PDA

View Full Version : Driver realizes GPS is wrong on directions...after 900 miles

TitoMorelli
1/15/2013, 06:06 PM
Woman drives 900 miles out of her way after GPS error

Put too much faith in technology and you may wind up in Croatia. A 67-year-old woman from Belgium learned that the hard way after she followed (faulty) directions from her GPS device.

The woman only wanted to go about 90 miles from her hometown of Hainault Erquelinnes, Belgium, to pick up a friend at the Brussels train station. Her GPS device sent her about 900 miles to the south before (during the second day of driving) she realized that something was amiss. It's unclear if she entered the address incorrectly or if the GPS was faulty.

Discovery explains that the driver, Sabine Moreau, stopped twice for gas, slept on the side of the road, and "even suffered a minor car accident" along the way. She told El Mundo that she wasn't paying attention.

I was distracted, so I kept driving. I saw all kinds of traffic signs, first in French, then German and finally in Croatian, but I kept driving because I was distracted. Suddenly I appeared in Zagreb and I realized I wasn't in Belgium anymore.

The lesson here: If you start seeing road signs in (multiple) foreign languages, pull over. You're probably going the wrong way.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/woman-drives-900-miles-gps-error-181605523.html;_ylt=Aoeet3z_DbMgM4Rx9T_ZWoWZCMZ_;_ ylu=X3oDMTRrYW91OXFvBG1pdANCbG9nIFNwZWFybWludCBPcm lnaW5hbCBMaXN0BHBrZwMxMmU3ZDMwMy01N2YyLTNhMTQtODQz My1lODMyNzlhY2M5MjYEcG9zAzEEc2VjA01lZGlhQkxpc3RNaX hlZExQQ0FUZW1wBHZlcgMyMDJiNjAxMC01ZjQyLTExZTItYWU2 Yi1mODViOGNhMTc2ZTk-;_ylg=X3oDMTMzbjAxaWs5BGludGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRw c3RhaWQDMWZkMmNiNmYtODk5ZC0zNjBhLTk3NDUtNTAyNzdjMD U4YTIzBHBzdGNhdANibG9nc3x0aGVsb29rb3V0BHB0A3N0b3J5 cGFnZQ--;_ylv=3

Lott's Bandana
1/15/2013, 06:12 PM
SicEm reference in 3...2...1...

olevetonahill
1/15/2013, 06:13 PM
SicEm reference in 3...2...1...

My 1st thot.
Sic em is this yer Mama?

8timechamps
1/15/2013, 06:22 PM
A few years back, I was driving with my brother (from California to Colorado), and we wanted to stop in Vegas on the way. He set his (newly acquired) Garmin, and off we went. Fast forward to ten o'clock that night, we're sitting on the shoulder near someplace called "Devil's Gulch" Nevada. Somewhere along the way, he touched the touch screen in the wrong place and re-routed us. That was the first/last time I ever trusted a GPS with no back-up.

olevetonahill
1/15/2013, 06:29 PM
A few years back, I was driving with my brother (from California to Colorado), and we wanted to stop in Vegas on the way. He set his (newly acquired) Garmin, and off we went. Fast forward to ten o'clock that night, we're sitting on the shoulder near someplace called "Devil's Gulch" Nevada. Somewhere along the way, he touched the touch screen in the wrong place and re-routed us. That was the first/last time I ever trusted a GPS with no back-up.

I have Never used one. Dont see the need for one
Hell I have always been able to get to where Im going with out one
Guess they might be ok Out in Strange rural areas or Cities you've never been in. But still cant see the Big deal.

8timechamps
1/15/2013, 06:34 PM
Guess they might be ok Out in Strange rural areas or Cities you've never been in. But still cant see the Big deal.

I have the gps that came with my car, and it comes in handy if I'm going to an address I haven't been to. It also tells me if there is a speed-camera at the stoplights, and the speed limit wherever I am. It's more of a cool gadget than a must have device.

My kids like it on road trips because it shows how much further we have to go...and I don't have to hear the "how much longer?" the entire way.

olevetonahill
1/15/2013, 06:44 PM
I have the gps that came with my car, and it comes in handy if I'm going to an address I haven't been to. It also tells me if there is a speed-camera at the stoplights, and the speed limit wherever I am. It's more of a cool gadget than a must have device.

