PDA

View Full Version : Bob still expects to compete for NC

Soonerjeepman
1/12/2013, 12:04 PM
great, doesn't every coach...I've never said he needs fired but I have questioned his desire/drive..whatever he seemed to have early on. I did find it interesting he mentioned that OU PLAYS for the NC every 4 years...

"Every four years, within four years, we're competing for the national championship. In the game. I don't mean just part of it. In the game. You know, that's not good enough if you don't win it. That's just how people are. I get it. I don't care.

"All of what I just gave you is reality, right? I didn't make any of that up. It's all factual and true. No one else is doing it." Oklahoma defeated Florida State in the 2000 BCS Championship game and lost to LSU (2003), USC (2004) and Florida (2008) in title matchups.

hmmm, so we should have been playing in 2012 or this yr...right? 2008 + 4 is 2012.

Again, print is an ugly thing. BTW the M Stoop's comment on JM were uncalled for...jeeze you are a 50yr old coach/REPRESENTATIVE of the university...ya got your a$$ handed to ya, take your beating and move on. I on the other hand am just a fan so I can say what MS said! LOL

Therealsouthsider
1/12/2013, 12:56 PM
"That's just how people are. I get it. I don't care." Bob Stoops

...sad...and obviously it filters down to the team as well

SS

Soonerjeepman
1/12/2013, 01:07 PM
South...I see that as he doesn't care what the fans think. I honestly think it's great to at least get to play for the NC. I understand there are prob 114 teams out of the 119 D1 that would gladly switch places with OU. BUT, I do think he has lost some "drive"...but it is what it is. I just posted that because he was being pretty factual about the every 4 yrs deal.

Interesting he would state that. I do understand his point about being pretty good overall...but he is looking back over 7/8 heck 14 yrs. Bama has won it 3 out of 4 years...no cares what they did 7 yrs ago, they just know it's 3 out of 4 WINNING the NC.

SoonerNomad
1/12/2013, 01:53 PM
He hasn't lost any drive. Just a myth perpertuated by those jumping off the bandwagon of a team and coach that has failed to live up to his own lofty goals. He is working on fixing the problems as we speak. Is he perfect? Not even close. Has he lost his enthusiasm and drive for the job? No real evidence of that other than our own disappointment in not reaching the expectations.

Moore
1/12/2013, 02:44 PM
Please win more games bob

Widescreen
1/12/2013, 02:46 PM
He is working on fixing the problems as we speak.
You seem to have inside information. Would you care to share? He must be doing all this fixing in stealth mode since it's not too apparent (either in terms of visible action or results).

goingoneight
1/12/2013, 05:47 PM
I understand how people want a link to every quote... but as someone who pays attention to detail, I've grabbed a few quotes I've heard in recent years from former OU greats abotu Bob and his "lazy, complacent" staff who has no "fire" or "drive."

"Coach Stoops and his staff put in more hours on their jobs than anyone in any job I've ever seen or heard of before."
-Sam Bradford, at the Heisman Trophy ceremony in 2008

"Coach Stoops is really never away from the office. Everytime his phone rings, it's about football somehow."
-Ryan Broyles, radio interview earlier this year talking about his experience at Oklahoma

"Bob Stoops is one of the hardest-working coaches in the business and he holds his staff just as accountable as himself."
-Urban Meyer during his stint as a CFB analyst in 2011

Bob should still expect to compete for it. Hell, in the BCS era, one more win prior to the Cotton Bowl embarrassment (like, say... not playing Notre Dame this year) and we're right in the discussion after K-State got embarassed. It's sometimes just the luck of the draw. Notre Dame has been average or sucked for almost two decades til this year. A&M over a decade, themselves. OSU in 2011, the list goes on. If Bob were saying that he hopes to win a few more games next year or how he thinks we're looking great defensively, then I'd agree he's gone Bowden on us. It takes more than just saying it, though... he's got to stop being stubborn and has to stress the same to his staff in a lot of circumstances. The OSU 2011 gameplan still is among the worst I've ever seen from an OU staff going into a game. And I sat through some horrid experiences in the 90s.