PDA

View Full Version : New gun thread...a question...

rock on sooner
1/10/2013, 10:09 PM
for all you medical/psych folks...here's an idea...

on the federal background form, what if..
a series of questions 7 to 10 in number that are designed by shrinks
to elicit answers that would show unbalanced/ill/unstable/evil intentions
that would flag/highlight many of the types that shouldn't have any type
of firearm and reject the application. Automatically go into a database
that would alert local LEO's and federals, as well. For you legal eagles,
would that be illegal, would that be any sort of privacy invasion?

Not having taken a gun background check, I don't know. When I was
going through background for top secret security clearances, there was
a bunch of personality type questions...

I don't know, I'm just looking for a method to isolate and identify some
bad guys/gals that shouldn't have firearms legally. Might filter out some,
couldn't hurt, imo....

Thoughts? Feedback?

yermom
1/10/2013, 10:11 PM
sounds pretty subjective

olevetonahill
1/10/2013, 10:47 PM
If we can keep the Nuts from ever obtaining them Im for it, But as has been shown they just steal em from a Family member a friend or any other way they can get them

The ONLY way to Keep guns away from the Crasymother****ers are to Rid society entirly of guns. Lets see how well that will work.

As for the Mental deal the HIPPA laws prevent the release of those so yer Idea while having merit will pizz off the Do Gooders who dont want any social stigma applied to these poor confused folk.

nutinbutdust
1/10/2013, 10:51 PM
you cant do that it is illegal. There is a clause buried in Obamacare that prohibits sharing that information.LINK (http://www.forbes.com/sites/rickungar/2013/01/10/gun-advocates-celebrate-secret-obamacare-provision-forbidding-exec-order-to-regulate-guns-and-ammo/)

Section 2716 part c of the Affordable Care Act although, to save you the trouble, I have re-printed the provision below for your perusal.
(c) PROTECTION OF SECOND AMENDMENT GUN RIGHTS.—

‘‘(1) WELLNESS AND PREVENTION PROGRAMS.— A wellness and health promotion activity implemented under subsection (a)(1)(D) may not require the disclosure or collection of any information relating to—

‘‘(A) the presence or storage of a lawfully- possessed firearm or ammunition in the residence or on the property of an individual; or

‘‘(B) the lawful use, possession, or storage of a firearm or ammunition by an individual.
‘‘

(2) LIMITATION ON DATA COLLECTION.—None of the authorities provided to the Secretary under the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act or an amendment made by that Act shall be construed to authorize or may be used for the collection of any in- formation relating to—

‘‘(A) the lawful ownership or possession of a firearm or ammunition;

‘‘(B) the lawful use of a firearm or ammunition; or

‘‘(C) the lawful storage of a firearm or ammunition.

‘‘(3) LIMITATION ON DATABASES OR DATA BANKS.—None of the authorities provided to the Secretary under the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act or an amendment made by that Act shall be construed to authorize or may be used to maintain records of individual ownership or possession of a firearm or ammunition.

rock on sooner
1/11/2013, 07:25 AM
Well, Hell! Are there any cops on the board? What kind of questions were you
asked regarding firearms? As I was getting out of the AF I applied to the CIA to
do analyst work. They sent me a 16 page (front and back, 32 total, small type,
single spaced) questionaire that was really personal. Heh, turned out that I could
have stopped after halfway through the first page...the part about college degree.

Privacy issues be damned. Change the frickin ACA to allow that type of questioning.
Here in IA, before the most recent changes the county sheriff, at his/her sole discretion,
could deny a C&C app, just because...

olevetonahill
1/11/2013, 08:18 AM
Rock is This what you are asking?
http://www.thundertek.net/documents/4473.pdf

nutinbutdust
1/11/2013, 09:38 AM
Here in IA, before the most recent changes the county sheriff, at his/her sole discretion,

It's been 14 years since I lived in Iowa. I lived in a fairly small town, about 10k. There was also a box on the permit the sheriff could check that said Hunting only. That was the only way the sheriff there would issue the permit. Not sure if it changed. I have not bothered to get one since I moved to Minnesota, but I am getting ready to take the class. Minnesota does not have a hunting only box on the permit app.

sooner_born_1960
1/11/2013, 10:10 AM
Wouldn't it take all of 10 minutes for the "correct" 7 - 10 answers to become public knowledge?

cleller
1/11/2013, 10:41 AM
asked regarding firearms? As I was getting out of the AF I applied to the CIA to
single spaced) questionaire that was really personal. Heh, turned out that I could
have stopped after halfway through the first page...the part about college degree.

