a kid when I was 22. I certainly wouldn't have been able to make kid-like mistakes, without being held accountable.

8timechamps
1/18/2013, 07:49 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=wojciechowski_gene&id=3236039

Thanks, I was going to search for it, but you hooked me up.

colleyvillesooner
1/18/2013, 08:44 PM
No problem. That was another insane story.

MyT Oklahoma
1/18/2013, 10:22 PM
This story just keeps on getting better and better.

BeetDigger
1/18/2013, 11:04 PM
Apparently he has hired a PR firm and they have been discussing how he presents his side of the situation.

According to inside sources, he is 1)torn between stating that he used the hoax to help his Heisman chances, and 2)admitting that he is the most gullible man in America. At this point, the only thing that is clear is that he used her image during phone conversations with her to "consummate" the relationship. These same sources stated that according to the hoaxter, "these were the most challenging times to keep the hoax going."

SoonerinLA
1/19/2013, 12:23 AM
Hey. Wait a minute there, YOU're the one who said "TOO many" Jewish students; I never did. How many Jews is "too many" by the way, since you brought it up? I was responding to SicEm's erroneous presumption that Tulane was a Catholic school. I thought of the clever "Jewlane" t-shirts and said that, rather than being Catholic-ish, Tulane has a lot of Jewish students, and they're conscious of it and proud of it, and it's commonly noted by all sorts of people including Jews and self-righteous prigs. So goys like me are supposed to ignore their Jewishness so as to avoid offending....who exactly? You? Your accusations of anti-Semitism or racism are unjustified. Besides, we're supposed to be bashing the phoniness of Noter Daim here. Stay on track.

I didn't realize you commented about students "being conscious and proud of it". You're right about our mission to bash the phoniness of Notre Dame. Let's stay on track.

8timechamps
1/19/2013, 12:25 AM
Apparently he has hired a PR firm and they have been discussing how he presents his side of the situation.

According to inside sources, he is 1)torn between stating that he used the hoax to help his Heisman chances, and 2)admitting that he is the most gullible man in America. At this point, the only thing that is clear is that he used her image during phone conversations with her to "consummate" the relationship. These same sources stated that according to the hoaxter, "these were the most challenging times to keep the hoax going."

If you have to hire a PR firm to represent your side, things are probably not working out as you planned.

olevetonahill
1/19/2013, 12:32 AM
I didn't realize you commented about students "being conscious and proud of it". You're right about our mission to bash the phoniness of Notre Dame. Let's stay on track.

Shore am gladed we gots a nOOb to show us the way and keep us on de tracks.:snowman:

Blue
1/19/2013, 01:08 AM
This story is completely overblown and ridiculous. I mean who gives a crap?

Am I watching Anderson Cooper or Sportscenter?

olevetonahill
1/19/2013, 01:10 AM

Am I watching Anderson Cooper or Sportscenter?

OOPRA and Ellen degenerate.

colleyvillesooner
1/19/2013, 01:18 AM
Just when I think this story can't get any weirder, it goes and does something like this...AND TOTALLY REDEEMED ITSELF.

Newspaper: "Lennay" Called Manti Te'o In December And Said She'd Faked Her Death To Elude Drug Dealers

http://m.deadspin.com/5977243/newspaper-lennay-called-manti-teo-in-december-and-said-shed-faked-her-death-to-elude-drug-dealers?tag=manti-te.o

olevetonahill
1/19/2013, 01:22 AM
Just when I think this story can't get any weirder, it goes and does something like this...AND TOTALLY REDEEMED ITSELF.

Newspaper: "Lennay" Called Manti Te'o In December And Said She'd Faked Her Death To Elude Drug Dealers

http://m.deadspin.com/5977243/newspaper-lennay-called-manti-teo-in-december-and-said-shed-faked-her-death-to-elude-drug-dealers?tag=manti-te.o

this dudes drank way too much Fermented Coconut milk.

SoonerStormchaser
1/19/2013, 07:41 AM
Here's the long and short of it...either Te'o is an attention whore who is in on this since day 1...or he's the dumbest mother ****er on the planet!!! Either way, he should not be allowed to procreate and spread his genes throughout society!

