PDA

View Full Version : Is this real!!???? Stoops get's a raise??

landrun
1/8/2013, 07:09 PM
If this is real I'm furious! I'm ready to can him! He's done nothing to deserver a raise - even if this was agreed to a while back. :(

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2013-01-02/cotton-bowl-2013-oklahoma-vs-texas-am-bob-stoops-salary-bonus

Published Wednesday, Jan 2, 2013 at 3:03 pm EST

Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops earned $200,000 salary boost

Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops was awarded a $200,000 salary boost on Tuesday and on June 1 he’ll get an additional “stay bonus” of $700,000, The Tulsa World reported.

According to the Tulsa World, Stoops’ 2011 contract extension of eight years and $39.4 million brings his 2013 pay with the bonuses to $4.55 million.

Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops guided the Sooners to a 10-2 season and a spot in the Cotton Bowl. (AP Photo)

Adding to his compensation: $71,500 for playing in a non-BCS bowl; $55,000 for finishing in the top 15 of the BCS standings and $88,000 for winning/sharing the Big 12 championship.

Had Oklahoma been invited to a BCS game over Northern Illinois, Stoops would have earned a $110,000 bonus (instead of $71,500). Also, OU was 11th in the standings; had it been 10th, Stoops would have earned $27,500 more.

As the paper points out, it was a good year for Stoops, but could have been better on the field and in the wallet, to the tune of $66,000.

EatLeadCommie
1/8/2013, 07:13 PM
It's not a raise. It's a bonus...a series of bonuses.

Soonerjeepman
1/8/2013, 07:15 PM
ggod grief $71K for a NON bcs bowl...wow..no wonder he wasn't too upset about it...or the $88K for a SHARE of the Big 12.

cvsooner
1/8/2013, 07:16 PM
So a contract isn't worth the paper it's written on...? Or are you saying they need to buy him out?

olevetonahill
1/8/2013, 07:17 PM
Yea Lets write in that if he dont win the MNC EVERY Dayum year he has to forfeit 6 million in Salary an Bonuses.
By Gawd that will inspire him.

landrun
1/8/2013, 07:18 PM
For what!????

Losing to every ranked team we played this year out of conference?

Giving up over 500 yards per game in about half our games over the last few years?

Beating a Texas team who is coached by someone ever worse than himself and John Blake?

Having a defense that can't get ranked in the top 50 while even John Blakes at OU were in the to 25?

I could go on but you get the point.

Why is this guy still the coach at a school like OU!???

landrun
1/8/2013, 07:19 PM
Yea Lets write in that if he dont win the MNC EVERY Dayum year he has to forfeit 6 million in Salary an Bonuses.
By Gawd that will inspire him.

How bout we write in that he has to have defense that doesn't give up 500 yards every other game. I mean, him being a defensive guru and all....

olevetonahill
1/8/2013, 07:21 PM
How bout we write in that he has to have defense that doesn't give up 500 yards every other game. I mean, him being a defensive guru and all....

Im with ya slappy. That plus the penalty fer Not winning the MNC will surely run him off. Then what?

yermom
1/8/2013, 07:21 PM
well, i hear the Alabama bandwagon has some room on it. you might need to change your name on their boards, it won't make much sense there.

the fact of the matter is, there are at least 8 teams in our own conference that would love to have had the year we did.

landrun
1/8/2013, 07:37 PM
Im with ya slappy. That plus the penalty fer Not winning the MNC will surely run him off. Then what?

Then we could hire a good coach and win #8. That's what.

olevetonahill
1/8/2013, 07:39 PM
Then we could hire a good coach and win #8. That's what.

Well alright Im right there with ya, Who we gonna get?

landrun
1/8/2013, 07:40 PM
well, i hear the Alabama bandwagon has some room on it. you might need to change your name on their boards, it won't make much sense there.

the fact of the matter is, there are at least 8 teams in our own conference that would love to have had the year we did.

Sorry. I'm a die hard Sooner fan. I'm not going anywhere.

I was a fan when we had a joke of a coach named Blake. And I am now while we have a joke of a coach name Stoops.

My question is, if you're a fan, why don't you care that we're on a continual decline?

landrun
1/8/2013, 07:45 PM
Well alright Im right there with ya, Who we gonna get?

Off the top of my head...

Charlie Strong
Gary Patterson
Kirby Smart
Mike Gundy - does way more which much less talent

Stoops wouldn't be nearly as hard to replace as you pretend he would be.

olevetonahill
1/8/2013, 07:47 PM
Off the top of my head...

Charlie Strong
Gary Patterson
Kirby Smart
Mike Gundy - does way more which much less talent

Stoops wouldn't be nearly as hard to replace as you pretend he would be.

You have to be shattin me, There aint NO WAY, Hell while yer at it Lets contact Less Mileage , Maybe Jimmy Johnson.
:butterfly:

SoonerNomad
1/8/2013, 08:36 PM

I was a fan when we had a joke of a coach named Blake. And I am now while we have a joke of a coach name Stoops.

My question is, if you're a fan, why don't you care that we're on a continual decline?

I would care if the program was in continual decline. My frustration with the three losses this season is being overwhelmed by these types of postst that lack complete credibility. Are you really putting Coach Blake and Coach Stoops in the same sentence and are you really comparing the current state of the program under Coach Stoops to the status in 1998? Maybe you're using hyperbole, but if you want anyone to listen to your anti-Coach Stoops diatribe try to reign it in a little.

SoonerLaw09
1/8/2013, 09:01 PM

A few hundred thousand Domer fans are saying the exact same thing right now. The consolation of the a$z-kicked.

EDIT: well, all except the conference part.

MyT Oklahoma
1/8/2013, 09:02 PM
It is becoming more and more obvious that we should have cloned The King 35 years ago and then the cloned version would be young and hungry and ready to feed the monster.

With all due respect Bob hasn't been as hungry as he once was and most likely he never will be again. Happens.

8timechamps
1/8/2013, 09:09 PM

I too was a fan through the Blake era (as were many others). Knowing that you were a fan during that period of Sooner football makes me scratch my head when I read some of your "fire Stoops" posts. Were you a fan, or a kid that liked OU football? Serious question, because that was as low as the program has been during my lifetime, and I never want to get anywhere close to that again.

While it's true that Stoops has only won one national title, OU is still among the best college programs in the country. Best of all, OU remains good while Stoops continues to keep the program clean.

I'm not going to go into my diatribe about why I think Stoops should stay as long as he wants (maybe someday soon, I'll post that, but not now...too soon). However, I have to wonder what on earth leads someone to think Stoops needs to be fired.

8timechamps
1/8/2013, 09:11 PM
It is becoming more and more obvious that we should have cloned The King 35 years ago and then the cloned version would be young and hungry and ready to feed the monster.

With all due respect Bob hasn't been as hungry as he once was and most likely he never will be again. Happens.

I love Barry. Always will, but did you forget about the state of the program on his watch? As much as I love Barry now, there was a time that I was furious about how he allowed such embarrassment to befall the university.

Barry was a hell of a coach, no question. But, lets not get too carried away.

wishbonesooner
1/8/2013, 10:07 PM
We made Bob a very wealthy man. Nothing he has asked for has been denied him. I think OU has done everything that can be done to help a coach be successful. We are paying our head coach among the top 5 highest salaries in college football. Should we not expect our head coach to put the program in the place we're paying for? What about our returning talent and recruiting make you think the program will take a big step forward? We seem to be moving in a direction that belies the investment the school has made.

sooneron
1/8/2013, 10:10 PM
What sooneron learned from this thread:

Some people don't know what a raise actually is..
Some people don't know that bonuses or compensation can be included in contracts (sucks to work in middle mgmnt I guess) ...
Some people want a hungry coach that fell asleep or allowed his players to run rough shod all over Norman.

Yeah, there is MUCH stupidity in this thread.

Oh yeah, Curly Bill can't keep proclaiming that Bob's salary is $5MM.

Tear Down This Wall
1/8/2013, 11:20 PM
ggod grief $71K for a NON bcs bowl...wow..no wonder he wasn't too upset about it...or the $88K for a SHARE of the Big 12.

This is the thing that caught my eye...so if we end up in the Independence Bowl or Alamodome Bowl or Holiday Bowl, Bob gets $71.5k? That's crazy.

As much as they are paying him base salary, he ought to get no bowl bonus unless we are in a BCS bowl game, or whatever that new championship thingy they're going to do soon.

sooneron
1/8/2013, 11:25 PM
I will wager that EVERY coach gets comp for coaching a bowl game.

olevetonahill
1/8/2013, 11:31 PM

What these ****in idiots Dont understand bro, This aint about the fans, The fans gonna come no matter what. hell look at the Blake years every one brings up.
This is about MONEY pure and simple. Bowl Games generate Money a Coach puts a Team on the field that is for the Most part competitive hes gonna get paid well to Keep the revenue coming in.
This Money Bob gets paid aint got a thing to do with Landruns or TDTW's tickets Its all about TeeVee Money

sooneron
1/8/2013, 11:34 PM
Yip

tanjou
1/8/2013, 11:41 PM
I get that people aren't happy about things in general but this is just How Contracts Work

Collier11
1/8/2013, 11:43 PM

do they not realize how much money a school makes to go to bowl games? Of course he will get a bonus

SanDiegoSoonerGal
1/8/2013, 11:49 PM
What sooneron learned from this thread

Some people want a hungry coach that fell asleep or allowed his players to run rough shod all over Norman.

Maybe.

But there are also those of us who would like to have a hungry coach who does not do either of these things, but is still hungry enough to inspire his players to play on a level far beyond what conventional wisdom dictates is their level.

IE: Our last NC team.

Collier11
1/8/2013, 11:51 PM
how do you know Stoops isnt hungry, or are you just complaining?

SanDiegoSoonerGal
1/9/2013, 12:23 AM

Yes, I'm complaining.

Obviously I have no way of knowing whether Stoops is hungry or not, but I'm basing my opinion on observation.

For example: in last night's game I saw Bama players consistently and team-wide putting forth the kind of do-or-die effort I saw only here and there from our players in our bowl game. And in a lot of games both this season and past.

In the early years I saw an animated Bob on the sidelines. That was a long time ago, now for the most part he simply looks impassive. I'm not expecting a drama queen but he hardly even looks engaged.

Back in the day, I saw Riverboat Bob call bet-the-house plays that frequently worked, sometimes didn't--but wow when they worked! Even when they didn't at least I knew he was trying hard to make something happen.

Now? Two timeouts burned in the first quarter because of...what again? Lack of preparation and/or lack of discipline.

Unprepared/undisciplined = not hungry.

MyT Oklahoma
1/9/2013, 12:53 AM
I love Barry. Always will, but did you forget about the state of the program on his watch? As much as I love Barry now, there was a time that I was furious about how he allowed such embarrassment to befall the university.

Barry was a hell of a coach, no question. But, lets not get too carried away.

I was being sarcastic except for the part about Bob not being as hungry as he once was. That happens to almost everybody as they age but Bob is being paid way too much for what he is producing.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/9/2013, 12:58 AM

With all due respect Bob hasn't been as hungry as he once was and most likely he never will be again. Happens.Dude has been cloned, and is cooling his self in a cryogenics lab...just waiting for the price to get right for his services.

MyT Oklahoma
1/9/2013, 12:58 AM

Oh heck even he King wasn't as hungry as he once was, its in his book. Look at Bud Wilkinson too, his last 5 years were nothing like his first 5 years.

Bob simply isn't producing at the level he once was and no amount of sunshine pumping is going to change that. I will remain a Sooner fan of course but I am not a happy camper right now.

prrriiide
1/9/2013, 07:04 AM
So let me see if I understand the logic here.

Over the course of the year of your employment, you landed 10 sizable clients for the company. However, in the course of the season, you lost out on 3 MAJOR clients to equally or better-qualified competitors. Not only that, those clients were lost because the competitor was more creative than you and your team in approach and presentation, so you (as team leader) ARE at fault, but not due to lack of effort. But at the end of the year, you were still able to split a corporate windfall on a joint project with a competitor in excess of 3 million dollars (Cotton Bowl payout to OU). Given the success of the year overall and the boost in the company's bottom line, the argument here is that you should not receive a bonus or a raise?

Go ahead and try selling that scenario to your top salespeople and see how long it is before they are taking your business to their new company.

Soonerjeepman
1/9/2013, 09:27 AM
I'm not saying he should be fired, but I do think the bonuses are a little out there. This is all in retrospect of what OU Football is. I too was around during the blake yrs, even before that like prob many of us. True, I do not want to go that route again, and honestly don't see OU Football ever getting to that point but There is something different over the last 6-7 years. OU starts out high in the polls, a lot of polls, so many people have a respect and expectation of OU...they just don't live up to those expectations. Stoops is a really good coach, yes better than 8 of the other coaches in THIS league, but he is being paid as one of the top 5 coaches in the nation. I'm not thinking the bonuses should have been paid, definitely not that much, but I guess against 4.5 mill a mere 88K isn't much.

oh read the post on Jammal Brown's tirade on the radio...gives a little insight as well. My question to that is, who is responsible for instilling that winning attitude Brown talks about? both the players and the coaches.

sooneron
1/9/2013, 09:39 AM
I'm not saying he should be fired, but I do think the bonuses are a little out there. I'm not thinking the bonuses should have been paid, definitely not that much, but I guess against 4.5 mill a mere 88K isn't much.

Correct. Everyone here is looking at the dollar amount with hillbilly eyes. A bonus of $88K doesn't amount to 2% of his salary.
As of Fall 2011, his salary is 4.92MM.

OU68
1/9/2013, 10:26 AM
Just have three words to reply: Gibbs/Blake/Smelly.

Curly Bill
1/9/2013, 10:29 AM
What sooneron learned from this thread:

Some people don't know what a raise actually is..
Some people don't know that bonuses or compensation can be included in contracts (sucks to work in middle mgmnt I guess) ...

Yeah, there is MUCH stupidity in this thread.

Oh yeah, Curly Bill can't keep proclaiming that Bob's salary is $5MM.

Wanna bet? :tears_of_joy:

...and I was just using that number because I saw it elsewhere. Now that I've been using it Ima stick with it.

ousooners182
1/9/2013, 02:26 PM
All the bitching and moaning makes me proud to be a Sooner fan... It wouldn't be OU football if we didn't act like the sky is falling after a 10-3 season.

While I admit I don't see us ever winning a national championship with throw 60 times dink and dunk offense we run, at least were not that POS down in Austin.

Stoops isn't Mack Brown...well at least not yet :(

fwsooner22
1/9/2013, 02:34 PM
Landrun - If your contract calls for X,Y and Z to be done and you get and extra, lets say $150K and you do X,Y & Z we are all to believe you are giving it back ? If so, then good for you. If not (and we all know thats the case) shut the hell up. You don't like the head coach because he loses, OK. Contracts and money are non of our damn business.

picasso
1/9/2013, 02:46 PM
For what!????

Losing to every ranked team we played this year out of conference?

Giving up over 500 yards per game in about half our games over the last few years?

Beating a Texas team who is coached by someone ever worse than himself and John Blake?

Having a defense that can't get ranked in the top 50 while even John Blakes at OU were in the to 25?

I could go on but you get the point.

Why is this guy still the coach at a school like OU!???
You should apply for the job, chief.

Soonerus
1/9/2013, 02:53 PM
Stoops is in the right place at the right time...

picasso
1/9/2013, 02:58 PM
While I admit I don't see us ever winning a national championship with throw 60 times dink and dunk offense we run, at least were not that POS down in Austin.

Stoops isn't Mack Brown...well at least not yet :(
Just what the hell kind of offense do you think we ran the last time we won a NC?

rainiersooner
1/9/2013, 03:21 PM

what is this hunger you people speak about?

Curly Bill
1/9/2013, 03:42 PM
what is this hunger you people speak about?

The hunger to win, and not make excuses when it doesn't get done?? Now, that's just a guess mind you. ;)

ousooners182
1/9/2013, 05:17 PM
So you think we could win a NC with the same offense from 2000? You think with the talent on d we could do that? Are you that confident in the defensive coaching?? Just curious.

hvhurricane
1/9/2013, 06:31 PM
I wondered aloud why he was so proud for "winning the Big 12 conference title" this season. Now I know why. Another ridiculous bonus for Bob. I wish my bonus structure was like Bob's.

StoopTroup
1/9/2013, 06:32 PM
We needed a Defense this year. That is on Bob. He let his DC go for someone he loves and cares about and respects and a bunch of you thought he would help bring this hunger you speak of by dumping the DC we had who made under a million for Mike who we gave 1.5 million to.

The funny thing is...almost everyone who is complaining about Bob are the same folks who complained about Brent Venables and thought because Mike was back... number 8 was on its way because of it.

Our Defense sh*t the bed in all three games we lost this year.

I see us as an 8 win Team next year and depending on how new players do the next two years....I expect Mike and Bob to at least assemble a decent Defense again.

olevetonahill
1/9/2013, 07:02 PM
Oh Noes Peeps
http://metsmerizedonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/the-sky-is-falling.jpg

cvsooner
1/9/2013, 07:11 PM
StoopTroup: no, the offense crapped the bed in the first two losses. The defense imploded in the third one due to lack of desire and because...yeah, the offense wasn't getting it done.

Our D's worst performances were in three of our wins and one of our losses.

delhalew
1/9/2013, 08:52 PM
Just have three words to reply: Gibbs/Blake/Smelly.
This always makes me laugh. Presumably, the logic is this. Oklahoma once hired three sub-par coaches in a row. Therefore when a successful coach can no longer compete at a championship level, your supposed to take your ten win season and *** whuppin at the hands of an SEC team and damn well like it.

Right now the gulf between us and a team like Bama is vast. It is also completely a result of the two different coaches.

goingoneight
1/9/2013, 11:11 PM
Today's coaches won't remain "hungry" unless it's in their nature or they're just a cheater who likes to stay on top. Guarantee you, you won't be able to bring a guy to Oklahoma without him costing you BIG TIME. Potentially more than Stoops, who merely needs to get off his high horse and make a few changes. This is becoming "Bury Barry" circa 2013. I just can't see anybody taking the Oklahoma job without saying "I know how your fanbase is and how you'll run me off after a 10-3 year, you better pay me more than you paid Stoops and guaran-damn-tee me a hefty buyout if you wanna can me."

Then, you're not only risking a guy being equal or less than Bob, you're risking bringing a guy in who might not run the tight ship Bob does. Seems like the "problems" Oklahoma has could be eliminated if the heat was turned up on OU's staff a bit. That's on the bean counters like Joe Castiglione as much as it is on Stoops.

SanDiegoSoonerGal
1/10/2013, 12:54 AM
Today's coaches won't remain "hungry" unless it's in their nature or they're just a cheater who likes to stay on top. Guarantee you, you won't be able to bring a guy to Oklahoma without him costing you BIG TIME. Potentially more than Stoops, who merely needs to get off his high horse and make a few changes. This is becoming "Bury Barry" circa 2013. I just can't see anybody taking the Oklahoma job without saying "I know how your fanbase is and how you'll run me off after a 10-3 year, you better pay me more than you paid Stoops and guaran-damn-tee me a hefty buyout if you wanna can me."

Then, you're not only risking a guy being equal or less than Bob, you're risking bringing a guy in who might not run the tight ship Bob does. Seems like the "problems" Oklahoma has could be eliminated if the heat was turned up on OU's staff a bit. That's on the bean counters like Joe Castiglione as much as it is on Stoops.

RE: bolded. Yep and yep. I don't want Stoops fired, I just want him to recover his mojo. Or be motivated by someone else to recover it if that's what it takes.

On the other hand, maybe I've been looking at this all wrong.

Say I'm a new employee and in my second year of employment, my overall performance rating is "far exceeds expectations."

Then for the next decade my overall performance rating is "exceeds expectations." (according to the bonuses awarded for certain levels of achievement)

Given the fact that only about 2%, at best, of my peers in the industry have managed to somewhat consistently "far exceed expectations," and simply exceeding expectations reaps rewards satisfying enough for me, what possible incentive do I have to far exceed expectations ever again?

I mean what are they going to do, fire me? And hire who?

picasso
1/10/2013, 08:25 AM
So you think we could win a NC with the same offense from 2000? You think with the talent on d we could do that? Are you that confident in the defensive coaching?? Just curious.

Absolutely we could. I'm not a big fan of the hurry-up but we aren't that far removed from playing Florida for the national title.

Some folks are goofy.