PDA

View Full Version : Got another DT commitment last night...

VA Sooner
1/13/2013, 12:55 PM
Up to three commits for the upcoming year... especially with the JUCO player, Quincy, coming in we should have a little experience on the line to add to Ndulue.

http://espn.go.com/blog/colleges/oklahoma/post/_/id/18330/three-star-dt-walker-finds-a-home

Soonerjeepman
1/13/2013, 01:24 PM
North Texas and Houston, New Mexico...

sorry if I don't get over enthused. Not bashing the kid, we'll see.

birddog
1/13/2013, 01:28 PM
pffffft. got a long way to go before we can get excited about the players we're bringing in.

freshchris05
1/13/2013, 01:59 PM
Jeepman, do you not like the name Charles or something? You're not bashing this kid in like 3 threads. Have you checked out his film? He has talent and size, it's past injuries that have his offer cupboard unimpressive. Let's hope he comes in with a chip.

picasso
1/13/2013, 02:51 PM
North Texas and Houston, New Mexico...

sorry if I don't get over enthused. Not bashing the kid, we'll see.

Good lord, you said the same on the recruiting board. Weak.

budbarrybob
1/13/2013, 03:45 PM
I'm glad we have someone that is a DT recruit. But... yeah I have to agree with SJM. Not gonna get excited about a recruit that we're competing with NT, Houston and NM to get.

Curly Bill
1/13/2013, 04:01 PM
I'm glad we have someone that is a DT recruit. But... yeah I have to agree with SJM. Not gonna get excited about a recruit that we're competing with NT, Houston and NM to get.

You forgot Texas State!

OUNASH
1/13/2013, 04:30 PM
I have been bashing this recruiting class just like everyone else, however, I hope they prove all of us wrong and bring to OU what we have been missing heart and a love for all things OU. Seems like alot of the kids we have brought in the last several years are more concerned about getting to the NFL. Heres hoping these klids can help bring number 8 to OU.

8timechamps
1/13/2013, 04:39 PM
This class is fine. Not the best Stoops has landed (although it's not over yet), nor is it the worst. It's impossible to know how a recruit will turn out until he gets a chance to play. Personally, I think Walker will be a solid player, but we probably won't see him until after his redshirt year.

SoonerDood
1/13/2013, 04:43 PM
Wasn't Bob's most highly ranked class the one we got in 03? that one sure turned out well...

goingoneight
1/13/2013, 05:21 PM
The most-hyped recruiting classes were the 2003, 2004 and 2008 classes. As for the ones fans were angry or unimpressed with 1999, 2000, 2006.

I distinctly remember a bunch of angry fans mouthing off in 2006 because we "settled" for Sam Bradford and Joey Halzle instead of landing Mitch Mustain, Jevan Snead, Tim Tebow and Matthew Stafford. We "struck out" so badly that we ended up with a Heisman Trophy Winner and a solid 3-year backup.

A player is a player as far as I'm concerned right now. I'm sorry, but 5 stars left and right doesn't excite me. Sure, it's great to get Jameel Owens, Dejuan Miller and Josh Jarboe on NSD... but four years later when two of them never saw the field and one never cracked 500 yards receiving in a weak conference like the BIG 12? Gimme anybody who fits the mold of what we need for now and let them work for it-- whether they're 5-star ADs or 3-star Sam Bradfords. Aaron Colvin is a prime example of this.

Soonerjeepman
1/13/2013, 05:33 PM
Jeepman, do you not like the name Charles or something? You're not bashing this kid in like 3 threads. Have you checked out his film? He has talent and size, it's past injuries that have his offer cupboard unimpressive. Let's hope he comes in with a chip.

LOL...show me where I said anything bashing? all I said was OU is competing against schools like NM, Houston, NT, Txstate for this kid and I am not getting excited about this guy. I actually asked both 75 and 8time what their opinion was IF you actually read my message.

I questioned OU recruiting against these schools and not the big boys. I also said I know we've had success with 3 star guys but I was GOING TO WAIT til he played. Obviously I hope he pans out. I honestly don't get too excited about recruiting, just responding to the hub-bub about it.

Never said one thing bad about him..just for your info.

