PDA

View Full Version : Dual threat QBs, fad or here-to-stay?

8timechamps
1/15/2013, 06:18 PM
DT QBs have always been present in college football, but until recently, not in the NFL. Is this a change in the game that's going to stay, or a temporary thing that's eventually going to fade away?

olevetonahill
1/15/2013, 06:32 PM
Got no clue about the Pros
But MHO is IF the QB is a threat to Run the ball. Then it takes a defender to stay close, reducing the number of D players available to defend the other O players.

freshchris05
1/15/2013, 08:25 PM
I think the development of these "DT" QBs is what sets them apart from previous generations. Kids are learning the position earlier. The option and the pitch sweep aren't the deep threat they once were.

goingoneight
1/15/2013, 09:54 PM
If dual-threat QBs can learn how to execute a base offense and not rely solely on their ability to run the ball, they stick. RG3's knees will carry Washington until they are no more is the risk. Same for any other RG3 type. Any player risks injury... but no single player is more important to an NFL team's success than their QB. It's Russian Roulette. Sure, someone will probably win a Super Bowl and the fad will continue to grow... but it's only a matter of time before the dual-threat guys are told to GTF down and slide like every other QB.

rock on sooner
1/15/2013, 10:05 PM
If dual-threat QBs can learn how to execute a base offense and not rely solely on their ability to run the ball, they stick. RG3's knees will carry Washington until they are no more is the risk. Same for any other RG3 type. Any player risks injury... but no single player is more important to an NFL team's success than their QB. It's Russian Roulette. Sure, someone will probably win a Super Bowl and the fad will continue to grow... but it's only a matter of time before the dual-threat guys are told to GTF down and slide like every other QB.

I'm thinking that RG3 already knows to get down...every running QB or
scrambling QB (Thiesman) eventually pays the price in the NFL...too
many hostile, agile and mobile 250# backers that do major damage.

Vick has been hurt, RG3, Kampernick (sp?) is just a matter of time...
different story in college, at least for a while. When ya get to the pros
every player on the opposing team is the best of the best and discretion
is the better part of valor, imo....

yermom
1/16/2013, 09:13 AM
just going to need to have more backups that are like that. i'm sure there are mobile QBs around that are WRs or not on a roster somewhere that are just waiting for a chance after Colin gets Kaepernicked

badger
1/16/2013, 09:19 AM
The most successful ones are ones that don't rely on either too strongly, but do whichever when necessary (a la Aaron Rodgers, who can throw a long bomb to the endzone on third and short, or run for a first down, even if the marker is 20 yards away).

If they rely too much on scrambling, they'll get hit a lot and have a short career like the running backs they're trying to impersonate.

If they rely too much on passing, there's always the risk that they'll have nothing to fall back on when their offensive line gets sh!tty, or they have a lingering injury issue that won't go away (David Carr in Houston, Peyton Manning's neck, etc)

jkjsooner
1/16/2013, 09:34 AM
It's more prevelant today but there has always been dual threat QB's in the NFL. Randall Cunningham and Fran Tarkenton come to mind.

I think the big difference is the prevalence of passing offenses in high school and the absence of option teams. Back in the old days a guy with the ability to run was often stuck in an option offense where he didn't get to develop his passing skills.

I wonder if the future isn't heading towards Tim Tebow type QB's who can actually throw. These guys can run and take hits so longevity isn't as much of an issue.

cleller
1/16/2013, 10:50 AM
I keep getting an image of Manning's last interception when he was forced out of the pocket, vs Colin Kaepernick.

yermom
1/16/2013, 10:58 AM
no love for "Kaepernicked"?

c'mon...

stoops the eternal pimp
1/16/2013, 12:10 PM
Fad, purely for financial reasons.

LakeRat
1/17/2013, 11:16 AM
I voted mac and cheese. It depends on what is available in the college ranks. If I have the option between Brady, Manning, or big Ben, vs. RG3, Kap, or Cam, I am going to which ever is available in the draft. I can win with any of those 6.

TUSooner
1/17/2013, 11:21 AM
no love for "Kaepernicked"?

c'mon...

I'm still trying to convince myself that you actually wrote it. :glee:

TUSooner
1/17/2013, 11:26 AM
Depends on what you mean by "dual threat".
A running QB who has to learn to pass (Tebow as the archetype) = not a good bet.
A "passing" QB who can use his running ability to save a play (Rodgers as the archetype thus far) == winner !! I think when you start calling a lot of plays where the QB is supposed to run, you start to get in trouble. NFL defenses will catch up to that, and after the QB takes a few big hits, it's time to go to Plan B and probably a new QB as well.

KantoSooner
1/17/2013, 12:11 PM
I'm thinking we might see an answer to this question on our own team this next fall. If Bell can start connecting on his throws, we might just as well go a pro set and let opposing DC's start chewing their Rolaids.

LakeRat
1/17/2013, 04:59 PM
Depends on what you mean by "dual threat".
A running QB who has to learn to pass (Tebow as the archetype) = not a good bet.
A "passing" QB who can use his running ability to save a play (Rodgers as the archetype thus far) == winner !! I think when you start calling a lot of plays where the QB is supposed to run, you start to get in trouble. NFL defenses will catch up to that, and after the QB takes a few big hits, it's time to go to Plan B and probably a new QB as well.

What is Tebow's second threat?!?!? Punt protector????