PDA

View Full Version : Aaron Colvin

8timechamps
1/13/2013, 09:43 PM
He will officially announce his decision tomorrow, but my "gut" tells me he's going to be back for his senior year.

goingoneight
1/13/2013, 09:46 PM
He will officially announce his decision tomorrow, but my "gut" tells me he's going to be back for his senior year.

Agree. Usually when players say they're going to make an announcement about it, it means they're staying. If they're going, they tend to quietly step out of it all. AC was the only guy I felt like who really enjoyed working for Mike Stoops when listening to him in interviews. Jefferson, Wort and a few others didn't look like they were his biggest fans. I think also that AC got the most out of working with MS.

VA Sooner
1/13/2013, 09:54 PM
Colvin will be outstanding for us next year and will be a great leader on the field for the young ones... good kid.

8timechamps
1/13/2013, 09:56 PM
Colvin will be outstanding for us next year and will be a great leader on the field for the young ones... good kid.

Could be a really solid group of leaders next year: Colvin, Millard, Bell & Ikard. I like it.

goingoneight
1/13/2013, 09:57 PM
And guess what... he was an underrated prospect coming out of Owasso who played right away. So, hold onto your tempers each time we sign a guy who may not necessarily be Johnny 5-star. I'll take Colvin just as soon as I'll take Tony Jefferson.

8timechamps
1/13/2013, 09:57 PM
Agree. Usually when players say they're going to make an announcement about it, it means they're staying. If they're going, they tend to quietly step out of it all. AC was the only guy I felt like who really enjoyed working for Mike Stoops when listening to him in interviews. Jefferson, Wort and a few others didn't look like they were his biggest fans. I think also that AC got the most out of working with MS.

While he probably won't say that in his announcement, I think that's the biggest reason he stays. He could really increase his stock with another solid year.

I was just looking at his recruiting information, he picked OU over OSU, Tulsa, UNLV and North Texas. Not exactly the "who's who" of college football. You just never know.

Soonerjeepman
1/13/2013, 11:23 PM
fwiw on the official site they have already listed next yrs roster, minus all those 2/3 star recruits (:P), and he is still on...course that just means he hasn't said anything yet....

OUTrumpet
1/13/2013, 11:31 PM
He tweeted a few weeks back that he didn't get good news on his draft report card. Could find the link if I had more time.

Collier11
1/14/2013, 12:06 AM
if he comes back he could have a shot at moving into the 1st/2nd rd

Widescreen
1/14/2013, 12:14 AM
He tweeted a few weeks back that he didn't get good news on his draft report card. Could find the link if I had more time.

That was a very cryptic comment. He said that he didn't get the news he was expected but that it was "good enough".

Curly Bill
1/14/2013, 08:33 AM
And guess what... he was an underrated prospect coming out of Owasso who played right away. So, hold onto your tempers each time we sign a guy who may not necessarily be Johnny 5-star. I'll take Colvin just as soon as I'll take Tony Jefferson.

Dude was a high 3-star coming out of high school. Not exactly a reach.

thecrimsoncrusader
1/14/2013, 08:57 AM

Aaron didn't get a lot of offers though, nor from big time college football programs outside of Oklahoma. And that isn't because he was an Oklahoma lock from the get-go, he was merely overlooked by many schools. The Oklahoma coaching staff did an excellent job of spotting Aaron's capabilities.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/14/2013, 09:19 AM
Right now just doesn't have the body size to contribute as a m2m corner in the NFL..At that position, it's just better to go in ready to play day 1.

jkjsooner
1/14/2013, 10:16 AM
Right now just doesn't have the body size to contribute as a m2m corner in the NFL..At that position, it's just better to go in ready to play day 1.

But that won't change in a year's time.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/14/2013, 10:42 AM
I'm sure he can put on a good playing weight in a year's time..

goingoneight
1/14/2013, 10:49 AM
Corner is one of the most difficult athletic positions to play in sports. It's hard to say any guy is a "lock" until he can straight up do it every game at the highest level. It's the one position where the slightest mistake usually leads to catastrophic results. Like many here, I remember thinking Derrick Strait was going to be among the NFL's best.

badger
1/14/2013, 10:50 AM
I'm sure he can put on a good playing weight in a year's time..

