PDA

View Full Version : Film Critics Awards

SanJoaquinSooner
1/11/2013, 12:26 AM
1. It was clear that Jennifer Lawrence had super star written all over her with her performance in Winter's Bone and then Hunger Games. And now she took home the critics' awards for best actress in an action flick and in a comedy.

2. I plan to see zero dark thirty this weekend.

Best Picture: "Argo"
Best Actor: Daniel Day-Lewis, "Lincoln"

Best Actress: Jessica Chastain, "Zero Dark Thirty"

Best Supporting Actor: Philip Seymour Hoffman, "The Master"

Best Supporting Actress: Anne Hathaway, "Les Miserables"

Best Young Actor/Actress: Quvenzhane Wallis, "Beasts of the Southern Wild"

Best Acting Ensemble: "Silver Linings Playbook"

Best Comedy: "Silver Linings Playbook"

Best Actor in a Comedy: Bradley Cooper, "Silver Linings Playbook"

Best Actress in a Comedy: Jennifer Lawrence, "Silver Linings Playbook"

Best Sci-Fi/Horror Movie: "Looper"

Best Director: Ben Affleck, "Argo"

Best Original Screenplay: Quentin Tarantino, "Django Unchained"

Best Adapted Screenplay: Tony Kushner, "Lincoln"

Best Cinematography: Claudio Miranda, "Life of Pi"

Best Art Direction: Sarah Greenwood/Production Designer, Katie Spencer/Set Decorator, "Anna Karenina,"

Best Editing: William Goldenberg, Dylan Tichenor, "Zero Dark Thirty"

Best Costume Design: Jacqueline Durran, "Anna Karenina"

Best Makeup: "Cloud Atlas"

Best Visual Effects: "Life of Pi"

Best Animated Feature: "Wreck-It Ralph"

Best Action Movie: "Skyfall"

Best Actor in an Action Movie: Daniel Craig, "Skyfall"

Best Actress in an Action Movie: Jennifer Lawrence, "The Hunger Games"

Best Foreign Language Film: "Amour"

Best Documentary Feature: "Searching for Sugarman"

Best Song - "Skyfall"

Best Score - John Williams

GDC
1/12/2013, 08:18 PM
I'm anxious to see Zero Dark Thirty but quite a few of these award winning movies do not interest me at all.

SanJoaquinSooner
1/12/2013, 10:07 PM
Saw Zero Dark Thirty. Out****ingstanding.

8timechamps
1/12/2013, 10:30 PM
Saw Zero Dark Thirty. Out****ingstanding.

Yep.

The movie doesn't really spend a lot of attention in character development, but that's because it's focus is on the "what" and not the "who".

Best movie I've seen in a while.

cleller
1/12/2013, 10:37 PM
Hard to find any recent movies that are not too long on the melodrama, and ridiculous dialogue.

hawaii 5-0
1/13/2013, 02:27 AM
Yep.

The movie doesn't really spend a lot of attention in character development, but that's because it's focus is on the "what" and not the "who".

Best movie I've seen in a while.

If you wanna know what really happened, read Peter Bergen's Manhunt: The Ten-Year Search for Bin Laden--From 9/11 to Abbotabad. He actually interviewed the principals involved in the manhunt.

Still a good movie, tho flawed.

5-0

colleyvillesooner
1/13/2013, 05:07 AM
Liked silver lining plays book. Can see why they are both nominated.

Saw Beasts of the Southern Wild tonight. Really liked it. The 9 year old carries the movie and Is deserving of the Oscar Nom. I was skeptical going in but she was great.

SanJoaquinSooner
1/13/2013, 09:17 AM
If you wanna know what really happened, read Peter Bergen's Manhunt: The Ten-Year Search for Bin Laden--From 9/11 to Abbotabad. He actually interviewed the principals involved in the manhunt.

5-0\

Yes, don't go expecting a documentary. It's a movie.

8timechamps
1/13/2013, 04:46 PM

5-0

I just downloaded it, but purposely waited until I saw the movie to read the book. I figured there would be some artistic license (read: entertainment value) used.

8timechamps
1/13/2013, 04:47 PM
Liked silver lining plays book. Can see why they are both nominated.

Saw Beasts of the Southern Wild tonight. Really liked it. The 9 year old carries the movie and Is deserving of the Oscar Nom. I was skeptical going in but she was great.

So, is Silver Lining Playbook a chick flick? That's how it came across to me, but I see that it's getting a lot of attention, so I'm thinking I misjudged it.

colleyvillesooner
1/13/2013, 06:41 PM
It's kinda a chick flick, but deals with mental illness ands marriage issues. I would classify it as a character drama more than chick flick. It's no notebook or anything. DeNiro is good as the bookmaking father, who has some serious superstition issues with his E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES!

colleyvillesooner
1/14/2013, 12:40 AM
Golden Globes just wrapped up. Surprised but happy Argo won best picture and Affleck for director. The last 30 mins of that movie were super tense and very well done.

