PDA

View Full Version : Trey Metoyer

Spray
1/15/2013, 09:44 AM
With the new crop of WRs seeming set and Stills heading on to the NFL I've read all the buzz about next year. One name I haven't seen mentioned was Metoyer's and where he fits in. After last Spring, he seemed to be the guy everyone was anticipating being the next big OU star WR. I did see an article about how Justin Brown and Jalen Saunders arrivals affected his playing time- that makes perfect sense and might have been a blessing in disguise for his development.

Anywhoo, being in VA I don;t get the "local" news, so my question is where Metoyer currently stands in his development and what we might expect from him next year and moving forward.

PS- here's the lone article I found. My bad if posted previously: http://newsok.com/oklahoma-football-trey-metoyer-battled-the-urge-to-quit-listened-to-advice-from-justin-brown/article/3738189

KantoSooner
1/15/2013, 10:01 AM
The few times I saw him this year, he seemed to have trouble knowing where he was on the field (ie, he wasn't sure of where the sideline was). I'm hoping that was just growing pains and that he'll turn into a monster this next year. I've loved the practice video.

OUTrumpet
1/15/2013, 11:02 AM
The few times I saw him this year, he seemed to have trouble knowing where he was on the field (ie, he wasn't sure of where the sideline was). I'm hoping that was just growing pains and that he'll turn into a monster this next year. I've loved the practice video.

He had a hard time remembering his routes this year. Would frequently run a route that would put him in another player's zone where 1 defender could cover 2 receivers because they were sitting within 5 yards of each other. Gave our offense fits early, especially against KSU and UTEP. Didn't watch the FA&M game, and Texas Tech I didn't notice it too much, but I don't remember seeing him make any plays either so how much did he play?

Once Saunders was cleared, he rode the bench a lot.

OkieThunderLion
1/15/2013, 11:51 AM
Metoyer was Stills' back up at the 'X' receiver, so it's his time to shine!

Look out for Jaz though, he might fit in somewhere, too.

thecrimsoncrusader
1/15/2013, 12:31 PM
Brennan Clay wasn't too special with freshman and sophomore years (some of it due to injury, some of it due to the lightbulb not coming on yet), but he really got it together this season and was patient with his runs and ran really strong. Players develop at different rates and once again, we are reminded not to take too much from the results of spring and fall drills. Metoyer could end up great, but he could also end up being Adron Tennell where we wait 4 years for him to shine and it never happens.

I'm sure a lot of people expected DGB of Missouri to have a lot more than 400 yards for Missouri in his debut year, but that didn't happen either. At this point, Shepard is a much better receiver than DGB and I wouldn't be surprised to see it stay that way.

Boomer.....
1/15/2013, 12:39 PM
Give him time.

Widescreen
1/15/2013, 12:58 PM
Not too worried yet. I was hoping he'd have a Sammy Watkins freshman season but it didn't happen. Once Saunders was cleared, Stills moved out wide and that was it for Metoyer this year. The kid has real skills - it just remains to be seen if he'll put it all together.

StoopTroup
1/15/2013, 03:20 PM
I'm sure we will get to see just where he stands come the Red n White Game.

badger
1/15/2013, 03:48 PM
Give him time.

Clock's ticking. You only get four years in college football (unless you are Jason White, hehe). Stoops can only give him so many opportunities before he tries out the guys behind him.

I'm sure we will get to see just where he stands come the Red n White Game.

I would agree with you, but in the Red/White game last year, he seemed to be standing in "Ryan Broyles successor" position. :(

VA Sooner
1/15/2013, 08:18 PM
Saw lots of potential last year but got passed up by a junior and a senior. He'll be fine...

8timechamps
1/15/2013, 09:18 PM
Metoyer is going to be a very good player. Some guys come in and are comfortable with the system almost immediately (Shepard), other guys take a little while to pick it up. I'm not saying Metoyer is the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I'm not sure Metoyer is the sharpest knife in the drawer.

When it clicks for him, he's going to be phenomenal.

badger
1/16/2013, 09:20 AM
Dealing with adversity can help as well. Metoyer was the No. 2 WR recruit in the country, if I'm not mistaken. Now that he's dealt with a crappy season, does he use that as motivation, or to crawl into a little dark corner and pout?

I'm hopeful that it's motivational, of course :)

8timechamps
1/16/2013, 04:39 PM
Dealing with adversity can help as well. Metoyer was the No. 2 WR recruit in the country, if I'm not mistaken. Now that he's dealt with a crappy season, does he use that as motivation, or to crawl into a little dark corner and pout?

I'm hopeful that it's motivational, of course :)

He's been pretty vocal (well, as vocal as he can be) about using last season to learn and also taking it as an opportunity to learn patience. He seems to have a good head on his shoulders.

KantoSooner
1/16/2013, 04:46 PM
I hope he took notes from a certain PSU transfer. He has the capability to turn into a similar player. And that would be just fine with me.

Eielson
1/16/2013, 04:51 PM
Stills, Saunders, Brown, Shepard, and Neal are pretty stiff competition for a freshman. I think we had three freshman studs in that group, but it's hard to stand out with all those other guys.

badger
1/16/2013, 04:55 PM
I hope he took notes from a certain PSU transfer.

Funny you mention that (http://newsok.com/oklahoma-football-trey-metoyer-battled-the-urge-to-quit-listened-to-advice-from-justin-brown/article/3738189)

goingoneight
1/18/2013, 10:59 AM
From what I saw, Heupel was right about the fact that he plays the ball like Malcolm Kelly and Ryan Broyles did. He rarely drops a catchable ball. But he had a lot of trouble being where he was supposed to be unless it was just a jump ball-kind of route. Landry double-clutched a lot early on when aiming for Metoyer. More than just a pump-fake or two to freeze a safety. That's usually a sign that QB and receiver aren't on the same page. For guys like Saunders, Stills and Brown, Landry didn't seem to have those problems. Just from that, I can imagine he just needs to work out the jitters and focus on the fine-mechanics of the position. Juaquin Iglesias might not have been the best WR ever, but he was a great example of a guy who knew all the fundamentals of getting open and creating a safe window for his QB to throw the ball. It takes focus and work sometimes. Not every guy has it come to them naturally like Clayton, Broyles and Shepard.