PDA

View Full Version : K-Cup machine help

8timechamps
1/13/2013, 08:38 PM
I've had my K-cup coffee machine for over a year, and recently it's only brewing about half a cup (sometimes less). I've read through the manual, and done the whole de-scale thing (run white vinegar through the machine, etc). It'll run fine for a cup or two afterward, then it's back to the same 1/2 cup shenanigans. The display says to de-scale, so I can only assume it's still an internal issue.

I recently bought a filter that you put in the tank, because I typically use tap water (which I'm sure leads to the build-up), but I still have the 1/2 cup issue.

Has anyone had this happen, and what did you do to fix the problem?

Midtowner
1/13/2013, 08:56 PM
Yes. I've stuck a bent paperclip up the needle part which is exposed when the K-cup holding part is open and cleaned out blockages there. From time to time, coffee or whatever will go up the downspout and gum things up.

rock on sooner
1/13/2013, 09:03 PM
Directions are specific, use filtered or distilled water. The minerals are
doing you in.

okiewaker
1/13/2013, 09:46 PM
Throw it in the garbage and getcha $7.99 percolator. JMO

Midtowner
1/13/2013, 09:56 PM

Keurigs are pretty good when all you want is one cup. Most of the time, I grind my own and use the little plastic K-cup insert thing, but occasionally will enjoy some of their hot apple cider cups. That stuff is delicious.

They're convenient as heck, but also ridiculously expensive.

8timechamps
1/13/2013, 10:08 PM
Directions are specific, use filtered or distilled water. The minerals are
doing you in.

I know, I know, but when I'm out and need coffee, I just use tap water.

Over the weekend, I found a filter that you put over the intake (in the water tank), it's made by Kuerig and has interchangeable charcoal filters. Now, if only I had this when I first bought the damn thing.

8timechamps
1/13/2013, 10:08 PM
Yes. I've stuck a bent paperclip up the needle part which is exposed when the K-cup holding part is open and cleaned out blockages there. From time to time, coffee or whatever will go up the downspout and gum things up.

I think that's what I'll have to do. I've done that before, but always feel like I'm going to screw it up.

8timechamps
1/13/2013, 10:10 PM

Like Midtowner said, it's just so damn convenient. It's also nice to have various coffee selections (plus tea and hot chocolate for the boy). I still have a regular brewer, and I'll use that on the weekends, when I'm going to drink more than one cup.

okiewaker
1/13/2013, 10:15 PM
I go for taste. Ain't gonna get much better than drinking coffee from a well seasoned percolator, IMO. I've had mine for 30 yrs,, no probs with calcium buildup. Very forgiving machine.

Midtowner
1/13/2013, 10:21 PM
When I go for taste, I buy high quality beans roasted locally, grind 'em in my burr grinder and then into the French Press.

Most of the time though, I want quick caffeine and it's hard to beat the just-expired box of K-cups (I'm not really sure how coffee sealed in a plastic cup can go bad) I found online for that purpose.

bluedogok
1/13/2013, 10:28 PM
I bought a Kuerig when I moved up here, used bottled water until we moved into the rental. We bought a Pur faucet filter here but it won't work on the faucet at the new house, it is yours if you want it, it needs a new filter. We will be using bottled water for now but may get an undercounter water filter but that will require coring the granite countertop.

okiewaker
1/13/2013, 10:29 PM
Heh,,so you buy expired coffee for taste? How is buying your own beans, then grinding them in a French press, then putting them into the little k-cups considered a convenience? Lol, think my percolator is more of a convenience.

Midtowner
1/13/2013, 10:29 PM
Heh,,so you buy expired coffee for taste? How is buying your own beans, then grinding them in a French press, then putting them into the little k-cups considered a convenience? Lol, think my percolator is more of a convenience.

I buy the expired K-cups 'cuz the grocery store cups are a rip off. If I'm drinking for taste, I'd never go near that swill.