Jennifer Lawrence or J La as will Ferrell called her won for Silver Lining Playbook. And big shock, actor went to Daniel Day Lewis.

Loved the Homeland clean sweep again. Best show on TV.

SanJoaquinSooner
1/14/2013, 02:04 AM
I just downloaded it, but purposely waited until I saw the movie to read the book. I figured there would be some artistic license (read: entertainment value) used.

I haven't read any books about it, but I thought the film was quite restrained with respect to pumping up the entertainment value. They didn't have the female lead go carpet munching with a fellow agent, or do anything sexually suggestive. They made her as asexual as possible, except for her using the f-word frequently.

They also could have made the scene where bin laden was killed much more dramatic and suspenseful but they chose not to.

They also could have simplified the interrogation result, with someone spilling the beans and the ducks become aligned. But instead there was always a lack of clarity - they are left analyzing what each statement means if the guy is telling the truth and what is would mean if he is lieing - but never know for sure.

I've read some viewer complaints that there is too much talking and not enough action. I'm glad they didn't make it an action flick just to sell more tickets.

I understand the Maya character is based on a real agent who is not identified because she remains undercover - although the director was allowed to interview her.

Interesting read about "Maya" from the Washington Post:

This spring, she was among a handful of employees given the agency’s Distinguished Intelligence Medal, its highest honor except for those recognizing people who have come under direct fire. But when dozens of others were given lesser awards, the female officer lashed out.

“She hit ‘reply all’ ” to an e-mail announcement of the awards, a second former CIA official said. The thrust of her message, the former official said, was: “You guys tried to obstruct me. You fought me. Only I deserve the award.”

Over the past year, she was denied a promotion that would have raised her civil service rank from GS-13 to GS-14, bringing an additional $16,000 in annual pay.

Officials said the woman was given a cash bonus for her work on the bin Laden mission and has since moved on to a new counterterrorism assignment. They declined to say why the promotion was blocked.

The move stunned the woman’s former associates, despite her reputation for clashing with colleagues.

“Do you know how many CIA officers are jerks?” the former official said. “If that was a disqualifier, the whole National Clandestine Service would be gone.”

And of course the remarkable thing was we ended up raiding the fortress with evidence that was all circumstantial, not even an eye witness account of bin laden ever being there.

One scene caught a lot of attention - when she's chatting with CIA Director Leon Panetta and makes a comment how she was recruited out of high school into the CIA. High School? Turns out they have an internship program that can lead to full-time employment.

hawaii 5-0
1/14/2013, 11:03 AM
They made a point about the Compound that since there were 3 women there, there must be 3 men as well.

bin Laden had more than one wife there, thus extra women.

Also Ah Met, the courior, never shot his gun at the Seal Team. He was shot on sight and his AK was found under his bed.

.........Just a coupla misques.

5-0

hawaii 5-0
1/14/2013, 11:05 AM
I saw Silver Linings Playbook and liked it.

It hit all the emotions as a good movie should.

I just wish there had been a shower scene with J La.

5-0

stoops the eternal pimp
1/14/2013, 01:33 PM
Winter's Bone

Lott's Bandana
1/14/2013, 02:10 PM
I'm still stuck on the fact that the Navy says, "Oh Dark Thirty", not "Zero Dark Thirty". I'm wondering if the Army or AF says, "Zero". They must.

I enjoy this director's use of military slang...I use Oh Dark Thirty and Hurt Locker all the time still, after 13 years retired. Heh.

KantoSooner
1/14/2013, 03:01 PM
I wondered the same thing. I only ever heard 'Oh' dark thirty. (or 'half past lark fart' from the brits). Never Zero. strange.

colleyvillesooner
1/14/2013, 07:54 PM
Winter's Bone

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lg7wyd3z6J1qd1fjko1_500.gif

8timechamps
1/16/2013, 08:27 PM
I haven't read any books about it, but I thought the film was quite restrained with respect to pumping up the entertainment value. They didn't have the female lead go carpet munching with a fellow agent, or do anything sexually suggestive. They made her as asexual as possible, except for her using the f-word frequently.

They also could have made the scene where bin laden was killed much more dramatic and suspenseful but they chose not to.

They also could have simplified the interrogation result, with someone spilling the beans and the ducks become aligned. But instead there was always a lack of clarity - they are left analyzing what each statement means if the guy is telling the truth and what is would mean if he is lieing - but never know for sure.

I've read some viewer complaints that there is too much talking and not enough action. I'm glad they didn't make it an action flick just to sell more tickets.

I understand the Maya character is based on a real agent who is not identified because she remains undercover - although the director was allowed to interview her.

