PDA

View Full Version : ****Official NFL Draft Talk****

Pages : [1] 2

stoops the eternal pimp
1/16/2013, 12:29 PM
I may sticky this one as it will be ongoing til April..I will post general rumors, thoughts as well Sooner related info..I don't do a lot of links as about everything from what I watch and see or the guys I have worked with. Some stuff I can't post as I am back getting paid a little for the information and they don't like me dishing it out on boards..

Anyway This draft is going to be pretty interesting..I predicted a year ago that the 2012 draft would have a record amount of 1st round trades and I was right..I don't think this will get close, but there are some defensive prizes in the 1st round that a lot of teams will be eyeballing.

I'm hearing all kinds of things on KC's first pick..Obviously there is a quarterbacking need, and Reid is known for his solid work with young QBs..I also hear they will go with the top player overall, not necessarily QB..If they go QB, as of now, it looks like possibly Geno Smith in this very average class of quarterbacks. But remember that then rookie coach Andy Reid surprised everyone when pushing to pick Donavan McNabb instead of Ricky Williams in the 01 draft.

If they go best overall, they can go ahead and turn in their card now to select Luke Joeckel, LT for aTm..Joeckel in my opinion is the best LT prospect in the last 10 years.

starclassic tama
1/16/2013, 12:45 PM
i think geno smith is a huge reach for a #1 overall pick, but i could definitely be wrong. maybe he will end up being a good one. is it just me or does nobody in this draft save for possibly joeckel scream "worthy of #1 overall pick"? there could be a lot of depth in this draft, but it doesn't seem like there is one true superstar out there. of course there could end up being about 10 so you never know how it is going to play out 5 years down the road.

jk the sooner fan
1/16/2013, 12:54 PM
i've seen a couple of mock drafts with Lane Johnson going in the first round

badger
1/16/2013, 12:56 PM
1 Kansas City Chiefs 2-14 .516
2 Jacksonville Jaguars 2-14 .539
3 Oakland Raiders 4-12 .469
4 Philadelphia Eagles 4-12 .508
5 Detroit Lions 4-12 .566
6 Cleveland Browns 5-11 .508
7 Arizona Cardinals 5-11 .559
8 Buffalo Bills 6-10 .480
9 New York Jets 6-10 .512
10 Tennessee Titans* 6-10 .512
11 San Diego Chargers 7-9 .457
12 Miami Dolphins 7-9 .500
13 Tampa Bay Buccaneers 7-9 .502
14 Carolina Panthers 7-9 .516
15 New Orleans Saints 7-9 .521
16 St. Louis Rams 7-8-1 .539
17 Pittsburgh Steelers 8-8 .465
18 Dallas Cowboys 8-8 .523
19 New York Giants 9-7 .521
20 Chicago Bears 10-6 .512
21 Cincinnati Bengals 10-6 .438
22 Washington Redskins** 10-6 .494
23 Minnesota Vikings 10-6 .520
24 Indianapolis Colts 11-5 .441
25 Seattle Seahawks 11-5 .504
26 Green Bay Packers 11-5 .508
27 Houston Texans 12-4 .496
28 Denver Broncos 13-3 .457

Questions for STEP:

1- Is KC going to bail on the Matt Cassell experiment, or would having a quality blind side protector give them enough confidence to get Matt another shot? Brady Quinn have any shot?

2- Is Jacksonville really not going after Tebow? Is Blaine Gabbert's time up there?

3- Do either Trojan Heismans have a future as a starting Oakland QB, or will they try to bring in someone new?

4- Michael Vick still the starter in Philly, or are they cutting him loose?

5- Skipping the Lions, they have their QB and we all know it...

6- Do the Browns stick with Weeden, or write him (and Colt) off as a bad pick and try again this draft?

7- The Cardinals badly need a quarterback. Will they over-rate the best one available and take a QB here regardless just because they are so desperate for a QB?

8- Fitz still the sure-fire starter in Buffalo?

9- Rex Ryan's time is short in NYJ, so does he stick with Sanchez (and Tebow/McElroy), or does he please the fans and get a new one?

10- Still Jake Locker's team, or the Titans QB spot up for grabs?

I ask about the top 10 picks and the QB position, because after last year's QB class had a lot of starters, you have to wonder if NFL execs are going to try to repeat history

stoops the eternal pimp
1/16/2013, 01:09 PM
i've seen a couple of mock drafts with Lane Johnson going in the first round

Yeah it really depends on where a team thinks he can play..A great LT is a 1st round pick..A great RT is a 2nd round pick..Right now it's split on him

stoops the eternal pimp
1/16/2013, 01:11 PM
i think geno smith is a huge reach for a #1 overall pick, but i could definitely be wrong. maybe he will end up being a good one. is it just me or does nobody in this draft save for possibly joeckel scream "worthy of #1 overall pick"? there could be a lot of depth in this draft, but it doesn't seem like there is one true superstar out there. of course there could end up being about 10 so you never know how it is going to play out 5 years down the road.

I do too..but the Christian Ponder rule states that if CP can be picked that high, any QB can..

There are a lot of good DTs and DEs in this draft with your usual mix of corners, most from the SEC..From watching the SEC championship game, there was as many as 7 first round picks in that game.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/16/2013, 01:23 PM
Questions for STEP:

1- Is KC going to bail on the Matt Cassell experiment, or would having a quality blind side protector give them enough confidence to get Matt another shot? Brady Quinn have any shot? Reid does not want Cassel and Quinn has 0 chance.

2- Is Jacksonville really not going after Tebow? Is Blaine Gabbert's time up there? I'm fairly sure Gabbert is done as a starter there..I doubt they go after Tebow as they are bringing in a new coach who will want to rebuild..Can't rebuild around Tebow. If KC doesn't take Smith, the Jaguars most likely will. if Joeckel falls, they make take him and then take a snag on one of the many 2nd-4th round quarterbacks.

3- Do either Trojan Heismans have a future as a starting Oakland QB, or will they try to bring in someone new? I don't know yet..I'm interested to see what they will do with Pryor.

4- Michael Vick still the starter in Philly, or are they cutting him loose? I wouldn't doubt Mike Vick ending up in Buffalo..They want him pretty badly..

5- Skipping the Lions, they have their QB and we all know it...

6- Do the Browns stick with Weeden, or write him (and Colt) off as a bad pick and try again this draft? When the Browns were talking to Chip Kelly, Weeden's time was going to end quick..With the hire they made, I imagine they will stick with him one more season.

7- The Cardinals badly need a quarterback. Will they over-rate the best one available and take a QB here regardless just because they are so desperate for a QB? Other than KC, and maybe Oakland, the worst qb drafting team i've ever seen.. They will probably over rate the best one available.

8- Fitz still the sure-fire starter in Buffalo? See Michael Vick

9- Rex Ryan's time is short in NYJ, so does he stick with Sanchez (and Tebow/McElroy), or does he please the fans and get a new one? I don't think he can go with a new one at this point since it's going to be a win now or get fired season for him..I'm guessing fired by the 5th game.

10- Still Jake Locker's team, or the Titans QB spot up for grabs?Still Locker's team if he can stay healthy.

I ask about the top 10 picks and the QB position, because after last year's QB class had a lot of starters, you have to wonder if NFL execs are going to try to repeat history

What is the wild card in this draft is

1.This QB class is average without star power
2. There are not many FA QBs to pick from this season- The guys who have ended up on the bench (Alex Smith, Matt Flynn) are cheap enough that their current team will probably keep them as back ups.

Eielson
1/16/2013, 01:24 PM
Is Warmack as good as advertised (best guard prospect in a loooong time), and will he be available at 16?

Also, what receivers do you like?

stoops the eternal pimp
1/16/2013, 01:24 PM
The quarterback name to watch out for is Ryan Nassib from Syracuse..I really like the kid and fits the mold of quarterback that teams are looking for.

CowboyMRW
1/16/2013, 01:30 PM
What about the LT from Central Michigan. I've heard great things about him, maybe even being better than Joekel?

badger
1/16/2013, 01:33 PM
More quarterback questions for STEP! (thanks for the top 10 answer, btw):
1- When will Landry Jones land, and is any team showing first-round interest in him?
2- What Big 12 quarterbacks are going to get drafted, and in what rounds?
3- Rumor has it that a USC underclassman ripped Matt Barkley in the post-bowl loss lockerroom, causing a big team brawl. This incident, the injuries and overall downfall of preseason No. 1 USC: What impact does it have on Barkley's draft stock? Was he the No. 1 pick last year if he left?
4- Should any former Sooner starters in the NFL be sweating their roster spot/depth chart spot with any potential high draft picks? (i.e. St. Louis draft another quarterback to compete with Sammie)
5- What position is the easiest to pick up a quality player in the undrafted (or Mr. Irrelevant) point of the draft?

stoops the eternal pimp
1/16/2013, 01:34 PM
Is Warmack as good as advertised (best guard prospect in a loooong time), and will he be available at 16?

Also, what receivers do you like?

Warmack is good..I do think he will still be there for the Rams.

As far WRs, If you are talking about true #1s, I really like the Tennessee WRs(Hunter and Patterson)..Terrance Williams will be a good one also..

It depends on if the Rams are ready to dissolve the Brian Quick project already what they will look for.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/16/2013, 01:48 PM
More quarterback questions for STEP! (thanks for the top 10 answer, btw):
1- When will Landry Jones land, and is any team showing first-round interest in him?
I am not hearing anyone talk 1st round with him..But this Senior Bowl will be very important as there are about 5 guys jockeying for the 2nd qb taken spot..Barkley, Jones, Glennon, Bray, Wilson..I don't know how many will end up participating but they are all neck n neck IMO.

2- What Big 12 quarterbacks are going to get drafted, and in what rounds?
Right now, all i have is LJ getting drafted..mid/late 2nd- early 3rd right now

3- Rumor has it that a USC underclassman ripped Matt Barkley in the post-bowl loss lockerroom, causing a big team brawl. This incident, the injuries and overall downfall of preseason No. 1 USC: What impact does it have on Barkley's draft stock? Was he the No. 1 pick last year if he left?

Barkley has almost pulled off the Jevan Snead technigue..Amost. Barkley's injury won't be an issue and most teams will tell you that the USC line was very bad. very bad. And no, he wouldn't have been the top pick.

4- Should any former Sooner starters in the NFL be sweating their roster spot/depth chart spot with any potential high draft picks? (i.e. St. Louis draft another quarterback to compete with Sammie)

That will take some time. One guy who may be on watch is injury prone Jammal Brown..

5- What position is the easiest to pick up a quality player in the undrafted (or Mr. Irrelevant) point of the draft?