Soonerjeepman
1/13/2013, 05:35 PM
Good lord, you said the same on the recruiting board. Weak.

see above post..could care less what you think...you forgot the word "sauce"..

Soonerjeepman
1/13/2013, 05:38 PM
The most-hyped recruiting classes were the 2003, 2004 and 2008 classes. As for the ones fans were angry or unimpressed with 1999, 2000, 2006.

I distinctly remember a bunch of angry fans mouthing off in 2006 because we "settled" for Sam Bradford and Joey Halzle instead of landing Mitch Mustain, Jevan Snead, Tim Tebow and Matthew Stafford. We "struck out" so badly that we ended up with a Heisman Trophy Winner and a solid 3-year backup.

A player is a player as far as I'm concerned right now. I'm sorry, but 5 stars left and right doesn't excite me. Sure, it's great to get Jameel Owens, Dejuan Miller and Josh Jarboe on NSD... but four years later when two of them never saw the field and one never cracked 500 yards receiving in a weak conference like the BIG 12? Gimme anybody who fits the mold of what we need for now and let them work for it-- whether they're 5-star ADs or 3-star Sam Bradfords. Aaron Colvin is a prime example of this.

could care-less about "stars"....yes I agree some 3 star guys turn out better than 4/5 star guys. All I said was not getting excited...honestly about any recruits til they play.

I do question recruiting against the likes of Houston, NM, NT, texas st...I know some guys are not highly recruited. We'll see.

Curly Bill
1/13/2013, 06:18 PM
Don't worry about it jeep. Some peeps forget this is a message board where we are supposed to discuss things if we're so inclined. Some folks feel if you're not drinking the Kool Aid you're not a true fan, shouldn't post "bad thoughts," etc...Ignore them, or better yet make fun of them.

8timechamps
1/13/2013, 06:28 PM
The example I typically use to ease the "nobody else recruited him" concern is Quinton Carter, he had interest from UCLA and Oregon State, but no offers. After OU offered, the PAC 12 teams rushed in to offer, but Q had already committed. There are tons of players out there with similar circumstances, Q is just a more recent example, and a guy everyone remembers. He ended up being pretty darn good. (and DAMN do I wish he was healthy for the Broncos last night!).

Curly Bill
1/13/2013, 06:30 PM
The example I typically use to ease the "nobody else recruited him" concern is Quinton Carter, he had interest from UCLA and Oregon State, but no offers. After OU offered, the PAC 12 teams rushed in to offer, but Q had already committed. There are tons of players out there with similar circumstances, Q is just a more recent example, and a guy everyone remembers. He ended up being pretty darn good. (and DAMN do I wish he was healthy for the Broncos last night!).

Football coaches are the biggest sheep there are, so it's no surprise that when a program like OU offers someone that other programs jump on board and do the same, or at least strongly consider it. And I'm glad the Broncos lost!

8timechamps
1/13/2013, 06:31 PM
Football coaches are the biggest sheep there are, so it's no surprise that when a program like OU offers someone that other programs jump on board and do the same, or at least strongly consider it. And I'm glad the Broncos lost!

You a$$.

Curly Bill
1/13/2013, 06:34 PM
You a$$.

Sorry, I just didn't think I could take any more Peyton Manning is the greatest thing since sliced bread talk. And besides, the Ravens were the underdog and all things being equal I'll pull for the underdog.

picasso
1/13/2013, 06:54 PM
see above post..could care less what you think...you forgot the word "sauce"..

Yet you replied to my comment. Weak.

picasso
1/13/2013, 06:56 PM
Don't worry about it jeep. Some peeps forget this is a message board where we are supposed to discuss things if we're so inclined. Some folks feel if you're not drinking the Kool Aid you're not a true fan, shouldn't post "bad thoughts," etc...Ignore them, or better yet make fun of them.

I'm exercising my right to stupidity. Same as you.

Curly Bill
1/13/2013, 07:02 PM
I'm exercising my right to stupidity. Same as you.

Huh? Make sense!

goingoneight
1/13/2013, 07:06 PM
What I'm saying is if he's 285-300 lbs and a DT... we need guys like him right now. Whether he's a rivals 5-star or a guy with only two offers. We could use a few good TEs, a FB and a LB or two also. A player is a player when you're dangerously thin or have nothing at all.

Seamus
1/13/2013, 09:05 PM
Yet you replied to my comment. Weak.

LOL :pop:

OkieThunderLion
1/13/2013, 09:13 PM

I think 2010 was the most hyped class. Though, 2004 had the super-stars (Bomar, Peterson, and Patterson, I think).

goingoneight
1/13/2013, 09:55 PM
2008 was by far. Every single game in 2007, every announcer kept mentioning how Stoops was raking it in with 2008 recruiting and every story about the 2008 class was that it was not only going to be Stoops's best, but maybe OU's best ever. I think the early commitments from the name guys was what was driving that hype machine. But there's no question that the 2008 class was over-hyped. The best thing we got was what, Landry Jones? Tress Way? Good players in the class, but there were no Joe Washingtons, Lee Roy Selmons, Sam Bradfords or Jermaine Greshams in that class. No truly OU historic-elite guys like it was advertised.

8timechamps
1/13/2013, 10:01 PM
Perception is funny, I think 2008 was the most hyped class.

With Calhoun, Washington and Jarboe, we were going to be unstoppable....whoops.

8timechamps
1/13/2013, 10:02 PM
2008 was by far. Every single game in 2007, every announcer kept mentioning how Stoops was raking it in with 2008 recruiting and every story about the 2008 class was that it was not only going to be Stoops's best, but maybe OU's best ever. I think the early commitments from the name guys was what was driving that hype machine. But there's no question that the 2008 class was over-hyped. The best thing we got was what, Landry Jones? Tress Way? Good players in the class, but there were no Joe Washingtons, Lee Roy Selmons, Sam Bradfords or Jermaine Greshams in that class. No truly OU historic-elite guys like it was advertised.

It is interesting to think what could've been with the '08 class. Had everyone stayed and remained healthy, it could've been a national title kind of team.

texaspokieokie
1/14/2013, 09:51 AM
1975 was the best.

sooner KB
1/14/2013, 10:41 AM
Like I said in the recruiting board's thread, this appears to be Casey Walker's brother. Because of that I would be more inclined to see this as a legacy recruit than a case of just good scouting. Who knows though.

goingoneight
1/14/2013, 11:41 AM
My thoughts right now are that I wish we could land two Gerald McCoys, three Rocky Calmuses, a couple Roys or so. But who we've got is who we've got. As a fan, I'm willing to ride it out and be hopeful that these guys develop, stick with the program and play with a little more pride than what we saw in 2012. People forget how many "stars" McGee, McFarland, Washington and Wort had. Didn't help us out a lot in the end. I'll celebrate a big DT coming in whether he's got offers from Alabama and LSU or if he's just a Langston transfer right now. We need depth. We literally have to build a defense from the ground-up for 2013. A lot of the elite kids are laughing at/using OU offers after 2012. Much like they were after 1998. The program's got a lot of work to do to rebuild. I keep remembering the first two classes Stoops had. Between those two classes and shuffling players around here and there, we got back on track. Sort of like humble beginnings, if you will. AD's and Tommie Harrises would've been wearing burnt orange if we weren't out there getting it done and winning championships.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/14/2013, 12:46 PM
It is almost like I didn't just go through the list of Rivals Top DTs and point out that very few of them every turned out very good.

SoonerLB
1/14/2013, 02:16 PM
What I'm saying is if he's 285-300 lbs and a DT... we need guys like him right now. Whether he's a rivals 5-star or a guy with only two offers. We could use a few good TEs, a FB and a LB or two also. A player is a player when you're dangerously thin or have nothing at all.

Bingo!

Soonerjeepman
1/14/2013, 02:29 PM
LOL :pop:

oooh...he really got me didn't he..lol whatever bud.

picasso
1/14/2013, 03:07 PM
Look, I think we're all frustrated but I'm not ready to write off a kid because he's not rated highly or he's perceived to be leftover scraps for us.
We've had good success with the likes of Straight, Savage, English, Eldridge, etc..

Curly Bill
1/14/2013, 03:35 PM
Look, I think we're all frustrated but I'm not ready to write off a kid because he's not rated highly or he's perceived to be leftover scraps for us.
We've had good success with the likes of Straight, Savage, English, Eldridge, etc..