8timechamps
1/13/2013, 10:31 PM
I bought a Kuerig when I moved up here, used bottled water until we moved into the rental. We bought a Pur faucet filter here but it won't work on the faucet at the new house, it is yours if you want it, it needs a new filter. We will be using bottled water for now but may get an undercounter water filter but that will require coring the granite countertop.

I found the filter attachment at Target over the weekend ($20), I figure it'll save me the bottled water cost in the long run. Honestly, I'm not home enough to use the faucet filter, thanks for the offer though. Put it on Craigslist.

8timechamps
1/13/2013, 10:36 PM
I go for taste. Ain't gonna get much better than drinking coffee from a well seasoned percolator, IMO. I've had mine for 30 yrs,, no probs with calcium buildup. Very forgiving machine.

I do admit to loving coffee from the percolator (I use one for camping). I've found some really good coffee for the K-cup, so I'm not really sacrificing taste.

I also have a friend that owns a local coffee company* that roasts beans. I've stopped by his place and he's ground beans right out of the roaster and made coffee...incredible. I've never had a better cup of coffee in my life. He told me that once the beans are roasted, they start losing their flavor profile almost immediately, and unless you can grind and brew them immediately, all beans lose flavor regardless of brewing method.

The name of the company is Dazbog Coffee, I think they sell online....really good stuff.

olevetonahill
1/13/2013, 10:42 PM
You Bunch of dayum Fags are whats wrong with this country! Turn in yer Man cards . Drink Coffee the way God intended.
http://www.campingblogger.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/campfire-coffee.jpg

Bunch of dayum Fags.

okiewaker
1/13/2013, 10:50 PM
I'll have to try that company. I do have a keurig but I never use it. Coffee is very bitter, no matter what little k-cup brand I use. I've tried almost all out the sample box,,,,all were either bitter or too strong. Went back to the percolater.

bluedogok
1/13/2013, 11:30 PM
I got it because my friend whose place I was staying at doesn't drink coffee and it was a quick way to get one cup in the morning on the way to work, but I'm not a real big coffee guy either. It was strictly as a matter of convenience.

Never tried Dazbog but I pass one on the way to work and there is one out on our end of town.

olevetonahill
1/13/2013, 11:38 PM
http://rlv.zcache.com/a_coffee_drinkers_mug-p168910633697780718uhpr_400.jpg

http://www.coffeeamp.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/brass-knuckles-coffee-mug-297x300.jpg

okiewaker
1/14/2013, 12:08 AM
Mcd's coffee > Starbucks coffee

Midtowner
1/14/2013, 12:45 AM

'cept when you spill it in your lap.

hawaii 5-0
1/14/2013, 01:23 AM
My ownership in Green Mountain Coffee Roasters thanks all of you Keurig and K-Cup users.

5-0

Curly Bill
1/14/2013, 08:43 AM
When I go for taste, I buy high quality beans roasted locally, grind 'em in my burr grinder and then into the French Press.

Most of the time though, I want quick caffeine and it's hard to beat the just-expired box of K-cups (I'm not really sure how coffee sealed in a plastic cup can go bad) I found online for that purpose.

French Press for the win!

rock on sooner
1/14/2013, 11:36 AM
You Bunch of dayum Fags are whats wrong with this country! Turn in yer Man cards . Drink Coffee the way God intended.

Bunch of dayum Fags.

Can't believe you waited 15 posts to break some balls!!!!:biggrin:

olevetonahill
1/14/2013, 11:41 AM
Can't believe you waited 15 posts to break some balls!!!!:biggrin:

I wernt home before that.

I was out having me a cup of Double Crapachino er some shat.

I have Never in my life set foot inside a Star Bucks or anyother Sissy assed Coffee joint

TheHumanAlphabet
1/14/2013, 11:54 AM
Keurigs are pretty good when all you want is one cup. Most of the time, I grind my own and use the little plastic K-cup insert thing, but occasionally will enjoy some of their hot apple cider cups. That stuff is delicious.

