PDA

View Full Version : Barney's back?

okie52
1/10/2013, 10:24 AM
Liberal groups petition Mass. Gov. to name Barney Frank to Kerry Senate seat on interim basis

01-10-2013 06:45 AM CST |By STEVE LeBLANC, Associated Press

BOSTON (Associated Press) --
Liberal groups have launched twin online petitions aimed at pressuring Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick to temporarily name former Congressman Barney Frank to Sen. John Kerry's seat if Kerry is confirmed as secretary of state.

The Progressive Change Campaign Committee, which helped raise money for Democrat Elizabeth Warren during her successful Senate campaign, has launched a new website and online petition.

The petition points to potential cuts to Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid and says "we can't afford to have our other senator be lukewarm, undecided, or uncertain."

"We need someone who we are 100 percent confident will fight right alongside (Warren)," the petition adds.

The website SignOn.org, affiliated with the liberal activist group MoveOn.org, has posted a similar petition saying "we can't think of anyone who would do a better job over the next few months than Barney Frank."

"Barney will take on conservative Republicans in Congress who want to cut Social Security and Medicare and play politics with the full faith and credit of the United States," the petition says.

Frank, who opted not to run for re-election after a 32-year career in the U.S. House, has taken the unusual step of publicly lobbying for the interim post.

"I'm very well suited to do it," Frank said last week. "You're not going to have a long period to get acquainted with things."

Patrick confirmed that he was considering Frank and believed he would make a "great interim senator," but added that he has talked to other people about the position as well.

Patrick must appoint someone to fill Kerry's seat until a special election is held if Kerry's nomination is confirmed. That special election would be scheduled for about five months following the Massachusetts Democrat's resignation.

It would be the third Senate election in Massachusetts since 2010.

Patrick has said he won't reveal his pick for interim senator until Kerry's resignation is official. Kerry, who was nominated to the top diplomatic post by President Barack Obama, is not expected to run into serious opposition from his fellow senators during the confirmation process.

Others mentioned as possible interim senators include Michael Dukakis, the former governor and 1988 Democratic presidential nominee, and Victoria Kennedy, widow of the late U.S. Sen. Edward Kennedy.

Patrick has declined to confirm any other conversations he might be having with potential candidates, saying those conversations are confidential.

He decided to confirm that he had spoken with Frank after the longtime Democratic lawmaker went public with his interest.

If appointed to the seat, Frank lists among his priorities cutting military spending, ending military operations in Afghanistan and encouraging "mainstream Republicans to break with the tea party."

Patrick has made it clear that he planned to choose an interim senator who was not interested in running in the special election. The winner of that race would serve out the remainder of Kerry's term, which ends after the 2014 election.

Bourbon St Sooner
1/10/2013, 11:13 AM
Zombie Barney to go along with all his zombie banking buddies.

TitoMorelli
1/10/2013, 12:00 PM
Is this post about that gay purple dinosaur, or the Barney that's on PBS?

soonercruiser
1/10/2013, 01:46 PM
If Barney is named to "Kerry's seat", who's on top????

Does that put Chuckie Schumer on third???

FaninAma
1/10/2013, 02:11 PM
I think it is appropriate that he is one of the top political leaders from the gay state of Massachussets.

okie52
1/10/2013, 02:16 PM
There are a lot of seats Barney is after.

KantoSooner
1/10/2013, 02:40 PM
I am glad I was driven to thinking about Barney's back before rather than after lunch.

pphilfran
1/10/2013, 02:44 PM

lol

soonercruiser
1/10/2013, 04:23 PM

It's not easy being back & blue = purple!
:frog:

Turd_Ferguson
1/10/2013, 04:30 PM
Wow...I just wasted 3 minutes of my life reading this thread and all it did was prove to me that the Mods are no longer moderating this board.

90% of the posts in this thread deserve red cards and at least 1 or 2 posters in this thread should get a day or two off to cool their heels.

Name calling...spek whining...all are being ignored lately.

And this thread, from concept through execution to fruition, was a racist piece of hate bile and didn't even have good humor to justify its existence.

Carry on. I've said all I need to say about this thread. Blech.

East Coast Bias
1/10/2013, 04:47 PM
Nice to see you guys are up on Massachusetts politics. You had the same insight on Elizabeth Warren and she will be on the job for many years to come. As long as there are no Kennedy's available, Frank will probably get the position, or any other job he wants. They love this guy like you guys like Coburn x ten.

okie52
1/10/2013, 05:00 PM
Nice to see you guys are up on Massachusetts politics. You had the same insight on Elizabeth Warren and she will be on the job for many years to come. As long as there are no Kennedy's available, Frank will probably get the position, or any other job he wants. They love this guy like you guys like Coburn x ten.