TUSooner
1/19/2013, 08:22 AM

Am I watching Anderson Cooper or Sportscenter?I agree it's not really "important: but it's sooooo weird; I've never heard of such a thing.

btw, as much as I always hope for something bad to taint the ND image, I tend to think Te'o's (what's with all these apostrophes?) story is plausible. I can believe he lied about meeting "her" in order to make it look like he wasn't as astoundingly gullible as he really is. I also think my "blinded by faith and his own holiness" theory (somewhere above in this thread) is more plausible than him being gay (NTTAWWT).

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8859077/manti-teo-notre-dame-fighting-irish-denies-being-part-hoax-late-girlfriend

SoonerStormchaser
1/19/2013, 08:54 AM
So that means he's the dumbest mother ****er ALIVE!!!

Lott's Bandana
1/19/2013, 09:55 AM
So yesterday I hear that Shelley Smith of that journalistic juggernaut ESPN has concluded that he is a victim of a hoax, based on an interview she did with him about the subject back in DECEMBER.

Does anyone anywhere still believe ESPN doesn't pander to the power in College, or any sport? If you do, then you must have a dead girlfriend.

SoonerinLA
1/19/2013, 10:10 AM
You would think he would have gone to her funeral. Or expressed condolences to her immediate family when she "died". You would think his own friends or family would have cautioned him about an internet relationship. So much does not add up here.

I can only conclude he really is the dumbest blank blank alive.

SoonerinLA
1/19/2013, 10:17 AM
So yesterday I hear that Shelley Smith of that journalistic juggernaut ESPN has concluded that he is a victim of a hoax, based on an interview she did with him about the subject back in DECEMBER.

Does anyone anywhere still believe ESPN doesn't pander to the power in College, or any sport? If you do, then you must have a dead girlfriend.

Almost everyone in the media is now concluding that he was the victim of a hoax. It's too bad the story didn't break before the national title game. There would have been some pretty good signs at the game.

HToady
1/19/2013, 10:25 AM
Almost everyone in the media is now concluding that he was the victim of a hoax. It's too bad the story didn't break before the national title game. There would have been some pretty good signs at the game.

That's because it makes them (media) look better since they did no fact check before running with the story. If it had been contrived by Teo (which it probably was) they would look even more foolish.

Sooner70
1/19/2013, 10:40 AM
Don't know what to think....this is bizarre. Questions:

1) Is it possible that an upper level college student at a primo university is really that gullible? really?
2) If he was involved, what would be his motivation?
3) Will this hurt his chances in the NFL Draft?

I guess if I was Jerry Jones & was looking at him to become a Cowboy, I'd ask him to take a polygraph first.

Scott D
1/19/2013, 10:41 AM
Why is this news?

SoonerStormchaser
1/19/2013, 01:49 PM
Because it's NOTRE DAME...and they have a dumb mother ****er on campus!

TUSooner
1/19/2013, 02:07 PM
Why is this news?

In no particular order:

It shows that ND and BS go hand in hand.

It is just plain the weirdest sports related story ever.

It shows that the media are dumber than a herd of donkeys.

It shows how gullible and stupid and devious people can be, sometimes all at once.

It shows that the Internet is full of BS; OK that's not new, but it's a reminder.

It justifies ignoring, protesting, or loudly condemning all future up-close-and-personal-human-interest-smarmy-BS stories when all we really want is to see the **&^*^%#&#!@#%^&! game!

Feel free to expand.

Lott's Bandana
1/19/2013, 03:35 PM
I wonder now if Lance is really missing a nugget.

Did Oprah check?

8timechamps
1/19/2013, 03:44 PM

http://www.wearysloth.com/Gallery/ActorsC/2760-5456.gif

8timechamps
1/19/2013, 04:53 PM
In case you didn't see it, here's the transcript from the interview Jeremy Schapp did with Te'o: LINK (http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8859544/highlights-manti-teo-interview-jeremy-schaap)

I read through it, and I still don't believe he was a victim. Some of his comments are just strange for a person that was supposedly the victim of a hoax.

winout
1/19/2013, 06:43 PM
Best line I've heard so far: the nerds are disappointed cause even the imaginary girlfriends pick the football players.

Scott D
1/19/2013, 07:15 PM
I don't know, maybe it's me but as far as things go on the radar of any sort of importance in recent 'news' events, this is way down on the list. There are more important things such as Conrad Bain and Earl Weaver dying. Same with the Lance Armstrong crap....duh, he cheated. He rode bikes professionally, of course he cheated. One he's a whorn, and two it's a sport that is more crooked than boxing promoters...shocking.