You may not care, but something we do agree on... ;)

8timechamps
1/14/2013, 08:09 PM

I absolutely agree.

In fact, I think McD's makes a damn fine cup of joe. Starbucks drip is way to bitter for me.

FirstandGoal
1/14/2013, 08:37 PM
I don't know what I would do without my Keurig.

I'm the only coffee drinker in the house so making anything more than 1 cup makes absolutely no sense. I have a brita water pitcher that sits in the door of my fridge and I just pour water from that into my Keurig and haven't had a problem so far. My daughter loves the Keurig for her hot chocolate (although I haven't found a brand I really like yet) and I've always been meaning to try some of the herbal teas.
My fave coffee to get is the Newman's Own medium because its organic and coffee is a heavily sprayed crop.

Whoever said that McD's>>Starbuck's is absolutely right. Right by where I live there is a McD's and Starbucks right next to each other and I love to laugh my *** off at the peeps paying quadruple the price for that crap when I can go next door to McD's and get a coffee and an egg McMuffin for the price of a coffee over there.

olevetonahill
1/14/2013, 08:42 PM

I'm the only coffee drinker in the house so making anything more than 1 cup makes absolutely no sense. I have a brita water pitcher that sits in the door of my fridge and I just pour water from that into my Keurig and haven't had a problem so far. My daughter loves the Keurig for her hot chocolate (although I haven't found a brand I really like yet) and I've always been meaning to try some of the herbal teas.
My fave coffee to get is the Newman's Own medium because its organic and coffee is a heavily sprayed crop.

Whoever said that McD's>>Starbuck's is absolutely right. Right by where I live there is a McD's and Starbucks right next to each other and I love to laugh my *** off at the peeps paying quadruple the price for that crap when I can go next door to McD's and get a coffee and an egg McMuffin for the price of a coffee over there.

Yea , But yer a Gurl and Gurls are Possed to drink sissy dranks.
The Only Letter Cups I want around me are Cs an Ds Maybe a few Es from time to time

sanantoniosooner
1/14/2013, 08:52 PM
I don't drink coffee. The keurig lets me accommodate my wife, friends and family easily with whatever fancy flavor they want. And you can use the screen filter for regular coffee in it if you want to save money.

It gets a thumbs up from me.

FirstandGoal
1/14/2013, 08:52 PM
The Only Letter Cups I want around me are Cs an Ds Maybe a few Es from time to time

:rolleyes:

What-ever! I can remember doing a few snorts of teh OVJ last year during some tailgates rather than drinking any kind of sissified drinks then.

olevetonahill
1/14/2013, 08:55 PM
:rolleyes:

What-ever! I can remember doing a few snorts of teh OVJ last year during some tailgates rather than drinking any kind of sissified drinks then.

Well That shows yer Tuf. But these Sissy dudes talkin about "I Grind My OWN beans" I Only drink this or I only drink that. Bunch of dayum Fags. Drink the OVJ and chase it with Boiled Coffee /

Turd_Ferguson
1/14/2013, 09:45 PM
Well That shows yer Tuf. But these Sissy dudes talkin about "I Grind My OWN beans" I Only drink this or I only drink that. Bunch of dayum Fags. Drink the OVJ and chase it with Boiled Coffee /

Mmmmm...OVJ. My little bottle you gave me last time is empty:blue:

olevetonahill
1/14/2013, 09:47 PM
Mmmmm...OVJ. My little bottle you gave me last time is empty:blue:

Guess ya orta come down fer a visit huh?

okiewaker
1/14/2013, 10:11 PM
Never had OVJ. Does it involve grinding beans?

diverdog
1/14/2013, 10:37 PM

Bunch of dayum Fags.