And of course the remarkable thing was we ended up raiding the fortress with evidence that was all circumstantial, not even an eye witness account of bin laden ever being there.

One scene caught a lot of attention - when she's chatting with CIA Director Leon Panetta and makes a comment how she was recruited out of high school into the CIA. High School? Turns out they have an internship program that can lead to full-time employment.

Agreed, I really liked the fact that it wasn't a typical Hollywood action film. I think it did a good job of showing how long, intense and frustrating the search was. Although it wasn't a wall-to-wall blow **** up kind of movie, there were several times I jumped because I was caught off guard.

GDC
1/16/2013, 09:32 PM
I think Dredd should have got some kind of award.

8timechamps
1/16/2013, 10:12 PM
I think Dredd should have got some kind of award.

I actually avoided that movie, but only because the Stallone version turned me off. Should I give it a shot?

colleyvillesooner
1/17/2013, 01:02 AM
Just finished ZDT. Great flick. Long but worth it. I agree with the others, did a good job of showing the frustrating side of a long hunt like this one.

GDC
1/17/2013, 08:04 PM
I actually avoided that movie, but only because the Stallone version turned me off. Should I give it a shot?

Yes, I would recommend it. It is night and day between this one and the Stallone version.

SanJoaquinSooner
1/19/2013, 10:29 PM
Best Acting Ensemble: "Silver Linings Playbook"

Best Comedy: "Silver Linings Playbook"

Best Actor in a Comedy: Bradley Cooper, "Silver Linings Playbook"

Best Actress in a Comedy: Jennifer Lawrence, "Silver Linings Playbook"

Very deserving. Saw it today, and enjoyed it.

Lott's Bandana
1/20/2013, 10:31 AM
Zero Dark Thirty:

Saw the movie last night and then read a bit about the controversy surrounding it.

Makes me wonder if:

A. Sen. Feinstein actually saw the movie or are the staffers briefing her?
B. Would Sen. Feinstein have launched a Senate inquiry into The Longest Day if she'd been around in the '60s?

Making a fuss about a movie only makes more people watch it.

Back to the flick:

I was surprised that the large crowd that watched it at The Warren Grand Auditorium simply sat there in silence when the movie ended. Quiet as a mouse. I suppose everyone kind of felt like Maya did when she boarded that plane. I had read about cheering and such in other places, but I just didn't see the moment. Still puzzled over the name...I found many places on the innerweb where others are equally as puzzled at the term Zero instead of Oh.

hawaii 5-0
1/20/2013, 12:34 PM
Winter's Bone

Watched this one last night.

Dark and disturbing. Some of the location shots back in the sticks looked familiar.

So who paid the rest on the bail bond in cash?

5-0

8timechamps
1/20/2013, 04:09 PM
Zero Dark Thirty:

Saw the movie last night and then read a bit about the controversy surrounding it.

Makes me wonder if:

A. Sen. Feinstein actually saw the movie or are the staffers briefing her?
B. Would Sen. Feinstein have launched a Senate inquiry into The Longest Day if she'd been around in the '60s?

Making a fuss about a movie only makes more people watch it.

Back to the flick:

I was surprised that the large crowd that watched it at The Warren Grand Auditorium simply sat there in silence when the movie ended. Quiet as a mouse. I suppose everyone kind of felt like Maya did when she boarded that plane. I had read about cheering and such in other places, but I just didn't see the moment. Still puzzled over the name...I found many places on the innerweb where others are equally as puzzled at the term Zero instead of Oh.

No cheering when I saw it either, the audience was silent at the end. Although, I kept thinking to myself "Hey Maya, are you going to tell the pilot where to take you?!".

SanJoaquinSooner
1/27/2013, 02:06 AM
Best Picture: "Argo"

Best Director: Ben Affleck, "Argo

I just got around to going to see Argo. Quite the thriller! One character that floored me was Chief of Staff Hamiltion Jordan. That actor, Kyle Chandler, nailed him perfectly! It was like the real Hamilton Jordan. I also realized that Kyle Chandler also played an agency guy in Zero Dark Thirty. Also they nailed the cringe-worthy 70's look of the six rescued Americans. And nice use of real footage of the hostage crisis.

A few of you have commented on the name Zero Dark Thirty instead of Oh Dark Thirty. My conjecture is that the name of something is less confusing for those searching for it alphabetically. Zero starts with Z, but hearing "Oh" might be unclear whether it's the number 0 or the letter o.

Lott's Bandana
1/27/2013, 11:40 AM
I just got around to going to see Argo. Quite the thriller! One character that floored me was Chief of Staff Hamiltion Jordan. That actor, Kyle Chandler, nailed him perfectly! It was like the real Hamilton Jordan. I also realized that Kyle Chandler also played an agency guy in Zero Dark Thirty. Also they nailed the cringe-worthy 70's look of the six rescued Americans. And nice use of real footage of the hostage crisis.

