PDA

View Full Version : WR Dannon Cavil flips commit to OU

8timechamps
1/14/2013, 07:37 PM
4 - star WR Dannon Cavil ((6'5", 205 lbs - San Antonio TX) has de-committed from Cal, and committed with the Sooners. Cavil enrolled in classes at OU today, and will be an early entrant.

Cavil is a mammoth prospect who could easily develop into a jumbo athlete TE-H/WR over time. He's an elite size and strength athlete who is just missing the top end speed to be an elite WR as a consistent vertical weapon for the next level, but don't be fooled -- Cavil is talented. Once he gets going, he is rarely caught. He is a long strider who glides on the field. He shows average quickness off the ball, needs a few steps to get going and does not have great lateral quickness. He does a good job finding the soft spot in the zones underneath. He has good vision and finds creases in the defense. He is a tough runner who is a physical mismatch for high school DBs.

Cavil goes after the ball in traffic and takes a hit. He has soft hands and catches the ball away from his body. He has limited jump ball attempts, which is rare given his measurables. He is able to snatch the ball below his waste without breaking stride and glides through his routes with ease. He does not have a large route tree, but is very good at what he does -- posts, go routes and speed cuts. He lacks the explosion to be great at sharp cuts and needs to improve in this area. He does not have great wiggle, but is physical and does a nice job putting his foot in the ground and hitting a seam in the defense. He flashes a burst in the open field. He's a long-armed physical specimen who should project into a very good blocker at the next level. He works hard to finish blocks with good hand placement and leg drive. Cavil possesses a big frame that could easily develop into an H-Back type tight end at the next level. If he develops more quickness, he possesses the rest of the tools to be a very good No. 1 receiver on the outside.

boomersooner28
1/14/2013, 07:38 PM
What!?!? Serious?

Quit playing games here.....

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/14/2013, 07:42 PM
here's the Scout profile:

http://oklahoma.scout.com/a.z?s=146&p=8&c=1&nid=5785271

boomersooner28
1/14/2013, 07:49 PM
Sweet. He's big....in stature

8timechamps
1/14/2013, 07:52 PM
This kid is going to be special. I kinda wonder if he's going to move to TE, or just stay on the outside. Either way, this is a big commit!

Scott D
1/14/2013, 08:08 PM
I'm actually surprised it took this long to flip him.

VA Sooner
1/14/2013, 09:09 PM
Surprised to read this tonight... shortly after a visit to OU this weekend, he enrolls in to classes to start today. Reminds me of Megatron... we'll see!

Widescreen
1/14/2013, 09:20 PM
He is able to snatch the ball below his waste without breaking stride

Ewwww. What kind of football do they play in San Antonio?

NorthernIowaSooner
1/14/2013, 09:50 PM
Rivals reported Monday night that the Sooners and Treadwell had “parted ways.” Cavil, from San Antonio's James Madison High, is expected to enroll later this week and go through spring practice with the Sooners.

8X, is this just a numbers thing with Cavil committing, a lack of confidence in Treadwell picking OU or did they cut him off for other reasons?

8timechamps
1/14/2013, 10:02 PM
8X, is this just a numbers thing with Cavil committing, a lack of confidence in Treadwell picking OU or did they cut him off for other reasons?

I think the KJ Young commit was a numbers thing. OU has been watching Cavil for a long time, but only recently offered (seems to be the case a lot this year), so I think he would have had a spot regardless. I think it's pretty well known behind the scenes that Treadwell is going to Ole Miss, so KJ Young got the offer from the Sooners.

Treadwell is a weird deal, because I think he was seriously considering OU for a while, but ultimately it was his relationships at Ole Miss that lured him.

EatLeadCommie
1/14/2013, 10:04 PM
any relation to the old Texas WR Kwame Cavil?

8timechamps
1/14/2013, 10:12 PM

I wonder the same thing, but I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere....will keep looking.

Soonerjeepman
1/15/2013, 09:29 AM
nice pick-up...big kid. does he have the speed to be purely WR?

Curly Bill
1/15/2013, 09:31 AM
nice pick-up...big kid. does he have the speed to be purely WR?

I hear we're going to make him a center.

sooneron
1/15/2013, 09:46 AM
heh

OkieThunderLion
1/15/2013, 11:57 AM

Related to Kwame and Ben (who are cousins), but I'm not sure in which manner.

Curly Bill
1/15/2013, 12:00 PM
Related to Kwame and Ben (who are cousins), but I'm not sure in which manner.

Well, I'll be dang! I knew there was a reason his name sounded familiar.

8timechamps
1/15/2013, 05:00 PM
HOLD ON...Texas has jumped in and offered Cavil. As mentioned above, there is a long history between the Cavil family and the Horns, so this may not be a done deal yet...

OkieThunderLion
1/15/2013, 05:34 PM
HOLD ON...Texas has jumped in and offered Cavil. As mentioned above, there is a long history between the Cavil family and the Horns, so this may not be a done deal yet...
Yes, I heard UT offered this morning. What are the rules for early enrollees? Can he be enrolled at OU and flip before signing day?

8timechamps
1/15/2013, 05:36 PM
Yes, I heard UT offered this morning. What are the rules for early enrollees? Can he be enrolled at OU and flip before signing day?

Good question, I don't know...but I'll look into it.

OkieThunderLion
1/15/2013, 05:54 PM
UT offering some other OU commits now. Both Ford and Bennett have been mentioned.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/15/2013, 06:04 PM
I hear we're going to make him a center.the kid should punt.

Moore
1/15/2013, 06:08 PM
**** texas

EatLeadCommie
1/15/2013, 06:53 PM
If he has enrolled, I wouldn't be too concerned about him flipping.

8timechamps
1/15/2013, 09:38 PM
Stoops/Norvell made a (planned) in-home visit with Cavil.

He says he's "all OU". Is supposed to be on campus tomorrow.

Not sure if the reports that he was enrolled already were erroneous, or if he is enrolled, but not on campus yet.