PDA

View Full Version : English teacher kicks Flag's azz

okie52
1/10/2013, 11:10 AM
South Carolina teacher suspended for stomping on an American flag

By Stephen C. Webster
Thursday, January 10, 2013 9:23 EST

A teacher in Chapin, South Carolina was suspended this week after students said that during a lesson about symbols, he took an American flag and put it on the floor, then stomped on it.

Students said they weren’t sure what the point of the demonstration was, according to WISTV 10 in South Carolina.

Honors English teacher Scott Compton, at Chapin High School, was reportedly trying to illustrate that students had the freedom to deface symbols without consequence. Unfortunately for him, that assumption was wrong.

“Our superintendent served in the military, I served in the military for 20 years, our flag is a symbol of our freedom, and so many people have fought and died for that liberty, and so we take this action very seriously,” a spokesperson for the school told WISTV 10.

The district did not name the teacher, but said a permanent replacement would be brought in soon. Compton is currently suspended, but district officials are expected to consider termination at a meeting next week.

“The actions that occurred are unprofessional and not consistent with the standards of our district,” a spokesperson told The News & Observer.

KantoSooner
1/10/2013, 11:16 AM
You sometimes have to wonder what it is about civil liberties vs. the consequences of exercising your civil liberties that some people find so hard to understand.

I also fail to understand how this little demo could have fit into an honors English class.

okie52
1/10/2013, 11:21 AM
You sometimes have to wonder what it is about civil liberties vs. the consequences of exercising your civil liberties that some people find so hard to understand.

I also fail to understand how this little demo could have fit into an honors English class.

Seems his students were having trouble making that connection, too.

Bourbon St Sooner
1/10/2013, 11:31 AM
My bad. I was wondering what Flagstaff did to get his *** kicked.

TitoMorelli
1/10/2013, 11:57 AM
It was in South Carolina? If he'd done that to a Confederate flag, he'd been shot.

stoopified
1/10/2013, 11:59 AM
My bad. I was wondering what Flagstaff did to get his *** kicked. :) me too

SanJoaquinSooner
1/10/2013, 12:08 PM

Me too.

yermom
1/10/2013, 12:12 PM

i don't think it quite works that way. i'm assuming this was a state employee, is that not protected speech?

TheHumanAlphabet
1/10/2013, 12:13 PM
Fire the ****er!

okie52
1/10/2013, 12:17 PM
i don't think it quite works that way. i'm assuming this was a state employee, is that not protected speech?

Does the school/state have to employ someone that desecrates/destroys a flag on school property during an English class? Does a state employee's conduct during working hours on state premises have no standards other than it is legal? Cussing is legal but I would imagine it would be unacceptable behavior on school premises.

KantoSooner
1/10/2013, 12:25 PM

Not sure and pretty sure that the question has arisen before. I would suggest one area in which he might still be in trouble would be 'reasonableness' standards and whether any connection could be made between the curriculum materials and this conduct.

Still pretty naive if he thought nobody would raise so much as an eyebrow.

SanJoaquinSooner
1/10/2013, 12:33 PM
Teachers don't have to pledge alligence to the flag, as a religious freedom of some who interpret it as worshiping an image other than God. I think protected speech is limited as a state employee when you have a captive audience.

diverdog
1/10/2013, 12:39 PM

Just guessing....freedom of speech/press.

olevetonahill
1/10/2013, 12:58 PM

:) me too

Me too.

That Dayum Flag is always being Mean an Hurt full So he prolly deserved it.

okie52
1/10/2013, 01:09 PM

So this guy cusses up a storm during his classes on school premisies and the state has no recourse? Employee during working hours has no code of conduct?

yermom
1/10/2013, 01:25 PM
i'm just going to guess we haven't heard the last of this.

KantoSooner
1/10/2013, 01:33 PM

You're probably right. Now that we've dumbed down the curriculum into math, science and, well, math and science, I guess 'English' has to do the job we used to have history, civics, art, music, economics, drama and all the rest to cover. It would kind of explain why a teacher might be so pathetically unable to convey the 'lesson' in any more creative way.

Bourbon St Sooner
1/10/2013, 01:35 PM
My mom worked for the State of Oklahoma and I remember she couldn't have any political bumper stickers on her car (not that she wanted any I think).

soonercruiser
1/10/2013, 01:39 PM

That would be "horrors" class!

Has Obama had a news conference yet in support of the teacher???
:neglected:

Midtowner
1/10/2013, 01:40 PM
Garcetti v. Ceballos:

. . . [W]hen public employees make statements pursuant to their official duties, the employees are not speaking as citizens for First Amendment purposes, and the Constitution does not insulate their communications from employer discipline.

Here, the teacher was teaching, i.e. performing his duties. In short, he's gonna be ****canned.

okie52
1/10/2013, 02:10 PM
Garcetti v. Ceballos:

Here, the teacher was teaching, i.e. performing his duties. In short, he's gonna be ****canned.

Thanks for the info.

Soonerjeepman
1/10/2013, 03:00 PM
My mom worked for the State of Oklahoma and I remember she couldn't have any political bumper stickers on her car (not that she wanted any I think).

supposedly that is the case...teachers cannot promote one candidate or cause...but that never is enforced. Had one 4th grade teacher (yes, government branches and their jobs are a part of the curriculum) that wanted a projector/computer to show the dem convention...I asked her if she was going to show the rep convention as well...she said no, I said no. I have had several teachers at my school wear obama buttons throughout both elections. Emailed the sup, that while I understand it seems okay for the district we are in, that isn't appropriate. We had our principal get on the PA and start chanting 4 more yr after this election. Course our school is 90% black so no one gave a $hit but us conservative teachers.

BUT, I sense he won't get fired, just suspended. The school district like any cooperation has guidelines and rules. Either follow or don't work here.

Soonerjeepman
1/10/2013, 03:03 PM
Teachers don't have to pledge alligence to the flag, as a religious freedom of some who interpret it as worshiping an image other than God. I think protected speech is limited as a state employee when you have a captive audience.

crap 3/4 of the schools don't do that anymore...thank God, yes GOD, we still do. But we have muslim students that are excused from saying it, must stand though, and they also do not have to follow the dress code (we have uniforms), because of religion. I'd like to see a Christian family or heck anyone fight it and claim religious issues and see how far it went.

KantoSooner
1/10/2013, 03:11 PM
crap 3/4 of the schools don't do that anymore...thank God, yes GOD, we still do. But we have muslim students that are excused from saying it, must stand though, and they also do not have to follow the dress code (we have uniforms), because of religion. I'd like to see a Christian family or heck anyone fight it and claim religious issues and see how far it went.

I am hoping you teach in a private school, but, in Kansas, I wouldn't be surprised if not.

Midtowner
1/10/2013, 03:16 PM
supposedly that is the case...teachers cannot promote one candidate or cause...but that never is enforced. Had one 4th grade teacher (yes, government branches and their jobs are a part of the curriculum) that wanted a projector/computer to show the dem convention...I asked her if she was going to show the rep convention as well...she said no, I said no. I have had several teachers at my school wear obama buttons throughout both elections. Emailed the sup, that while I understand it seems okay for the district we are in, that isn't appropriate. We had our principal get on the PA and start chanting 4 more yr after this election. Course our school is 90% black so no one gave a $hit but us conservative teachers.

BUT, I sense he won't get fired, just suspended. The school district like any cooperation has guidelines and rules. Either follow or don't work here.

I'm not sure I have a huge problem with that behavior. Teaching black youths political enfranchisement rather than that they are an irrelevant and unwanted part of society I think is positive more the negative effects of partisan activity. Especially considering that there isn't much debate about who these folks are going to vote for. I'd rather these kids feel like their vote means something and that they do have hope and that they can participate in society and the middle class if they'll just make the effort.

And for what it's worth, if we're talking poor white kids in Louisiana being included in Republican activities in the same way, I'd think the same thing.

Midtowner
1/10/2013, 03:21 PM

How do they get to ignore the dress code? Are you talking about just wearing a hijab? Or like full-on burka? A Christian family wouldn't have any standing to challenge what the Muslim students were allowed to wear. They aren't injured by the school's policy. I did just read about a case where a Texas student sued to be allowed not to wear an RFID name badge in school claiming it was the "mark of the beast." It's been bounced at the District Court level, but might proceed in years to come.

soonercruiser
1/10/2013, 03:33 PM
I'm not sure I have a huge problem with that behavior. Teaching black youths political enfranchisement rather than that they are an irrelevant and unwanted part of society I think is positive more the negative effects of partisan activity. Especially considering that there isn't much debate about who these folks are going to vote for. I'd rather these kids feel like their vote means something and that they do have hope and that they can participate in society and the middle class if they'll just make the effort.

And for what it's worth, if we're talking poor white kids in Louisiana being included in Republican activities in the same way, I'd think the same thing.

Here's the problem with your attitude....
You would be teaching the black students that their vote ONLY COUNTS if they vote for liberals that create dependency!
This tends to leave them miles behind on their self esteem and ability to achieve their full potential.
You know..."be a lemming....follow the crowd" over the dependency cliff!