Privacy issues be damned. Change the frickin ACA to allow that type of questioning.

Well, I had to take the MMPI, (Minnesota Multi-Phasic Inventory) which at one time was the standard test for psychos. Its about 600 ridiculous questions (Someone is poisoning my food). I think its been replaced now.
After all the interviews, background checks, time in the academy, field training, its pretty easy to spot potential looneys. Some even get fired. Ha-ha.

Can't do that for gun buyers, though.

hawaii 5-0
1/11/2013, 10:43 AM
Just 'cause someone owns a gun doesn't prevent some whacko from getting their twisted hands on it.

5-0

yermom
1/11/2013, 10:58 AM
Wouldn't it take all of 10 minutes for the "correct" 7 - 10 answers to become public knowledge?

like the weed questionnaires in California :D

olevetonahill
1/11/2013, 11:13 AM
like the weed questionnaires in California :D

?

East Coast Bias
1/11/2013, 08:43 PM
Rock you are probably on the "watch List" now. I think I am as well, I did a google search on "Where to buy a fully auto weapon"....

soonercruiser
1/11/2013, 10:43 PM

"Concealed Carry" permit apps do ask some important questions.
If answered "yes", they require an attending psychiatrist's statement to the granting authority.
It should probably be that way with any firearms purchase.

rock on sooner
1/12/2013, 11:41 AM
My thought process was not yes/no type questions...more along the lines of
mulitple choice and short essay types that can/do have "trigger" words/phrases
that alert the psych types to certain mental states/background, such as "I've
been bullied" or "I abuse small animals" or "I've been abused". Or, worse,
the applicant can't string two sentences together. Seems to me that could
be a way to weed out some of the bad people.

I know, I know, the really bad ones steal what they want but if this process
would catch a few and/or put em on a "watch list", kinda like a no fly list.
I dunno, something is better than nothing....

SanJoaquinSooner
1/12/2013, 11:49 AM
If George W Bush had been in charge of the Bill of Rights instead of John Madison, the 2nd amendment would have expired with all weapons thrown off a cliff on January 1, 1813 -- unless congress and the president could cut some deal to keep it.

lubbocksooner
1/12/2013, 12:09 PM
Here in Texas when you get a concealed carry permit you have to give them permission to review your medical and criminal history. Upto and including juvenial records. The helps a lot in keeping people with mental problems out.

okie52
1/12/2013, 12:12 PM
If George W Bush had been in charge of the Bill of Rights instead of John Madison, the 2nd amendment would have expired with all weapons thrown off a cliff on January 1, 1813 -- unless congress and the president could cut some deal to keep it.

W was a staunch defender of illegals rights....you should be applauding him

SanJoaquinSooner
1/12/2013, 01:20 PM
W was a staunch defender of illegals rights....you should be applauding him

Actually W was anti-illegal. He wanted to convert them to legal -- like a DMV converts unlicensed drivers to licensed drivers. The DMV isn't "a staunch defender of unlicensed drivers' rights," and usually they let you get the license without waiting in line 15 years or more.

okie52
1/12/2013, 04:17 PM
Actually W was anti-illegal. He wanted to convert them to legal -- like a DMV converts unlicensed drivers to licensed drivers. The DMV isn't "a staunch defender of unlicensed drivers' rights," and usually they let you get the license without waiting in line 15 years or more.

W was a doormat for illegals when he was guv and prez.
W didnt want 187 in TX. They poured across the TX border in droves when he was gov. He never did much for border security as guv or prez.