My kids like it on road trips because it shows how much further we have to go...and I don't have to hear the "how much longer?" the entire way.

I can see where in a very few instances they come in handy, Ive only ever been with my Son when he used his Both times It cost him TIME and extra miles by relying on it too much.

sanantoniosooner
1/15/2013, 07:11 PM
The one on my phone is awesome.

yermom
1/15/2013, 07:19 PM
i've used an iPhone to get basically from LA to Tallahassee and all over in between. i've also got a real atlas i keep in the car.

most of the turn by turn devices bug the **** out of me

olevetonahill
1/15/2013, 07:30 PM
Title said "driver", but you knew it was a woman.

Sicem is NOT a woman, He just dresses funny

SicEmBaylor
1/15/2013, 07:40 PM
Maybe it was overcast!

olevetonahill
1/15/2013, 07:42 PM
Maybe it was overcast!

:very_drunk::excitement::very_drunk:

rock on sooner
1/15/2013, 07:44 PM

Bot one in '08 to go on vacation to Florida from Iowa. Dayum thing werked
really good, so no arguments here, course I aint left IA since....

olevetonahill
1/15/2013, 08:03 PM
Bot one in '08 to go on vacation to Florida from Iowa. Dayum thing werked
really good, so no arguments here, course I aint left IA since....

I have traveled all over the south east/west / north west up into the n/e.
Never needed one. One time I could have used on to get to the address I was going but other than that I was close enough to get there with a tad of help.

8timechamps
1/15/2013, 09:28 PM
i've used an iPhone to get basically from LA to Tallahassee and all over in between. i've also got a real atlas i keep in the car.

most of the turn by turn devices bug the **** out of me

I was in New York last summer, and rented a car to drive from NYC to Cooperstown, they didn't have a GPS in the car so I used my phone and Google Maps/Navigator. It worked fine, but I was worried the whole way I was going to end up lost and be raped.

SoonerStormchaser
1/15/2013, 10:38 PM
And this is why I still have a job in the USAF as a Navigator!!!

olevetonahill
1/15/2013, 10:44 PM
And this is why I still have a job in the USAF as a Navigator!!!

Cause you can read Stars and Sextants and shat HUH?

Turd_Ferguson
1/15/2013, 11:03 PM
Sextants

Gross...

Lott's Bandana
1/15/2013, 11:03 PM
Cause you can read Stars and Sextants and shat HUH?

I can!

BajaOklahoma
1/15/2013, 11:05 PM
She needs to surrender her license if she can be distracted for 900 miles.

olevetonahill
1/15/2013, 11:53 PM
I can!

Why in hell Ya need to do that shat on a Sub?

olevetonahill
1/15/2013, 11:53 PM
She needs to surrender her license if she can be distracted for 900 miles.

Shes a woman , what ya expect. I bet she cant get lost going to the kitchen to make me a sammich.:welcoming:

diverdog
1/16/2013, 07:51 AM
I have traveled all over the south east/west / north west up into the n/e.
Never needed one. One time I could have used on to get to the address I was going but other than that I was close enough to get there with a tad of help.

Finding places in cities is a nice feature. However if you are going on a long trip you need a map and you better know where you are going. For instance when I go see my sis in NC the GPS wants to take me 100 miles out of my way.

olevetonahill
1/16/2013, 08:40 AM
Finding places in cities is a nice feature. However if you are going on a long trip you need a map and you better know where you are going. For instance when I go see my sis in NC the GPS wants to take me 100 miles out of my way.

I got a friend who lives in Ga. just outside Atlanta been to his house twice last time was maybe 15 years ago. Bet I could drive real close with out ever lookin at a map.

GPS is a Fine thing I guess I just dont see ME ever needin one

yermom
1/16/2013, 09:14 AM
it is nice to see traffic info sometimes

olevetonahill
1/16/2013, 09:27 AM
it is nice to see traffic info sometimes

Like I said bro I dont see ME ever havin much use for one But to each their own

Lott's Bandana
1/16/2013, 09:36 AM
Why in hell Ya need to do that shat on a Sub?

I wondered the same thing, but we had a beautiful brass sextant that I gave training on to my peeps. I also taught Celestial Navigation to my NROTC students in Tallahassee...but they eventually dropped that from the curriculum.

sanantoniosooner
1/16/2013, 09:54 AM
Restaurants, gas stations, traffic jams, and specific businesses....all easily identified on a gps.