WR, then LB..RB is getting there.

badger
1/16/2013, 01:58 PM
OK, just some general questions:

1- Worst teams to be drafted to
2- Worst teams in the NFL draft (most busts, most overrated picks, etc)
3- Worst stories of players in recent history to stay senior year, only to watch draft stock fall
4- Worst stories of players in recent history to skip senior year, only to to watch draft stock fall

I'll clear one on that last one right away: Wisconsin "Winnebago" running back John Clay (undrafted in 2011)

Eielson
1/16/2013, 02:03 PM
I've been hearing Tony Jefferson is a 2nd rounder. Does that line up with what you're seeing, and how does he stack up against the likes of Reid and Elam (or any other FS you have ranked highly).

stoops the eternal pimp
1/16/2013, 02:42 PM
OK, just some general questions:

1- Worst teams to be drafted to- Jacksonville or Arizona
2- Worst teams in the NFL draft (most busts, most overrated picks, etc)-Oakland
3- Worst stories of players in recent history to stay senior year, only to watch draft stock fall- May end up barkley.
4- Worst stories of players in recent history to skip senior year, only to to watch draft stock fall- Jevan Snead

Vontaze Burfict, who was considered a top 5 pick at one time, fell completely out of the draft..had a nice season for the bengals.

I'll clear one on that last one right away: Wisconsin "Winnebago" running back John Clay (undrafted in 2011)

stoops the eternal pimp
1/16/2013, 02:45 PM
I've been hearing Tony Jefferson is a 2nd rounder. Does that line up with what you're seeing, and how does he stack up against the likes of Reid and Elam (or any other FS you have ranked highly).

Yeah, I'm seeing early/mid 2nd.. More similar to Elam than Reid..Not as good as either in coverage, better than both in run support..

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/16/2013, 02:49 PM

The biggest question mark for Jefferson is going to be speed. With every team and their dog going to more of a spread O, your Free or Strong safety has to be as good/fast as your 3rd/4th corner. If his speed doesn't end up in the low 4.5 range, teams are going to value corners OVER someone who is going to be situational for 7-8 games a year.

This assumes that GMs are going to do what I think they will and overcompensate with speed to counter the new running QB trend. There is a good chance that the position that TGRW/Polamalu made re-relevant is about to move back into irrelevance come draft day. We could very well see a player cascade that could push him down to the 4th if the above happens.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/16/2013, 03:30 PM
BTW, a record 74 players have declared early for this draft..

There is a shift going on where players are not really concerned if they are an early draft pick and just if they are in a position to be drafted period..

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/16/2013, 03:34 PM
BTW, a record 74 players have declared early for this draft..

There is a shift going on where players are not really concerned if they are an early draft pick and just if they are in a position to be drafted period..

So basically, they are thinking like high schoolers. "Playing Early" in the NFL is a good way to get maimed for life.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/16/2013, 03:56 PM
The biggest question mark for Jefferson is going to be speed. With every team and their dog going to more of a spread O, your Free or Strong safety has to be as good/fast as your 3rd/4th corner. If his speed doesn't end up in the low 4.5 range, teams are going to value corners OVER someone who is going to be situational for 7-8 games a year.

This assumes that GMs are going to do what I think they will and overcompensate with speed to counter the new running QB trend. There is a good chance that the position that TGRW/Polamalu made re-relevant is about to move back into irrelevance come draft day. We could very well see a player cascade that could push him down to the 4th if the above happens.

What he has working in his favor is that around 12 teams really need to take a safety or get a FA..As far as FA is concerned, there isn't much in the pool this year. League wide, I can name all the good safeties on one hand.

I have no disagreements with how far he may slide down...The safety from Texas is jumping up everyone's boards right now, mostly because he is 6' and can run a sub 4.5..Safety and QB just don't have a lot to offer this year, which is good for Jefferson also.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/16/2013, 03:58 PM
So basically, they are thinking like high schoolers. "Playing Early" in the NFL is a good way to get maimed for life.

I think we will see even more of a drop in quality defensive play over it for sure..and more injuries.

Curly Bill
1/16/2013, 04:06 PM
Better to get injured while getting paid, then while on schollie though!

8timechamps
1/16/2013, 04:45 PM
Step,

Unless the Chiefs go out on a limb and take Geno Smith as their #1 pick, I wouldn't be surprised if they took Star Lotulelei, that kid is an animal. Would it surprise you to see KC wait until the second round to pick up a QB?

I've also noticed that Damontre Moore is getting a lot of attention, could he end up in Jacksonville?

stoops the eternal pimp
1/16/2013, 05:04 PM
Step,

Unless the Chiefs go out on a limb and take Geno Smith as their #1 pick, I wouldn't be surprised if they took Star Lotulelei, that kid is an animal. Would it surprise you to see KC wait until the second round to pick up a QB?

I've also noticed that Damontre Moore is getting a lot of attention, could he end up in Jacksonville?

i could see everyone with quarterback needs doing that..and I've already talked to a couple of people that if a QB doesn't jump out at Reid, he will go best player available..and since Reid is going to stay with the 3-4, they could go ahead with Lotulelei..the thing with KC is that with all of their team needs, LT or NT are really not necessities in this draft..But Joeckel is the top overall guy IMO...No matter what, Star won't make it out of the top 3 as 2 of the 3 are 3-4 defenses.

There are a lot of good tweeners in this draft..Jarvis Jones, Bjork Werner, Demontre Moore..DE or OLB 3-4 guys.. At this point, I like Werner better than anyone, but I know that will change..The Jaguars could pick from those 3 guys right there and not go wrong.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/16/2013, 05:05 PM
Better to get injured while getting paid, then while on schollie though!

This sounds like the premise of a Hallmark movie -> Kindergartner severely maimed when he allows 5th graders to punch him for money. Please don't cry for Archie Teena

badger
1/16/2013, 05:09 PM
OK, another draft question to throw out there: Rank the pre-draft things in order of importance:

1- Senior Bowl
2- NFL Combine
3- School's Pro Day on campus
4- Individual workouts with team(s)
5- Mel Kiper et al's big boards and other rankings
6- Stats from college game
7- Awards from college game
8- Who your agent is
9- The Wonderlic
10- Player interviews with team(s)

stoops the eternal pimp
1/16/2013, 05:30 PM
Bottom 5-agent, College Stats, outside draft boards, awards, wonderlic
top 5-combine, senior bowl, player interviews, school pro day, individual workouts

Salt City Sooner
1/16/2013, 06:13 PM
What is the wild card in this draft is

1.This QB class is average without star power
2. There are not many FA QBs to pick from this season- The guys who have ended up on the bench (Alex Smith, Matt Flynn) are cheap enough that their current team will probably keep them as back ups.

Flynn's due 5.2 mil for the upcoming year, & 6.2 the next. Correct me if I'm off, but isn't that a tad pricey for the backup QB? Reason I ask is that there are a ton of murmurs/rumors up this way that KC's leaning toward that direction (or someone similar) @ QB & taking Joekel in the draft because as you've stated, this isn't the most highly regarded QB class to say the least.

8timechamps
1/16/2013, 07:11 PM
i could see everyone with quarterback needs doing that..and I've already talked to a couple of people that if a QB doesn't jump out at Reid, he will go best player available..and since Reid is going to stay with the 3-4, they could go ahead with Lotulelei..the thing with KC is that with all of their team needs, LT or NT are really not necessities in this draft..But Joeckel is the top overall guy IMO...No matter what, Star won't make it out of the top 3 as 2 of the 3 are 3-4 defenses.

There are a lot of good tweeners in this draft..Jarvis Jones, Bjork Werner, Demontre Moore..DE or OLB 3-4 guys.. At this point, I like Werner better than anyone, but I know that will change..The Jaguars could pick from those 3 guys right there and not go wrong.

What are the odds that (assuming a QB doesn't get their attention) KC trades down the board? It looks like a plethora of good D-line talent at the top, so moving down a little seems like it could work out for them.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/16/2013, 07:20 PM
Right now 8x, it doesn't look like anyone wants that top spot to deal with them.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/16/2013, 07:21 PM
Flynn's due 5.2 mil for the upcoming year, & 6.2 the next. Correct me if I'm off, but isn't that a tad pricey for the backup QB? Reason I ask is that there are a ton of murmurs/rumors up this way that KC's leaning toward that direction (or someone similar) @ QB & taking Joekel in the draft because as you've stated, this isn't the most highly regarded QB class to say the least.

It's not too pricey when your starter is a 5'11 200lb guy who likes to run...That's the feeling I get from them anyway.

8timechamps
1/16/2013, 07:26 PM
Right now 8x, it doesn't look like anyone wants that top spot to deal with them.

Interesting. I guess you'll know a lot more after the combine.

badger
1/17/2013, 09:11 AM

Is it a burden that a GM doesn't want when his arse is on the line, or is it that there's just no player than screams FIRST OVERALL PICK this year?

stoops the eternal pimp
1/17/2013, 09:16 AM
depends on the team situation and the fire under the gm..with KC, I trust Dorsey the gm as he did an excellent job as director of scouting for the Packers..he is also saying KC will take the best player available..i interpet that as "or until a qb separates himself."

badger
1/17/2013, 11:51 AM
depends on the team situation and the fire under the gm..with KC, I trust Dorsey the gm as he did an excellent job as director of scouting for the Packers..he is also saying KC will take the best player available..i interpet that as "or until a qb separates himself."

If a QB doesn't separate himself, who are the best non-starters available that's currently on an NFL roster (or that could be lured out of retirement a la Fav-ruh)? And what would be the cost trade-wise for them?

Soonerjeepman
1/17/2013, 12:25 PM
STEP...couple of us here in kc are thinking KC ought to trade #1 pick for a QB...Cousins (?) back-up for RG3...is that something KC might do?

Not sure if you are more on the pro side or college side of the draft.

Soonerjeepman
1/17/2013, 12:27 PM
lured out of retirement a la Fav-ruh

NOOOOOOO....we don't want anymore un-retired players...for their last go-around. Although I did enjoy MA and JM but that's it.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/17/2013, 12:32 PM
If a QB doesn't separate himself, who are the best non-starters available that's currently on an NFL roster (or that could be lured out of retirement a la Fav-ruh)? And what would be the cost trade-wise for them?

That is really a non existing market this year, especially with the pay-another-team's-backup to-be-your-starter schtick didn't really pan out well lately(Flynn, Cassel, Kolb, etc)...Not really a hot backup out there. Like I mentioned earlier, I think Alex Smith and Flynn will both remain with the teams they are with right now.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/17/2013, 12:33 PM
STEP...couple of us here in kc are thinking KC ought to trade #1 pick for a QB...Cousins (?) back-up for RG3...is that something KC might do?

Not sure if you are more on the pro side or college side of the draft.