Is it worthwhile to wait anymore to improve a draft stock if you're going to get drafted regardless? Before, high draft picks could hold out for $50 million guaranteed (yay Sammie!) but now, with the slotted scale, is it best to just get paid as soon as you can?

stoops the eternal pimp
1/14/2013, 11:08 AM
Taking away the money side of it, a team will stick with a player longer and get more opportunities if drafted higher where a 5-7 round pick will get the boot a lot quicker...A lot of it due to the coach/gm's ego.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/14/2013, 11:10 AM
Corner is one of the most difficult athletic positions to play in sports. It's hard to say any guy is a "lock" until he can straight up do it every game at the highest level. It's the one position where the slightest mistake usually leads to catastrophic results. Like many here, I remember thinking Derrick Strait was going to be among the NFL's best.

Derrick was a zone corner without top speed...He was excellent in the college game, but he just wasn't built for the NFL..

goingoneight
1/14/2013, 11:27 AM
In hindsight, yes... but that wasn't the opinion around these parts when he played.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/14/2013, 11:33 AM
well, most of the opinions "around these parts", especially in that era concerning sooners in the NFL were overblown..i remember getting blasted over strait..and torrance marshall..and rocky calmus...and about every guy who put on a sooner uniform.

OkieThunderLion
1/14/2013, 11:38 AM
In hindsight, yes... but that wasn't the opinion around these parts when he played.
Strait was ultra protected in Stoops' field zone corner spot.

OkieThunderLion
1/14/2013, 11:41 AM
well, most of the opinions "around these parts", especially in that era concerning sooners in the NFL were overblown..i remember getting blasted over strait..and torrance marshall..and rocky calmus...and about every guy who put on a sooner uniform.
I was wrong on Reggie Smith and Rhett Bomar.

Knew Marshall would struggle with the ABCs, after seeing Calmus having to continually get him lined up correctly half-way thru his senior year.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/14/2013, 12:25 PM

If you get a D1 offer, the minimum you can get is 3 stars. Recruiting services have the CYA game down to a science.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/14/2013, 12:27 PM
Strait was ultra protected in Stoops' field zone corner spot.

I thought Strait was on the short side. MT/Woolfolk had the wide side.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/14/2013, 12:34 PM

The problem with Calmus was that he was hurt every offseason (which is pretty much the MO for defensive players that start as true freshman). Heck he played with a broken leg in 99. Bob needs to hire Pixar to mock up a Edna Mode short saying "No Play!!!" for the freshman.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/14/2013, 01:09 PM
The problem with Calmus was that he was hurt every offseason (which is pretty much the MO for defensive players that start as true freshman). Heck he played with a broken leg in 99. Bob needs to hire Pixar to mock up a Edna Mode short saying "No Play!!!" for the freshman.

Yeah, that was the whole issue with Calmus..i projected him as a 4th round(think he was taken middle 3rd) and it was like i was insulting him momma by not having him as a 1st rounder...

badger
1/14/2013, 01:13 PM
If you get a D1 offer, the minimum you can get is 3 stars. Recruiting services have the CYA game down to a science.

I've seen two stars, but have yet to see a 1-star or no-star recruit.

Maybe we should retroactively grade some of Texas' flops :mack:

OkieThunderLion
1/14/2013, 01:13 PM
I thought Strait was on the short side. MT/Woolfolk had the wide side.
Strait was boundary his final year when Perkins was opposite. But I recall them playing so much zone 2, that he wasn't challenged man very often. From depth charts, looks like they played LC/RC the first couple years. Doesn't seem correct though.

OkieThunderLion
1/14/2013, 01:40 PM
Going off "R" equals boundary and "L" equals field, from old depth charts. Seems like Strait was boundary FR and SR, and field during Woolfolk time. Regardless, seemed about 90% zone back then.

Fun looking back at those old charts!

Did Heinecke really play the '01 Nebraska game at 6-1, 218? Amazing.
http://www.huskermax.com/games/2001/okla-depth-chart.pdf

Stooper
1/14/2013, 05:42 PM
Staying!!! According to a statement by Stoops on soonersports.com

Widescreen
1/14/2013, 05:46 PM
Pleased but not surprised.

badger
1/14/2013, 05:52 PM
Staying (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20130114_92_0_NORMAN126988).

Hope he makes the most of his final year!

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/14/2013, 06:26 PM
Going off "R" equals boundary and "L" equals field, from old depth charts. Seems like Strait was boundary FR and SR, and field during Woolfolk time. Regardless, seemed about 90% zone back then.

Fun looking back at those old charts!