Soonerjeepman
1/10/2013, 03:41 PM
no teach in public...

about half of our district went to dress code, supposedly to keep gang colors out (several yrs ago), parents voted on it and passed it, up to each school.

Mid, that's a joke. Our kids are very well versed in their vote counts, that gets shoved down their throats. Both sides need to be presented. We are to educate them in the process, not indoctrinate them to vote one way or the other, yes even for the poor white kids in La...which how do you know if they were poor they didn't vote dem? They vote because he's half black...not because of the issues. They can participate in MC society IF they work at it, go to some sort of post HS training, rather college or trade school.

As far as the muslims, it's the full deal, not sure what it's called...for the girls, the boys can wear uniforms. What if a family can't afford to go out and buy the uniforms, cheap at wally world but still an expense..? I just have a problem with allowing some folks preferential treatment for religious beliefs but not others for their beliefs. We can't pray in private or public here.

KantoSooner
1/10/2013, 03:56 PM
Jeepman,
How can they stop you from praying? Sit at a desk, bow your head and pray. Easy. I had a muslim classmate going to an American School overseas (so private) who arranged his schedule so that he had a 15 minute 'mod' at the appropriate time. He could go into the boy's room, get a bit of a washup, go into the library and pray.
Back on the street in 15 minutes.
With less rigamarole, it should be even easier for a Christian.

cleller
1/10/2013, 04:01 PM
He also works for a superintendent/school district that surely have some catch-alls built into contracts to get rid of screw-ups.

Soonerjeepman
1/10/2013, 04:10 PM
Guess, I'm talking about student led group prayer...again, to me it's the core issue of allowing one group to officially not follow school code due to their religious beliefs. I'm not totally versed in mulsim dress but we've had other girls who wore the uniforms with their head (not face) covered. I would probably have a very good argument that these families are doing this more to keep their girls in their culture than actual religious practice. Honestly I think our school ought to do away with uni's...the gang issue is over and that seemed to be the main reasoning, and competition.

I will add, that there is always an uproar about any Christian activity in a school...can't even mention God...Christmas, etc but the muslims can come everyday and support their religion/culture by refusing to follow school code. The libs always argue separation of church and state guess I see this as the same. They should separate their faith from the daily school activities or allow support to everyone. Another example is during Lent. If I'm poor and am on school lunch I have to eat what they prepare and if my religious conviction is no meat I'm stuck. We provide accommodations for the muslim kids, allow them to not follow the dress code, but do not provide options for others.

I know that sounds nit picky, but it's the principle to me.

KantoSooner
1/10/2013, 04:38 PM
Okay, I'm on board, tell 'em to wear uniforms or go elsewhere. I'm good with that. Kids are in school, what 7 hours a day? If it's that important, their parents can arrange to truck 'em off to the church-house or the mosque or whatever for the rest of their waking hours.

I'm still confused about the prayer thing. You said the muslims were privileged to stand silent during prayer (I'm assuming Christian). If this prayer is going on and it's Christian, then what's the problem? If no prayer is allowed then what special treatment other than dress are the Muslims getting?

I'm sorry to be repetitive, but is this a private school? If so, then prayer can happen and those who don't like it can leave. If it's a public school, then there shouldn't be any prayer other than privately/personal.

Soonerjeepman
1/10/2013, 04:42 PM
ah...my bad...no, they stand during the Pledge, without saying it..we don't have prayer. I had quoted your comment about the pledge, saying we still say it but most schools don't.

diverdog
1/10/2013, 04:47 PM
Jeepman,
How can they stop you from praying? Sit at a desk, bow your head and pray. Easy. I had a muslim classmate going to an American School overseas (so private) who arranged his schedule so that he had a 15 minute 'mod' at the appropriate time. He could go into the boy's room, get a bit of a washup, go into the library and pray.
Back on the street in 15 minutes.
With less rigamarole, it should be even easier for a Christian.

I use to pray in school all the time. "Oh lord please let me bang my math teacher. If you grant me this one wish I will go to church every Sunday and say 10 Hail Mary's." My prayers never got answered but boy did I pray.

Turd_Ferguson
1/10/2013, 04:56 PM
I use to pray in school all the time. "Oh lord please let me bang my math teacher. If you grant me this one wish I will go to church every Sunday and say 10 Hail Mary's." My prayers never got answered but boy did I pray.Sounds to me like your prayers were answered. Either your balls weren't big enough to make a move on her... or you were too ugly for her to make a move on you...yet, you still went to church every Sunday and said 10 Hail Mary's.

rock on sooner
1/10/2013, 05:05 PM
I use to pray in school all the time. "Oh lord please let me bang my math teacher. If you grant me this one wish I will go to church every Sunday and say 10 Hail Mary's." My prayers never got answered but boy did I pray.

