PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Defense - Early prediction

8timechamps
1/11/2013, 11:57 PM
Here's my (really, really) early defensive depth chart:

D-Line

DE: Chuka Ndule (Rashod Favors, Charles Tapper)
DE: Geneo Grissom (Mike Onuoha, Chaz Davis)
DT: Jordan Phillips (Jordan Wade, Torrea Peterson, Marquis Anderson, Kerrick Huggins)
DT: Quincy Russell (Jordan Wade, Torrea Peterson, Marquis Anderson, Kerrick Huggins)

The only player from this group that I feel safe listing as a starter is Chuka Ndule. The DT position is far from being determined, and if Marquis Anderson can get to class and stay out of trouble, he could very well be a starter. Once again, Stoops is looking good at the ends, with five players that saw action in 2012, and a healthy JUCO player (Chaz Davis) that should make some noise.

Linebacker

OLB: Corey Nelson (Aaron Franklin)
MLB: Frank Shannon (Eric Striker)
NB: Julian Wilson (Gabe Lynn, Kass Everett)

This is an unknown position in terms of predictions. I think it's a safe assumption to list Nelson and Shannon as starters, but after that, it's anyone's guess. Eric Striker should see a lot more playing time in 2013, but after Striker and Franklin, there really isn't any depth. It'll be up to incoming players Dominique Alexander, and Jordan Evans to step up. Listing Wilson at the NB just seem logical (and kinda hopeful on my part...I'm hoping that Lynn gets moved back to safety).

D-Backs

CB: Aaron Colvin (Cortez Johnson, Kass Everett)
CB: Gary Simon (Cortez Johnson, Zack Sanchez)
SS: Gabe Lynn (Julian Wilson)
FS: Quentin Hayes

A lot can/will change here. Assuming Colvin comes back, that's one spot that there won't be any question. That's the only one. Gary Simon saw time in 2012, and will challenge Cortez Johnson for the open CB spot. Gabe Lynn is my guess (hope) for SS, but it will either be Lynn or Wilson (whoever gets the SS spot, the other will be the NB). Hayes should be the other safety, but he's missed a year and hopefully is out of the doghouse by the summer. A lot will be asked of incoming freshmen Hatari Bryd, Ahmad Thomas and Stanvon Taylor, but don't be surprised to see any (if not all) of those guys in the mix.

starclassic tama
1/12/2013, 12:18 PM
looks pretty solid to me. i also wouldnt be quick to assume that the 2013 defense is going to be worse than the 2012 just because they lost a lot of starters. sometimes it is addition by subtraction. there is a lot of athletic ability on that depth chart, at every position.

8timechamps
1/12/2013, 01:11 PM
looks pretty solid to me. i also wouldnt be quick to assume that the 2013 defense is going to be worse than the 2012 just because they lost a lot of starters. sometimes it is addition by subtraction. there is a lot of athletic ability on that depth chart, at every position.

I agree. There will be a lot of new faces, and sometimes that's a breeding ground for a playmaker or two. It's not unheard of for a guy to emerge as a player once he's playing more. I have a cautious optimism about next year's defense.

JLEW1818
1/12/2013, 01:15 PM
I can't agree that we had good defensive ends last year. Some of the worst pressure in the history of Stoops at OU.

8timechamps
1/12/2013, 01:18 PM
I can't agree that we had good defensive ends last year. Some of the worst pressure in the history of Stoops at OU.

I don't think we really had good defensive end play either, but I do think we'll be in good shape there in 2013.

thecrimsoncrusader
1/12/2013, 04:36 PM
OU has their DT and TE problems solved next season. :) He should have been starting this season over McFarland/McGee/Walker since they were all worthless and non-existent as they were their previous years at Oklahoma:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APonQwssIQs

TXBOOMER
1/12/2013, 06:01 PM
I expect them to an average Big 12 defense until they prove otherwise. I am ready to see a new group.

goingoneight
1/12/2013, 06:12 PM
Well, if ever one side of the ball is getting a new group, 2013 is it for the defensive side of the ball. I think we'd do OUr team a huge favor by being able to establish more physical drives on the offensive side of the ball, too. I think the snowball effect in the A&M game started after the three-and-out to open the 2nd half. I don't see that happening as easily if the ground game can improve.