Funny. That looks an awful lot like my old Cabelas coffee pot.

bluedogok
1/14/2013, 11:29 PM

The K-Cup sweet tea is pretty good.

olevetonahill
1/15/2013, 01:23 AM
Never had OVJ. Does it involve grinding beans?

Naw more Like a Little Corn grindin :D

rock on sooner
1/15/2013, 09:41 AM

Better watch them E's, I unnerstand ifn they get to swangin
a feller might get a concussion..

olevetonahill
1/15/2013, 10:01 AM
Better watch them E's, I unnerstand ifn they get to swangin
a feller might get a concussion..

But what a way to go!

soonerboomer93
1/15/2013, 10:22 AM
You can always buy one of the pur (brita and a couple other make them also) filter pitchers though. I use one of them.

olevetonahill
1/15/2013, 11:15 AM
Funny. That looks an awful lot like my old Cabelas coffee pot.

You may Vote and think like a Gurl but at least ya drank Coffee like a man.

Curly Bill
1/15/2013, 11:24 AM
Speaking of grinding your own coffee beans...Other day at the Walmarts (Vet's favorite store) I grabbed a bag of Dunkin Donuts coffee; I get home only to discover that I'd accidently grabbed a bag of whole bean. Now I gots to get me a coffee grinder. I guess if I do I can go whole bean from here on out!

olevetonahill
1/15/2013, 11:26 AM
Speaking of grinding your own coffee beans...Other day at the Walmarts (Vet's favorite store) I grabbed a bag of Dunkin Donuts coffee; I get home only to discover that I'd accidently grabbed a bag of whole bean. Now I gots to get me a coffee grinder. I guess if I do I can go whole bean from here on out!

Phag :very_drunk:

Curly Bill
1/15/2013, 11:28 AM
Phag :very_drunk:

Naw, I'll mix in some gunpowder when I grind em up! ;)

olevetonahill
1/15/2013, 11:30 AM
Naw, I'll mix in some gunpowder when I grind em up! ;)

Well I guess thats OK then. :excitement:

rock on sooner
1/15/2013, 11:41 AM
Well I guess thats OK then. :excitement:

Jus keep away from open flame...

sanantoniosooner
1/15/2013, 12:05 PM
Vets issues with beans and open flames is well documented.

olevetonahill
1/15/2013, 12:38 PM
Vets issues with beans and open flames is well documented.

?

sanantoniosooner
1/15/2013, 12:48 PM
Can a guy make a flaming fart joke around here anymore?

Mjcpr
1/15/2013, 12:55 PM

They have classed up the joint since you left.

olevetonahill
1/15/2013, 01:06 PM

Guess ya can, I got no Prob with it. Just curious how its well Documented with ME .

sanantoniosooner
1/15/2013, 01:19 PM
I was shooting more for funny than accurate.

DISCLAIMER: I have no knowledge, implied or actual, relating to the existence of documentation regarding the involvement of beans, pattern of discharge, or frequency of ignition concerning Olevet, posse members, or prior/existing pets. Mjcpr is another matter.

diverdog
1/16/2013, 01:56 AM
You may Vote and think like a Gurl but at least ya drank Coffee like a man.

When I camp I love getting up and smelling the coffee on the camp fire. Add the bacon frying in the cast iron skillet and you have the start for a pretty good day.

Have you ever drank Mexican coffee? I was given it on my second day of working on my uncles ranch. It is coffee mixed with tequila. Helped with the soreness from riding a horse all day. To this day I still drink it.

8timechamps
1/16/2013, 04:58 PM

If you're going back to the Walmart you got 'em from , they should have a grinder there (in the coffee section). I know at the grocery stores they do.

picasso
1/19/2013, 11:59 AM

They both suck. As does the K-cup machine. But I've found that the cups with the best jolt are from Starbucks.

I have a Krups espresso maker, bitches.

picasso
1/19/2013, 12:00 PM
It's a pain when you're in a hurry but worth it for the taste!

Lott's Bandana
1/19/2013, 03:32 PM
I have a new Keurig I got as a present from my daughter. I use it when I have to leave in the morning so I don't waste brew, otherwise I still use the ole percolator.

I do love really really good quality coffee, but since I learned to drink joe on the mid-watch at sea, I'm not picky at all and will pretty much drink any coffee...except Cain's.

The San Francisco alternative cups are pretty darn good, and a great deal. Instead of plastic, the coffee sits in a filter and creates less waste, and can be found on Amazon for $33.00 for 80 units. Dayum good deal and the brew ain't bad, but again...I"m not that picky. Worth a try to those that want to save some $$$.

8timechamps
1/19/2013, 04:56 PM
They both suck. As does the K-cup machine. But I've found that the cups with the best jolt are from Starbucks.

You're absolutely correct...about Starbucks.

I'm not an espresso drinker, so I think it all tastes like burnt coffee with a little tar mixed in.

8timechamps
1/19/2013, 04:58 PM
I have a new Keurig I got as a present from my daughter. I use it when I have to leave in the morning so I don't waste brew, otherwise I still use the ole percolator.

I do love really really good quality coffee, but since I learned to drink joe on the mid-watch at sea, I'm not picky at all and will pretty much drink any coffee...except Cain's.

The San Francisco alternative cups are pretty darn good, and a great deal. Instead of plastic, the coffee sits in a filter and creates less waste, and can be found on Amazon for $33.00 for 80 units. Dayum good deal and the brew ain't bad, but again...I"m not that picky. Worth a try to those that want to save some $$$.

No question it's a matter of convenience. I like the Donut Shop cups (they have a light blue top with a donut on it), but I've tried a few of Gloria Jean's that I like too.

picasso
1/19/2013, 05:13 PM
You're absolutely correct...about Starbucks.

I'm not an espresso drinker, so I think it all tastes like burnt coffee with a little tar mixed in.
If it's made right it's wonderful. I steam some milk with mine for the frothy topping. If you live in Denver then there HAS to be some pretentious, snobby coffee dive that makes the good pure stuff.

olevetonahill
1/19/2013, 05:20 PM
Know how I know Yall are Ghey?

picasso
1/19/2013, 07:47 PM
Ah Vet, it's no different than making your own windage.:chuncky:

8timechamps
1/19/2013, 08:46 PM
If it's made right it's wonderful. I steam some milk with mine for the frothy topping. If you live in Denver then there HAS to be some pretentious, snobby coffee dive that makes the good pure stuff.

I'm sure I've never had it done the right way. You're not the first person I've heard that really liked it. I'm sure I could find a place in Boulder that fits the bill of a pretentious, snobby coffee dive...I may have a new quest for this week.

8timechamps
1/19/2013, 08:47 PM

If you're a regular coffee drinker, and you got your hands on a K-cup machine, I bet your tune would change. I know, because I was the same way. If nothing else, the convenience of the damn thing is addicting.

olevetonahill
1/19/2013, 10:41 PM
Ah Vet, it's no different than making your own windage.:chuncky:

Ya mean my Flapaarsehole?

olevetonahill
1/19/2013, 10:43 PM
If you're a regular coffee drinker, and you got your hands on a K-cup machine, I bet your tune would change. I know, because I was the same way. If nothing else, the convenience of the damn thing is addicting.

I drank a Pot a day, Ima thinkin the 1 cup at a time would just pizz me off.

sanantoniosooner
1/19/2013, 10:46 PM
Doesn't getting older and being pizzed off go hand in hand?

The empirical evidence is pretty strong :D

olevetonahill
1/19/2013, 10:51 PM
Doesn't getting older and being pizzed off go hand in hand?

The empirical evidence is pretty strong :D

**** if I know,

8timechamps
1/19/2013, 11:43 PM

Yeah, if you get the time to drink a pot, I can understand. I probably drink close to a pot, but it's always a different places.

Curly Bill
1/19/2013, 11:47 PM
I look over to my right on this page and see an add for Keurig - must be magic!

FirstandGoal
1/20/2013, 07:46 PM

Oh backintheday I was right there with you on the pot of coffee a day dealio. Then I realized I had to start drinking lots of water and I cleaned up my diet and I just cannot do more than a cup or two a day.

Seriously guys, if you're drinking lots of coffee please, please, please consider an organic brand. Coffee is a very heavily sprayed crop and the main reason I even got a Keurig was so that I could buy the Newman's Own Organic and not have to depend on getting my coffee at a convenience store in the mornings.
Not only is it cheaper (I can score the K-cups at Sam's for about .50/cup) but I feel okay about consuming it every day.

StoopTroup
1/21/2013, 09:50 PM

Because you keep inviting dudes to your house to drink liquor with you?

soonerinabilene
1/21/2013, 10:02 PM
Folgers, Mr Coffee, and a paper filter, just the way my grandpa taught me.

olevetonahill
1/21/2013, 10:03 PM
Folgers, Mr Coffee, and a paper filter, just the way my grandpa taught me.

:very_drunk:

sanantoniosooner
1/21/2013, 11:20 PM
My life includes many upgrades over what my grandfather had.

Grandpa didn't spend any time on the internet for a start.

8timechamps
1/21/2013, 11:25 PM
My grandma used a Mr. Coffee. But, she also grew her own alfalfa sprouts in a jar covered with her pantyhose, under the sink. My grandma and I don't have much in common.

nutinbutdust
1/22/2013, 12:43 AM
I have never bought into the k-cup. I am addicted to my Bunn. 3 minutes to a whole pot..... yummmm major caffeine addict here.

olevetonahill
1/22/2013, 02:22 AM
My grandma used a Mr. Coffee. But, she also grew her own alfalfa sprouts in a jar covered with her pantyhose, under the sink. My grandma and I don't have much in common.

My Grandpa was a MANs Man, He coulda prolly whooped yer Grandma.

soonerinabilene
1/22/2013, 06:41 AM
My life includes many upgrades, as well. It also includes lessons learned from my grandpa, like how to tie a fish hook, how to drive a stick, and that things like a $199 coffee maker that requires special water and a lot of maintenance vs a $7.99 coffee maker that's lasted 12 years and still going isn't an upgrade that I need.

sanantoniosooner
1/22/2013, 08:43 AM
My grandpa was an *** and I wouldn't trust most of what he said.

But my dad, who was a tightwad and would own the one you mentioned, also taught me to use the right tool for the job. With the diverse group that visits my house and the sporadic use in between it suits our needs. To imply we're stupid, gay, or in any way less of a person for owning one is ignorant.

I'm laughing at those who rebel against technology while posting on the internet.

olevetonahill
1/22/2013, 08:53 AM

But my dad, who was a tightwad and would own the one you mentioned, also taught me to use the right tool for the job. With the diverse group that visits my house and the sporadic use in between it suits our needs. To imply we're stupid, gay, or in any way less of a person for owning one is ignorant.

I'm laughing at those who rebel against technology while posting on the internet.

http://www.troll.me/images/business-cat-needs/serious-cat-is-serious.jpg

soonerinabilene
1/22/2013, 08:57 AM

I never implied anything like that, nor am I rebelling against technology. I just don't need or want this particular advancement.

sanantoniosooner
1/22/2013, 04:44 PM
LOL

"I'm old school...I'll post a cat to show just how old school I am"

8timechamps
1/22/2013, 05:03 PM
I never implied anything like that, nor am I rebelling against technology. I just don't need or want this particular advancement.

Quit rebeling against technology! The robots will take over someday, and they'll remember people like you.

sanantoniosooner
1/22/2013, 06:36 PM
BTW...does serious cat still want me to explain how I have research information regarding his farting habits?