I'm not thinking that is a real option unless Washington gives the kitchen sink with Cousins...and I don't think Cousins is worth it anyway.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/17/2013, 02:51 PM
Looking at the Chiefs (which I didn't see them play all season), it looks like the thing that killed them was turnover margin (tied for last in the NFL with the eagles).

Offense -> Middle of the pack except points scored (bottom) which points towards the turnover margin. 20 Ints and 11 Fumbles. QB 6 TDs vs 20 Ints ouch. 40 sacks given up (ouch).
Defense -> Middle of the pack except for the fact that apparently they can't recover a fumble to save their lives (18 fumbles 5 recovered).

Based on this, I'd go LT with the first pick. It lengthens your rebuild time, but the key is that it allows you to draft a good QB next year with the confidence he won't get killed.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/17/2013, 02:59 PM
A quarterback drafted by the Chiefs has not won a game for them since 1987(The player who won that game was Todd Blackledge who they drafted in 83)..So I would say stay away from drafting a quarterback.

jk the sooner fan
1/17/2013, 03:02 PM
Alex Smith might be an attractive option for KC

stoops the eternal pimp
1/17/2013, 03:03 PM
I will leave all the imaginary girlfriend talk to the other thread, but as of right now, this fiasco will damper Te'o's draft status...whether duped or telling a lie, about half the guys I've talked to today are really backing off of him...for now.

And I'm still hearing he isn't going to show the week of senior bowl like most potential high draft picks do so that he doesn't have to field questions from NFLers just yet.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/17/2013, 03:07 PM
Alex Smith might be an attractive option for KC

I would think so, but I'm hearing that SF doesn't want to part with him..They can afford to keep him and do what they want. base salary is 5 mil..there was no signing bonus.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/17/2013, 03:08 PM
I think these playoff contenders with the running QBs(seattle, SF, wash) really want to keep capable backups in case their starter goes down..

rock on sooner
1/17/2013, 03:19 PM
I will leave all the imaginary girlfriend talk to the other thread, but as of right now, this fiasco will damper Te'o's draft status...whether duped or telling a lie, about half the guys I've talked to today are really backing off of him...for now.

And I'm still hearing he isn't going to show the week of senior bowl like most potential high draft picks do so that he doesn't have to field questions from NFLers just yet.

Anybody heard what prompted the reporter to dig into this mess? This is
gonna cost Te'o several million, if there are any questions remaining come
draft day.

colleyvillesooner
1/17/2013, 03:36 PM
Anybody heard what prompted the reporter to dig into this mess? This is
gonna cost Te'o several million, if there are any questions remaining come
draft day.

Supposedly ESPN had the story 10 days ago but sat on it trying to get the 1 on 1 interview. Clay Travis of outkickthecoverage thinks someone at ESPN leaked the lead to deadspin since it was being slowplayed at ESPN.

If, as Deadspin has Tweeted, they've only had the story five days, how did it take ESPN twice that long to produce nothing?

Also, for you sports media conspiracy nuts out there, is it more convenient for ESPN if someone else breaks a story like this first?

Yes.

Would it shock me if someone at ESPN tipped off Deadspin because the story was getting slowplayed? As a former Deadspin editor, it wouldn't be the first time that happened, so it wouldn't shock me at all.

http://www.outkickthecoverage.com/manti-teos-fake-dead-girlfriend-breaks-the-internet.php

stoops the eternal pimp
1/17/2013, 03:40 PM
The guy, I should say kid, who broke the story is not even a full fledged reporter..He is an undergrad student who've i've communicating with some since late last night when I tracked him down..

badger
1/18/2013, 09:15 AM
The guy, I should say kid, who broke the story is not even a full fledged reporter..He is an undergrad student who've i've communicating with some since late last night when I tracked him down..

Can you divulge any of your conversations? I'm curious as to how he got this story ahead of most major media outlets, which now look foolish for pushing this hoax throughout the football season.

To make it draft related, Teo is at worst, a very bad man and at best, a very dumb one. Do any teams think he is the next Ray Lewis, or are they going to mostly pass on this rotten egg and the rotten press he will bring to their team?

I have to assume that the token Under Armour and Subway endorsement dealios that some first rounders typically get are now out the window. Maybe a tongue-in-cheek eHarmony ad if people forgive him, but I don't see that at this point or in the near future.

Soonerjeepman
1/18/2013, 09:24 AM
I could see Alex Smith..

SanJoaquinSooner
1/18/2013, 09:24 AM
I would think so, but I'm hearing that SF doesn't want to part with him..They can afford to keep him and do what they want. base salary is 5 mil..there was no signing bonus.

especially when you have a QB that runs, injuries are inevitable, so it is essential you have a good backup.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/18/2013, 09:37 AM
Can you divulge any of your conversations? I'm curious as to how he got this story ahead of most major media outlets, which now look foolish for pushing this hoax throughout the football season.

To make it draft related, Teo is at worst, a very bad man and at best, a very dumb one. Do any teams think he is the next Ray Lewis, or are they going to mostly pass on this rotten egg and the rotten press he will bring to their team?

I have to assume that the token Under Armour and Subway endorsement dealios that some first rounders typically get are now out the window. Maybe a tongue-in-cheek eHarmony ad if people forgive him, but I don't see that at this point or in the near future.

Right now, there is just a strong backlash against Te'o, but i'm sure it will ease up..But I can tell you his money will be made or lost in the interview rooms.

He broke the story first because he was the first as far as I know to even think something may be up.. 2 things that he said bothered him initially that started the whole process..1. Nothing at all from the "girl's" parents media wise and 2. no photos with the 2 of them together..

ESPN said they had the story and sat on it for days, but I don't believe that.

Anyway, back to draft talk.

badger
1/18/2013, 11:27 AM
Anyway, back to draft talk.

Who else is endangering their draft stock with off-the-field sh!t a la Manti Teo?

Mjcpr
1/18/2013, 12:00 PM
Do we have a questions limit or can we ask as many as we want?
If so, does that last question count against it?

stoops the eternal pimp
1/18/2013, 12:13 PM
Who else is endangering their draft stock with off-the-field sh!t a la Manti Teo?

Da'Rick Rogers is a WR for Tennessee Tech that started out at Tennessee before getting booted..Top 15 talent, probably a late 2nd/3rd round pick now..

stoops the eternal pimp
1/18/2013, 12:14 PM
Do we have a questions limit or can we ask as many as we want?

I hate you.
I love you.
I hate you.

badger
1/18/2013, 12:15 PM
I'm ignoring the question limit:

Who will be the first five Big 12 players taken and where (and remember that it includes WVU and TCU now!)

stoops the eternal pimp
1/18/2013, 02:42 PM
Like I mentioned earlier, this is a terrible year to try to snag a FA at the quarterback position. Besides Joe Flacco, it's a who's who of career backups and guys with nothing left in the tank..So unless you want Chase Daniel really bad, it's an empty pool.

RB free agents begin and end with Steven Jackson..

Now WR is a deep pool this year..Welker, Bowe, Cruz, Wallace, Jennings

Tackle is a deep one with about 8 solid players..loadholt, Jake long...big group

stoops the eternal pimp
1/18/2013, 02:49 PM
I'm ignoring the question limit:

Who will be the first five Big 12 players taken and where (and remember that it includes WVU and TCU now!)

Geno Smith-1 or 2, or middle of the 1st..
Kenny Vaccaro- late 1st round
Terrence Williams- late 1st/early 2nd
Lane Johnson- late 1st/early 2nd
Tavon Austin-early 2nd
Alex Okafor-early 2nd

Eielson
1/18/2013, 02:50 PM
Da'Rick Rogers is a WR for Tennessee Tech that started out at Tennessee before getting booted..Top 15 talent, probably a late 2nd/3rd round pick now..

How did Tennessee stockpile so many talented receivers? Did Kiffin recruit those guys?

And speaking of Teo, is he projected at MLB only, or could he potentially be moved to OLB? I heard some guys discussing moving him to OLB to fit a team need. I wasn't so sure about it, but I don't really have much of an eye for that stuff.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/18/2013, 03:03 PM
Geno Smith-1 or 2, or middle of the 1st..
Kenny Vaccaro- late 1st round
Terrence Williams- late 1st/early 2nd
Lane Johnson- late 1st/early 2nd
Tavon Austin-early 2nd
Alex Okafor-early 2nd

I know Vaccarro has measurables but the guy can't play football.

badger
1/18/2013, 03:13 PM
I know Vaccarro has measurables but the guy can't play football.
Are Texas players still viewed as coddled softies in the league, or was that just an anti-UT report generated a few years ago to make Texas haters laugh?

As a sidenote, one of the few benefits of having LNH (via ATT Uverse) was seeing UT's postseason banquet, with Kenny raking in many team awards. I know it sounds like bad TV, but it was embarrassingly funny.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/18/2013, 03:53 PM
How did Tennessee stockpile so many talented receivers? Did Kiffin recruit those guys?

And speaking of Teo, is he projected at MLB only, or could he potentially be moved to OLB? I heard some guys discussing moving him to OLB to fit a team need. I wasn't so sure about it, but I don't really have much of an eye for that stuff.

The DB coach from Tennessee(Was on Kiffin's staff and went with him to usc) did..It's very possible that the first 2 WRs going are from Tennessee and maybe 3 if Rogers blows up at the combine..

Rogers was so good he that Patterson couldn't do a thing until Rogers left..amazing athlete..Empty between the ears.

I think putting Te'o on the outside takes away from what he does well..I'm sure he can play outside but the question is would you rather have him be a great ILB, or a good OLB.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/18/2013, 03:54 PM
I think Viccaro will end up a pretty good pro..can play either safety spot, solid against the run, can run man press(ask Ryan Broyles) pretty well..I think he probably starts out as a extra db is some subsets, but I think he'll be pretty good.

The negatives I've seen is some bad angles on the run, and not so good ball skills..He's dropped some easy ones.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/18/2013, 04:08 PM
I think Viccaro will end up a pretty good pro..can play either safety spot, solid against the run, can run man press(ask Ryan Broyles) pretty well..I think he probably starts out as a extra db is some subsets, but I think he'll be pretty good.

The negatives I've seen is some bad angles on the run, and not so good ball skills..He's dropped some easy ones.

STEP if you boil defensive back down to its simplest level it is about running with someone and angles. Angles covers everything from understanding what vector you need to take to break up a pass to understanding the most probable location of the ball being thrown behind you to find it. Everything that I have seen from Vaccarro he goes where the player is, not where he will be.

In my mind, he is the exact opposite of Nathan Vasher. Vasher had no speed, but was a master of angles and did decently well for himself in the pros.

badger
1/18/2013, 04:20 PM
Fun question: Who will be the last guy stuck in the green room a la Brady Quinn?

