PDA

View Full Version : Started Knothead on his heart worm treatments

olevetonahill
1/14/2013, 08:28 PM
today, man is he a sick dog . I orta have my butt kicked for completely forgettin about the Preventative pill that would have kept him from ever getting them.:blue:

Have to take him back again in the morning for the second round. then hope for the best. Doc said theres a very real chance a piece of dead worm can break loose and kill him if I dont keep him quite and kinda still for the next 3 weeks.
Have to give him a full strength aspirin twice a day for the next 3 weeks to help keep his blood thin.
Then we got to treat the baby worms that are in his Blood right now.

Poor Old dog got a ruff row to hoe for a few weeks .
Hell I dint think He could get any more spoiled than he is But Im working on it now. :friendly_wink:

olevetonahill
1/14/2013, 08:29 PM
Heh, Even Biznacho is spoilin him, Ive noticed the last few days shes Been givin him a bath . She aint ever done that before

FirstandGoal
1/14/2013, 08:54 PM
Giving him a bath as in the way that cats groom each other?

That's weird.

olevetonahill
1/14/2013, 08:59 PM
Giving him a bath as in the way that cats groom each other?

That's weird.

Yup, She started that 2 er 3 days ago. Its Like she knows hes sick and she doing what she can to help him
She's a wierd dog anyway. When My Cat had the kittens a few years ago She did her best to help raise em, She bathed em even let em nurse her. Her poor little titties were so Raw from those kittens tryin to get milk. I finally had to lock her away from em so she could heal up.

olevetonahill
1/15/2013, 11:24 AM
Going for round 2 here in a few

Curly Bill
1/15/2013, 11:27 AM
Good luck Vet and company! Pets are the allsome!

olevetonahill
1/15/2013, 11:29 AM
Good luck Vet and company! Pets are the allsome!

Knot head is a cool old dog. Some here have met him. I can remember the day I found him at the dump. he was happy as hell to have a Home.

Curly Bill
1/15/2013, 11:43 AM
Knot head is a cool old dog. Some here have met him. I can remember the day I found him at the dump. he was happy as hell to have a Home.

LOL...wouldn't we all be in that case! That's cool that you did that for him.

KantoSooner
1/15/2013, 11:53 AM
Hey Vet, I'm sure you know, but if you don't: DON'T substitute any other pain killer for the aspirin. Tylenol can kill a dog. They're interchangeable in people, but not in animals. Kidneys or liver or something work differently.

olevetonahill
1/15/2013, 12:37 PM
Hey Vet, I'm sure you know, but if you don't: DON'T substitute any other pain killer for the aspirin. Tylenol can kill a dog. They're interchangeable in people, but not in animals. Kidneys or liver or something work differently.

Im following exactly what Doc told me to do. Poor old Boy. He trys to stay right beside me now. We went and got that second shot and he just stood there like a good dog

Sides the Aspirin aint for Pain its to keep his blood thin for now so the worms can break up and pass out of his heart easier with less chance of killin him.

This next week will be the critical time. I could find him dead at anytime from a stroke or whatever.

olevetonahill
1/15/2013, 06:51 PM
Man , I know hes feeling bad right now, Last night after the 1st dose he ate about 1/2 his supper, Tonight he dint even look at it. before He was dancing all over the dayum place ready to eat.

rock on sooner
1/15/2013, 07:24 PM
Vet, gotta soft spot in my heart fer pets, be sure to stroke Knothead
every chance yew git!

olevetonahill
1/15/2013, 07:29 PM
Vet, gotta soft spot in my heart fer pets, be sure to stroke Knothead
every chance yew git!

That aint hard bro. Hes pretty much right up my butt this entire time.

rock on sooner
1/15/2013, 07:39 PM
That aint hard bro. Hes pretty much right up my butt this entire time.

Means he knows...gotta little Yorkie that captured my heart when I
was rehabbing my new metallic shoulder..he knew that I wuz hurtin..
actually he's my daughters but I spend more time with him so he's my
bud...

olevetonahill
1/15/2013, 07:45 PM
I have to look close to make sure the Old boy is still breathin. Doc said he could go out like a light if a clump breaks off at the wrong time.
Fixin to give him his evenin aspirin
Gonna keep that blood as thin as Doc wants it,

8timechamps
1/15/2013, 09:29 PM
Did the meds make him sick?

Good on ya vet! (not for making his sick, for helpin' the old fella).

rock on sooner
1/15/2013, 09:29 PM
I have to look close to make sure the Old boy is still breathin. Doc said he could go out like a light if a clump breaks off at the wrong time.
Fixin to give him his evenin aspirin
Gonna keep that blood as thin as Doc wants it,

They look to us to help, I know that you are and Knothead is in good hands!

olevetonahill
1/15/2013, 10:35 PM
Did the meds make him sick?

Good on ya vet! (not for making his sick, for helpin' the old fella).

Yea its the treatment
Its massive doses of arsenic from what I understand. Kinda Like Chemo in a way. It kills the worms already in his heart. then in 3 weeks If he recovers from this and survives the worms breaking up and being expelled from his heart without having a Stroke or a coronary then I take him back to treat for the baby worms still in his blood

****s nasty. I think Doc was actually surprised that he made it thru Last night.

olevetonahill
1/15/2013, 10:39 PM
They look to us to help, I know that you are and Knothead is in good hands!

He'd of been in better hands IF i had not let the preventative slip my mind and He had never gotten these dayum things.

Doc said to keep him quite for awhile. Right now that aint very hard. he's so sick he barely moves and has done nothing but sleep all day, Which is prolly a good thing for him

If yall have a dog and Ya love the ****er get em on that Preventative once a month pill. Dont let em go thru this ****.

BajaOklahoma
1/15/2013, 11:12 PM
We adopted a Golden Retriever years ago. First thing I di was take him to get started on heartworm meds. But he was heartworm positive. The treatment schedule, and probably the dose, was different. He had to stay at the vets for 5 days, then no activity for 30 days.
The vet said he was the only dog they ever had that gained weight while being treated for heartworm. He ate everything in sight. We made a 4x4 pen outside, so he could enjoy the Spring sun - and I had a heart attack when he jumped the fence. After that, he was always on a leash.
Reuben lived another 8 years with no healthy issues.

Hang in there.

olevetonahill
1/15/2013, 11:50 PM
We adopted a Golden Retriever years ago. First thing I di was take him to get started on heartworm meds. But he was heartworm positive. The treatment schedule, and probably the dose, was different. He had to stay at the vets for 5 days, then no activity for 30 days.
The vet said he was the only dog they ever had that gained weight while being treated for heartworm. He ate everything in sight. We made a 4x4 pen outside, so he could enjoy the Spring sun - and I had a heart attack when he jumped the fence. After that, he was always on a leash.
Reuben lived another 8 years with no healthy issues.

Hang in there.

Thanks The treatment is prolly different now than then. I guess.

Best I understand is They have maybe a 50-50 shot of surviving the treatment. Prolly why the Vet wanted to keep him
Mines just an Old Country Doc, Figures I can handle burying him if he dont make it .It will hurt But Yea he wont be the 1st one buried out here. Had the Old boy over 10 years now. Prolly wont ever get another Big dog

KantoSooner
1/16/2013, 10:56 AM
Hang in there. Not fun.

yermom
1/16/2013, 10:59 AM
how's he doin'?

olevetonahill
1/16/2013, 11:20 AM
how's he doin'?

Bro he was like warmed over death all night . He finally got up and wanted O/S . Seems to be feeling a LOT better this morning . He's acting like he wants to eat but just aint sure he should .
If one of the dead worms dont get him he should come on thru fine .

Thanks for askin

KantoSooner
1/17/2013, 09:44 AM
How're things this morning? still on upward slope, I hope.

olevetonahill
1/17/2013, 12:26 PM
How're things this morning? still on upward slope, I hope.

Yup, He ate late last night . Guess he fought thru the Wat the shots made him feel. Seems to be a lot more active . which is what we dont want right now. Doc said to keep him on the aspirin 2 a day for a week then cut down to one . So Im guesing this 1st week is the Big danger time.

He takes after me cause hes a Tuff old bastard and gonna let it get him .:sneakiness:

KantoSooner
1/17/2013, 02:01 PM
Good news.

Curly Bill
1/17/2013, 02:14 PM
Always tough to watch a pet or a child suffer. Glad he's feeling better!

TheHumanAlphabet
1/17/2013, 02:21 PM
Sorry to hear this 'vet. This treatment is one of the worse things for animals. Larger dogs seem to fare better than smaller dogs, but it will take a lot out of any of them. Mrs. THA is deathly afraid of this and is religious about the preventative. Hope you and the dog have great outcomes!

olevetonahill
1/17/2013, 03:16 PM
Im breathin easier right now, But I know anything could still happen.Once the dead worms get out of his heart and and hes more active Then all should be well.
Biznacho is giving him a bath now. :peach:

StoopTroup
1/17/2013, 06:22 PM
It's great his near death experience has brought you two closer together.

Remember....there is a lot more that injections and pills you need to do to help the dog through it' recovery.

Increased energy - Even though your dog may begin to feel better after a few days, it is still important that he rest and refrain from exercise, so you'll need to continue to confine him for the first month. This means no walks and no playtime. Put him on a leash to take him outside when necessary, and then bring him back in. If you have problems limiting his activity level, confine him in a small area of the house or in a large crate.

Three or four weeks after the initial treatment, your dog will need to be brought back for treatment of the microfilaria; these are the baby heartworms. This can usually be handled during a one day vet visit.

After that, continued checkups and testing will follow, and the dog will be placed on heartworm preventative medication.

KantoSooner
1/18/2013, 11:49 AM
And today?

olevetonahill
1/18/2013, 06:25 PM
And today?

Getting better everyday. he sure as hell dont want to stay down now. Still on the aspirin regimen for 3 more days of 2 a day then cut it back to one, after 3 weeks I have an appointment to take him back for a follow up which then he will start the meds to kill the babies out of the blood stream. after another 3 weeks then I can start him on the preventative.

Hes a dayum good old dog

rock on sooner
1/18/2013, 07:12 PM
Getting better everyday. he sure as hell dont want to stay down now. Still on the aspirin regimen for 3 more days of 2 a day then cut it back to one, after 3 weeks I have an appointment to take him back for a follow up which then he will start the meds to kill the babies out of the blood stream. after another 3 weeks then I can start him on the preventative.

Hes a dayum good old dog

Good on ya, Vet, I know a few who would just the pup down...it's a feel
good ta hear ya talk!

olevetonahill
1/18/2013, 07:21 PM
Good on ya, Vet, I know a few who would just the pup down...it's a feel
good ta hear ya talk!

Like Ive said bro, Ill spend a few hundred to try to get him back healthy. But I aint spending thousands!
Hell he has maybe 2 to4 years left.

rock on sooner
1/18/2013, 09:15 PM
Like Ive said bro, Ill spend a few hundred to try to get him back healthy. But I aint spending thousands!
Hell he has maybe 2 to4 years left.

Could well be, my man..I'm pullin' fer Knothead and yew...

olevetonahill
1/18/2013, 10:50 PM
Could well be, my man..I'm pullin' fer Knothead and yew...

Thanks bro. Hes a pretty tuff old guy.
Its amazing how attached ya can get to sompun ya haul home from the Dump.

TitoMorelli
1/18/2013, 11:22 PM
Thanks bro. Hes a pretty tuff old guy.
Its amazing how attached ya can get to sompun ya haul home from the Dump.

Or the Bar.

olevetonahill
1/18/2013, 11:28 PM
Or the Bar.

