PDA

View Full Version : Expectations for 2013?

Mac94
1/8/2013, 01:40 PM
The conference will be undergoing alot of change at the QB position next year with OU, Baylor, Tech, WV, KSU losing experienced starters. It's a long offseason but since we are officially no in the offseason ... what is your way to early expectations for 2013?

08/31 Louisiana-Monroe
09/07 West Virginia
09/14 Tulsa
09/28 at Notre Dame
10/05 TCU
10/12 Texas (in Dallas)
10/19 at Kansas
10/26 Texas Tech
11/09 at Baylor
11/16 Iowa State
11/23 at Kansas State
12/07 at Oklahoma State

Toughest games look to be @ND, @ oSu, and TCU. Still ... 10-2 looks very possible and maybe better. Conference wise ... WV should fade way down and Baylor needs to find a QB and a defense ... shoudl be a 4 team race between OU, TCU, oSu, and maybe Texas.

Fraggle145
1/8/2013, 01:44 PM
The conference will be undergoing alot of change at the QB position next year with OU, Baylor, Tech, WV, KSU losing experienced starters. It's a long offseason but since we are officially no in the offseason ... what is your way to early expectations for 2013?

08/31 Louisiana-Monroe - W
09/07 West Virginia - L
09/14 Tulsa - W
09/28 at Notre Dame - L
10/05 TCU - L
10/12 Texas (in Dallas) - W
10/19 at Kansas - W
10/26 Texas Tech - W
11/09 at Baylor - W
11/16 Iowa State - W
11/23 at Kansas State - L
12/07 at Oklahoma State -W

Toughest games look to be @ND, @ oSu, and TCU. Still ... 10-2 looks very possible and maybe better. Conference wise ... WV should fade way down and Baylor needs to find a QB and a defense ... shoudl be a 4 team race between OU, TCU, oSu, and maybe Texas.

Worst case would be 8-4 I think... (see above I showed my work)

EDIT: Although worst case may actually be going 12-0 and then ****ting the bed in the bowl game.

ddub0224
1/8/2013, 01:44 PM
9-3

Mac94
1/8/2013, 01:47 PM
I just don;t see W Virginia as a major threat ... they loose their big playmakers at QB and WR/RB ... and their defense is flat out bad. And in Norman ... I see that one a a W for OU. Kansas St will be interesting ... replacing Klein will be tough ... but Snyder is not one to underestimate.

Curly Bill
1/8/2013, 01:49 PM
08/31 Louisiana-Monroe WIN
09/07 West Virginia WIN
09/14 Tulsa WIN
09/28 at Notre Dame LOSS
10/05 TCU WIN
10/12 Texas (in Dallas) WIN
10/19 at Kansas WIN
10/26 Texas Tech WIN
11/09 at Baylor WIN
11/16 Iowa State WIN
11/23 at Kansas State LOSS
12/07 at Oklahoma State LOSS

If we play anyone worth a carp in a bowl we'll lose that too, so I could easily see 9-4

SoonerorLater
1/8/2013, 02:04 PM
Best case scenario 10-2. Worst case 7-5. My prediction 8-4.

TUSooner
1/8/2013, 02:17 PM
A lot depends on our QB. All of it, in fact, unless we discover a defense. Knowing nothing about either, I predict a Bomar-esque 8-4. But we might win the Toilet Bowl.

Soonerjeepman
1/8/2013, 02:19 PM

08/31 Louisiana-Monroe - W
09/07 West Virginia -W
09/14 Tulsa - ? not sure who they lose but should be a W
09/28 at Notre Dame - L
10/05 TCU - W
10/12 Texas (in Dallas) - W
10/19 at Kansas - W (YES get to go!!!)
10/26 Texas Tech - W
11/09 at Baylor - W/L
11/16 Iowa State - W
11/23 at Kansas State - W (they lose 18/22 2 deep at D, plus Klein)
12/07 at Oklahoma State - L

Prob 10/2 maybe 9/3... I think our offense will be fine, our D ...ugh~

BetterSoonerThanLater
1/8/2013, 02:22 PM
if we can beat ND, UT, and the pokes, IDGAS about anything else really. my expectations are low. oh and giving up less than 600 yds in a few games would be ok too.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/8/2013, 02:24 PM
Best case scenario 10-2. Worst case 7-5. My prediction 8-4.