Mjcpr
1/18/2013, 04:23 PM
Roger, Roger. What's our vector, Vaccarro?

stoops the eternal pimp
1/18/2013, 04:59 PM
STEP if you boil defensive back down to its simplest level it is about running with someone and angles. Angles covers everything from understanding what vector you need to take to break up a pass to understanding the most probable location of the ball being thrown behind you to find it. Everything that I have seen from Vaccarro he goes where the player is, not where he will be.

In my mind, he is the exact opposite of Nathan Vasher. Vasher had no speed, but was a master of angles and did decently well for himself in the pros.

From what I've watched from, the bad angles are not a regular issue. And it's in the run game, not the pass game..It's no more than what any of the other top 3 safeties. His coverage skills are there..Several times I've seen him run the receiver's routes for them and make plays..Watching his work against Swope and Broyles from last season, he more than held his own, rerouting them, running their routes..When he was in coverage, he was always around the ball..solid hips, can shed a fullback typically, understands getting his receiver to move into a place where he can get help.

I really think he is the kind of guy NFL teams are looking for. Big enough to jam up slot receivers, quick enough to cover TEs..

I think the problem with him in college has been Diaz putting him in bad positions and Vaccaro using his athleticism to make up for it.

starclassic tama
1/18/2013, 09:30 PM
i think vaccaro has a shot. he played a lot of nickelback at texas this past season which i did not understand at all. i think he translates to a deep safety in the NFL. it is difficult to project any of the defenders at texas because they had such a bad year overall, and i think a lot of that has to do with diaz. i could see vaccaro, okafor and jeffcoat all being starters in the NFL

what do you know about sylvester williams step? i am really surprised not to see him in the first round mocks. the few games of his i caught he looked absolutely dominant at times

Collier11
1/18/2013, 10:21 PM
I didnt read the whole thread, but here is my stance...

I am a Chiefs fan and I actually want Geno Smith, just not at #1...if we could trade out to somewhere late in the top 10 and get him as well as another 2nd or 3rd, I would be elated.

I hear the Pats love Tavon Austin and that would be scary

I hope Lattimore makes it big time, I feel bad for the guy

Put me on record right now, Landry goes no lower than 2nd rd. Kiper said 3rd-5th I believe and I think he is FOS. Not because I think Landry will be a great NFL QB, but I think he will light up the workouts and rise up the board

Badger...are you serious? The Cassel project has been done for a while, he sucks plain and simple

Collier11
1/18/2013, 10:24 PM
and to the guy who said the Chiefs should sign Alex Smith, I would be happy with that...

Scott D
1/19/2013, 12:12 AM
the Chiefs should trade for Matt Schaub so that jlew would have an aneurysm ;)

stoops the eternal pimp
1/19/2013, 04:26 PM
i think vaccaro has a shot. he played a lot of nickelback at texas this past season which i did not understand at all. i think he translates to a deep safety in the NFL. it is difficult to project any of the defenders at texas because they had such a bad year overall, and i think a lot of that has to do with diaz. i could see vaccaro, okafor and jeffcoat all being starters in the NFL

what do you know about sylvester williams step? i am really surprised not to see him in the first round mocks. the few games of his i caught he looked absolutely dominant at times

Here is the thing with Williams..He is victim of being in a draft full of 1st round quality DTs..I have 10 DTs with 1st round grades..I have him as the 7th..The thing that pushes him behind the others is

1. Lack of burst that you would like to see from a 3 tech. DT.. 2. Bad film against quality opponents..He virtually disappeared in the 2nd half of the season..

I still think he will be a solid pro.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/19/2013, 04:27 PM
I didnt read the whole thread, but here is my stance...

I am a Chiefs fan and I actually want Geno Smith, just not at #1...if we could trade out to somewhere late in the top 10 and get him as well as another 2nd or 3rd, I would be elated.

I hear the Pats love Tavon Austin and that would be scary

I hope Lattimore makes it big time, I feel bad for the guy

Put me on record right now, Landry goes no lower than 2nd rd. Kiper said 3rd-5th I believe and I think he is FOS. Not because I think Landry will be a great NFL QB, but I think he will light up the workouts and rise up the board

Badger...are you serious? The Cassel project has been done for a while, he sucks plain and simple

With Welker being a FA, Austin is a pick they are considering for that slot position.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/19/2013, 04:39 PM
Watching this raycom game.

Josh Jarboe - heh, the kid looks like Dez Bryant when he tries which has been exactly 1 play so far. His stats are a reflection of his effort.

Hill kid from Missouri Weslayan - he looks like a pretty good late round pickup. Doesn't go down on 1st contact and is able to sense gaps.

McFarland -> In the backfield on 2 straight plays and then has been double teamed most of the game. Basically just concedes when double teamed.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/19/2013, 05:13 PM
Watching this raycom game.

Josh Jarboe - heh, the kid looks like Dez Bryant when he tries which has been exactly 1 play so far. His stats are a reflection of his effort.

Hill kid from Missouri Weslayan - he looks like a pretty good late round pickup. Doesn't go down on 1st contact and is able to sense gaps.

McFarland -> In the backfield on 2 straight plays and then has been double teamed most of the game. Basically just concedes when double teamed.

Michael Hill from Missouri Western.. Yeah, I think he is one of those UDFA who could stick somewhere if he can play STs..

The only player I've ever seen who is a bigger head case than Jarboe is Justin chaisson.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/19/2013, 05:20 PM
Speaking of small school guys look out for Robert Alford, db from SE Louisiana.. Gonna shoot up the draft boards over the next couple of months.

Eielson
1/19/2013, 05:21 PM
How did Landry drop so far? He finished this season a whole lot better than he did last season.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/19/2013, 05:26 PM
When last season ended, he slid way down.. Way down. I didn't realize how much until about the middle of this season..

Here is a Philly scouts response to me when I asked him about midway through the season

Eagles scout:

I really have no clue where Landry Jones goes in the Draft. So bad under pressure, so bad looking off defenders, but so physically talented

Curly Bill
1/19/2013, 07:49 PM
When last season ended, he slid way down.. Way down. I didn't realize how much until about the middle of this season..

Here is a Philly scouts response to me when I asked him about midway through the season

Eagles scout:

I really have no clue where Landry Jones goes in the Draft. So bad under pressure, so bad looking off defenders, but so physically talented

Well, I'll be damn! I could be an NFL scout, because that's what I, and admittedly many others here, have been saying for a good while now!

Socrefbek
1/20/2013, 11:44 AM
Well, I'll be damn! I could be an NFL scout, because that's what I, and admittedly many others here, have been saying for a good while now!

And that precisely sums up the average sooner fans frustration with Landry. So much talent physically, so little composure under pressure. Mind bogglingly stupid interceptions.

trwxxa
1/20/2013, 12:34 PM
I follow the Walterfootball website. I know there are a ton of websites, but this has some good info and is easy to navigate.

Here is their take on Demontre Hurst after the East-West Shrine week.

Hurst had a quality senior season and was part of a good cornerback tandem with Aaron Colvin. Even though Hurst didn't record an interception, he showed nice coverage ability with nine passes broken up and 59 tackles. He wasn't dominant, but he was consistently sound in coverage. The Sooners played Hurst in a lot of man coverage in 2012, so he is used to being on his own.

At the East-West Shrine, Hurst continued to show man coverage skills. He also did well in zone. He has plus flexibility to flip his hips and run with receivers. This performance should help him to be a mid-rounder.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/20/2013, 02:45 PM

Seahawks are visiting with Williams right now..

SoonerMom2
1/21/2013, 01:34 AM
Scouts need to look a Tress Way for the Baltimore Ravens -- their punter sucked!

swardboy
1/21/2013, 04:25 PM
STEP, watch my man from Joplin:

These things always feature a "Who the hell is THAT?" moment, and Monday's came when 6-foot, 1.7-inch Missouri Southern defensive tackle Brandon Williams tipped the scales at 341 pounds. Despite being more than an inch shorter than I am, Williams carries 341 pounds better than I would carry 241 pounds. His physique is an anomaly even to the hardened scouts who study the masculine form like Leonardo when he drew the Vitruvian Man. Williams looks as if someone took a safety and inflated him to comic-book proportions. He'll be an endless source of fascination during the next few months -- especially if he doesn't get blown up by the big-school offensive linemen during practices this week.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130121/senior-bowl-weigh-in/#ixzz2IeDLWn6A

kevpks
1/21/2013, 04:54 PM

Eagles scout:

Sounds like a good fit for the J E T S. Jets! Jets! Jets!

badger
2/18/2013, 12:34 PM
combine this week, right? can ya give us a preview, sooner and otherwise?

stoops the eternal pimp
2/18/2013, 01:20 PM
Sooner related, this week is about Lane Johnson..If he runs his 40 like I've seen him, he may project top 15...I think the only thing that could alter that is the teams at the top of this draft looking for tackles are power running teams..But he is definitely top 20 as of now.

Tom Wort's work will be interesting also.

Lots of people were looking forward to Barkley working but he will not make it as he is still recovering from injury.

Tavon Austin conversations are cracking me up...Everybody like him..Nobody knows what to do with him..

The DE/OLB group is going to be the talk of the week...Just some amazing athletes at this position.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/18/2013, 01:22 PM
Marquis Goodwin from texas ran a 4.28 40 a couple of weeks ago and said he can do better than that..After weeks of watching film, texas shot themselves in the foot by not getting the ball in this guy's hands.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/18/2013, 01:27 PM
Interviews are going to be huge this year...especially among the quarterbacks..

None of them(excluding Geno) have separated themselves and I would say there is still a 5-6 player traffic jam QBs..In this situation were film, Senior Bowl, and workouts will all look about the same, Interviews are the tiebreaker.

badger
2/18/2013, 02:08 PM
Have you seen the new Wonderlic replacement test that's been reported about? If so, can you give us an idea of what type of questions are going to be asked and why it is supposedly better than the Wonderlic for football players?

stoops the eternal pimp
2/18/2013, 10:51 PM
I'll just post it in this thread.. Congrats to former Sooner Alonzo Dotson in becoming a scout for the Packers.

badger
2/19/2013, 10:38 AM
I'll just post it in this thread.. Congrats to former Sooner Alonzo Dotson in becoming a scout for the Packers.

Any chance that the Packers draft any Sooners now? :D

stoops the eternal pimp
2/20/2013, 10:22 AM
Badger,

To follow up on your question about the new test, I have a copy of it somewhere..Just have to find it.

Whatever it is, it's nothing like the 300 question test that the Giants passed out to all participants the last year I went..It involved questions like "If you were cold, would you put on a jacket or a scarf?"..That was an actual question.

badger
2/20/2013, 12:39 PM
Badger,

To follow up on your question about the new test, I have a copy of it somewhere..Just have to find it.

