PDA

View Full Version : Flagrant foul all on Saturday

TFSooner
1/14/2013, 01:49 PM
Listened to the radio broadcst of the OU/osu game on Saturday. Haven't navigated the entire site for every message, so I apologize if discussed and I missed it, but what was the consensus opinon on the flagrant call against Romero (can't remember exactly, but I think it was him)? The radio team seemed to indcate the osu player flopped or did a good job of acting to sell the flagrant foul call. The officials even spent a long time study the broadcat and made the call, so my feeling is it must have been at least semi legit.

Thoughts?

CowboyMRW
1/14/2013, 02:03 PM
Listened to the radio broadcst of the OU/osu game on Saturday. Haven't navigated the entire site for every message, so I apologize if discussed and I missed it, but what was the consensus opinon on the flagrant call against Romero (can't remember exactly, but I think it was him)? The radio team seemed to indcate the osu player flopped or did a good job of acting to sell the flagrant foul call. The officials even spent a long time study the broadcat and made the call, so my feeling is it must have been at least semi legit.

Thoughts?

Anytime you hit someone above their shoulders with your elbows it's an automatic Flagrant 1. New rule change 2 years ago I believe. Romero had the ball below the wing and was tightly guarded by LB and to clear some space he swung his elbow and caught LB on the nose. Maybe there was some acting, but with the new rules it was the correct call.

sooner_born_1960
1/14/2013, 02:15 PM
Except that he whiffed, and didn't connect with anything.

badger
1/14/2013, 02:19 PM
Since they replayed the "hit" about 50 times on TV, I realized after awhile that Nash was delaying his reaction. The "hit" ... a few beats... THEN Nash flings his head backward.

More telling is that Nash kept guarding, even after the alleged "hit." I think it I got elbowed in the nose, I'd have had more of a reaction than a delayed head bob.

I think that there was contact, but a slight grazing, not a sharp elbow. Not flagrant material.

Ruf/Nek7
1/14/2013, 02:23 PM
It was Cam Clark not Osby and I believe there was contact but only by the most microscopic means.

Soonerjeepman
1/14/2013, 02:42 PM
Anytime you hit someone above their shoulders with your elbows it's an automatic Flagrant 1. New rule change 2 years ago I believe. Romero had the ball below the wing and was tightly guarded by LB and to clear some space he swung his elbow and caught LB on the nose. Maybe there was some acting, but with the new rules it was the correct call.

MAYBE...lol really? he totally acted...watch it in slow mo..(Nash?) didn't even start flopping back til Clark's elbow was past his face. Not going to argue the call, it was what it was but your guy totally flopped on that...check out how aggressive he goes to def mode after when Clark drove baseline.

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
1/14/2013, 03:02 PM

Flop all the way. It would made a soccer player proud!

badger
1/14/2013, 03:13 PM
Flop all the way. It would made a soccer player proud!

I don't blame him for it, I blame the refs. Like you just pointed out, in soccer it's gamesmanship to try to get fouls called by flopping. OKLAST needed something to get back into this important game (if they won, they'd likely be back in the top 25) and the refs were the way to go about it. Kudos to them for trying.

CowboyMRW
1/14/2013, 03:59 PM
The refs giveth and the refs taketh away

Soonerjeepman
1/14/2013, 04:27 PM

they tried...but the Sooners wouldn't let them.

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
1/14/2013, 06:55 PM

The refs weren't the reason the Pokes lost. Sooners were called for everything in the 2nd half.

tycat947
1/14/2013, 07:44 PM
The refs weren't the reason the Pokes lost. Sooners were called for everything in the 2nd half.

Sure were!

Eielson
1/14/2013, 11:28 PM
It was a flopped, and could have caused potential disaster. Our big lead was starting to drift away, and we lost the ball and gave up two free throws. That was at least a two point loss, and more likely 4. They didn't originally even stop the play, but another ref (who didn't have near the view) came in and stopped it. Horrible call. We rebounded, though, and I was very impressed.

CowboyMRW
1/15/2013, 10:08 AM

I'm not blaming the refs at all, as I only had 2 issues with them, but I would like to take a look at your statement.

In the 1st half OU was the more aggressive team which led to getting OSU into some foul trouble, especially Smart. During our run in the 2nd half, we were clearly the more aggressive team. We took everything to the rim, full court pressed you, basically left it all on the court. Hence the reason you had more fouls called. The more aggressive teams will always get more fouls called against the other team and get to the line more than the opposing team.