At least you had a teacher to fantasize about...every one of mine in high school
were appearance challenged...every one of em...every grade...dayum...

okie52
1/10/2013, 05:07 PM
At least you had a teacher to fantasize about...every one of mine in high school

This was a gift from God to you...it allowed you to focus on your studies.

Turd_Ferguson
1/10/2013, 05:07 PM

You're just mad because they were all females...

KantoSooner
1/10/2013, 05:09 PM
Jeepman, Ah! I understand. I had thought you were talking about teacher led prayer, not the pledge.
I've got less sympathy for standing silent during the pledge, but as I understand it, they're not the only ones. Don't some of the Jehovies or folks of that ilk also dissent in that manner?

rock on sooner
1/10/2013, 05:14 PM
Why, Okie, I'd not thought of it that way...musta worked, I had
decent grades.

TF, wish they had all been female, might have improved the odds
for fantasy.

Turd_Ferguson
1/10/2013, 05:14 PM
Jeepman, Ah! I understand. I had thought you were talking about teacher led prayer, not the pledge.
I've got less sympathy for standing silent during the pledge, but as I understand it, they're not the only ones. Don't some of the Jehovies or folks of that ilk also dissent in that manner?

You have less sympathy for standing silent during the pledge? WTF does that mean?

KantoSooner
1/10/2013, 05:20 PM
If I'm not part of your religion, for example, but am a guest in your church, I can show respect by standing during the appropriate parts of the service; but, not knowing how you treat confirmation/communion, would be best advised to keep my mouth shut.

If I'm an American, attending any gathering at which tle Pledge of Allegiance is being recited, I should recite the pledge, out loud, with my hand on my heart if a civilian or while saluting the flag if military in uniform.

My comment was that I don't have much sympathy for those Americans who choose to remain silent during the pledge for any reason.

Soonerjeepman
1/10/2013, 05:28 PM
yup..basically they can just say they don't want to do it...

ya ought to go to an inner city basketball game...it's a shame about 80% of the folks don't say it, or take hats off..prob 50% are talking, jacking around....really sad state. You may not believe in God but it's respect to this country and those that allow you to be an a$$.

Soonerjeepman
1/10/2013, 05:29 PM
oh, I had 1 teacher, FR English...Mrs. O'Holloran ..?.. swear to God she looked like Katherine Bach...YES!...lol

Midtowner
1/10/2013, 05:43 PM
They vote because he's half black...not because of the issues. They can participate in MC society IF they work at it, go to some sort of post HS training, rather college or trade school.

And to be fair, lots of white folks voted against Obama because he's half black.

As far as the muslims, it's the full deal, not sure what it's called...for the girls, the boys can wear uniforms. What if a family can't afford to go out and buy the uniforms, cheap at wally world but still an expense..? I just have a problem with allowing some folks preferential treatment for religious beliefs but not others for their beliefs. We can't pray in private or public here.

As for the Muslims, I can see a school policy not allowing the burka because that covers the face. Obviously there are student safety concerns there. As for the hijab? Until the girls start wearing their gang colors on their hijab, I don't see how as a form of religious expression, it's the least bit disruptive to the school environment.

As a teacher, you can absolutely pray in private if you want to spend your planning period in Christian mediation, assuming you have no other duties at the time, you're not going to have a problem. You can even get together with other teachers, even on school time and pray. What you can't do is mix praying with your job [instructing].

As a student, student led prayer is completely acceptable just as long as it's not utilizing state resources, i.e., the school intercom.

Soonerjeepman
1/10/2013, 08:16 PM
lots of white folks voted for him because he is half black...ya know the "see I'm not racist" idea~

It's about being FAIR, EQUAL...good words for the libs. True, not majorly disruptive, but I don't see a difference with the muslims wearing their non-uniforms and the people wanting fish on fridays but being afforded that opportunity?

As far as me praying, ummm, you obviously don't know teaching...at my district our planning time is really not ours to do whatever we want. The district can and has taken it for "team planning" etc. Yes, there is plenty of time to pray, if that is what I want to do. Not sure what news you watch, but USUALLY anytime there are students wanting to do a prayer at school there is a hub-bub about it...guess that is my point.

Yes this guy will prob get fired, and in my opinion should. Teachers are here to get students to think and make decisions, not indoctrinate either way...lib or conserv.