Heh, Most what I haul home from the Bar gets hauled off with the trash to the dump.

TitoMorelli
1/18/2013, 11:42 PM
Heh, Most what I haul home from the Bar gets hauled off with the trash to the dump.

Doesn't clean up so well, does it? Or look quite as fetchin' the next morning?

olevetonahill
1/18/2013, 11:56 PM
Doesn't clean up so well, does it? Or look quite as fetchin' the next morning?

Heh.

olevetonahill
1/23/2013, 08:15 AM
Knothead update. He has more energy than before But I still need to try to keep him calm. Still has that deep bronchial cough Doc said that will clear up. Ive cut him back to 1 aspirin a day now. His next Doc appointment is the 5th

Hes Playing the sympathy card to the max tho. :excitement:

KantoSooner
1/23/2013, 09:41 AM
Great news.

rock on sooner
1/23/2013, 09:15 PM
Knothead update. He has more energy than before But I still need to try to keep him calm. Still has that deep bronchial cough Doc said that will clear up. Ive cut him back to 1 aspirin a day now. His next Doc appointment is the 5th

Hes Playing the sympathy card to the max tho. :excitement:

Aint nothin like a canine con man!

KantoSooner
1/24/2013, 10:55 AM
They all are, man, they all are.
Keep us updated and post a pic of the old boy.

Most of the best people I know are dogs.

olevetonahill
1/24/2013, 10:59 AM
They all are, man, they all are.
Keep us updated and post a pic of the old boy.

Most of the best people I know are dogs.

Yup Dogs are Good People.
Ill see if I have one already

olevetonahill
1/24/2013, 11:01 AM
Here he is asleep with my Weenie and Punanay :sneakiness:

http://imageshack.us/a/img205/9282/dscn0012ux.jpg

Mjcpr
1/24/2013, 11:03 AM
That looks like the Erin Andrews angle.

C&CDean
1/24/2013, 12:17 PM
Thems some obese creatures.

olevetonahill
1/24/2013, 12:22 PM

Noticed that huh?

Since Knot head got sick hes down about 4 lbs. Biznacho is down a couple. She had gotten so fat she couldnt jump on the bed by herself. The Cat? hell I cant control her feedin, If I dont give her Food she just goes O/S and catches her a snack.

nacho weighed in at a tad over 20 and Knothead was around 94. Ive cut their feed in 1/2 they think Im mistreatin em somethin fierce :satellite:

Flagstaffsooner
1/24/2013, 12:41 PM

Pappy aint exactly Twiggy.

olevetonahill
1/24/2013, 12:42 PM
Pappy aint exactly Twiggy.

:culpability:

KantoSooner
1/28/2013, 10:17 AM
How'd the weekend go?

olevetonahill
1/29/2013, 08:36 PM
How'd the weekend go?

IHes doing Great . Take him back the 5th for a follow up.then we go after those in his blood.

KantoSooner
1/30/2013, 10:00 AM
I think youse guys are winning! Good news.

olevetonahill
1/30/2013, 10:24 AM
I think youse guys are winning! Good news.

Thanks, hes a Good old dog. That 1st week after treatment started was the hardest on him.

rock on sooner
1/30/2013, 10:37 AM
Thanks, hes a Good old dog. That 1st week after treatment started was the hardest on him.

Bet it werent easy on you, either...

olevetonahill
1/30/2013, 10:44 AM
Bet it werent easy on you, either...

I hate that old bastard. Hell all he does is get on my bed and sleep.

SoonerStormchaser
1/30/2013, 11:06 AM
So what's up with the site, Olevet?

olevetonahill
1/30/2013, 11:31 AM
So what's up with the site, Olevet?

Turd Broke it

KantoSooner
1/30/2013, 11:54 AM
I hate that old bastard. Hell all he does is get on my bed and sleep.

Rock On Sooner gets up on your bed and sleeps? Once more today, I'm a getting a touch queasy...

pphilfran
1/30/2013, 11:56 AM
Turd Broke it

He's such a turd...

olevetonahill
1/30/2013, 11:57 AM
Rock On Sooner gets up on your bed and sleeps? Once more today, I'm a getting a touch queasy...