Secondly, you benefited greatly from two major, major terrible calls. I have no problem with Smart's 2nd foul being a charge. Good call. But then to go to the other end and call a block on Smart when it was the exact same scenario. Bullsh*t. The second call was when we were on our major run and was positioned to take the lead, the C ref comes across the court and calls a foul on Brown when Pledger was shooting a 3 when a) that is in no way his call and b) Pledger wasn't touched. Completely took away our momentum that we had.

Y'all won the game though which is all that matters at the end of the day. You came out firing and hitting and being the more aggressive team, and as we usually do under Ford on the road came out sloppy and lolligagged around the first half. Ford just isn't a good road coach. Awesome recruiter, but I don't think he has what it takes to win in the Big 12. I'm interested in who we go get after Ford, as if he doesn't make the Sweet 16, I have a hard time seeing him survive at OSU.

Good win for yall and I'll be happy when the game is back at GIA, mainly so I can get rid of my avi and sig that Badger has so kindly bestowed upon me.

badger
1/15/2013, 10:27 AM
Awesome recruiter, but I don't think he has what it takes to win in the Big 12. I'm interested in who we go get after Ford, as if he doesn't make the Sweet 16, I have a hard time seeing him survive at OSU.

With the shnazzzy facilities you guys have for your bball teams now, wouldn't be surprised if Ford isn't the only reason recruits are choosing to spend their one-and-done years in Stilly. So, good for you for having shnazzy facilities I guess.

Good win for yall and I'll be happy when the game is back at GIA, mainly so I can get rid of my avi and sig that Badger has so kindly bestowed upon me.
So you're saying that you are not appreciative of the fact that your wrestling team is undefeated and has more national titles and all-americans than our football team and that you don't like Pistol Pete in a singlet, and that you get to display all of this on a sooner message board? :stunned:

Ruf/Nek7
1/15/2013, 10:38 AM
There is a simple truth to all of this that i feel most will agree with. Big XII officiating is the WORST in all of college basketball. They do not let teams play at all. I watch other inter-conference matchups between teams and you never see the constant whistle blows in other conferences.

badger
1/15/2013, 10:40 AM
There is a simple truth to all of this that i feel most will agree with. Big XII officiating is the WORST in all of college basketball. They do not let teams play at all. I watch other inter-conference matchups between teams and you never see the constant whistle blows in other conferences.

It could be worse. The Michigan meltdowners said that B1G officiating disallows for away teams to get any calls and pretty blatantly favors home teams. They're even banking on that fact to have a chance against tOSU, Indy, Minny et al later this season.

CowboyMRW
1/15/2013, 11:06 AM
With the shnazzzy facilities you guys have for your bball teams now, wouldn't be surprised if Ford isn't the only reason recruits are choosing to spend their one-and-done years in Stilly. So, good for you for having shnazzy facilities I guess.

So you're saying that you are not appreciative of the fact that your wrestling team is undefeated and has more national titles and all-americans than our football team and that you don't like Pistol Pete in a singlet, and that you get to display all of this on a sooner message board? :stunned:

Me and NYC had a good laugh about it. It is very funny for sure.

The facilities help for sure, but you've also got to have a closer like we do in Butch Pierre. I don't think we retain him if Ford is fired. And I think that he is a dirty recruiter, but hey isn't all of basketball dirty now?

badger
1/15/2013, 11:15 AM
The facilities help for sure, but you've also got to have a closer like we do in Butch Pierre. I don't think we retain him if Ford is fired.
Not worth it. No single coach, player, recruiter or any person should be worth holding your program hostage over... unless he controls your university's hedge fund.

And I think that he is a dirty recruiter, but hey isn't all of basketball dirty now?
Not the type that anyone should be a fan of. Sure, you might get a championship with a pro team like Kentucky last year, but look at them this year. Did they get ANYTHING other than a banner and t-shirts to build on from last year into this year?

All-Americans and future pros are nice, but they aren't building blocks for a successful program What I like about Lon's recruiting is that we aren't getting one-and-dones, we're getting four-year starters that are ousting previous starters from their starting spots.

So yeah, there's quick win scenarios, but it's not good for anything except a Florida Marlins-style championship (and then they traded away all of their talent... and now years later are in a weird Miami stadium with a dancing home run dolphin in the outfield!)

Soonerjeepman
1/15/2013, 01:12 PM
cowboy, I disagree with some of your conclusion. Believe it or not I'm not sure Smart's 2nd foul (the charge) was that clear...Neal (to me ) was moving...thought it was going the other way for a second. Yes we were the aggressor the first half, hence the fouls, but good grief you guys got a LOT of ticky tack crap the 2nd half on OU...a barely touch and a foul. One on Clark under your bucket he was CLEARLY pushed completely out on the rebound WHILE HE WAS JUMPING UP but then came back and tried to fight for the ball and got called for a foul.