It is going to take some seriously crappy QB play for us to finish worse than 9-3

Fraggle145
1/8/2013, 02:26 PM
It is going to take some seriously crappy QB play for us to finish worse than 9-3

I think our swiss cheese D could easily tank an extra one for us... No?

soonercastor
1/8/2013, 02:27 PM
Way too early to set my expectations.

Tear Down This Wall
1/8/2013, 02:36 PM
Oklahoma State and TCU probably have the best returning starters. But...there's a whole offseason of DUIs, assaults, dope smoking, and grade problems to go through for everyone, so let's not jump the gun on predictions.

Landthief 1972
1/8/2013, 02:45 PM
It's hard to gauge, especially since we don't know for sure who's the starter, but let's assume Bell is the guy. Could Bell have pulled out those wins from this year against OSU, WV and TCU? Give Landry credit, he came on strong when needed in those games. If the defense does not seriously improve next year, 2013 is going to be the year of the shootout.

I don't see anyone coming up the ranks on the DL or LB who fills the void we've had the last few years. Heck, Curtis Lofton as a freshman could have started at MLB for this D, and he was second string his freshman year. We're losing both starting DEs to graduation. The secondary? I'll be stunned if Jefferson stays. Hurst is gone. Wilson MIGHT be a nice surprise next year, but he can't cover the DL and LB's butts like Jefferson did.

What happened to our nasty defenses?

KantoSooner
1/8/2013, 02:51 PM
When do underclassmen have to announce if they are going to go pro? Aside from Stills and Jefferson, who else might go? Will Nila actually be able to play? Do we have any DT's red shirting this year who are of quality.
If we can get improvement on the Oline, a decent performance at QB (I'm curious about Kendall Thompson) and some sort of pass rush, we might be a pretty solid team. Not NC calibre, but solid.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/8/2013, 02:53 PM
09/07 West Virginia WIN
09/14 Tulsa WIN
09/28 at Notre Dame LOSS
10/05 TCU WIN
10/19 at Kansas WIN
10/26 Texas Tech WIN
11/09 at Baylor WIN
11/16 Iowa State WIN

If we play anyone worth a carp in a bowl we'll lose that too, so I could easily see 9-4I'm getting a bad feeling about whorn, too, and TCU. If Baylor has an adequate QB, they already have the best running back combo in the laeague.

1/8/2013, 02:54 PM
Oklahoma State and TCU probably have the best returning starters. But...there's a whole offseason of DUIs, assaults, dope smoking, and grade problems to go through for everyone, so let's not jump the gun on predictions.HEAR HEAR!

stoops the eternal pimp
1/8/2013, 03:01 PM
When do underclassmen have to announce if they are going to go pro? Aside from Stills and Jefferson, who else might go? Will Nila actually be able to play? Do we have any DT's red shirting this year who are of quality.
If we can get improvement on the Oline, a decent performance at QB (I'm curious about Kendall Thompson) and some sort of pass rush, we might be a pretty solid team. Not NC calibre, but solid.

January 15th is the date.

dennis580
1/8/2013, 03:06 PM
Very, very high because Bell has the POTENTIAL to be almost unstopable.

FaninAma
1/8/2013, 03:12 PM
If the coaches commit to a running qb scheme OU runs the table. I would like to see one or 2 juco LBs brought in, though.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/8/2013, 03:15 PM
I think our swiss cheese D could easily tank an extra one for us... No?

We have the horses to score points on the teams that have good offenses UNLESS

If the coaches commit to a running qb scheme OU runs the table. I would like to see one or 2 juco LBs brought in, though.

If this happens, I'd say the risk of us going 7-5 increases dramatically.

Curly Bill
1/8/2013, 03:16 PM
I'm getting a bad feeling about whorn, too, and TCU. If Baylor has an adequate QB, they already have the best running back combo in the laeague.

TCU could beat us, whorn could beat us, WVU could beat us. There are quite a few wins I put on there that could go the other way. But so too could some of the losses I chose turn out to be wins. I figure on 3-4 losses though regardless of whom they're to.

1/8/2013, 03:19 PM
Very, very high because Bell has the POTENTIAL to be almost unstopable.I think coach Stoops put Landry Jones above the good of the team, for 2 yrs, now.(Given that Landry refused to run, or they told him not to run)

thecrimsoncrusader
1/8/2013, 03:27 PM
Could Bell have pulled out those wins from this year against OSU, WV and TCU?

I don't know.

But maybe Bell doesn't throw an interception with Oklahoma down 7-0 and allowing OSU to return the interception to the Oklahoma 9 yard line to get OU down 14-0.