Yea, and he aint even a Good lay.

olevetonahill
1/30/2013, 11:58 AM
He's such a turd...

I had to slave over it to get it fixed again.

FirstandGoal
1/30/2013, 06:57 PM
Turd Broke it

Wha?????!

*runs over to see what's going on over there*

olevetonahill
1/30/2013, 07:13 PM
Wha?????!

*runs over to see what's going on over there*

Too late, I done fixed it. No clue how But Ima takin the credit anyway :black_eyed:

FirstandGoal
1/30/2013, 07:34 PM
Heh, lets just blame Turd anyway

olevetonahill
1/30/2013, 07:37 PM
Heh, lets just blame Turd anyway

Oh definitely :friendly_wink: I were jes lettin ya know How hard it was fer to fix it :lemo:

StoopTroup
2/1/2013, 04:04 AM
Our Golden was acting funny the last few days so we took him for a checkup and they gave him some pain killers but for the most part....he's OK.

I put one in a piece of cheese after he ate dinner tonight. Now he's laying next to the foot of our bed and I think he's pretty stoned....lol

KantoSooner
2/1/2013, 11:49 AM
Knothead update needed.

olevetonahill
2/1/2013, 11:52 AM
Knothead update needed.

he doing fine Bro. Still got the cough some but its gettin better each day.

Take him back in Tuesday for a check up.
Im guessin the worst is over, At least hopin so.

KantoSooner
2/1/2013, 02:03 PM
Tuesday's when you start flushing the little bastidges from his blood, right?

Bet you don't forget the monthlly pill after this. =>

olevetonahill
2/1/2013, 02:34 PM
Tuesday's when you start flushing the little bastidges from his blood, right?

Bet you don't forget the monthlly pill after this. =>

Im guesin thats what on the agenda.
Garentee he gets that monthly from here out. I never want to see him or any other dog have to go thru this.

olevetonahill
2/4/2013, 02:54 PM
Well, Just got a Call from The Dog Doc. Cant take Knothead in till Fri. Seems a few weeks ago Doc was werkin on a cow and the bitch Kicked him and broke his leg:hurt:

So will take him The Nurse and I will do most of any werk invoved. Thinkin Knothead is well on the mend by now.

rock on sooner
2/4/2013, 03:54 PM
Yea, and he aint even a Good lay.

Hell, I came over to the thread to check on Knothead and I see ya
go an tell everbody I aint any good:offended:

olevetonahill
2/4/2013, 04:06 PM
Hell, I came over to the thread to check on Knothead and I see ya
go an tell everbody I aint any good:offended:

heh, worst I ever had was fantastic.

olevetonahill
2/8/2013, 12:17 PM
Just got back from the Vet's , Knothead is doing great, Gave him the Meds to get em out of his blood stream. Take him back in another 3 weeks for another Blood test. If none found then we start him on the Preventative. If theres still any in the blood we retreat for that, Then have to retest again. If he still has any in the Blood we get to start all over again.Dayum I still kickin my *** for forgettin to keep him on the preventative in the 1st place.

I will never skip it again on ANY dog i ever have.

KantoSooner
2/8/2013, 12:40 PM
concentrate on the positive. He's better and has a good shot of being done with this whole mess very soon. Good news.

Give that dog a bone. Part of the skelital structure of a large mammal just to clear things up for the board pervs.

olevetonahill
2/8/2013, 12:53 PM
concentrate on the positive. He's better and has a good shot of being done with this whole mess very soon. Good news.

Give that dog a bone. Part of the skelital structure of a large mammal just to clear things up for the board pervs.

Heh, Doc was impressed that he even survived the treatment. Told me that he hoped he had prepared me enough to know that Knothead could easily die from the treatment. I told him I knew that was a very strong possibility when he had me Pay him UP front for the complete treatment.