Like you said, OU won, we'll see about stillwater...I though we had bad fans....your place was a ghost town against tcu. I'm sure it'll be a bit more full for OU.

CowboyMRW
1/15/2013, 02:29 PM
cowboy, I disagree with some of your conclusion. Believe it or not I'm not sure Smart's 2nd foul (the charge) was that clear...Neal (to me ) was moving...thought it was going the other way for a second. Yes we were the aggressor the first half, hence the fouls, but good grief you guys got a LOT of ticky tack crap the 2nd half on OU...a barely touch and a foul. One on Clark under your bucket he was CLEARLY pushed completely out on the rebound WHILE HE WAS JUMPING UP but then came back and tried to fight for the ball and got called for a foul.

Like you said, OU won, we'll see about stillwater...I though we had bad fans....your place was a ghost town against tcu. I'm sure it'll be a bit more full for OU.

For whatever reasons, GIA hasn't been full since 2006. Yea, every year has a couple games that sell out. Gonzaga, Kansas, Texas, and OU, but it's just not what it used to be. There has been some talk about how to make that happen though here recently so we'll see what the next couple years bring for us.

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
1/15/2013, 10:56 PM
I'm not blaming the refs at all, as I only had 2 issues with them, but I would like to take a look at your statement.

In the 1st half OU was the more aggressive team which led to getting OSU into some foul trouble, especially Smart. During our run in the 2nd half, we were clearly the more aggressive team. We took everything to the rim, full court pressed you, basically left it all on the court. Hence the reason you had more fouls called. The more aggressive teams will always get more fouls called against the other team and get to the line more than the opposing team.

Secondly, you benefited greatly from two major, major terrible calls. I have no problem with Smart's 2nd foul being a charge. Good call. But then to go to the other end and call a block on Smart when it was the exact same scenario. Bullsh*t. The second call was when we were on our major run and was positioned to take the lead, the C ref comes across the court and calls a foul on Brown when Pledger was shooting a 3 when a) that is in no way his call and b) Pledger wasn't touched. Completely took away our momentum that we had.

Y'all won the game though which is all that matters at the end of the day. You came out firing and hitting and being the more aggressive team, and as we usually do under Ford on the road came out sloppy and lolligagged around the first half. Ford just isn't a good road coach. Awesome recruiter, but I don't think he has what it takes to win in the Big 12. I'm interested in who we go get after Ford, as if he doesn't make the Sweet 16, I have a hard time seeing him survive at OSU.

One thing I think we can agree on. I think Ford is in over his head!

One thing I'm confident we will disagree with. I hope Ford has a nice, long tenure at your place!

nighttrain12
1/16/2013, 02:43 AM
Glad to see there were more than 12,000 (announced) at 'Bed-lam' last Saturday! I think it was in the 6,000's last season in Norman.

badger
1/16/2013, 09:09 AM
Glad to see there were more than 12,000 (announced) at 'Bed-lam' last Saturday! I think it was in the 6,000's last season in Norman.

I know we don't want everyone in a partially orange crowd coming down from upstairs, but due to the empties in the lower bowl, it didn't look like 12K on TV.

This is apparently an issue at other schools too --- when I was looking for UConn meltdown material (they lost to L'ville on Monday), they were complaining that the same big donors that don't show up for 50-yard seats are also not showing up for prime XL Center seats.

CowboyMRW
1/16/2013, 09:21 AM
I know we don't want everyone in a partially orange crowd coming down from upstairs, but due to the empties in the lower bowl, it didn't look like 12K on TV.

This is apparently an issue at other schools too --- when I was looking for UConn meltdown material (they lost to L'ville on Monday), they were complaining that the same big donors that don't show up for 50-yard seats are also not showing up for prime XL Center seats.

It's all of CBB that is having a hard time selling out. Duke even has problems now. It's not like it was 10 years ago for schools. Whether it be because of football or ESPN or the economy stadiums just aren't selling out like they used to.

badger
1/16/2013, 09:43 AM
It's all of CBB that is having a hard time selling out. Duke even has problems now. It's not like it was 10 years ago for schools. Whether it be because of football or ESPN or the economy stadiums just aren't selling out like they used to.

NP and I went to the KU home game in Capel's last season, not only because it was a weekend game, but also because there as a women's game the next day (vs. Baylor). Losing aside, there were tons of annoyances not related to being surrounded by KU fans that were rock chalking by the end of the game (and giggling my direction when I was demanding that someone cover Morningstar).

- The tickets were $50 each
- It was a 2-3 hour drive
- There were no nearby concessions, nor any walking sellers. You had to walk up a bunch of slippery stairs to get there
- The shadowboxes on the upper concourse had outdated and inaccurate player/coach/etc information