Agreed!

I think we're all venting a little, but know in the end that for the most part Bob & company do an admirable job of bringing in talent.

Widescreen
1/14/2013, 03:46 PM
It is almost like I didn't just go through the list of Rivals Top DTs and point out that very few of them every turned out very good.

Good point. Everyone needs to stop talking about this right now. jkm's already weighed in on it.

sanantoniosooner
1/14/2013, 04:32 PM
Good point. Everyone needs to stop talking about this right now. jkm's already weighed in on it.

Wasn't me. My jkm app on my phone alerted me as soon as he made a ruling and I dismissed anything said after that.

Soonerjeepman
1/14/2013, 04:43 PM

totally agree, I never once "wrote the kid off"..I know the bulk of OUr guys are the 2/3/4 star guys that work had and make themselves better. Just wasn't getting all gaga over a 3star guy when we HAD 4 star guys at DT that didn't do very well. Like you said, little frustrated we are not even mentioned with top ranked talent (that sometimes isn't worth jack!). We shall see.

rock on sooner
1/14/2013, 04:52 PM
At the risk of being Capt Obvious, Stoops and Co better do some over the
top recruiting this year and next. The DOK has an article projecting next
year's depth chart...it has 20 seniors, most of it on offense. The cupboard
will certainly be bare.

OkieThunderLion
1/14/2013, 05:15 PM
I do recall hearing Stoops say the 2010 class was probably his best class ever. Maybe we are basing our "hype" on different sources.

EatLeadCommie
1/14/2013, 05:17 PM
I'm not scoffing that he's a 3 star. He's got a good build and like somebody said, anybody where we are dangerously thin or have nothing at all is a good thing.

My concern is that he has a history of injury problems and Schmitty hasn't even broken him yet. lol

OkieThunderLion
1/14/2013, 05:23 PM
At the risk of being Capt Obvious, Stoops and Co better do some over the
top recruiting this year and next. The DOK has an article projecting next
year's depth chart...it has 20 seniors, most of it on offense. The cupboard
will certainly be bare.
Doesn't look bare to me...

'14 JR (16)
'15 SO (16)
'16 RFR (11)
'17 FR (19)

QB
B Bell* K Thompson* T Knight* C Thomas

RB D Brooks* K Ford
A Ross*
D Smith*

FB A Ripkowski

WR T Metoyer D Woods* A Bennett
D Neal J Smallwood
S Shepard KJ Young

TE S Grant*
T McNamara*

OT T Thompson* D Farniok* C Daimler
Dar Williams* N Hughes* J St John (JC)

OG A Shead* N Kasitati* K Marrs*

C T Darlington

DT T Peterson* M Anderson* J Wade* K Huggins
Dam Williams* J Phillips* Q Russell (JC)
C Walker

DE R Favors* P Lindley* M Dimon
C Ndulue* M Onuoha D Ward
G Grissom* C Tapper O Okoronwu

OLB A Franklin* E Striker J Evans

ILB F Shannon*

S Q Hayes* D Alexander
J Wilson* H Byrd
A Thomas

C T Franks* C Johnson* Z Sanchez* S Taylor
G Simon ?

K M Hunnicutt*

P J Barnett (JC)

goingoneight
1/14/2013, 05:51 PM
Other boards are saying there's trouble with Quincy Russell now academically. Just what we needed.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/14/2013, 06:22 PM
I do recall hearing Stoops say the 2010 class was probably his best class ever. Maybe we are basing our "hype" on different sources.

He said that in 2010 because he had so many Freshman ready to play. Any chance for it to be his best class vanished when Stills and Jefferson bailed early.

EatLeadCommie
1/14/2013, 06:40 PM
Other boards are saying there's trouble with Quincy Russell now academically. Just what we needed.

Not good if true. Devastating, in fact.

8timechamps
1/14/2013, 07:46 PM

There has been a rumor since Russell committed that there were academic issues. He's denied it, but where there's that kind of smoke, there's usually fire. Hopefully he'll get it worked out, but I'm not expecting him to come in and become a superstar either way.