Or maybe Bell doesn't throw an interception when then score is 38-30 in favor of Oklahoma in which WVU then proceeds to score a TD to make it 38-36.

Or maybe Bell doesn't throw an interception when the score is 7-0 in favor of Oklahoma and TCU returns it to the Oklahoma 6 yard line to then proceed to tie the game up at 7 a piece.

Or maybe when the pocket collapses and Bell is forced to leave the pocket instead of rolling out and throwing the ball into the stands, he runs for at least a few yards.

Or maybe when the team needs a first down, instead of Bell diving 1 yard short of the first down marker, maybe he takes one for the team.

Or maybe Bell runs forward for what he can instead of running out of bounds and losing yardage.

Or maybe when there are no receivers open, Bell takes off with the football and gets a first down on a 3rd down conversion that would have otherwise been a punt if Landry was the QB.

Or maybe Bell doesn't do those things that Landry did every stinking year.

There is more to being a QB than passing...even in Oklahoma's offense.

Dan Thompson
1/8/2013, 03:31 PM
Lose to ND, OSU, and maybe KSt.

SoonerAtKU
1/8/2013, 03:34 PM
Bob Stoops does NOT want his starting quarterback to run the ball. He is not interested in an offense with that as a primary feature. Even those times where he had a QB that had established wheels, those calls dropped off dramatically once that QB became a starter. Watch the 2003 blowout of A&M and see what Paul Thompson had. Bomar, White, Bradford. All of them had significant mobility and could pick up yardage with their feet. Bob is not interested at this point and I believe it would take a truly transcendent athlete ala AD to make him change his mind about that.

If Cam Newton had not asked Bob for money to sign, you would have seen it at OU. That's the level you have to get to make it worth his consideration.

thecrimsoncrusader
1/8/2013, 03:44 PM
Bob Stoops does NOT want his starting quarterback to run the ball. He is not interested in an offense with that as a primary feature. Even those times where he had a QB that had established wheels, those calls dropped off dramatically once that QB became a starter. Watch the 2003 blowout of A&M and see what Paul Thompson had. Bomar, White, Bradford. All of them had significant mobility and could pick up yardage with their feet. Bob is not interested at this point and I believe it would take a truly transcendent athlete ala AD to make him change his mind about that.

If Cam Newton had not asked Bob for money to sign, you would have seen it at OU. That's the level you have to get to make it worth his consideration.

Bomar and Thompson ran the ball (not all designed run plays, but a rush is a rush) about twice as many times as either Bradford or Jones did in the respective years where they had the most rushing attempts. People need to get over the myth that Bob Stoops won't let his QBs' run after the Jason White injury (and Hybl got injured staying in the pocket). They will run if it actually adds enough to the Sooner offense. Blake will get about 8 to 10 carries per game next season.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/8/2013, 03:45 PM
Bob Stoops does NOT want his starting quarterback to run the ball. He is not interested in an offense with that as a primary feature. .

The recruiting of Blake Bell, Trevor Knight, and Kendall Thompson must mean he has changed his mind.

thecrimsoncrusader
1/8/2013, 03:49 PM
The recruiting of Blake Bell, Trevor Knight, and Kendall Thompson must mean he has changed his mind.

And perhaps Cody Thomas if he doesn't play baseball. Those recruitments definitely scream of a philosophical change. At the very least, more mobility in the pocket for when things break down. Regardless, it's time to try something different.

1/8/2013, 03:50 PM

If Cam Newton had not asked Bob for money to sign, you would have seen it at OU. That's the level you have to get to make it worth his consideration.The qb HAS to be considered as a possible running threat. If the D writes that off completely, that makes it easier for them to contain the offense. It's much like if the offense has a pathetic, anemic running game with the running backs. In both cases, the offense is much more predictable.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/8/2013, 03:51 PM

Not necessarily, there is a difference between a QB who can run and a QB who has to run.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/8/2013, 03:56 PM
I don't know.

But maybe Bell doesn't throw an interception with Oklahoma down 7-0 and allowing OSU to return the interception to the Oklahoma 9 yard line to get OU down 14-0.

Or maybe Bell doesn't throw an interception when then score is 38-30 in favor of Oklahoma in which WVU then proceeds to score a TD to make it 38-36.

Or maybe Bell doesn't throw an interception when the score is 7-0 in favor of Oklahoma and TCU returns it to the Oklahoma 6 yard line to then proceed to tie the game up at 7 a piece.

Or maybe when the pocket collapses and Bell is forced to leave the pocket instead of rolling out and throwing the ball into the stands, he runs for at least a few yards.

Or maybe when the team needs a first down, instead of Bell diving 1 yard short of the first down marker, maybe he takes one for the team.

Or maybe Bell runs forward for what he can instead of running out of bounds and losing yardage.

Or maybe when there are no receivers open, Bell takes off with the football and gets a first down on a 3rd down conversion that would have otherwise been a punt if Landry was the QB.

Or maybe Bell doesn't do those things that Landry did every stinking year.

There is more to being a QB than passing...even in Oklahoma's offense.

So I'm curious here, are you saying that Bell will throw less interceptions? or are you saying that he will throw less interceptions when the game is on the line?

Landry threw an INT every 50.5 pass attempts this year. You listed almost a 1/3 of them. Bell so far in his career has 1 INT in 20 attempts.

SoonerAtKU
1/8/2013, 04:02 PM
This was in response to someone suggesting that Stoops implement a "running QB scheme" which indicates something like the Oregon spread in my mind. I don't know if those guys are the right fit for something like that, but until we see otherwise, two of those three might just exist to run scout team offenses to prepare the defense for those types of QBs.

Thompson in 03 - 25 rushes for 183 yards
Thompson in 06 - 71 rushes for 151 yards

Now, I can't tell if the SoonerStats page is accounting for sacks here, but it's very telling that upon becoming the starting QB, Thompson went from 7.32 yards per carry to 2.13. This would be much easier if they counted sack yardage against passing yardage, but there you go, you take what you have.

My point is this: the next time we see a Stoops offense that heavily features a running QB will be the first time we see that offense out of Stoops.

SoonerAtKU
1/8/2013, 04:04 PM
So I'm curious here, are you saying that Bell will throw less interceptions? or are you saying that he will throw less interceptions when the game is on the line?

Landry threw an INT every 50.5 pass attempts this year. You listed almost a 1/3 of them. Bell so far in his career has 1 INT in 20 attempts.

And zero TDs. Landry threw for a TD every 17.75 times he passed.

1/8/2013, 04:05 PM
What am I missing? is anyone calling for an OU quarterback that runs a lot?

SoonerAtKU
1/8/2013, 04:08 PM
What am I missing? is anyone calling for an OU quarterback that runs a lot?

Yes.

colleyvillesooner
1/8/2013, 04:10 PM
Not necessarily, there is a difference between a QB who can run and a QB who has to run.

This. Stoops even said so himself, that they recruit arms first. if they have wheels, it's an added bonus, but not what they seek out.

Not strictly a runner: Blake Bell's recruitment wasn't centered on his running ability, which has included 20 rushing touchdowns (and four last weekend against Texas) through a dozen games played.

But it is an added benefit, OU coach Bob Stoops said.

"We knew how big and strong he was when we recruited him," Stoops said. "He was a good athlete in high school. Sure, we felt he'd be able to do this to a degree."

Bell threw for 5,992 yards and 69 touchdowns in his final two seasons at Bishop Carroll (Kan.) High School in Wichita.

"We always recruit our quarterback first by how he's able to throw the football," Stoops said. "And then when you can do something with it, it gives you that little extra dimension."

Bell has completed 5-of-7 passes for 74 yards this season. He threw the ball twice against Texas.

"It was awesome, just getting out there and doing something different," Bell said. "I haven't been able to read an actual defense and sling it around a bit."

http://www.tulsaworld.com/site/printerfriendlystory.aspx?articleid=20121018_92_B4 _bJeffe830806&PrintComments=1

stoops the eternal pimp
1/8/2013, 04:19 PM

The statement was that Bob Stoops does not want his quarterback to run..I'm saying that he wants a quarterback who will be able to run if need be and not throw the ball out of bounds if there is nothing there..I'm not saying we turn into Oregon.

SoonerAtKU
1/8/2013, 04:49 PM
I think we're in agreement, then, Step.

rock on sooner
1/8/2013, 04:55 PM
Everyone is giving OU the loss at ND. Not so sure...ND loses 8 offensive starters
and 4 defensive starters to graduation...unknown if any underclassmen come out
early, most significantly, Te'o off the defense.

birddog
1/8/2013, 06:52 PM
7-5. no way am i predicting 10+ win seasons til we go through a year or 2 where we don't get our asses handed to us by an opposing coach once or twice a yr.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/8/2013, 06:57 PM
This was in response to someone suggesting that Stoops implement a "running QB scheme" which indicates something like the Oregon spread in my mind. I don't know if those guys are the right fit for something like that, but until we see otherwise, two of those three might just exist to run scout team offenses to prepare the defense for those types of QBs.