Whatever it is, it's nothing like the 300 question test that the Giants passed out to all participants the last year I went..It involved questions like "If you were cold, would you put on a jacket or a scarf?"..That was an actual question.

Interesting question (no, not being sarcastic). Is there just a "yes" and "no" box to check, or is it one of those make-you-think questions?

"Yes, as I would be foolish to not use the resources available to be to best serve my team and organization."

"Yes, unless my teammate or coach needed them more than I would, in which case I would immediately give them to the teammate or coach."

"No, because I have been hardened to be able to withstand any weather conditions through this physical, demanding game known as football, and will be ready to play whether we are in a freezing outdoor stadium or a freezing indoor stadium that has a defunct heating system."

Or is there a "jacket" and "scarf" check box :D

stoops the eternal pimp
2/20/2013, 12:56 PM
No check boxes..

And those are also the kind of questions sometimes asked in the interview sessions, which I wish I could sit on..Especially with Te'o.

Sessions last about 15 minutes...In that 15 minutes, they all do it differently(guy for the packers is known to open up with nonsense questions to throw them off since they are trained on how to do interviews) but, usually it's hardcore grill time..If you utter an "uh" or slow in your response, they will get all over your business..

badger
2/20/2013, 01:00 PM
Sooo... can you give us more example questions of the Wonderlic-replacement test and/or player interview questions, or is that too much insider info :)

stoops the eternal pimp
2/20/2013, 01:22 PM
Player interview questions are from person to person..Al Davis wanted to know if they folded their toilet paper or crumbled it.

The NFL guys are going through Te'os entire life and have interviewed teachers, friends, basically anyone who has met him.

I know some of the questions that he will be asked and almost all of them center around trust..How can your teammates trust you?Many believe his horrible NC game performance was because he was distracted by the situation, so they are going to ask how can we trust you to make a play when things are bad off the field..Can you make the play when your teammates are making fun of you in the locker room?..

Mjcpr
2/20/2013, 01:35 PM
Sir, we need exact questions, none of your speculation, conjecture and guesses.

badger
2/20/2013, 01:38 PM
Al Davis wanted to know if they folded their toilet paper or crumbled it.

With their first selection, Al Davis selects toilet-paper-folding wide receiver Darrius Heyward-Bey!

It all makes sense now.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/21/2013, 11:11 AM
TE and OL weigh in going on right now..

Lane Johnson is still 6'6 303..6'6 306 for Joeckel..Fluker from Alabama has lost 16 lbs since the Senior Bowl..355 to 339.

Dear lord, the TEs in this class are all about the same size...Ertz, 6'5 249, Eifert 6'5 260, Escobar 6'5 254

stoops the eternal pimp
2/21/2013, 11:21 AM
49ers gm said the team spent 170 hours putting together their draft board..They already know who they want and where.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/21/2013, 11:36 AM
Geeze...The Dolphins brought 55 people to the combine to scout players..The teams I went with usually brought 15 or so.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/21/2013, 12:11 PM
Name to remember..TE Gavin Escobar San Diego St..6'5 7/8, 254

stoops the eternal pimp
2/21/2013, 12:12 PM
The other interview I would love to sit in on..Tyrann Mathieu

starclassic tama
2/21/2013, 12:16 PM
where are the measurements online?

stoops the eternal pimp
2/21/2013, 01:03 PM
Not sure..I'll check a few places

stoops the eternal pimp
2/21/2013, 03:34 PM
Bits and pieces of what coaches/gms are saying today.

Chip Kelly said one player he would really likea chance to coach is EJ Manuel.

Chiefs and Reid are hinting that they want Foles from Philly, but they won't let him go..I think it's just some posturing going on. Reid just doesn't give away any information..Asked about Joeckel or Geno, he just says, " He is a good player." Reid is comparing this Chiefs team to the '99 eagles. Hilarious comment of the day. "I like the in house QBs we already have and feel like I can win with them."-Reid

Titans and 49ers have already met with Joeckel..Lions next

Referring back to interviews, Tyler Bray said things that he did in 7th grade are being brought up..These guys dig deep

Eagles feel like they have inside info on bama players because they have former Tide guys on the staff now. Kelly says he wants to start with his entire playbook and then scale it down based on personnel. Media loves him..He's already quoted Wedding Crashers.

badger
2/21/2013, 04:29 PM
Referring back to interviews, Tyler Bray said things that he did in 7th grade are being brought up..These guys dig deep

Is this just an NFL thing, or do scouts/GMs/owners do this much in all pro leagues?

stoops the eternal pimp
2/21/2013, 04:33 PM
Not sure about the others, but very common in the NFL...That's a lot of money to give to somebody you don't know anything about.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/22/2013, 09:54 AM
Watching some WV tape this morning looking at some Geno Smith stuff..Interesting, and I can't believe i didn't notice this in the games I watched, WV was run blocking on a lot of the passing plays..Especially against texas..like a run/pass option. Geno had a pretty high level of play calling.

BTW, listened to him talk yesterday..Highly intelligent guy.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/22/2013, 10:02 AM
Interesting, looked at Detroit's current depth chart and Ronnell Lewis is listed at starting DE

stoops the eternal pimp
2/22/2013, 10:02 AM
Greg Jennings people are at the combine and he is asking for a 14 mil/year deal...

badger
2/22/2013, 10:13 AM
Interesting, looked at Detroit's current depth chart and Ronnell Lewis is listed at starting DE

How do our other Sooner Lions look on the Detroit depth chart?

Greg Jennings people are at the combine and he is asking for a 14 mil/year deal...
With Wodgers Discount Doublecheck coming up for a new deal in a few years and Jennings injury issues, I fully expect him not to even get HALF of that... but I suppose that never stops agents from at least asking, right?

sooner_born_1960
2/22/2013, 10:14 AM
Watching some WV tape this morning looking at some Geno Smith stuff..Interesting, and I can't believe i didn't notice this in the games I watched, WV was run blocking on a lot of the passing plays..Especially against texas..like a run/pass option. Geno had a pretty high level of play calling.

BTW, listened to him talk yesterday..Highly intelligent guy.
Run blocking, as in, were down field?

stoops the eternal pimp
2/22/2013, 10:34 AM
Run blocking, as in, were down field?

No because it was all quick hit stuff...slants, etc.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/22/2013, 12:04 PM
The fact that Marquise Goodwin only touched the ball 39 times tells me everything i need to know about the Texas OC..Goodwin is an amazing athlete..

Mjcpr
2/22/2013, 12:09 PM
The fact that Marquise Goodwin only touched the ball 39 times tells me everything i need to know about the Texas OC..the guy is an amazing athlete..

Well that may very well be true but he sucks at getting the ball in the hands of his playmakers.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/22/2013, 12:13 PM
Well that may very well be true but he sucks at getting the ball in the hands of his playmakers.

fixed for you pumpkin..

Anyway, Goodwin was clocked at 4.28 a week ago and says he wants to break CJs record 4.24 time...And probably will have a top long jump also.

Mjcpr
2/22/2013, 12:16 PM
fixed for you pumpkin..

Anyway, Goodwin was clocked at 4.28 a week ago and says he wants to break CJs record 4.24 time...And probably will have a top long jump also.

What was Deion's time?

stoops the eternal pimp
2/22/2013, 12:40 PM
lots of stories about deion's time but it went down officially as a 4.28

StoopTroup
2/22/2013, 12:48 PM
What was Deion's time?

Deion had his own Time Zone. I met him in San Diego when The King and the Cowboys where there to punish the Chargers. I'm not sure how a person enters Deion's Time Zone but I always got the feeling that Micheal Irvin knew the backdoor to it.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/22/2013, 12:55 PM
Landry Jones he has been changing things in his throwing motion because he has had "loose stuff I didn't need to throw the ball."

Tayvon Austin said his favorite player is Wes Welker...Ironically, he could be the guy who replaces Welker at NE

stoops the eternal pimp
2/22/2013, 12:58 PM
Matt Barkley may be the most impressive speaking QB here..basically had the media eating out of his hands...

Speaking of media, some fool asked Barkley if he could do similar things outside of the pocket like Colin Kaepernick...Lets you know how much football these guys watch.

starclassic tama
2/22/2013, 01:02 PM
Matt Barkley may be the most impressive speaking QB here..basically had the media eating out of his hands...

Speaking of media, some fool asked Barkley if he could do similar things outside of the pocket like Colin Kaepernick...Lets you know how much football these guys watch.

at least they didn't ask geno smith that, i guess. hey you're black, obviously you are a mobile quarterback who can bring the zone read element to the team that drafts you right?

stoops the eternal pimp
2/22/2013, 02:42 PM
Honest to God..2 members of media asked Landry Jones if he can run the zone read and his zone option skills...He laughed

badger
2/22/2013, 02:49 PM
Honest to God..2 members of media asked Landry Jones if he can run the zone read and his zone option skills...He laughed
are these interviews online anywhere yet?

StoopTroup
2/22/2013, 02:51 PM
Seems like the media doesn't have any access to tape on these guys. It seems like they get sent a bunch of questions to ask from the folks who sent them there. I guess they then do a Hunter S. Thompson and raid the minibar smoke some ganja, hit the free bar and then head to the event to ask the questions that were texted to them....LOL

stoops the eternal pimp
2/22/2013, 03:04 PM
are these interviews online anywhere yet?

Not that I am aware of...

StoopTroup
2/22/2013, 03:10 PM
It's sad when you can't find anything on the web like that. It must be so bad that their Boss wouldn't allow them to post it...

stoops the eternal pimp
2/22/2013, 04:27 PM
28 reps for Lane Johnson today on the bench.

badger
2/22/2013, 04:31 PM
28 reps for Lane Johnson today on the bench.

Is there an official place to see all of the official measurements, or are they holding that info back till it gets broadcast on Neffel Network

stoops the eternal pimp
2/22/2013, 04:36 PM
I haven't found anything..NFL Network probably has a strangle hold on everyone...this time of year, i hate that network.

badger
2/22/2013, 05:15 PM
OK, i found em. You have to click on the button then hit "update results." nfl.com is apparently a very dumbly constructed site :D

http://www.nfl.com/combine/top-performers#year=2013&workout=BENCH_PRESS&position=QB-RB-WR-TE-S-DL-LB-CB-OL-SPEC

How dumb is this site?

*BIGGER NUMBER IS BETTER.

#facepalm

EDIT: Also, when you click a position button that de-clicks it, not clicks it. So if you want to see other positions besides OL, click the OL button

#doublefacepalm

StoopTroup
2/22/2013, 05:16 PM
I haven't found anything..NFL Network probably has a strangle hold on everyone...this time of year, i hate that network.