A few of you have commented on the name Zero Dark Thirty instead of Oh Dark Thirty. My conjecture is that the name of something is less confusing for those searching for it alphabetically. Zero starts with Z, but hearing "Oh" might be unclear whether it's the number 0 or the letter o.

I've actually asked Mr Google about this name thing, as it continues to bug me.

The consensus among most of the comments on the innerwebs is that the director/producer simply blew it on the name, as the great majority of Navy, Army, Marine posters also basically asked, WTF? There is a sprinkling of Marine and Army guys that claim they said Zero, but it is largely otherwise.
Apparently the Air Force folks are all in bed at this time.

Truth is, if you write the intent, it looks like Zero, but is spoken Oh.

A similar euphemism would be calling midnight, "All balls.", referring to the zeros on a 24hr clock.

I also don't recall hearing the phrase spoken in the movie, although I could have missed it.

SanJoaquinSooner
1/27/2013, 03:31 PM

The consensus among most of the comments on the innerwebs is that the director/producer simply blew it on the name, as the great majority of Navy, Army, Marine posters also basically asked, WTF? There is a sprinkling of Marine and Army guys that claim they said Zero, but it is largely otherwise.

A similar euphemism would be calling midnight, "All balls.", referring to the zeros on a 24hr clock.

I also don't recall hearing the phrase spoken in the movie, although I could have missed it.

Well you might be right that the producer blew it, but I've got to believe they had ample military consultants working for them who discussed this issue.

I think it may have been a commercial/marketing decision. Do you write it as:

1. "0 dark 30"? [beginning with the numeral 0 (pronounced zero), which is often casually pronounced like the letter "o" because the numeral 0 looks like the letter "o"]

2. "o dark thirty"? [ beginning with the letter "o" because the numeral zero is often pronounced that way]

3. "oh dark thirty"? [beginning with the word "oh" because it is pronounced the same as the letter "o" whose pronunciation is often used for the numeral zero because they look alike. But the written word "oh" does not properly convey the meaning of the numeral "0".]

4. "0030" [how do military folks pronounce this?]

I recall long before the internet, there was a motel chain named "8 Days Inn." It confused people trying to find it in the phonebook - alphabetically are they supposed to look for the word eight - if not, how is 8 alphabetized? Lots of people don't know. So the company changed the name to simply "Days Inn".

So for this film, the numeral 0 and the letter o may lead to ambiguity, especially for those who aren't familiar with military slang. They may have made the decision to avoid ambiguity of it being read differently by different people. And for an alphabetical list of films, everybody knows where to find films beginning with the letter z.

Or... maybe research shows films beginning with the letter "z" do better than average at the box office. The two main motivators for the producers would be commercial success and artistic acclaim.

I doubt that the title of the film has much bearing on the critical or artistic acclaim.

Lott's Bandana
1/27/2013, 07:17 PM

Well you might be right that the producer blew it, but I've got to believe they had ample military consultants working for them who discussed this issue.

I think it may have been a commercial/marketing decision. Do you write it as:

1. "0 dark 30"?

2. "o dark thirty"? [ beginning with the letter "o" because the numeral zero is often pronounced that way]

3. "oh dark thirty"? [beginning with the word "oh" because it is pronounced the same as the letter "o" whose pronunciation is often used for the numeral zero because they look alike. But the written word "oh" does not properly convey the meaning of the numeral "0".]

4.[B] "0030" [how do military folks pronounce this?]

I recall long before the internet, there was a motel chain named "8 Days Inn." It confused people trying to find it in the phonebook - alphabetically are they supposed to look for the word eight - if not, how is 8 alphabetized? Lots of people don't know. So the company changed the name to simply "Days Inn".

So for this film, the numeral 0 and the letter o may lead to ambiguity, especially for those who aren't familiar with military slang. They may have made the decision to avoid ambiguity of it being read differently by different people. And for an alphabetical list of films, everybody knows where to find films beginning with the letter z.

Or... maybe research shows films beginning with the letter "z" do better than average at the box office. The two main motivators for the producers would be commercial success and artistic acclaim.

I doubt that the title of the film has much bearing on the critical or artistic acclaim.

Zero zero thirty.
But then again, this is a term used in official communications as opposed to oh dark thirty used as slang.

Your points were very well laid out and I think somewhere in there is truth.

You did leave out one option though:
0 dark 30

Heh.

MsProudSooner
1/28/2013, 10:35 AM

arb

I saw it this weekend. I thought it was excellent. Did I read that at one point they estimated the height of the man who walked under the arbor by measuring his shadow and estimated he was 6'4" or over?

picasso
4/15/2013, 11:33 PM
Watched ZDT today. Good. I'm still amazed at some of the backlash for it's portrayal of torture. I didn't see any eyes gouged or nutsacks plugged into Christmas lights.