Thompson in 03 - 25 rushes for 183 yards
Thompson in 06 - 71 rushes for 151 yards

Now, I can't tell if the SoonerStats page is accounting for sacks here, but it's very telling that upon becoming the starting QB, Thompson went from 7.32 yards per carry to 2.13. This would be much easier if they counted sack yardage against passing yardage, but there you go, you take what you have.

My point is this: the next time we see a Stoops offense that heavily features a running QB will be the first time we see that offense out of Stoops.

03 - Most of that was in the 77-0 game. He wanted to punish defenses that cheated on the running back and did so.
04 - redshirt year
05 - Against TCU - he would NOT run with the ball. No idea what happened here, but 1 year later he went from a guy who would run too much to a guy who wouldn't run at all. That was the primary reason we lost that game (and he lost his job at QB to Bomar).

I Am Right
1/8/2013, 07:16 PM
Lose 7

cvsooner
1/8/2013, 07:21 PM
Eifert is leaving too. He's an underclassman, but he's offense.

cvsooner
1/8/2013, 07:23 PM
03 - Most of that was in the 77-0 game. He wanted to punish defenses that cheated on the running back and did so.
04 - redshirt year
05 - Against TCU - he would NOT run with the ball. No idea what happened here, but 1 year later he went from a guy who would run too much to a guy who wouldn't run at all. That was the primary reason we lost that game (and he lost his job at QB to Bomar).

No line in 05 and not much opportunity to run. I'm reminded that most scrambling quarterbacks historically don't have a lot of success because the primary reason they're scrambling is no offensive line production. That's why a Manziel is so devastating...an excellent o-line opening up lots of room for runs and passes.

thecrimsoncrusader
1/8/2013, 07:32 PM

jkm, that would be speculation in regards to saying Bell would throw less interceptions or even less interceptions when the game is on the line for that matter. Those were just counter statements to how Landry "won" those games. He also was a culprit of momentum swings in those games that went in favor of the opposition. Fortunately, he made up for it in the end.

One thing that I don't believe is speculation though is when the going gets tough, I don't see Blake running out of bounds if a yard can be gained and I don't see him diving short of first downs just to save his own skin.

Harry Beanbag
1/8/2013, 07:32 PM
6-6. And that is assuming a win over Monroe.

8timechamps
1/8/2013, 08:13 PM
8/31 Louisiana-Monroe It'll be closer than it should be (new QB and ULM isn't a bad team). WIN
09/07 West Virginia - WVU is in trouble on offense next year, and they're defense is actually worse than OU's. WIN
09/14 Tulsa - Again, this one may be closer than is should be. WIN
09/28 at Notre Dame - I'm not convinced that ND is going to "be back" again next year, but they are better. LOSS
10/05 TCU - This one worries me, but I still think OU out-talents TCU. WIN
10/12 Texas (in Dallas) - Obviously our b!itch. WIN
10/19 at Kansas - WIN
10/26 Texas Tech - WIN
11/09 at Baylor - WIN
11/16 Iowa State - WIN
11/23 at Kansas State - Klein is gone, so is Arthur Brown. WIN
12/07 at Oklahoma State - I hate it, but the Pokes will be better next year. LOSS

10-2, assuming whichever QB plays can complete passes. That's more of a statement about how down the conference will be next year. I was thinking more along the lines of a 9-3/8-4 kind of season, but going through the schedule game by game, I just can't find that many losses. TCU could be tough, and there's always the possibility that Texas wins, but both of those are doubtful.

EDIT: Although worst case may actually be going 12-0 and then ****ting the bed in the bowl game.

After watching ND get embarrassed, I couldn't help but think "at least the blow-out spotlight will be moved from OU to ND now" and "thank God that isn't OU". In fact, I don't want OU to go to another BCS game (or playoff) until Stoops fields a team that can compete. I'd rather beat Iowa in the Boone's Farm Bowl than get clown stomped in the Fiesta.

East Coast Bias
1/8/2013, 08:56 PM
You could say the trend in college ball is shaded toward running QB's with Golston and Manziel types, but Alabama does it with a drop-back passer and a kick-*** line and RB. I think Switzer had it right in saying it is not the formation but the talent. I think if we had an offensive line like Alabama, even our skat-backs would tear it up. Also all you need from the QB is a lot of play-action and an occassional bomb when they cheat up.....