That sounds like the NFL I know.

Soonerjeepman
2/22/2013, 05:55 PM
and to the guy who said the Chiefs should sign Alex Smith, I would be happy with that...

I'd second that...or was I the first. ;-)

and yes Cassel sucks.

Have you seen the channel 4 commercial? it's funny...

cvsooner
2/22/2013, 05:56 PM
Lane Johnson did 28 225 lb. reps, Stoeckel and Fisher did 27. Damn you Schmitty!

Oh, wait.

Collier11
2/22/2013, 08:12 PM
I havent, I am very interested to see where the new leadership takes us

stoops the eternal pimp
2/22/2013, 08:57 PM
Andy Reid is so hilarious at the combine..He answers every question the same way and the new gm said there is possibly 333 players they are considering with the 1st pick.

Collier11
2/23/2013, 12:34 AM
If they can get a taker, I want my Chiefs to trade down to around the 8-12 range and pick Geno Smith. Maybe get an additional 3rd or 4th rder, I still think that is a little high for Geno but he would fit well with Reid IMO

badger
2/23/2013, 12:01 PM
Lol 40 yd lineman dashes on nfl network now. I feel faster, even thou i know theyre going about as fast as i can on a good day :)

OkieThunderLion
2/23/2013, 01:24 PM
Lane Johnson - 4.72 - would have been the fastest ever for a lineman at the Combine, but some guy from Pine Bluff ran a 4.71.

Collier11
2/23/2013, 03:07 PM
Lol 40 yd lineman dashes on nfl network now. I feel faster, even thou i know theyre going about as fast as i can on a good day :)

you cant run a 6.0 fourty

Mjcpr
2/23/2013, 04:23 PM
Lane Johnson - 4.72 - would have been the fastest ever for a lineman at the Combine, but some guy from Pine Bluff ran a 4.71.

I think someone ran a 4.65 today.

OkieThunderLion
2/23/2013, 06:06 PM
I think someone ran a 4.65 today.
The official number came out 4.71.

They simulcasted the two runs (him and Johnson) together. He edged him by a head.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/24/2013, 12:28 PM
WR times are suspect today but unofficial 4.28 for Stills today.. Struggling in drills.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/24/2013, 12:30 PM
Official at 4.38 for stills.. Definitely some issues today.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/24/2013, 12:33 PM
The Goodwin 4.27 and Austin 4.34 is weird. When they overlayed on video, they finished at the same time.

okiewaker
2/24/2013, 12:42 PM
I liked the last drill,,running north, or south, catching passes. One of the kids from Cinc looked the best to me, most natural with soft hands.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/24/2013, 12:44 PM
The difference between a 4.27 and a 4.34 at the 40-yard mark is 1.97 feet. That's down field separation.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/24/2013, 12:48 PM
I liked the last drill,,running north, or south, catching passes. One of the kids from Cinc looked the best to me, most natural with soft hands.

Gauntlet.. I agree.. Some of them are running half speed trying to Concentrate because of drops.

okiewaker
2/24/2013, 01:11 PM
D Robinson gotta LOT of work to do if he's going to play WO or Slot,,,, I don't like his hands,,very rarely caught the ball cleanly today. I know,,he's been a QB so he's behind but, I wouldn't draft him. IDK,,maybe a Randle El type. JMHO

okiewaker
2/24/2013, 01:20 PM
Wow,,Moe busting the 225 BP, got 26! Stills 16, not too bad.

OkieThunderLion
2/24/2013, 02:42 PM
Stills ran right what I thought (4.38).

I expect Jefferson to run 4.68.

EatLeadCommie
2/24/2013, 03:13 PM
If they can get a taker, I want my Chiefs to trade down to around the 8-12 range and pick Geno Smith. Maybe get an additional 3rd or 4th rder, I still think that is a little high for Geno but he would fit well with Reid IMO

I think they should trade down and get the best player they can for their offense, then take a QB in the 2nd round. Maybe Nassib out of Syracuse. Geno is really a big risk...a bigger risk than the last QB from WVU they took in the first round way back in the day (Blackledge).

EatLeadCommie
2/24/2013, 03:22 PM
oops, Blackledge went to PSU...always thought he went to WVU. Guess that was Hostetler.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/24/2013, 04:12 PM
oops, Blackledge went to PSU...always thought he went to WVU. Guess that was Hostetler.

Interesting enough, blackledge is the last QB they drafted to win a game for them.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/24/2013, 04:13 PM
After watching film and listening to him talk, I don't think Geno is that big of a risk..

I like Nassib, but he reminds me a lot of locker.. So kinda scary

okiewaker
2/24/2013, 05:42 PM
Check it,,,I meant the kid from Washington state had the soft hands and looked the most natural in his hand placement during then gauntlet drill. Anyway, him and Usuc kid fared well in that drill. IMHO

stoops the eternal pimp
2/24/2013, 05:49 PM
Check it,,,I meant the kid from Washington state had the soft hands and looked the most natural in his hand placement during then gauntlet drill. Anyway, him and Usuc kid fared well in that drill. IMHO

Woods and Wilson..Since Wilson didn't run a blazing 40, no one was talking about him, but his 6'2 200 lb frame and nice hands definitely had a good showing today..Same for Robert Woods.

8timechamps
2/24/2013, 05:54 PM
I would be a terrible RB scout. I think they all look good.

okiewaker
2/24/2013, 06:05 PM
I would be a terrible RB scout. I think they all look good.

I missed'em, will catch them the repeat show on right now. Looking forward to it. Anyone stand out?

8timechamps
2/24/2013, 06:22 PM
I missed'em, will catch them the repeat show on right now. Looking forward to it. Anyone stand out?

Like I said, I think they all look good. The kid from Auburn (He was the quickest) surprised me, and I really like Kenon Barner (from Oregon).

stoops the eternal pimp
2/24/2013, 07:14 PM
Just to let you know how far off the times were today...They unofficial'd McCalebb at 4.21...ran a 4.34 which was very impressive but still...My guess is the NFL Network is behind all of this mess today.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/24/2013, 07:15 PM
I like Barner for his pass catching ability out of the backfield..

Collier11
2/24/2013, 07:49 PM
Barner equals Sproles in the NFL?

stoops the eternal pimp
2/24/2013, 09:38 PM
Hmm... Somewhat..Sproles is a lot more compact and has been pretty durable while I think Barner's build is a little different..But could do a lot of the same things...Hopefully he can get to the right team like Sproles did so he can stick around.

starclassic tama
2/25/2013, 12:33 AM
I really wish someone would explain the stupid timing systems they use at the combine. Why is it so complicated with the unofficial and official times? Seems like it should be a simple laser device and as soon as the field is broken that determines the time. The latency on the laser would be so minimal it wouldn't matter...?

Salt City Sooner
2/25/2013, 01:23 AM
This could throw the draft in a bit of a tizz if it turns out to be legit:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2013/story/_/id/8981415/2013-nfl-draft-combine-star-lotulelei-heart-condition-work-monday-according-sources

stoops the eternal pimp
2/25/2013, 09:26 AM
It's true sadly...

starclassic tama
2/25/2013, 01:51 PM
well this margus hunt guy from SMU is what we like to refer to as a freak of nature..

6'8 277 4.60 38 reps on the bench

stoops the eternal pimp
2/25/2013, 02:24 PM
Yeah he is..I brought Hunt up a while back...6'8 and 38 reps?...That's insane numbers..

He is pretty raw as a pass rusher but he could be the next JPP who was really raw leaving college also.

swardboy
2/25/2013, 02:59 PM
I heard he's called the "Eastern Bloc" since he's from Europe.

badger
2/25/2013, 03:51 PM
Updated Sooner draft stocks after the Combine? Any guesses?

ouleaf
2/25/2013, 04:42 PM
Looks like Wort has put up pretty unimpressive measurables compared to other LBs today. I don't think McGee is working out.

Scott D
2/25/2013, 07:46 PM
Looks like Wort has put up pretty unimpressive measurables compared to other LBs today. I don't think McGee is working out.

so Wort should be on par with Te'o :)

Scott D
2/25/2013, 07:50 PM
ooh I finally have a question. Since apparently Sam Montgomery admitted the following statement. How low will this in conjunction with the poster by the LSU S&C coach drop his status?

“You know, some weeks when we didn’t have to play the harder teams, there were some times when effort was not needed,” he said.
“But when we had the big boys coming in — the Bamas or the South Carolinas — I grabbed close to those guys and went all-out.”

OkieThunderLion
2/25/2013, 09:04 PM
well this margus hunt guy from SMU is what we like to refer to as a freak of nature..

6'8 277 4.60 38 reps on the bench

Lane completely dominated him at the Senior Bowl. It was amazing.

I think Hunt would have made a great LT. Plays just a little too high for a DE.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/26/2013, 09:51 AM
Hunt is very raw...Heck he was dominated at times during some of the lower level games SMU played this season...his game film is lousy...But there are a lot of scouts that say he is their "bang the table" guy.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/26/2013, 09:59 AM
TJ runs a 4.62 and gets 16 reps at 225...nothing surprising

OkieThunderLion
2/26/2013, 10:50 AM
Stills ran right what I thought (4.38).

I expect Jefferson to run 4.68.

3 for 3!

stoops the eternal pimp
2/26/2013, 10:53 AM
the bad thing for Stills was he started off the receiving drills with drops so he went half speed through the rest to concentrate on catching the ball..That was brought up to me by several people.

Mjcpr
2/26/2013, 11:01 AM
the bad thing for Stills was he started off the receiving drills with drops so he went half speed through the rest to concentrate on catching the ball..That was brought up to me by several people.

He should've just showed him his game tape then, same thing.

ouleaf
2/26/2013, 12:17 PM
On the Margus Hunt talk that has been going on. Really impressive numbers put up at the combine. He definitely caught a lot of eyes and while I don't think it will so much improve his draft stock, it will at least get more teams interested an looking at him.

I saw some of his games at SMU being here in Dallas. I could see him as being a decent DE in a 3-4 scheme. Don't think he's gonna be a high sack total guy, but he'll get some numbers just on athleticism alone.

He also has a pretty good knack on special teams for blocking kicks. Another valuable skill to help himself earn a roster spot even if he doesn't start on defense.

swardboy
2/26/2013, 01:17 PM
My Missouri Southern guy, Brandon Williams, tied Hunt with 38 lifts. Yay.

He graded out a little over 73 which indicates a future starter who should put a few good years in the NFL.