I started feeling optimistic after he survived thru the 1st week. As sick as he got I really dint think he would make it. I would sneak up on him when he was asleep and see if he was still breathin.

He kinda Like Me, Tuff sonofabitch to kill :peaceful:

tulsaoilerfan
2/8/2013, 11:27 PM
Knothead must be a tough dog; we had a beagle that contracted heartworms back in 97; we treated her but she ended up dying after about 2 weeks; it sucked

olevetonahill
2/8/2013, 11:36 PM
Knothead must be a tough dog; we had a beagle that contracted heartworms back in 97; we treated her but she ended up dying after about 2 weeks; it sucked

He pretty dayum tuff. About 5 er 6 years ago he got snake bit, swelled up worse than if he had gout around his neck and throat area, 3 to4 days later swellin started going down and he came thru just fine.

olevetonahill
2/8/2013, 11:39 PM
Oh Not to mention i think it was 9 years ago he got ran over by a three axel stock trailer, Lost a Lot of hide and about 6 inches of his tail. I thot sure he would die both those times.

He earned his name from the day I found him at the dump.:stupid:

olevetonahill
2/28/2013, 09:38 AM
Fixin to take him in for the follow up. Will give an Update later this evening when I get back. Got some eraands to run and My neighbors truck to fix, They let Rats get in the wiring Every time I fix something I find 2 more places the bastards got to.

KantoSooner
2/28/2013, 10:36 AM
Get that dog some crispy bacon.

Cures damn near any problem a dog might have. Makes 'em smile, too.

olevetonahill
2/28/2013, 10:41 AM
Get that dog some crispy bacon.

Cures damn near any problem a dog might have. Makes 'em smile, too.

Wish I could, But I got to put his fat *** on a diet also. Me and him gotta lose some weight

KantoSooner
2/28/2013, 11:56 AM
Go onto the bacon diet. Three slices each meal until you reach your preferred weight. You'll be hungry a lot of the time, but at least you'll get to eat bacon.

Standards, man! You must maintain standards!

olevetonahill
2/28/2013, 01:34 PM
Go onto the bacon diet. Three slices each meal until you reach your preferred weight. You'll be hungry a lot of the time, but at least you'll get to eat bacon.

Standards, man! You must maintain standards!

Heh

Just got home, Doc still found some Not many but enough to continue the Ivamec treatment. Said He thinks we got em whooped. only found 2 in the entire slide.
Take him back in another 3 weeks guess we keep this up until there aint no more. he said He didnt think there was any way we would have to start all over ,
So Guess Ill keep the old bastard for a few more years :victorious:

FirstandGoal
2/28/2013, 06:32 PM
Fantastic news!

olevetonahill
2/28/2013, 06:38 PM
Fantastic news!

Thanks, He is a good old dog. Cant believe its been almost 11 years since I found him at the dump.

rock on sooner
2/28/2013, 07:16 PM
Heh

Just got home, Doc still found some Not many but enough to continue the Ivamec treatment. Said He thinks we got em whooped. only found 2 in the entire slide.
Take him back in another 3 weeks guess we keep this up until there aint no more. he said He didnt think there was any way we would have to start all over ,
So Guess Ill keep the old bastard for a few more years :victorious:

Outstanding!

olevetonahill
4/1/2013, 09:45 AM
OK Im takin him back this Mornin.
Dont know if I said it er not But right after we started this with Knothead Doc got tangeled up with a cow in a stock trailer and broke his leg bad.
Just called his Office and His Nurse/receptionist , Has just broke HER leg. I dont think I want to hang around there much .
Will give another update when I get back

olevetonahill
4/1/2013, 12:20 PM
Just got home,
Knothead is heartworm FREE.
starin him on the preventative today.
Hes one tuff sonofabitch to have survived everything he has. Being run over, Snake Bit ( Copperhead) to this .
Thanks for all the prayers and good thots.
Lets concentrate on STs Dog. and hope all werks out well for him.