PDA

View Full Version : Jammal Brown is "mad as hell" about what's happened to his program

Judge Smails
1/9/2013, 08:31 AM
http://www.tulsaworld.com/blogs/sportspost.aspx?%2FStoops_era_star_Jammal_Brown_is _mad_as_hell_about_whats_happened_to_his_program%2 F12-18454

It was one thing for Brian Bosworth, the notoriously loose-lipped Switzer era linebacker, to vent about the Oklahoma Sooners earlier this year. The message was interesting, but it was lost on some because of the messenger.

Now, we hear from one of Bob Stoops' former players, and among his best.

Jammal Brown, the Outland Trophy-winning tackle who played in two national championship games, went on Norman's KREF Monday evening. The hosts of "The Rush," former Sooners Dusty Dvoracek and Teddy Lehman, weren't very happy with OU's Cotton Bowl performance.

Brown was even more upset, something he made quite clear to Dvoracek and Lehman on their drive-time show...

"Man, I'm mad as hell about that game. Very upset. To me, it's a whole mental thing with the team. I played there. I know Coach Stoops and those guys can get it done. But the whole mental aspect of our team is gone.

"We don't got those guys that will play physical. Guys are soft. All of that, it's just a horrible thing to watch. It don't even look like OU out there. It looks like a bunch of guys running around. It's very disappointing...

"The guys they've got there are good athletes, because they know how to recruit and what not. But their mindset is all messed up. Those guys are soft. They complain about everything. They wanna get in trouble. Their mindset ain't right. They need to do something about that, man.

"I know Coach Stoops can get it done. But it just seems like something's holding him back. To me, I think Coach Stoops is the best coach out there. When I played for him, he was a dog. He had that Youngstown swag about him, that gangsta swag about him to go out there and get it done, no ifs, no nothing.

"Now, I mean, it's just different. I don't know if it's because the kids are whiny now or wanna go tell if they're working too hard, or what it is. But it needs to get back to how it was, plain and simple...

"Those guys, I feel like what it's important to them is seeing how many hits on Twitter, or who's seen this or who's seen that. When we were there, success was held really, really high. Big 12 championship? Man, we tried to win a national championship. I hear these guys exciting about sharing a championship? That ain't nothing to be excited about. This is Oklahoma football. We don't share championships, we win 'em outright. That's BS. I would've even gave that back. I ain't about to share no championship.

"And that's the whole mindset. Y'all are walking around celebrating because you got to share a championship with K-State? Man, get outta here with that. Let Oklahoma State celebrate stuff like that…

"After that A&M game, when we beat those boys 77-0 my junior year, that next Monday was the hardest practice that I ever had. Because we didn't get enough knockdowns because we squashed so much. We didn't put a drive together because everybody had big plays. Coach (Kevin) Wilson didn't care about that score. Our job was for each person to get 15 knockdowns. It didn't get done, so we had to do up-downs.

"That was the whole mindset that Wilson installed in us. Guys like Phil (Loadholt), Davin (Joseph), me, he knew how to coach us. He knew how to get the best out of us. He knew how to keep us motivated. He didn't let us get lost in the world of Twitter and being in college and this and that...

"Coach Stoops was the same way... He always kept me hungry. He always pushed me. I just feel like they don't push guys like that no more. I don't know if it's because who the kids are now, who knows. But I think that type of coaching needs to come back."

Boomer.....
1/9/2013, 08:36 AM
It's a shame. People have been talking about needing a change in attitude with the players for a while. I don't know if it is the mindset of these players or a different coaching philosophy.

Jason White's Third Knee
1/9/2013, 08:51 AM
Dayum. Ban twitter! Get bob a 9mm! Let the pokes celebrate cochampionships!

That was interesting to say the least. Thank you Mr. Brown.

SoonerorLater
1/9/2013, 09:06 AM
It's good to know it's just not fans like myself that see a general decline in the program. Over the recent past there have been quite a few former players and coaches like Switzer and Pat Jones that can see that there are problems and the problems don't seem to be getting corrected. If enough of these guys come forward maybe it will bring some attention to this. Here's hoping anyway. If the coaches and administration would just read this board then we would already be well on out way to another championship.

SoonerMarkVA
1/9/2013, 09:17 AM
Stoops just seems to have created an idea bubble, and he keeps pulling in people who all think alike. Nothing's going to change because we still win lots of games and are likely to keep pulling in conference championships (or shares of it).

I remember James Hetfield answering some critics about why Metallica's newer music was less driving, less raw, and less angry. Hetfield said, roughly, "I'm a millionaire, doing what I love for a living, and ride in a limo. What's to be pissed off about?" I feel like there's some of that with Stoops. He's so comfortable, and he's able to meet the obligations of the things in his life that are really important (and to his credit, many of those things speak very well of his character and integrity) that the fire necessary to push the envelope to that highest level on the field just isn't there. Frankly, he seems satisfied with "good enough".

cherokeebrewer
1/9/2013, 09:22 AM
Jammal Brown...You da MAN!!

Mac94
1/9/2013, 09:43 AM
Not seeing the program up close being here in Austin ... how different is the position coaches? Did OU have a different S&C coach back then? I think alot of attitude comes from the coaches the players see pretty regularly ... and that would be the S&C guys in the off season and the position guys. Of course ... these guys will in a way reflect the guy that hired them.

sooneron
1/9/2013, 09:45 AM
Same S&C since 1999.

Mac94
1/9/2013, 09:52 AM
How well thought of is he?

stoops the eternal pimp
1/9/2013, 10:00 AM
Oline coach is definitely different..But I don't know if we can blame it on him or just a change in philosophy.

sooneron
1/9/2013, 10:03 AM

Much maligned, we'll leave it at that. Well, on here he is...

Curly Bill
1/9/2013, 10:21 AM

Opinions are very wide-ranging. I know a few peeps highly placed in the S&C field that are not at all fans of Schmitty.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/9/2013, 10:23 AM
He didn't look too mad when i saw him at The Mont hangin with that table of bitches..

LakeRat
1/9/2013, 10:27 AM

He used to be the best. I haven't heard any pros or cons recently.

Boomer.....
1/9/2013, 10:28 AM
Smitty is know for pushing the players very hard. Too hard? It probably depends on the player and their attitude towards achieving greatness. I bet super hard workers like AD never complained about Smitty.

Boomer.....
1/9/2013, 10:30 AM
Oline coach is definitely different..But I don't know if we can blame it on him or just a change in philosophy.

I'd do just about anything to swap him for OSU's o-line coach.

Crimsontothecore
1/9/2013, 10:48 AM
Oh please. Brown was part of a team that choked in the Big12 title game against Kstate and then against LSU. While I agree that somethings wrong, I get tired of ex players acting like they were never there.
And as for players being excited about sharing a conference title, until last year it wasn't possible to have a tie due to the title game. If today's rules applied throughout the Big12's existence, OU would have been co-champions long before now.

cleller
1/9/2013, 10:54 AM
I'd do just about anything to swap him for OSU's o-line coach.

Shoot, lets give Jammal Brown a shot.

Maybe he's shooting off a little, but he's on target also.

jk the sooner fan
1/9/2013, 11:03 AM
here's my main issue with JB's comments

it's really easy for a former player from a successful period to come in after a bad loss and take shots at the program

but i also recognize that most people in many walks of life are always in a position to tell you how much better things were in the past

old people do this all the time "in my day......".......i hear it from some of the guys/gals i served with in Army CID - as that organization has gone thru some major changes....that "things were so much better back in the day when i was around" - yet the old timers before me would say the same thing

football programs are fluid and not static - they are ever changing and from one year to the next, there are going to be differences - sometimes they will be more obvious than at other times

so while i enjoyed listening to JB reminisce about the good old days - i took what he said with a grain of salt

case in point - schmitty - i've heard/read for nearly 10 years on this board - and other places - what a demon he is - and that he's the reason why Sooners go to the pro's and suffer injuries.....i've heard EVERY YEAR - for his head - Stoops needs to get rid of Schmitty

and now JB is all over his jock - praising him

so yeah - which is it?

yermom
1/9/2013, 11:07 AM
back in JB's day, we had extra DL guys to put on the OL

that might be part of it

thecrimsoncrusader
1/9/2013, 11:15 AM
case in point - schmitty - i've heard/read for nearly 10 years on this board - and other places - what a demon he is - and that he's the reason why Sooners go to the pro's and suffer injuries.....i've heard EVERY YEAR - for his head - Stoops needs to get rid of Schmitty

and now JB is all over his jock - praising him

so yeah - which is it?

Which is it?:

Non-injured Sooners in the NFL: Schmitty was great.
Injured Sooners in he NFL: Schmitty is the devil!

Sooner in Tampa
1/9/2013, 11:17 AM
Oh please. Brown was part of a team that choked in the Big12 title game against Kstate and then against LSU. While I agree that somethings wrong, I get tired of ex players acting like they were never there.
And as for players being excited about sharing a conference title, until last year it wasn't possible to have a tie due to the title game. If today's rules applied throughout the Big12's existence, OU would have been co-champions long before now.
Whoa there partner...I blame that loss soley on Chuck Long and his stupid ****ing play calling...the LSU D was gassed with their hands on their hips because we were running the ball right down their throat...and what does Chuck the ****up do...three straight passing play...I am still pissed about that ****...

Mjcpr
1/9/2013, 11:18 AM
Which is it?:

Non-injured Sooners in the NFL: Schmitty was great.
Injured Sooners in he NFL: Schmitty is the devil!

Jammal Brown is an injured Sooner in the NFL.

jkjsooner
1/9/2013, 11:23 AM

Brown has been in the league for eight years. He's not dumb enough to blame Schmitty for his injury. Even the torn ACL was after he had been in the league for four years.

That's very different than a guy who gets injured almost immediately.

I understand that overtraining can cause long term problems but Brown has had a pretty long career. He knows that.

Mjcpr
1/9/2013, 11:25 AM
Brown has been in the league for eight years. He's not dumb enough to blame Schmitty for his injury. Even the torn ACL was after he had been in the league for four years.

That's very different than a guy who gets injured almost immediately.

I understand that overtraining can cause long term problems but Brown has had a pretty long career. He knows that.

Yes, I agree. I wasn't saying otherwise.

However, Jammal Brown was injured long before this season with I think knee and/or hip issues.

cherokeebrewer
1/9/2013, 11:26 AM
And as for players being excited about sharing a conference title

'If' the players are excited about a conference co-championship and were not mad as hell about what the aggies did to them in the Cotton Bowl, the bar has been lowered considerably for OU Football...

cleller
1/9/2013, 11:33 AM
For those that heard the show, did they discuss how these "not physical" players got on campus to begin with. Not trying to sound sarcastic, just curious if recruiting was discussed.

jkjsooner
1/9/2013, 11:35 AM
'If' the players are excited about a conference co-championship and were not mad as hell about what the aggies did to them in the Cotton Bowl, the bar has been lowered considerably for OU Football...

I disagree. Did they achieve all their goals. Nope. Are they disappointed. Yep.

Does that mean you hold your head in shame and not be proud of what you did accomplish? Of course not.

I have a little problem with the co-champs label as the Big 12 should not assign co-champs when there's a head-to-head winner. (And, to the horns who are a little slow, a 3 way tie does not result in a head-to-head winner.)

I do think any other tie-breakers should result in a co-championship. The other tie breakers are used to determine who goes to the bowl not who is the conference champion. Head-to-head should not be in this categegory.

thecrimsoncrusader
1/9/2013, 11:43 AM

I know. I was just being a smart ***. :)

rock on sooner
1/9/2013, 11:47 AM
Whoa there partner...I blame that loss soley on Chuck Long and his stupid ****ing play calling...the LSU D was gassed with their hands on their hips because we were running the ball right down their throat...and what does Chuck the ****up do...three straight passing play...I am still pissed about that ****...

Sooner in Tampa, you're nearly completely right about the LSU game...
it was FOUR straight passing plays and with a QB with a broken hand.
My bucket list contains a wish to confront Long and ask him" WTF was
he thinking?"

EatLeadCommie
1/9/2013, 11:49 AM

Don't forget that JW broke his hand in the KSU (and got a concussion as well). His hand was still broken in the LSU game and required surgery after the season. I watched that game recently on ESPN Classic and was amazed at how inaccurate he was.

MyT Oklahoma
1/9/2013, 12:15 PM

I pretty much agree about that LSU game, however, Kansas State punched us in the mouth in the 2003 Big 12 Championship Game and then we failed to respond. We got schooled that night. Both of those games were major disappointments and our Coaches bear the responsibility just like they do for what happened last Friday night.

yermom
1/9/2013, 12:39 PM
Baylor cost us that game :(

they were the ones that punched us in the mouth first, we just shook it off because we out classed them so much. it was pretty obvious that we could't do anything about them coming after JW with all they had

zeke
1/9/2013, 01:03 PM

^this^

And if you cant see a difference in the attitude & effort in teams when Jammal Brown and now, you are blind.

thecrimsoncrusader
1/9/2013, 01:31 PM
OU lost to Kansas St. because OU didn't have to win that game to play for the national title. The motivation by the players wasn't there.

LakeRat
1/9/2013, 01:40 PM
The Big XII was stronger when he played in it, than now. A big XII ring was a lot more impressive then than now.

yermom
1/9/2013, 01:51 PM
i don't know that i agree with that

agoo758
1/9/2013, 02:27 PM
Jamaal Brown, you can jump off the bandwagon at any time....:P

Seamus
1/9/2013, 02:43 PM
Former player isn't on the bandwagon.

He's part of the wagon that carries the fans.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/9/2013, 02:57 PM
Whoa there partner...I blame that loss soley on Chuck Long and his stupid ****ing play calling...the LSU D was gassed with their hands on their hips because we were running the ball right down their throat...and what does Chuck the ****up do...three straight passing play...I am still pissed about that ****...THAT is the story of the NC game after the 2003 season. That's what happened. Even Kejuan Jones was able to get good yardage running on that last series...until we quit running, and had an arm-gimpy Jason White throw passes that fizzled.

Curly Bill
1/9/2013, 03:44 PM
Jamaal Brown, you can jump off the bandwagon at any time....:P

Yeah I know right? How dare he want better for the program he was a part of!

Seamus
1/9/2013, 03:52 PM

Exactly. This ^^^

[torches&pitchforks]Think exactly as we think or you're out!!![/torches&pitchforks]

agoo758
1/9/2013, 04:03 PM

If he had said that on here, dean would have called him a queer and banned him for being a non fan.

hvhurricane
1/9/2013, 06:42 PM
I think Chuck Long is a horrible coach, but the pass play call to KJ against LSU was a brilliant call. JW just threw a horrible pass. I don't know if we could have run it in on them or not, but if JW just throws a decent ball, we tie the game up.

And thank you JB for calling them out for celebrating the co Big 12 Championship. What a joke. I still can't believe Bob called that out in the post game press conference. If I was a player on the team, my ring would go up on ebay as soon as I got it.

aurorasooner
1/9/2013, 06:53 PM
I think Chuck Long is a horrible coach, but the pass play call to KJ against LSU was a brilliant call. JW just threw a horrible pass. I don't know if we could have run it in on them or not, but if JW just throws a decent ball, we tie the game up.

And thank you JB for calling them out for celebrating the co Big 12 Championship. What a joke. I still can't believe Bob called that out in the post game press conference. If I was a player on the team, my ring would go up on ebay as soon as I got it. Agree about that call from Chuck Long being brillant, however I don't agree with him getting away from rushing the FB against a tired LSU D. If Jason completes that pass it would be right up there with K. Wilson's TE call against Stool State and K. Jackson's end around against the corn.
As far as the Big 12 Co-Championship goes, I agree with Stoops, although I probably wouldn't stroke it up with the press, especially after tanking a bowl game.

delhalew
1/9/2013, 09:05 PM
We are not mentally or physically tough enough to win championships. If you deny that, you aren't watching enough football.

cvsooner
1/9/2013, 09:07 PM
Pass to KJ was a good call if your QB had been hitting passes, and he hadn't. From a strategic standpoint, yeah, great call. From a practical viewpoint, no. Especially considering the way we were running the ball at that point.

goingoneight
1/9/2013, 10:45 PM
OU lost to Kansas St. because OU didn't have to win that game to play for the national title. The motivation by the players wasn't there.

I'll chime in here and say two things I doubt can be argued with:

1. OU didn't HAVE to beat Texas A&M last Friday at all. The season's goals were all accomplished already and this is a throwaway game if you're a player about to graduate or head to the NFL. It meant something to A&M... nothing to OU's players. If the coaches needed it for whatever reason (pride, recruiting, etc)... well, that's on them to find a way to get it done. In the past, Bob has sidelined guys who weren't putting in the work and played younger guys in the bowl game because they wanted it more than the guys who had one foot out the door already. Like Quentin Chaney against WVU, Curtis Lofton against Boise State, DeJuan Miller over Adron Tennell in the Sun Bowl, Demontre Hurst over Brian Jackson and a school of others who suspiciously got "injured" right before the big game. The players didn't want it... and once again, OU's assistants aren't out there blocking and tackling. The players had a very manageable game and they literally just quit trying after A&M went up 21-13 in the 3rd Qtr. You could see it in their "effort" and in Bob's eyes. When Bob had his visor tilted down and he's shaking his head after every play... it should tell you the game is over.

2. Jamaal Brown, while correct, was a part of two teams that **** the bed in epic fashion. Maybe not JB, personally... but he's putting his blinders on and pretending like his teams didn't choke way worse against USC and KSU. These losses happen every year, no matter how good or bad OUr coaches on staff. The difference between choke jobs then and now is they're starting to take a toll on OU's recruiting. In short, we're now laying down with less talent.

I'm not a "fire Stoops" proponent. However, this is what happened to Texas and why they're in as deep as they've been the last three years. It's Bob's job as a $5 million NAME coach to fix this or hang it up. No matter how good of friends he is with Joe C, he can't hang on forever if he lets it slide as far as Mack Brown did. It absolutely tore Barry Switzer up inside to make necessary changes... but when he was faced with the reality of losing the OU program, he made them. He's also been very adamant since he stepped down that he would have made even more sweeping changes in 88 and 89 had he known then what he knows now. I strongly hope that when Barry and bob have their occasional lunch with eachother that Barry cuts the wine business bull**** and talks to him about this kind of stuff. As a fan, I really don't want to see Bob's career end in an utter trainwreck like Mack and Barry's did. Bob's been a first-class coach and I'd like to see him revive it like Barry did in the mid-80s or even like Mark Richt has done slowly the last few years.