That being said, I have no problem with him being duped. I honestly don't give a crap if he knew he was being duped, or if he was potentially in on being duped. The fact that this is even being carried as a story anywhere other than TMZ is highly amusing, it's the kind of non news crap those idiots devour.

Petro-Sooner
1/19/2013, 08:37 PM
Well put!

8timechamps
1/19/2013, 08:40 PM
I don't know, maybe it's me but as far as things go on the radar of any sort of importance in recent 'news' events, this is way down on the list. There are more important things such as Conrad Bain and Earl Weaver dying. Same with the Lance Armstrong crap....duh, he cheated. He rode bikes professionally, of course he cheated. One he's a whorn, and two it's a sport that is more crooked than boxing promoters...shocking.

That being said, I have no problem with him being duped. I honestly don't give a crap if he knew he was being duped, or if he was potentially in on being duped. The fact that this is even being carried as a story anywhere other than TMZ is highly amusing, it's the kind of non news crap those idiots devour.

Good job Scott, now I feel bad for following it. You happy?! Jerk.

Really good point!

TUSooner
1/19/2013, 08:53 PM

Well, when you put it THAT way.....:subdued:

And Stan The Man Musial has passed since you posted :apologetic:

Scott D
1/19/2013, 09:24 PM
Good job Scott, now I feel bad for following it. You happy?! Jerk.

Really good point!

my job is done ;)

and see, all this obsessing over Te'o was too much for old Stan Musial...I hope ESPN is happy with itself.

SanDiegoSoonerGal
1/19/2013, 10:10 PM
3) Will this hurt his chances in the NFL Draft?

Depends.

If I am looking for intelligence in a player and I believe he's in on the hoax, I'd have to believe trying to pull it off is pretty much the equivalent of scoring an 8 on the Wonderlic. On the other hand, he did manage to pull it off for quite a while.

If I am looking for intelligence in a player and I believe he isn't in in on the hoax, I am convinced his being sucked into it is the equivalent of scoring a 6 on the Wonderlic.

If I am looking for someone able to cheat craftily and I believe he's in on the hoax, game over.
If I am looking for someone who is able to cheat craftily and I believe he's not in the hoax, game still over because anyone that stupid is too stupid to cheat craftily.

Conclusion: I can't see any way this will NOT hurt his chances in the NFL draft. Then again, Vince Young.

Eielson
1/19/2013, 10:17 PM
Anybody see that facebook picture? Looked fake to me.

olevetonahill
1/19/2013, 10:55 PM
my job is done ;)

and see, all this obsessing over Te'o was too much for old Stan Musial...I hope ESPN is happy with itself.

Them ****ers!

hawaii 5-0
1/19/2013, 11:43 PM
He's still in denial.

The truth shall set him free.

5-0

aurorasooner
1/20/2013, 02:08 AM
The tigerdroppings fark board is having a field day with this, as is one of their other boards, the "other sports board" I think, but it may be the "ot lounge board". Funny as $%)@.

Blue
1/20/2013, 02:11 AM
The tigerdroppings fark board is having a field day with this, as is one of their other boards, the "other sports board" I think, but it may be the "ot lounge board". Funny as $%)@.
Link?

yukonsooner
1/20/2013, 11:06 AM
I would think that some enterprising young sports writer would be trying to obtain phone records. I think that could solve the problem. Allegedly he talked to her every night for hours. If I saw phone records that showed he was on the phone nightly to the same number that might sway my opinion. Also, if the calls stopped when she supposedly died and then another call from that number on Dec. 6 occurred that would support his allegations. However, I doubt that will happen, so as far as I'm concerned he knew what was up and he perpetuated the lie.

All_Day_28
1/20/2013, 04:22 PM
I would think that some enterprising young sports writer would be trying to obtain phone records. I think that could solve the problem. Allegedly he talked to her every night for hours. If I saw phone records that showed he was on the phone nightly to the same number that might sway my opinion. Also, if the calls stopped when she supposedly died and then another call from that number on Dec. 6 occurred that would support his allegations. However, I doubt that will happen, so as far as I'm concerned he knew what was up and he perpetuated the lie.

Agreed. I'm not buying the spin espn is putting on it now that he really was hoaxed. I call BS.

8timechamps
1/20/2013, 04:32 PM
Link?

Here you go... (http://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/b/15/Fark-Board.aspx)