Did Heinecke really play the '01 Nebraska game at 6-1, 218? Amazing.
http://www.huskermax.com/games/2001/okla-depth-chart.pdf

Guys like Heinecke and Steffan are what I think we need on D. Those guys with the non-stop motor that make the unit more than the sum of its parts.

SoonerStormchaser
1/14/2013, 06:34 PM
Finally...we have a smart junior on the team!!! The rest of the declare-ees are morons, IMO

VA Sooner
1/14/2013, 07:55 PM
Great news! Will be good to have him back next year and as a leader for the defense. I suspect his stock will improve with another year of playing time.

MyT Oklahoma
1/14/2013, 11:33 PM
I'm glad he's coming back and I hope that this decision works out to be the best one for him.

kevpks
1/15/2013, 09:13 AM

On the flip side, there are guys like Keenan Clayton, Jimmy Wilkerson, or Dominique Franks who had or are having more productive NFL careers than their time as Sooners might have indicated. I remember how shocked I was when Eric Bassey made the Rams roster. The jump to the next level is unpredictable unless you are AD. We all knew how that was going to turn out.

LRoss
1/15/2013, 10:03 AM
Fantastic. I've seen him beaten up too much in the moments where he's looked bad, but I feel like that just happens to a db when everybody throws 60x a game. He was one of the bright spots on D all told, and should be a real force next year, IMH(and mostly un-informed)O.

OkieThunderLion
1/15/2013, 11:52 AM
On the flip side, there are guys like Keenan Clayton, Jimmy Wilkerson, or Dominique Franks who had or are having more productive NFL careers than their time as Sooners might have indicated. I remember how shocked I was when Eric Bassey made the Rams roster. The jump to the next level is unpredictable unless you are AD. We all knew how that was going to turn out.

Bassey ran a 4.3. I wasn't surprised he became a NFL special-teamer. Just never found a feel for playing DB though.

Curly Bill
1/15/2013, 11:58 AM
Colvin could have a really big year for us. I'm usually for guys going pro when they can, Stills and Jefferson for example, but I think Colvin could really benefit from coming back. Here's hoping he has a big and injury-free year!

rock on sooner
1/15/2013, 04:06 PM
Colvin was just highlighted on College Football Live about his
reurn because of "unfinished business".

C&CDean
1/15/2013, 04:27 PM
Colvin was just highlighted on College Football Live about his
reurn because of "unfinished business".

Yeah, but unfortunately I've listened to about 10+ players over the past couple years say they were coming back for the same reason.

rock on sooner
1/15/2013, 04:30 PM
Yeah, but unfortunately I've listened to about 10+ players over the past couple years say they were coming back for the same reason.

Maybe he just wants to get his degree..:wink:

sooneron
1/15/2013, 04:31 PM
Bassey ran a 4.3. I wasn't surprised he became a NFL special-teamer. Just never found a feel for playing DB though.

Probably because he was shoe horned into safety and then returned to CB. He never had time to develop a true skill set for one position or the other. I think he just bit on a Josh Fields' play fake...

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/15/2013, 04:39 PM
Probably because he was shoe horned into safety and then returned to CB. He never had time to develop a true skill set for one position or the other. I think he just bit on a Josh Fields' play fake...

Bassey's biggest problem was that he couldn't tackle. He'd run alongside the ball carrier for 20 yards herding him to the sidelines before pushing him out. He would have been a decent player if not for that fact. If I remember right, he basically won us that Alabama game in 2002.

OkieThunderLion
1/15/2013, 05:02 PM
Bassey's biggest problem was that he couldn't tackle. He'd run alongside the ball carrier for 20 yards herding him to the sidelines before pushing him out. He would have been a decent player if not for that fact. If I remember right, he basically won us that Alabama game in 2002.

People complaining about OU special team miscues, of more recent years, need to go look at that game again. Good grief! And that was with Jonathan Hayes on watch, also.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/15/2013, 05:15 PM
People complaining about OU special team miscues, of more recent years, need to go look at that game again. Good grief! And that was with Jonathan Hayes on watch, also.

Franchionne was always good at special teams trickeration. Whenever the Ags stop paying him I'd like to see us hire him as a ST Coordinator.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/16/2013, 12:05 PM
You should be banned for using the word "trickeration."

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/16/2013, 12:11 PM
You should be banned for using the word "trickeration."

The aptly named "Reese's" Halftime show.

Not sure how it is possible, but Reece Davis finally pushed Linda Soundtrack off the pinnacle of my most annoying voices of all time list.