Fishermen use them to mark locations.

Let's force vet to use one!

cleller
1/16/2013, 10:00 AM
So, a GPS can tell you if there is a traffic jam ahead, in current time?

For me its easier to use a map than to BUY, then deal with a GPS.

olevetonahill
1/16/2013, 10:06 AM
Restaurants, gas stations, traffic jams, and specific businesses....all easily identified on a gps.

I aint fished much in years. Dont need to find a Business That I dont already Know where it is.Gas stations are everywhere.
Come on over we drank some OVJ chase it with natty and talk about this Force thing.:victorious:

sanantoniosooner
1/16/2013, 10:11 AM
So, a GPS can tell you if there is a traffic jam ahead, in current. ime?

For me its easier to use a map than to BUY, then deal with a GPS.

I didn't buy one. I use my smart phone. Mine can show me slow traffic and stopped traffic. I learned the hard way to listen to it.

olevetonahill
1/16/2013, 10:14 AM
I didn't buy one. I use my smart phone. Mine can show me slow traffic and stopped traffic. I learned the hard way to listen to it.

I aint got one of those either, Just another toy I dont see much need of.

Mjcpr
1/16/2013, 11:34 AM
Everything new sucks!

http://controllerpunch.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/abe_simpson.gif

olevetonahill
1/16/2013, 11:35 AM
I wouldnt say that. I just dont see where I need either of those items

yermom
1/16/2013, 12:16 PM

i was building them for that back in the '90s. took them a long time to make it into everyone's pocket. back then it was on boats, in planes and by the military, only they had limits for the accuracy back then, it seems they have lifted that since

Lott's Bandana
1/16/2013, 12:38 PM
i was building them for that back in the '90s. took them a long time to make it into everyone's pocket. back then it was on boats, in planes and by the military, only they had limits for the accuracy back then, it seems they have lifted that since

The limits were removed about 10 or so years ago. There was a 15m inaccuracy in commercial units until the Defense Department relaxed that restriction. 15 meters is pretty significant when you're fishing or driving a car.

What a lot of people don't realize is...the US can turn off GPS for everyone except our own military, anytime they want. That is why the Euros are now launching their own satellites to create their own separate network. I expect the Chinese to do the same sometime soon.

sanantoniosooner
1/16/2013, 05:44 PM
I wouldnt say that. I just dont see where I need either of those items
My need for cutting edge technology will probably diminish in my twilight years too. :D

KantoSooner
1/16/2013, 06:01 PM
I go visit a lot of customers in weird locations. So I use it for final approach type guidance (the iphone one). Most of the rest is pretty much too easy to need any guide. Tulsa to San Antonio? I can pretty much do that routing without GPS.

SicEmBaylor
1/16/2013, 06:14 PM
I go visit a lot of customers in weird locations. So I use it for final approach type guidance (the iphone one). Most of the rest is pretty much too easy to need any guide. Tulsa to San Antonio? I can pretty much do that routing without GPS.

I should hope so.

Muskogee Turnpike to 69-S
69s/75s to I-35S East
Merge onto I-35 S. in Hillsboro
Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.

There's nothing easier than Tulsa to San Antonio.

olevetonahill
1/16/2013, 07:59 PM
I should hope so.

Muskogee Turnpike to 69-S
69s/75s to I-35S East
Merge onto I-35 S. in Hillsboro
Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.

There's nothing easier than Tulsa to San Antonio.

Unless its Overcast, Right?

diverdog
1/16/2013, 08:10 PM

They are great for offshore fishing. I have every wreck in this area marked as well as the 100 fathom lines.

pphilfran
1/16/2013, 08:27 PM
They are great for offshore fishing. I have every wreck in this area marked as well as the 100 fathom lines.I have one on my small fishing boat...(14', all electric, front and rear Minn Kota to meet Refuge regs)...find those soured corn baited holes with ease...

SicEmBaylor
1/16/2013, 10:30 PM
Unless its Overcast, Right?

:D

In all seriousness, I wasn't driving that day -- I was the passenger. I just wasn't paying attention as we were engrossed in a very titillating political discussion and excited about wining and dining with Neal Boortz.

I actually have a very good sense of direction and am very good at reading a map. I've never been truly lost, and I have only been moderately lost a handful of times.