Elizabeth Warren....that Okie Cherokee that almost can find a link to her native american ancestry while she bamboozled New England? Ed Markey wants that job too and he is also brilliant, an energy savant if you will...now I don't know if Ed would be willing to give up his seat to Barney...politically speaking, of course.

Turd_Ferguson
1/10/2013, 05:03 PM
Frank will probably get the position, or any other hand job he wants to give. Frank loves *** holes like you guys like Coburn x ten.concur.

East Coast Bias
1/10/2013, 07:30 PM
[QUOTE=okie52;3576340]Elizabeth Warren....that Okie Cherokee that almost can find a link to her native american ancestry while she bamboozled New England? Ed Markey wants that job too and he is also brilliant, an energy savant if you will...now I don't know if Ed would be willing to give up his seat to Barney...politically speaking, of course.[/QUOTe

And its all about the oil, right?

East Coast Bias
1/10/2013, 07:32 PM
concur.

Don't even know why you post on here, Turd? You are an embarrassment to all of us, especially the educated ones...

StoopTroup
1/10/2013, 07:47 PM
Mayberry RFD?

okie52
1/10/2013, 08:57 PM
And its all about the oil, right?

Genius like markeys shouldn't go unnoticed regardless of the industry. Any congressman that can sponsor a bill to tax natural gas by 22% for only US producers and consumers and then 2 years later try to ban ng exports because of its economic advantage for US manufacturers shows incredible energy understanding and foresight. And, since NG dropped CO2 levels by 20% in 4 years which was substantially lower than Obama and markeys bill, you'd think that old Ed would be for spreading this CO2 reducer around the world at 5-6 times the rate that manufacturers pay for ng here. Somehow Ed sees through this illusion of numbers and facts but has yet to reveal his logic to the public. Genius can be so misunderstood.

KantoSooner
1/11/2013, 09:50 AM
Oh, Okie, Okie, Okie, why can't you understand? We're destroying the planet, man. The whole planet! And the only way to even address that position is to go back to the Edenic existence we enjoyed back before.....um, back before we....OH yeah, before white men came to dominate and abuse the world. You remembeer that time, don't you?

"...the women all were beautiful, the men stood straight and strong and they built up with their bare hands, what we still can't buld today."

just dispossess yourself of all your material delusions and walk in beauty in nature.

Let the earth's healing begin.

Move to Massachusetts.

olevetonahill
1/11/2013, 09:56 AM
Don't even know why you post on here, Turd? You are an embarrassment to all of us, especially the educated ones...

If you are so Embarrassed why do YOU even post here?
Aint there a Liberal Yankee Sooner board some wheres ?

olevetonahill
1/11/2013, 09:58 AM
Oh, Okie, Okie, Okie, why can't you understand? We're destroying the planet, man. The whole planet! And the only way to even address that position is to go back to the Edenic existence we enjoyed back before.....um, back before we....OH yeah, before white men came to dominate and abuse the world. You remembeer that time, don't you?

"...the women all were beautiful, the men stood straight and strong and they built up with their bare hands, what we still can't buld today."

just dispossess yourself of all your material delusions and walk in beauty in nature.

Move to Massachusetts.

Bro, You had me in the Palm of yer hand right up to that "Move to Massachusetts" Shat
then I saw thru ya.

KantoSooner
1/11/2013, 10:12 AM
Then you're ahead of me. I have no idea what that meant. It flowed, unbidden from my fingers, into the computer.

I suppose it is vaguely remembered frustration with the unconcieved idiocy of most of those living in the NE regarding energy/environmental policy. It grew very tiresome during the years I lived there.

sorry. It's early; with coffee, I'll do better as the day rolls on.

olevetonahill
1/11/2013, 10:14 AM
Then you're ahead of me. I have no idea what that meant. It flowed, unbidden from my fingers, into the computer.

I suppose it is vaguely remembered frustration with the unconcieved idiocy of most of those living in the NE regarding energy/environmental policy. It grew very tiresome during the years I lived there.

sorry. It's early; with coffee, I'll do better as the day rolls on.

I may agree with you on a Lot of stuff, But I aint ****in movin to Yankee Lib Land . thank you very much.:biggrin:

East Coast Bias
1/11/2013, 08:53 PM
If you are so Embarrassed why do YOU even post here?
Aint there a Liberal Yankee Sooner board some wheres ?

Otis, is that you?

olevetonahill
1/11/2013, 09:36 PM
Otis, is that you?

Boy, You just sharp as a ****in Bowlin ball aint ya?

okie52
1/11/2013, 10:21 PM

Move to Massachusetts.

Flintstone mobiles may soon cover the streets of Boston.

soonercruiser
1/11/2013, 10:26 PM

Move to Massachusetts.

And "they" say marijuanna has no side effects!!!!
:tranquillity: