PDA

View Full Version : Sad News Concerning a Long Time Poster and Sooner Fan

stoops the eternal pimp
1/11/2013, 10:59 AM
MamaMia, who was a moderator in this forum, lost her battle with cancer..Sorry I don't have any more details than that.

She moderated in this forum the last few months and she posted some in the Cotton Bowl thread last week.

RIP Mama.

texaspokieokie
1/11/2013, 11:01 AM
She seemed like a really nice person.
RIP

PrideMom
1/11/2013, 11:02 AM
God Bless her family in this time of sorrow.

Boomer.....
1/11/2013, 11:17 AM
She will be missed :(

R.I.P. Mama

badger
1/11/2013, 11:22 AM
RIP Mama. She loved her Sooners and her family a lot :(

sooneredaco
1/11/2013, 11:23 AM
Very sad news. I always enjoyed her here. Didn't realize she had that battle going on. Prayers for her, her family and friends. RIP

olevetonahill
1/11/2013, 11:25 AM
RIP Mama. She loved her Sooners and her family a lot :(

Yup, She was a Sooner thru an thru.

Curly Bill
1/11/2013, 11:26 AM
God Bless

KantoSooner
1/11/2013, 11:36 AM
Very sad news, she was a classic.

Fraggle145
1/11/2013, 11:40 AM
Very sad news indeed. She was always nice to me on here even though we had a lot of different perspectives. She will be missed.

Soonerwake
1/11/2013, 11:47 AM
Wow, that is very sad news.. God bless her and her family..

deweydw
1/11/2013, 11:56 AM
RIP MamaMia. :angel:

XingTheRubicon
1/11/2013, 12:00 PM
God bless, very sorry to hear that....had no idea.

FaninAma
1/11/2013, 12:01 PM
Very saddened to hear that. Condolences to her family.

47straight
1/11/2013, 12:08 PM
Eternal rest, grant unto her O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon her.

pphilfran
1/11/2013, 12:08 PM
RIP

cherokeebrewer
1/11/2013, 12:09 PM
Sorry to hear this sad news...

Soonerntxs
1/11/2013, 12:24 PM
RIP, God's taking care of her.

ouwasp
1/11/2013, 12:46 PM
it's a shame to hear this.....

Seamus
1/11/2013, 12:47 PM
Oh, man. I really liked her. Great Sooner and a super nice human being.

Godspeed to Mama and her family.

SoonerinSouthlake
1/11/2013, 02:34 PM
very sad to hear this. Nice Lady

KABOOKIE
1/11/2013, 03:17 PM
RIP. Thanks for passing along the news STEP

birddog
1/11/2013, 03:22 PM
I knew she was battling but didn't know how bad it was. She never looked for pity and stuck to her Sooners. God bless her

EatLeadCommie
1/11/2013, 03:23 PM
Wow. Really makes you stop and realize that there are actual people on the other side of this thing we call the Internet. She was always classy. May she RIP

MyT Oklahoma
1/11/2013, 03:29 PM
Sorry to hear this news. My sympathies to her friends and family.

Rest In Peace.

C&CDean
1/11/2013, 03:39 PM
She'd been sick for quite some time. Her one hope was to see OU win another National Championship before she passed. I reminded her how blessed she was to have seen the ones she has and most fans from other schools never have seen one. She seemed content with that.

Godspeed Glen. You were a great friend and a good person. I'll miss you.

smooth3d
1/11/2013, 03:45 PM
R.I.P. I never knew :crushed:

vtsooner21
1/11/2013, 03:46 PM
To live in hearts that are left behind is to have never passed from us.

God Bless

Soonerfan88
1/11/2013, 04:10 PM
:angel: So sorry to hear, but hopefully she is having fun trying out her angel wings now.

70sooner
1/11/2013, 04:10 PM
Condolences and prayers.

Petro-Sooner
1/11/2013, 04:12 PM
Very sad to hear. Man!!!

sooneron
1/11/2013, 04:37 PM
Man, my heart just sank down to my feet!! Condolences to her family and friends. I always enjoyed her being here. Really hating on cancer these days.

TAFBSooner
1/11/2013, 04:43 PM
I'm very sorry to hear this. I always liked reading her posts.

toast
1/11/2013, 05:26 PM
Sorry to hear, and yes she loved the Sooners.

8timechamps
1/11/2013, 05:27 PM
RIP Glenda. We will miss you!

instigator
1/11/2013, 05:58 PM
Really sorry to hear this. She'll be missed.

rainiersooner
1/11/2013, 06:12 PM
God bless. Enjoyed her contributions to the forum.

Boomer Mooner
1/11/2013, 06:40 PM
Wow, I didn't have any idea either. Very sad news.

soonerboomer93
1/11/2013, 06:48 PM
R.I.P. MamaMia

soonergirlNeugene
1/11/2013, 07:08 PM
Wow, so sad to hear this. She seemed like such a great person. Had no idea she was going through that. Thoughts and prayers to her surviving friends and family.

Midtowner
1/11/2013, 07:16 PM
RIP.

Mjcpr
1/11/2013, 07:23 PM
RIP, Mama.

trwxxa
1/11/2013, 07:26 PM
Thoughts and prayers.

soonersweetie
1/11/2013, 07:37 PM
Very sad. RIP Glenda. Another Sooner Angel in heaven

DarrellZero
1/11/2013, 07:39 PM
So sorry to hear that. God Bless.

VA Sooner
1/11/2013, 08:06 PM
My thoughts and prayers out to her family... she was well respected and will be missed in so many ways.

fadada1
1/11/2013, 08:20 PM
Very sad. RIP Mama.

All_Day_28
1/11/2013, 08:38 PM
"Sooner born and Sooner bred and when I die I'm Sooner dead"

- RIP MamaMia

A Sooner in Texas
1/11/2013, 08:58 PM
This is heartbreaking news...God bless you, Mama. You fought the good fight with grace and dignity. I hope to be able to do the same.

olevetonahill
1/11/2013, 09:02 PM
:angel: So sorry to hear, but hopefully she is having fun trying out her angel wings now.

Knowing her shes prolly bumpin into clouds an stuff :wink:

olevetonahill
1/11/2013, 09:03 PM
She'd been sick for quite some time. Her one hope was to see OU win another National Championship before she passed. I reminded her how blessed she was to have seen the ones she has and most fans from other schools never have seen one. She seemed content with that.

Godspeed Glen. You were a great friend and a good person. I'll miss you.

She was a sweet heart. Ill miss the talks we had.

agoo758
1/11/2013, 09:41 PM
I remember her telling me about it in September 2010. I had not heard of it sense, so I was beginning to believe that she might have gotten passed it. :( Nevertheless, fun poster and nice person.

RIP

SanDiegoSoonerGal
1/12/2013, 02:09 AM
She was a class act through and through. She will be missed.

swardboy
1/12/2013, 06:55 AM
Yes, she was Sooner Class through and through. A friend to all of us misfits on the board.

PLaw
1/12/2013, 10:00 AM
So, very sad. Mama always had a greate POV and certainly had my respect on this board. Obviously, others on the board had a much closer relationship with Mama and my condolences go out to you.

May you rest in peace, Mama. Prayers up for your family and friends during this time of loss.

BOOMER to Mama!

usmc-sooner
1/12/2013, 10:27 AM
RIP, Mama

Soonerus
1/12/2013, 11:43 AM
Here's a pm I traded with Mama in September. I tried to respect her wishes...

http://www.soonerfans.com/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Soonerus
Geez, Mama, my prayers are with you for your recovery from cancer, I did not know.

Its not something I've shared with many of my internet pen pals. http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y86/OUmom/smilies/21.gif. I just don't want everyone to know. It would make me feel uncomfortable. I have to be brave for my loved ones and I don't want to waste a moment I have left discussing 'cancer.' Thats no fun! :)

Thank you for the prayers Rusty. At this point, a recovery would involve nothing short of a miracle though. I may have a month left, or I may have a couple of years. Only God knows, but its okay. I think He will let me be on the sidelines during game days and I have lots of friends and family who will be greeting me in Heaven. http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y86/OUmom/smilies/21.gif

~Glenda

This is me, if you would like to put a face to your prayers...

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y86/OUmom/momstpats2012.jpg

Moore
1/12/2013, 02:40 PM
She is good folk

GottaHavePride
1/12/2013, 03:01 PM
Dang. I didn't even know.

Newbomb Turk
1/12/2013, 03:11 PM
mama was one of my favorites. RIP.

SanDiegoSoonerGal
1/12/2013, 03:30 PM
Here's a pm I traded with Mama in September. I tried to respect her wishes...

What courage and dignity. Inspirational.

OUNASH
1/12/2013, 03:37 PM
Thoughts and prayer to her family. May God Bless them.

Johnny Utah
1/12/2013, 04:08 PM
I always appreciated her perspective ... Vaya con Dios Mama Mia.

Scott D
1/12/2013, 04:15 PM
She was good people. And I just have a funny feeling if she saw this her first response would be for someone to make sure that PapaPia and her pups were doing alright.

revelladee
1/12/2013, 04:32 PM
Bless her sweet heart......prayers to her family!

BudSooner
1/12/2013, 05:08 PM
RIP Mama, may peace be with you and prayers for your family.

olevetonahill
1/12/2013, 05:11 PM
I cant see who Gave me spek. So if ya want an answer ya Need to Peem me.

ouduckhunter
1/12/2013, 05:17 PM
Bless her heart. Her posts were always inciteful, and funny! As much as we will miss her on SF, I cannot imagine how much her family and friends are missing her. Farewell and may God bless you and family, mama.

goingoneight
1/12/2013, 05:25 PM
She was the definition of a class poster on here and definitely one who could shake off the bad and appreciate how good we've had it as Sooners. Sad to not be able to hear from her again on here. She sounds like she was a great person as well.

Blue
1/12/2013, 06:04 PM
RIP.

Heres a pm she sent me awhile back. I feel like its ok to share...

I was in the hospital for over a week, diagnosed with a life threatening illness almost two years ago. I was there for surgery and tests.

A nun, seemingly to be about 30 years old and very beautiful, kept coming in my room. She wore a gold name plate that said Sister Regina RN. The only time she was there with me while other people were there as well was when the lady Chaplin and 2 nurses sat and stood to the left side of my bed and prayed for me after my diagnosis. Sister Regina stayed in the right hand side in the corner of the room looking upon us, but never said a word. She just smiled softly at me. Even though she and I were the only Catholics in the room she didn't join hands with us but I never thought anything about it then. I was just happy that she was there.

The whole time I was in the hospital she never did anything 'nurse-like' such as administer medication, change my IV, my bandages, take any blood or anything like that you would think an RN would do. She just fluffed my pillows, straightened the quilt my family had brought and said all the right things to comfort me. She would come in my room every day if I was alone and at all hours, morning, afternoon and in the evening.

The day I was packing to leave, I was alone in the room finishing up while my husband was pulling the car around. A nurses aide was loading my belongings on a cart. She loaded up another two tier cart full of plants and flowers that had been sent, planning to take them to my car. Sister Regina was walking past the door at the time with a cart of towels and stopped to smile at me. She stood there listening to me ask the nurses aide if she could give all of my flowers and plants to other patients "who may be lonely and afraid" in the hopes that would brighten their day. I told her to tell them that they "were from someone who cared." The nurses aide assured me that she knew several people she could deliver them to. Sister Regina stepped aside as she rolled them out of the room. She never looked at Sister Regina but when she left, Sister Regina stepped into my room to offer a prayer, more words of comfort and she said that she would pray for me. She made me feel so at peace, at a time in my life when I needed that the most. She wore a cross and a charm. She took her necklace off and removed the charm. She reached into her pocket and grabbed a safety pin and pinned it to my dress and told me to keep it close to me at all times, and then she hugged me goodbye. I have worn it ever since.

I went back to the hospital to have a treatment. On the table were these cards you could fill out with the name of a hospital staff member who touched your heart in a special way. They call them Mercy's Angels. I grabbed a card. Being Catholic and knowing that nuns do in fact have last names, and having gotten to know the head nurse pretty well, I explained about the card and asked for Sister Regina's last name. She said they didn't have any nuns on that floor. She said there was no nun there when I was; just the Chaplin I had met. Not giving up but being a little puzzled, I then went to administration to get her last name, once again explaining that I was filling out the card and wanted to name her as the person who touched me the most.