That was just a bad bad day. :D

olevetonahill
1/17/2013, 12:03 AM
:D

In all seriousness, I wasn't driving that day -- I was the passenger. I just wasn't paying attention as we were engrossed in a very titillating political discussion and excited about wining and dining with Neal Boortz.

I actually have a very good sense of direction and am very good at reading a map. I've never been truly lost, and I have only been moderately lost a handful of times.

That was just a bad bad day. :D

Uh hum, Sure. Thats yer story aint it.

KantoSooner
1/17/2013, 09:42 AM
Hmm, this is a story I am not familiar with AND it seems to offer a chance for you, Vet, to tell a story AND for SicEm to be moderately abashed.

What are you waiting for?

olevetonahill
1/17/2013, 12:56 PM
Hmm, this is a story I am not familiar with AND it seems to offer a chance for you, Vet, to tell a story AND for SicEm to be moderately abashed.

Hell it may be in the archives, I dont remember all the details. but Sic and a friend were leaving Waco and possed to go EAST to someplace. wound up out in west Saxet somewhere. He blames it on being Overcast and them all excited about politics. I figure it was just a Tweedledee, Tweedledum Road trip.

TheHumanAlphabet
1/17/2013, 02:23 PM
OKay, where is the common sense and a sense of geography??? I know she is 67, but come on...

SicEmBaylor
1/17/2013, 04:26 PM

A friend of mine and I had a convention to go to in Houston for a political organization we both were members of at Baylor. Getting to Houston from Waco is absolutely not the least bit difficult. He was driving but we were talking and I noticed he turned a different way on HW-6 in Waco from the direction I know Houston to be in. I didn't mention it because he's actually from the area, and I figured he knew a better way to get to Houston.

At any rate, we're in a pretty long and deep conversation and the next thing I realize is that we had been driving for almost 4 hours and were still not in Hearne where we planned to stop and eat at the Dixie Cafe as per tradition.

Not long after this realization, we see an exit sign for Abilene. Long story short -- we drove west for hours instead of east and ended up in Abilene instead of Houston. The 'overcast' comment has to do with someone asking me why I didn't notice the sun in relation to the direction we were travelling and I pointed out that it was overcast.

It ended up taking us like 9 hours to get to Houston from Waco. We missed the intro reception. =(

olevetonahill
1/17/2013, 04:31 PM
A friend of mine and I had a convention to go to in Houston for a political organized we both were members of at Baylor. Getting to Houston from Waco is absolutely not the least bit difficult. He was driving but we were talking and I noticed he turned a different way on HW-6 in Waco from the direction I know Houston to be in. I didn't mention it because he's actually from the area, and I figured he knew a better way to get to Houston.

At any rate, we're in a pretty long and deep conversation and the next thing I realize is that we had been driving for almost 4 hours and were still not in Hearne where we planned to stop and eat at the Dixie Cafe as per tradition.

Not long after this realization, we see an exit sign for Abilene. Long story short -- we drove west for hours instead of east and ended up in Abilene instead of Houston. The 'overcast' comment has to do with someone asking me why I didn't notice the sun in relation to the direction we were travelling and I pointed out that it was overcast.

It ended up taking us like 9 hours to get to Houston from Waco. We missed the intro reception. =(

Like I said, Tweedledee/Tweedledum :highly_amused:

Lott's Bandana
1/17/2013, 09:23 PM
A friend of mine and I had a convention to go to in Houston for a political organization we both were members of at Baylor. Getting to Houston from Waco is absolutely not the least bit difficult. He was driving but we were talking and I noticed he turned a different way on HW-6 in Waco from the direction I know Houston to be in. I didn't mention it because he's actually from the area, and I figured he knew a better way to get to Houston.

This story never ever gets old.

Spektacular.

olevetonahill
1/17/2013, 09:48 PM
This story never ever gets old.

Spektacular.

I like the one where a Biker tried to kick his azz

SicEmBaylor
1/17/2013, 10:08 PM
I like the one where a Biker tried to kick his azz
I like the fact you put "tried" in there. ;)

olevetonahill
1/17/2013, 10:25 PM
I like the fact you put "tried" in there. ;)

Best I can member is you started crying an rollin on the ground and the dude was too busy LOL at ya.:eagerness:

Lott's Bandana
1/18/2013, 12:21 AM
Best
Halloween
Costume

Evar.