OkieThunderLion
2/26/2013, 01:28 PM
Jefferson's official, 4.75. A tad slower than my guess. But still within the alloted threshold of patting myself on my back!

stoops the eternal pimp
2/26/2013, 04:26 PM
almost all of the unofficials can have .13 to .14 added to get the actual time..On everyone except Joseph Randle anyway..unofficial and official at 4.63

starclassic tama
2/26/2013, 04:30 PM
apparently jefferson tweaked his hamstring during his run. he will probably want to run again at his pro day. i didnt' expect a really fast time for him, but i did expect high 4.5s maybe. i think he plays faster than he runs the 40

OkieThunderLion
2/26/2013, 08:07 PM
almost all of the unofficials can have .13 to .14 added to get the actual time..On everyone except Joseph Randle anyway..unofficial and official at 4.63

I think both Swope and Lane Johnson got faster w/ their "officials".

OkieThunderLion
2/26/2013, 08:09 PM
apparently jefferson tweaked his hamstring during his run. he will probably want to run again at his pro day. i didnt' expect a really fast time for him, but i did expect high 4.5s maybe. i think he plays faster than he runs the 40
He's a great player. But has never ran faster than high 4.6s at OU.

aj44mc
2/27/2013, 04:57 PM
any body else notice this?
http://www.stlouisrams.com/media-center/videos/Combine-Oklahoma-DB-Tony-Jefferson-Presser/ffdc0ed6-1ae4-49b8-a4f2-1e8570666b2a

It says TJ but it is not TJ. I saw a pic somewhere on the draft site that was this same dude labeled TJ. Maybe his stats are wrong too.

StoopTroup
2/27/2013, 06:16 PM
He should've just showed him his game tape then, same thing.

Yep. It's why I think we need a WR Coach that can improve guys like him. I think Kenny was great in college but I never saw him improve much each year. We all wanted to see him become a superstar but it never really came about. He'll do OK in the NFL and Im sure he will have a few good plays but if he's going to become a high caliber WR he's going to really need some work.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/27/2013, 06:41 PM
Yep. It's why I think we need a WR Coach that can improve guys like him. I think Kenny was great in college but I never saw him improve much each year. We all wanted to see him become a superstar but it never really came about. He'll do OK in the NFL and Im sure he will have a few good plays but if he's going to become a high caliber WR he's going to really need some work.

But where do you find the guy who is proven to do that? The NFL? There probably aren't 8 WR coaches in college that have a lot of experience with developing high talent guys and making them better. For us, the best developer of WR has been SOS jr with the worst being Sumlin (who is the best head coach, go figure).

starclassic tama
2/27/2013, 09:54 PM
for all of you with netflix, there is a cool documentary called two days in april which documents the draft process for several guys. travis wilson and clint ingram are on there

Soonerjeepman
2/28/2013, 12:02 AM
well, looks like Smith to KC..Alex that is. hmmm, never knew his record BEFORE the last 2 yrs...not good. Ah well, we shall see.

Ruf/Nek7
2/28/2013, 12:19 PM
And now San Fran is attempting to sell the house for Revis. Would send a lot of draft picks to Jets.

Mjcpr
2/28/2013, 12:21 PM
And now San Fran is attempting to sell the house for Revis. Would send a lot of draft picks to Jets.

Well, they do have a lot of draft picks. I read somewhere that they have 15 in the upcoming draft.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/28/2013, 03:27 PM
15 picks and no way they will have 15 roster spots for rookies..

8timechamps
2/28/2013, 07:18 PM
Todd McShay released his updated big board after the combine and film study, Lane Johnson moved up to the #10 overall player.

Salt City Sooner
2/28/2013, 11:15 PM
FWIW, Charles Davis released his latest mock yesterday & he's got Lane going 4th to Philly. Mayock also said today that he expects all 3 OT's to go top 10.

stoops the eternal pimp
3/11/2013, 01:37 PM
One of the most intriguing trade baits gone.. Percy Harvin headed to Seattle for some draft picks pending physical..1st and 7th round this season and a mid round pick from 2014.

swardboy
3/11/2013, 02:26 PM
Harvin teamed with Russell Wilson could be a d-coordinator's nightmare.

stoops the eternal pimp
3/11/2013, 02:28 PM
Yeah, I was thinking of all the things you could do with Harvin and Wilson and it's a dangerous combo if Harvin can stay on the field..

CowboyMRW
3/14/2013, 08:32 AM

At the OSU Pro Day he was clocked at 4.51. Where do you see him going? I personally am hoping for Denver in the 4th.

stoops the eternal pimp
3/14/2013, 08:41 AM
I think Randle is gone by the late 3rd somewhere..Denver or Indy would be good places for him to land.

Eielson
3/24/2013, 01:31 AM
Justin Hunter measured at 6'4, ran a 4.4, had a 39.5 vertical (tied for highest), had the longest broad jump, and had over 1,000 yards receiving last year in the SEC. What am I missing? I haven't looked at a ton of different sites, but it appears that he is looked at as a 2nd rounder that may slip into the back of the first round. Looking at the numbers, I kept thinking AJ Green.

stoops the eternal pimp
3/26/2013, 12:28 PM
Justin Hunter measured at 6'4, ran a 4.4, had a 39.5 vertical (tied for highest), had the longest broad jump, and had over 1,000 yards receiving last year in the SEC. What am I missing? I haven't looked at a ton of different sites, but it appears that he is looked at as a 2nd rounder that may slip into the back of the first round. Looking at the numbers, I kept thinking AJ Green.

Here are some things that set him back:

Lack of Focus, not a hands catcher, some injury concerns, and hasn't learned to use his frame to his advantage.. Saw some small corners jam him up and he was unable to get open.

I think he could be a star if he nails down the small things.

badger
4/22/2013, 10:06 AM
STEP: I saw this headline this morning:

Are Jefferson and Stills really day three draft picks? (http://www.tulsaworld.com/blogs/post.aspx/Are_Jefferson_and_Stills_really_day_three_draft_pi cks/19963)

Soooo...are they? And if so, should day 3 draft picks leave college early?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
4/22/2013, 07:07 PM
STEP: I saw this headline this morning:

Are Jefferson and Stills really day three draft picks? (http://www.tulsaworld.com/blogs/post.aspx/Are_Jefferson_and_Stills_really_day_three_draft_pi cks/19963)

Soooo...are they? And if so, should day 3 draft picks leave college early?

They really need to put in the rule that they have for basketball about allowing you to go back to college foosball.

edit: as for your question: I said on the first page that Jefferson could slide a lot with a bad 40 time. Stills made his bed during the combine. Showing the NFL brass that you can only catch a pass at half speed will scare off even the Raiders.

badger
4/24/2013, 09:39 AM
They really need to put in the rule that they have for basketball about allowing you to go back to college foosball.

Are you referring to where a player can declare but not sign an agent and then return if his scouting report comes up very unsatisfactory?

They already allow players to get a prelim pro evaluation so that they know about where their stock stands if they declare pro.

I am not sure it would be entirely fair evaluation to go through the process without an agent running the "look at this guy" show. Pro days are entirely manufactured to make the player look better to scouts. Pro prospects sign endorsements early on to increase exposure (remember Dez in the "I Will" campaign before infamously dropping Under Armour after that nat'l campaign? His agent was not too happy). Agents also help coach players to say and do the right things during the Combine/Pro Day/Draft process. There was some running back from Miami who Drew Rosenhaus infamously told to answer his phone and pretend like he was talking to a team. Suddenly, the guy who was on the verge of falling out of the first round was getting drafted.

edit: as for your question: I said on the first page that Jefferson could slide a lot with a bad 40 time. Stills made his bed during the combine. Showing the NFL brass that you can only catch a pass at half speed will scare off even the Raiders.

Really too bad for them. Would have loved to have them back as Sooners next year if they were on thin ice with the NFL.

swardboy
4/25/2013, 07:31 PM
Eric Fisher goes to KC, Joeckel to Jacksonville. I hope Lane escapes Oakland.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
4/25/2013, 07:41 PM
Are you referring to where a player can declare but not sign an agent and then return if his scouting report comes up very unsatisfactory?

They already allow players to get a prelim pro evaluation so that they know about where their stock stands if they declare pro.

Yes but in basketball and baseball you can go through the draft and then come back. Not so in football.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
4/25/2013, 07:42 PM
holy crap, I never thought i'd say the Raiders made a good move, but Miami just reached so far their arms fell off.

Collier11
4/25/2013, 07:45 PM
Yes but in basketball and baseball you can go through the draft and then come back. Not so in football.

not in hoops, you have to withdraw before the draft

rock on sooner
4/25/2013, 07:48 PM

He did...gone to Philly

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
4/25/2013, 07:55 PM
not in hoops, you have to withdraw before the draft

I see where my confusion was:

Undrafted players who don't hire an agent are covered by what should be known as the Randolph Morris rule; he became a free agent because he was undrafted, and got a suspension for a number of games from the NCAA, but got to play again for Kentucky. And then he signed with the Knicks after Kentucky was knocked out of the NCAA tourney.

There was also someone else in the early 2000s who went through the draft, didn't sign and went back to college.

boomersooner28
4/25/2013, 08:02 PM
Just got home...missed Lane getting picked. Any video of it up yet?

OUcharlie
4/25/2013, 08:13 PM

I think Oakland is on the right track now with Reggie McKenzie at GM.......

Eielson
4/25/2013, 08:54 PM
No more excuses for Sam. The Rams fixed the defense last year, but have gone all out for the offense this year. Austin is gonna be dangerous. I wouldn't be surprised if they helped out even more at #22 with a guard (they might go safety, though).

Edit: with Warmack off the board at 10, I would be surprised if Cooper lasted until #22, so probably not a guard.

Eielson
4/25/2013, 09:02 PM
I think that might have been a really good trade. I was a little disappointed, but Warmack, Vaccaro, and Austin (probably the three most likely options) would have all been gone by #16, and I think the Rams front office started to suspect that.

Blue
4/25/2013, 09:03 PM
Drop that puke orange for some black and gold, Vaccaro. I'll take it. Who Dat!

salth2o
4/25/2013, 09:38 PM
Really tired of the manti teo talk. :yawn:

Eielson
4/25/2013, 09:43 PM
I was a little concerned that the Rams gave up that 2nd rounder (we got a star player, but it leaves a hole), but it appears they've just grabbed a late 3rd by trading down from #22 to #30. We'll see how the picks work out, but this maneuvering is looking beautiful at the moment. I love having Fisher and Shead leading this team.