In the end, I learned that there was no sister Regina RN on staff. No Sister Regina on that floor or on any other floor; no one, no nun by that name associated with the hospital at all. Nobody saw her but me.

This is the charm, front and back...

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y86/OUmom/IMG_40001.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y86/OUmom/IMG_91221-1.jpg

rock on sooner
1/12/2013, 06:34 PM
I have held off posting about MM for a while. At my age, one's
mortaility is closer that one might think. Never had the pleasure
meeting her, only interactions were on the board and in the reputation
comments...a kind, understanding, sweet person that I can only wish
I had met in person. To her family, my heartfelt condolences and to
MamaMia, the discomfort and pain is gone. God surely needed one
more sweet soul and called her home.

C&CDean
1/12/2013, 07:10 PM
Since others have shared, this is the last peem I got from Glen. It was in early November. She was a trooper, and appreciated folks. Good people. I've still got some jam left from the last Christmas basket she sent...

"I told you that I thought I was going to have to have my ports replaced. They were unable to access it the day the ambulance came to get me but I suppose it was just because I was so dehydrated. So thats good news. I certainly didn't need the additional time, and expense of all that.

Its a real blessing to have soonerfans Dean. When I was in the chemo room for the first time Monday, I used my app and was able to relax and read the forums. It not only took my mind off it somewhat but I recieved a pm from FirstandGoal who had gone through breast cancer and chemo herself. She has been a great comfort since I don't know anyone who has gone through this. She gave me lots of pointers and almost has me convinced to accept help from others, how to be more comfortable, chamomile tea for the anxiety, heating pad for tummy cramps...tips like that. I guess I just feel embarrassed about accepting help and I don't want to be a bother. I know that you are very independent as well, so I'm sure you must know how I feel.

Anyway, she also said that its going to get a lot worse before it gets better but I will try my very best to check in with you. Please let me know how you and the family are all doing. It helps me to hear from my buddies and know how everyone is doing; kind of takes my mind off of me.

I plan to make your family a Christmas basket this year. Do you have any requests?

~Glen"

Soonerus
1/12/2013, 07:44 PM
She was a great person...

XingTheRubicon
1/12/2013, 09:20 PM
I cant see who Gave me spek. So if ya want an answer ya Need to Peem me.

It was me, OV.

could you read the message?

I was just wanting to know if you knew if MM's family was ok, financially...and if not, I'd like to help.

olevetonahill
1/12/2013, 09:28 PM
It was me, OV.

could you read the message?

I was just wanting to know if you knew if MM's family was ok, financially...and if not, I'd like to help.

Yea I can see the message, I just cant see who sent it
As far as I know they are OK, I know they had tremendous Expense on Docs and Travelin Back an forth to the City. In that Link I posted about her guest Book theres a deal about Doantein to something in her Nam
The Posse an I are sendin a Large OU type Floral arrangement

Sabanball
1/12/2013, 09:30 PM
Very sad to hear. My condolences to her and her family.

XingTheRubicon
1/12/2013, 09:36 PM
Yea I can see the message, I just cant see who sent it
As far as I know they are OK, I know they had tremendous Expense on Docs and Travelin Back an forth to the City. In that Link I posted about her guest Book theres a deal about Doantein to something in her Nam
The Posse an I are sendin a Large OU type Floral arrangement

Ok, I'll PM you, thanks

SoonerMarkVA
1/12/2013, 09:46 PM
RIP.

Heres a pm she sent me awhile back. I feel like its ok to share...

Blue, that is a remarkable story, truly a miracle. I am overwhelmed by it and grateful for Mama to have sent it to you and you to have shared it here.

Blue
1/12/2013, 10:07 PM
Blue, that is a remarkable story, truly a miracle. I am overwhelmed by it and grateful for Mama to have sent it to you and you to have shared it here.

Yeah I thought it was a great story too. She was a very faithful woman. We had some great talks on faith and a few disagreements (catholic stuff) but she never got ugly. Class act.

She also wrote this about that necklace...

On the front there is a picture of Mother Mary appearing to the children of Medugorie with the word Medugorie on it. On the back are the words:
Regina pacis ora pro nobis and Italy on the bottom. Regina pacis ora pro nobis means 'Queen of peace, pray for us in Italian. I am part Italian. For all I know, the angel could have been Mary or an angel Mary knows. I just know she was an angel. In the bible it says that "Angels walk among us."

Hebrews 13:2
Remember to welcome strangers, because some who have done so have entertained angels without knowing it.

Petro-Sooner
1/12/2013, 10:19 PM
I like that verse. Man she will be missed!

8timechamps
1/12/2013, 10:49 PM
I am just so saddened by Glen's passing.

Since we're all sharing PMs, here is the last one I got from Glenda (I would check on her periodically, and she would NEVER let me post updates...she was very selfless), this was on December 17:

Keith,
I go in Wednesday for some type of injection that is supposed to help with my low red blood cell count. On that day I am going to try to talk my oncologist out of making me do that Gemzar chemo, also scheduled for the same day.

I'm just not up to it. Thank you for the prayers,

Glenda

I know she was getting very tired, and didn't feel like she could keep up the fight, but I know she fought hard to the end.

8timechamps
1/12/2013, 10:52 PM
Many of us really got to know Glenda back in '05, here is a link to one of her threads (that kind of became a board classic). I laughed a lot during that, and think I'll go back and read through it, anyway, hope you enjoy:

Classic MamaMia Thread (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?38520-My-sons-wife-is-a-slut)

zeke
1/12/2013, 11:32 PM
Prayers for her & family.

olevetonahill
1/12/2013, 11:34 PM
Ok, I'll PM you, thanks

Got the PayPal
Thanks bro

stoopified
1/13/2013, 09:52 AM
Sad news,will miss you MM.Prayers for the family

bluedogok
1/13/2013, 11:18 AM
Rest In Peace Mama.....

FirstandGoal
1/13/2013, 11:37 AM
Since others have shared, this is the last peem I got from Glen. It was in early November. She was a trooper, and appreciated folks. Good people. I've still got some jam left from the last Christmas basket she sent...

"I told you that I thought I was going to have to have my ports replaced. They were unable to access it the day the ambulance came to get me but I suppose it was just because I was so dehydrated. So thats good news. I certainly didn't need the additional time, and expense of all that.

Its a real blessing to have soonerfans Dean. When I was in the chemo room for the first time Monday, I used my app and was able to relax and read the forums. It not only took my mind off it somewhat but I recieved a pm from FirstandGoal who had gone through breast cancer and chemo herself. She has been a great comfort since I don't know anyone who has gone through this. She gave me lots of pointers and almost has me convinced to accept help from others, how to be more comfortable, chamomile tea for the anxiety, heating pad for tummy cramps...tips like that. I guess I just feel embarrassed about accepting help and I don't want to be a bother. I know that you are very independent as well, so I'm sure you must know how I feel.

Anyway, she also said that its going to get a lot worse before it gets better but I will try my very best to check in with you. Please let me know how you and the family are all doing. It helps me to hear from my buddies and know how everyone is doing; kind of takes my mind off of me.

I plan to make your family a Christmas basket this year. Do you have any requests?

~Glen"

Thanks for sharing that Dean. Yeah, I peemed back and forth with Mama a few times and half of it was trying to get that stubborn woman to let others help her for a change. It makes me glad to hear that maybe she did take some of my advice and that it might have brought her some more comfort in her last days.

FirstandGoal
1/13/2013, 11:47 AM
Oh and since we're sharing, here is one of the last few PMs I got from Mama. For several days we had gone back and forth with her not wanting to ask for any outside help, but starting to feel overwhelmed by everything going on. I had finally convinced her to let a friend help her with general chores and I know that at this point in time she was suffering almost non-stop with intense stomach cramps.

You're right. I think I'll take my friend Diana up on her offer to help straighten up. Its just the 2 of us so all that needs done is some surface cleaning. There are things out of place that I'll have to put away since my husband and I are the only ones who know where everything goes. Well...he sort of knows. :D I've kept up on the laundry and dishes myself. I've had the worse luck. I bought all new appliances a little over 2 years ago and am now waiting on a new seal for my microwave. Then of all the times for my dishwasher to break down, it did about a week and a half ago, so we've been doing dishes by hand until today when the the new panel came in. That part costs me about half the cost of what I paid for the machine. Now the latch on the washing machine is getting hard to close, so I had to call the Maytag man today. He will be by Monday. Murphys Law.

Tomorrow is football Saturday so I won't be tackling too much. The oSu/KSU game is on the same time as LSU plays Alabama so we'll be channel surfing.

Did your chemo nurse tell you not to eat off buffets, (no restaurant food is possible) and be around younger children? Mine did. My husband has been bathing our dogs once a week because they go outside and I have allergies. Our vet gave us some mild Kona shampoo that dogs can bathe in as often as twice a week. Its helped with my sniffles a LOT. I don't even have the sniffles now. :D

I feel like Linus on Charlie Brown with my blanket. My sister in law bought me this blanky that's as soft as a cloud that I'm attached too. :O I even take that and a pillow in the car with me to the city for chemo. My husband bought an adapter for a heating pad for my tummy cramps. I have heated seats that help with my back.

I think that cleaning service is called Cleaning for the Cause or something like that. They don't have that here in my little town. There isn't much here. I suppose I could also call my church but that would be hard. I made baskets for a couple of years for people that were sick until I got the cancer, but so far I haven't gotten a basket. Maybe they don't do that anymore.

It breaks my heart to think that Mama took the time when she was healthy to make baskets for others and that she didn't get one back. :(
I know her grandkids and her dogs are going to miss her something awful....

Scott D
1/13/2013, 03:10 PM
Many of us really got to know Glenda back in '05, here is a link to one of her threads (that kind of became a board classic). I laughed a lot during that, and think I'll go back and read through it, anyway, hope you enjoy:

Classic MamaMia Thread (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?38520-My-sons-wife-is-a-slut)

that's a terrible thread to use...I posted in it way too much.

8timechamps
1/13/2013, 04:43 PM
that's a terrible thread to use...I posted in it way too much.

It's perfect. Glenda never really minced words, so it was a good example of her spirit. Plus, there's some real comedy gold in there. I laughed at a couple of your posts.

Blue
1/13/2013, 04:48 PM
That Mike Stoops avatar that Sooner51 has cracks me up every time.

TheHumanAlphabet
1/14/2013, 11:34 AM
Sad to hear, prayers will be said for MM and her family...

TUSooner
1/14/2013, 04:25 PM
I am stunned and sad to see this. I mean, I knew about her fight, but I'm so sad to see that she's gone. She was always so gracious in a setting where grace is often hard to find. God bless her. May perpetual light shine upon her.

Lott's Bandana
1/14/2013, 05:05 PM
One of my favorites. She had posted a while back about some difficulties she was having with her health and the care she tried to receive...I seem to remember something about her husband being aggressive in getting her taken care of and I liked knowing he had her back. Since then I have paid particular attention to her activity.

Sad to hear this news, thank you for sharing, STEP.

TahoeSOONER
1/14/2013, 06:58 PM
RIP Mamamia, always enjoyed her post and forever Sooner family.

StoopTroup
1/15/2013, 02:56 PM
Dear Mama....

I figured you were pretty ill. There's a lot of that on the Hill.

RIP

ST

finster
1/20/2013, 01:33 AM
Cancer sucks
RIP, my Lady

Ruf/Nek7
1/22/2013, 04:02 PM
Mama gave me my first good reputation on here. Sad to hear of her passing. R.I.P. Mama.

MyT Oklahoma
1/22/2013, 09:41 PM

That thread was classic. Thanks for sharing it because it was before my time.

Thanks to everybody else for sharing their past moments with MamaMia too. Most of you really do act like "family" at times like these.

Rest In Peace Glenda and may God's light always shine upon you.

olevetonahill
1/22/2013, 11:20 PM
That thread was classic. Thanks for sharing it because it was before my time.

Thanks to everybody else for sharing their past moments with MamaMia too. Most of you really do act like "family" at times like these.

Rest In Peace Glenda and may God's light always shine upon you.

At one time it really was a family here, Now ? not so much. i miss those days.

Frozen Sooner
1/31/2013, 04:06 PM
Haven't been on here in several months. Checked in to see what was happening and saw this. Sad news.

May she find rest and peace.