PDA

View Full Version : OSU dumps their defensive coordinator

badger
1/10/2013, 04:52 PM
Link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OSU/article.aspx?subjectid=93&articleid=20130110_93_0_Oklaho971710)

EDIT: Read below :mad:

KantoSooner
1/10/2013, 05:26 PM
They'll miss him. I didn't like him much, but he was a good coach. They got better performance than they had talent.

badger
1/10/2013, 05:35 PM
OK, that same link I just posted has since changed: Young said that Gundy forced him out because he was old and that he thought his age would hurt recruiting and such:

Young, 66, said he was told by Gundy in February that college football is a young man’s game “and I was the face of the defense and he thought my age would hurt recruiting and he thought players wouldn’t play for me.”

Young said he thought that was “nowhere near right.” He expressed those feelings to Gundy and they agreed to disagree. The result? It was determined the 2012 season would be Young’s last.

“We had a good discussion,” Young said, adding that he is not mad at Gundy. “I told him if he wouldn’t mind, please don’t put this (information) out there until I have time to finish the season and look for a new job.

I have never thought much of Gundy and now think even less of him. Most coaches have to start at the bottom and prove themselves and don't make it to a major conference, as a coordinator or a head coach, until at least their 40s. Gundy did it in his 30s simply by being an alum of the program.

Breadburner
1/10/2013, 06:03 PM
Sounds like he has grounds for a lawsuit....But things might be different in College athletic employment......

Mac94
1/10/2013, 06:19 PM
Sounds like he has grounds for a lawsuit....But things might be different in College athletic employment......

I think Federal Discrimination laws would apply here.

yermom
1/10/2013, 06:24 PM
yeah, age discrimination only works for old people.

MichiganSooner
1/10/2013, 06:34 PM
Age discrimination. Gundy, Holder, Hargis had better get the attorneys lined up.

BajaOklahoma
1/10/2013, 06:38 PM
Bill is part of my family. He is a great guy, never saying a bad thing about anyone. Heck, he still won't say anything bad about Blake throwing him under the bus.
He took the OSU job, hoping to be there until he retires. He is an OKC boy, with lots of family in the area.
Even when he went to teams I hate, I still wanted him to do well.

cvsooner
1/10/2013, 07:12 PM
"College football is a young man's game"...well, of course it is. Brandon Weeden was maybe the oldest guy ever to play in Oklahoma.

I wonder what Bill Snyder thinks about this? Wonder what Joe Paterno would have thought about it? Or Amos Alonzo Stagg?

EatLeadCommie
1/10/2013, 07:20 PM
Dumb move, IMHO.

cleller
1/10/2013, 08:00 PM
With Boone's checkbook, and Gundy's track record, I wouldn't be surprised for a better coach to fill in.

birddog
1/10/2013, 08:26 PM
With Boone's checkbook, and Gundy's track record, I wouldn't be surprised for a better coach to fill in.

Who?

OkieThunderLion
1/10/2013, 08:36 PM
"College football is a young man's game"...well, of course it is. Brandon Weeden was maybe the oldest guy ever to play in Oklahoma.

I wonder what Bill Snyder thinks about this? Wonder what Joe Paterno would have thought about it? Or Amos Alonzo Stagg?
I'd guess Wilkinson had some older.

picasso
1/10/2013, 08:57 PM
Track record on defense? Where?

cvsooner
1/11/2013, 01:39 AM
I'd guess Wilkinson had some older.That's why I said 'maybe'. I know Bud had some veterans, but I really don't have any idea of their ages. Just knew Weeden was 28.

texaspokieokie
1/11/2013, 10:22 AM
OK, that same link I just posted has since changed: Young said that Gundy forced him out because he was old and that he thought his age would hurt recruiting and such:

I have never thought much of Gundy and now think even less of him. Most coaches have to start at the bottom and prove themselves and don't make it to a major conference, as a coordinator or a head coach, until at least their 40s. Gundy did it in his 30s simply by being an alum of the program.
Barry was 36 & Bud was 31 when they became HCs. That Gundy got the job just because he was alum, doesn't necessarily follow.

cleller
1/11/2013, 10:27 AM
Who?

Have to wait and see, but if Young was pushed out, its not likely they did it without a plan in place for his replacement. Gundy has managed to attract good talent at coordinator jobs in the past.

texaspokieokie
1/11/2013, 11:05 AM
They promoted from within.

badger
1/11/2013, 11:38 AM
Barry was 36 & Bud was 31 when they became HCs. That Gundy got the job just because he was alum, doesn't necessarily follow.

Different era. Name one head coach recently who got his head coaching job at a major conference program in his 30s other than Mike Gundy.

Answer: Kliff Kingsbury, Texas Tech (http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/college-sports/texas-tech-red-raiders/20121227-kliff-kingsbury-anxious-to-take-over-reigns-at-texas-tech.ece)

And now, try to name anyone that hasn't got that prime job in a major conference in their 30s at a place other than their alma mater recently.

texaspokieokie
1/11/2013, 11:43 AM
You had to thro in "@ their alma mater" before i could post John Blake.
i'm too lazy to research it, but i bet there are some.

KantoSooner
1/11/2013, 11:55 AM
There was much less money involved 20, 30 or 50 years ago.

And people live longer. The average guy of 50 in 1950 was close to death.

yermom
1/11/2013, 11:56 AM
i'm sure he got a little bit of a favorable shot because he's from there. i'm sure it plants him there a bit as well. i don't see him jumping to LSU or Miami

cvsooner
1/11/2013, 12:33 PM
There was much less money involved 20, 30 or 50 years ago.

And people live longer. The average guy of 50 in 1950 was close to death.

Life expectancy for men in 1950 was 65...so nearly a quarter of life still to live. I'd hardly say 50 is close to death.

texaspokieokie
1/11/2013, 12:35 PM
Badj;
you make a statement & when i reply you thro in 3 qualifications
Got to be "HC".
Got to be some certain unspecified era.
Got to be "other than @ their alma mater.

texaspokieokie
1/11/2013, 12:38 PM
How bout Bob Stoops (DC) & Lane Kiffin ??

badger
1/11/2013, 12:44 PM
How bout Bob Stoops (DC) & Lane Kiffin ??

OK fine, Stoops was hired by OU at age 39 and Lane Kiffin is taking the money and running all of these programs into the ground before he turns 40 (currently aged 37). I won't cede on the rest because it was during a different era.

So, let's shift our focus back to the real issue: Bill Young was dumped by Gundy because he was old. That's very disappointing and sh!tty of Gundy.

texaspokieokie
1/11/2013, 12:48 PM
If you read the paper you'd know that gundy told him about a year ago.
Stoops was DC in 1996.

Oh, you disqualified DC, has to be HC.
Bad mouth Kiffin all you want, he was still HC in his 30s. You didn't say they had to be good. Another qualification.

texaspokieokie
1/11/2013, 12:50 PM
Different era, like long before you were born.

badger
1/11/2013, 12:51 PM
If you read the paper you'd know that gundy told him about a year ago.

I'm sorry, you're right. Telling him a year ago that he was too old justifies telling him that he's too old. My apologies.

ouwasp
1/11/2013, 12:51 PM
Life expectancy for men in 1950 was 65...so nearly a quarter of life still to live. I'd hardly say 50 is close to death.

I hope 50 isn't close to death! That's me in a couple of months!

As to the topic at hand, I surprised Gundy would even mention age. Given the standing of the Cowboy D that last handful of yrs, it would have been easy to let the D's standing determine his status. "Here's the deal, Bill: the osu defense needs to rank in the top 50 or we're looking elsewhere". And that's that.

texaspokieokie
1/11/2013, 01:53 PM
I'm sorry, you're right. Telling him a year ago that he was too old justifies telling him that he's too old. My apologies.

Stoops is criticized on this board for being too loyal to some of his assistants & keeping them too long.

Gundy wanted a different guy, so the specific reason doesn't really matter. No matter what Gundy did or didn't do you'd find a reason to criticize him.
At least (as far as we know,) he didn't call him an "incompetent coach".

Telling him a year ago that he was too old didn't bother Young enough that he just left the program. It only bother you because it was Gundy.

badger
1/11/2013, 02:15 PM
No matter what Gundy did or didn't do you'd find a reason to criticize him.

It only bother you because it was Gundy.
You got me there! One Gundy brother was born lucky. The other had to settle for being orange.
http://i49.tinypic.com/kf03df.jpg

Sooner Gundy > Poke Gundy

Seriously though, you make it sound like I'm being unfair to Gundy and not giving him a fair shake, like I should be treating him on equal ground with coaches of other programs. That's not how it works, especially when they scored 48 on us at home last football season. SOONERfans.com, not MIKEGUNDYDOESNOTSUCKfans.com.

If Poke Gundy wanted to dump Young for being in charge of a lower-ranked defense, for allowing OU to score 51 in our "rival" game, for an 8-5 season after an 11-1 one, fine. But citing age? I wouldn't try to justify that even if it was a Sooner coach that did it.

KantoSooner
1/11/2013, 02:34 PM
Okay, so 50 was not 'dead' in 1950. It was still older than it is today in relative terms.

and isn't that interesting in terms in Social Security? Basically the plan was set up to allow full payments to start....about the same time you were supposed to kick off. There was an insurance guy in charge of that program somewhere...

texaspokieokie
1/11/2013, 03:11 PM
Badj
Can you point out where Red Gundy > orange Gundy, either as QB or coach ??

badger
1/11/2013, 03:15 PM
Badj
Can you point out where Red Gundy > orange Gundy, either as QB or coach ??
Well, since this board is kind of dead, I'll take you up on that. I'll say a pro for CRIMSON Gundy, then you respond with something for Orange Gundy:

Cale Gundy recruited Adrian Peterson to OU, including this infamous phrase: "We want you, we need you... But we're going to win with you or without you."

KantoSooner
1/11/2013, 03:21 PM
Against which quote, we can put this from orange gumby: "I'm a man."

texaspokieokie
1/11/2013, 03:34 PM
Orange Gundy has been an OC & is now (for the past several years) has been <as you know, a HC. That's > RB coach.
One of my favorite games ever (to attend) was the 93 game when Cale was QB & OU beat tx 38-17. That was great.

badger
1/11/2013, 03:57 PM
Cale Gundy has been director of recruiting since 2005 and running backs coach at OU since 1999. He was also an OU student assistant in 1994. Through all of that, OU has never had a losing record when Cale has been on the coach staff.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/11/2013, 04:02 PM
I'm sorry, you're right. Telling him a year ago that he was too old justifies telling him that he's too old. My apologies.Not to defend that man who's 40, but the LosuR defense was not so good,and, with that in mind, perhaps the 40 yr old man does believe the DC could hurt recruiting? Just guessing.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/11/2013, 04:08 PM
Badj
Can you point out where Red Gundy > orange Gundy, either as QB or coach ??Keeping in mind that Orange Gundy is a representative of Orange aggy, is really about all one needs to know.

texaspokieokie
1/11/2013, 05:33 PM
Cale Gundy has been director of recruiting since 2005 and running backs coach at OU since 1999. He was also an OU student assistant in 1994. Through all of that, OU has never had a losing record when Cale has been on the coach staff.
So that's better than being HC or OC. Or sometimes both @ same time.
Crimson>orange, but green is also important.