Collier11
4/25/2013, 09:46 PM
I think Oakland is on the right track now with Reggie McKenzie at GM.......
thought their pick was typical Oakland, in love with a great athlete that has a ton of red flags

colleyvillesooner
4/25/2013, 10:47 PM
Like the cowboys pick. Move down to pick up a 3rd and draft good interior OL. not sexy but smart

ouleaf
4/25/2013, 10:53 PM
Like the cowboys pick. Move down to pick up a 3rd and draft good interior OL. not sexy but smart

Was kind of hoping they stayed at 18 and drafted the DT Shariff Floyd from Florida there instead. Guess this Frederick guy from Wisconsin should be their starting Center day one though. Better make the extra 3rd rounder count.

colleyvillesooner
4/25/2013, 11:16 PM
Yep. Word I saw on the net on Shariff was character and low sack total on college scared some teams. Time will tell.

Eielson
4/26/2013, 12:05 AM
STEP, what's up with the Cincinnati pick? They're not souring on Gresham, are they?

Sabanball
4/26/2013, 12:15 AM
Congrats on Johnson. He'll be a good one on sundays.

Prediction, fwiw: With the way the SEC is recruiting('13 was best ever) --within 5 yrs half or more of first round will be SEC players.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
4/26/2013, 12:59 AM
Congrats on Johnson. He'll be a good one on sundays.

Prediction, fwiw: With the way the SEC is recruiting('13 was best ever) --within 5 yrs half or more of first round will be SEC players.

For giggles, why don't you look at the recruiting rankings and see that most of these guys are all over the place. Out of the 1st 6 picks you have 2 four stars, a 3 star, a 2 star and 2 walkons (I can't even find Anseh's profile in 2003/4).

Here is Lane Johnson's high school profile -> http://texas.rivals.com/cviewplayer.asp?Player=420904

Yes there are a lot of 4 stars, but that is the top 200 players and they are scattered all over the country.

Salt City Sooner
4/26/2013, 01:03 AM
I see where my confusion was:

Undrafted players who don't hire an agent are covered by what should be known as the Randolph Morris rule; he became a free agent because he was undrafted, and got a suspension for a number of games from the NCAA, but got to play again for Kentucky. And then he signed with the Knicks after Kentucky was knocked out of the NCAA tourney.

There was also someone else in the early 2000s who went through the draft, didn't sign and went back to college.
Voshon Lenard did it back in the early-mid 90's.

Salt City Sooner
4/26/2013, 01:09 AM
STEP, what's up with the Cincinnati pick? They're not souring on Gresham, are they?
Think New England-lite. That also gives them 6-4 (Green), 6-5 (Gresh) & 6-6 (Eifert) to defend in the red zone, not to mention Sanu was starting to get it last year before he got hurt. Good luck defending that, esp. if they get a good complement to BJGE in the backfield, which is a good possibility (they have 2 2nd rd. picks thanks to the Palmer steal....I mean deal).

sooneron
4/26/2013, 08:48 AM
Just got home...missed Lane getting picked. Any video of it up yet?

I'm sure you've found something by now...

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/index.html

By the way, the Schmiddy haters should listen to what NFL coaches say about our player's abilities and training.

badger
4/26/2013, 08:53 AM
Really tired of the manti teo talk. :yawn:

I started calling him "manti tebow" by the end of the night. My guess is that you were watching ESPN and not NFL Network. I highly recommend you go "NFL Network" for days 2 and 3. You will see less green room reaction and 500 percent less Manti Teo talk.

badger
4/26/2013, 08:54 AM
Think New England-lite.

I tried to tell NP that, but reminded me that they hardly use "Jeremy Grish-ham" to begin with :(

Maybe they're about to trade him. Fingers crossed that it's to the Packers so we can finally dump that worthless first down sh!tty dance whorn Jermichael

badger
4/26/2013, 08:55 AM
With the way the SEC is recruiting('13 was best ever) --within 5 yrs half or more of first round will be SEC players.

False. There'll always be a Chippewa or another mid-major diamond in the rough that the big boys miss on that ends up standing out at his MAC-tacular college.

I wonder if TexAgs melted down after their guy went second instead of first :D

Bourbon St Sooner
4/26/2013, 09:18 AM
Drop that puke orange for some black and gold, Vaccaro. I'll take it. Who Dat!

Why was I never impressed with him? Maybe because we spent the last three years running wild through their secondary and dude can't tackle for ****. Oh well. It's got to be an upgrade from Roman Harper.

Bourbon St Sooner
4/26/2013, 09:20 AM
I started calling him "manti tebow" by the end of the night. My guess is that you were watching ESPN and not NFL Network. I highly recommend you go "NFL Network" for days 2 and 3. You will see less green room reaction and 500 percent less Manti Teo talk.

I watched nothing but NFL Network. That way I don't have to hear Kiper and I want to find out the pick when the Commish announces it, not when a dude gets a phone call in the green room.

badger
4/26/2013, 09:27 AM

Did someone give Jerry Jones sleeping pills pre-Draft so that he couldn't overreach for a flashy player? If so, boooooooo I prefer the Cowboys sucking :mad:

;)

Why was I never impressed with him? Maybe because we spent the last three years running wild through their secondary and dude can't tackle for ****. Oh well. It's got to be an upgrade from Roman Harper.

He'd probably look more impressive if he was on a team that was in contention for the Big 12, let alone the national title. Texas sucking makes all whorns look suckier :mack:

thought their pick was typical Oakland, in love with a great athlete that has a ton of red flags

RIP Al Davis, but with that in mind, what is Oakland's excuse for bad drafts now?

sooneron
4/26/2013, 09:55 AM
I watched nothing but NFL Network. That way I don't have to hear Kiper and I want to find out the pick when the Commish announces it, not when a dude gets a phone call in the green room.

Crap, I wish I had thought of that last night. ****ing Berman and Kiper and Gruden are a circle jerk of the worst kind.

badger
4/26/2013, 10:01 AM
Crap, I wish I had thought of that last night. ****ing Berman and Kiper and Gruden are a circle jerk of the worst kind.

I tuned in to ESPN when the Internet told me that Geno was crying. The NFL Network didn't really show any green room till a player was chosen. I also peeked at ESPN when I heard Kiper and Gruden were having a row. Both incidents were done by the time the Internet reported them. Ah well, I'm sure they're on youtube by now.

Otherwise, NFL Network was good coverage without the Kiper BS

badger
4/26/2013, 10:45 AM
Did anyone else hear that Geno plans to skip day 2 since he wasn't taken on day 1? If so, baaaad sign for whoever was planning to draft him. Probably better to pass him up till day 3?

cvsooner
4/26/2013, 11:11 AM
Yeah, apparently Geno went home after yesterday.

cvsooner
4/26/2013, 11:14 AM
I thought this comment from Stoops re: Lane Johnson was interesting: "Coach Kittle and Coach Patton did a tremendous job of quickly acclimating him to compete at a high level, while Coach Schmidt and our strength staff did an outstanding job of accelerating his physical development."

While I'm sure he means it in all sincerity, it also comes off with a slight 'up yours' to the people who wanted Kittle/Patton gone, and still pick on Schmitty. Patton and Kittle were such lousy coaches that...oh, yeah, the QB they were given winds up being the fourth pick in the NFL draft.

I know the big knock against Patton and Kittle was recruiting, but there's a certain vindication there too.

colleyvillesooner
4/26/2013, 11:52 AM
Yeah, apparently Geno went home after yesterday.

Looks like someone talked some sense into him and he's staying. Good move.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2013/04/26/quarterback-geno-smith-stays-for-second-round-nfl-draft/2115395/

West Virginia quarterback Geno Smith has changed his mind and will remain in New York for the broadcast of the second and third rounds of the NFL draft Friday, according to a person informed of Smith's plans.

The person, who spoke to USA TODAY Sports on condition of anonymity because Smith hasn't made any public statements, said Smith's family had to change their flights and add another night of hotel reservations.

In other words, he didn't expect to have to stay longer than Thursday's first round.

Smith told ESPN's Suzy Kolber he was leaving town right before he left Radio City Music Hall Thursday night. The player some expected to be selected in the top 10 sat through the first round, was caught by cameras loosening his tie and watched Florida State's E.J. Manuel go to the Buffalo Bills with the 16th pick.

However, Smith was apparently gracious about the situation.

"Geno was one of the first guys who came over to me and gave me a hug. That definitely says a lot about Geno's character,'' Manuel said. "Whatever team gets him, I'm looking forward to it.''

Smith got some encouragement from Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers on Twitter.

"Hang in there Geno, 'good things come to those who wait' - Paul Tagliabue," Rodgers wrote, referring to the former NFL commissioner's encouraging words to him when he tumbled to the back end of the first round in 2005.

Rodgers unsuccessfully tried to hide his disappointment that day because cameras were in his face. Smith won't have to worry about that. Following the uncomfortable shots of Rodgers, the NFL has limited the shots of the draft-day green room so that players who hadn't yet been picked wouldn't be broadcast with stressful looks on their face.

badger
4/26/2013, 12:10 PM
the NFL has limited the shots of the draft-day green room so that players who hadn't yet been picked wouldn't be broadcast with stressful looks on their face.

have they for both espn and nfl network, or just nfl network? seems like everytime i flipped to espn they were showing geno or someone else who hadn't been taken yet. nfl network barely showed the green room guys at all (till they were picked)

Salt City Sooner
4/26/2013, 12:51 PM
I tried to tell NP that, but reminded me that they hardly use "Jeremy Grish-ham" to begin with :(

Maybe they're about to trade him. Fingers crossed that it's to the Packers so we can finally dump that worthless first down sh!tty dance whorn Jermichael
JG's been their #2 receiver the last 2 years behind A.J. Green, no crime in trailing that guy. He's also been to the Pro Bowl both years (granted, both as an alternate), so yeah they've been using him. What they haven't been able to do to this point is consistently get him loose on those intermediate/deep seam routes that we saw here. His APC has been going up since they let Bratkowski leave in favor of Gruden, so hopefully that will continue.

rock on sooner
4/26/2013, 04:09 PM
Hey, Badg, ESPN is reporting that Aaron Rodgers is now the richest
man in the NFL....what say you?

badger
4/26/2013, 04:37 PM
Hey, Badg, ESPN is reporting that Aaron Rodgers is now the richest
man in the NFL....what say you?

I am very happy that my favorite team has the best quarterback in the league. However, the ballooning salaries at the QB position is not a trend I'm very happy about. Perhaps there needs to be a second layer to the NFL salary cap --- a cap for the entire team, and a cap for what percentage of it can be paid to a single player. This would be similar to "the maximum" that newb free agents can sign for in the NBA (25 percent of the salary cap, which is what Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook both signed for with OKC in the last few years). In the NFL, it could be 1/8 or 1/10 of total team salary cap for a single player.

I also hope that the Packers find a serviceable backup to Wodgers Discount Doublecheck during the next few draft days. I'd be fine with Geno, Barkley or even Landry. Pretty much everyone available would be better than ex-Techer Graham Harrell.