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/8/2013, 08:58 PM
jkm, that would be speculation in regards to saying Bell would throw less interceptions or even less interceptions when the game is on the line for that matter. Those were just counter statements to how Landry "won" those games. He also was a culprit of momentum swings in those games that went in favor of the opposition. Fortunately, he made up for it in the end.

One thing that I don't believe is speculation though is when the going gets tough, I don't see Blake running out of bounds if a yard can be gained and I don't see him diving short of first downs just to save his own skin.

Okay, it came across like Bell was going to fix all of those problems. I totally agree with you that Landry picked the worst times in football games to go brain dead. I was just curious what you saw in Bell that you thought he wasn't going to do the same thing considering he fumbled a sure TD in one of our losses and then got stuffed multiple times in another.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/8/2013, 09:00 PM
No line in 05 and not much opportunity to run. I'm reminded that most scrambling quarterbacks historically don't have a lot of success because the primary reason they're scrambling is no offensive line production. That's why a Manziel is so devastating...an excellent o-line opening up lots of room for runs and passes.

TCU was DARING him to run and he wouldn't do it. The coaches were on the sidelines doing the "dude, you have to run that ball" motions and he wouldn't do it.

8timechamps
1/8/2013, 09:01 PM
You could say the trend in college ball is shaded toward running QB's with Golston and Manziel types, but Alabama does it with a drop-back passer and a kick-*** line and RB. I think Switzer had it right in saying it is not the formation but the talent. I think if we had an offensive line like Alabama, even our skat-backs would tear it up. Also all you need from the QB is a lot of play-action and an occassional bomb when they cheat up.....

True, but Bama lost to A&M. If teams in the SEC start to adapt that style, what does that do to Bama?

I think in 10 years, you'll see a much different SEC. You'll see an up-tempo, offensive minded SEC. I also think you'll see a defensive minded Big XII (assuming it's still around).

Coaches in the SEC are going to see A&M's success and think that's the way to be Alabama, and then try to replicate that. Meanwhile, the Big XII coaches are trying to figure out how to produce better defenses. Those things will lead to the results I mentioned.

cvsooner
1/8/2013, 09:06 PM
TCU was DARING him to run and he wouldn't do it. The coaches were on the sidelines doing the "dude, you have to run that ball" motions and he wouldn't do it.

You're right, I'm sure. Didn't see all that game, only some of it on TV.

SoonerLaw09
1/8/2013, 09:13 PM
9-3, Big XII runner-up, Alamo or Cotton Bowl.

Sound familiar?

SoonerKnight
1/9/2013, 11:16 AM
BS. I think we'll get away with maybe one loss next year! I think we are better than given credit for. I also think the QB play will be fine with whoever we go with Bell or Knight!

thecrimsoncrusader
1/9/2013, 11:52 AM
Okay, it came across like Bell was going to fix all of those problems. I totally agree with you that Landry picked the worst times in football games to go brain dead. I was just curious what you saw in Bell that you thought he wasn't going to do the same thing considering he fumbled a sure TD in one of our losses and then got stuffed multiple times in another.

One thing I noticed when going back and watching the Belldozer between last season and early this season is during those times earlier, when the ball was snapped, there would be a slight hesitation by the defense to see whether Bell was going to run or pass. That slightest bit of hesitation allowed him to build up full momentum where it was just a matter of physics by the time he hit the LOS and it was all she wrote. He was going to get a first down conversion or cross the goal line.

Now however, just as soon as the ball is snapped, teams are immediately firing off the ball and not waiting to see what he is going to do, because 99.9999999% of the time, he is going to run. This will be an interesting dynamic next season when Bell is all on the field all of the time and with what should be more seasoned passing because teams could be back in the situation of having that slight hesitation since they are not sure he is going to run or pass that could give Oklahoma an edge.

Blake has good power and straight line speed for his size, but what I am going to be real interested in seeing next season is his actual mobility in the pocket when things break down. Basically, how is his lateral mobility at the collegiate level. That's going to be a big key to opening up the Sooner running game like it never has been before.

KantoSooner
1/9/2013, 12:02 PM
Yup. I liked what I saw from Bell, especially his patience. Looking forward to seeing what he does if he's truly the chosen one.

BoomerSoonerTexasscks
1/9/2013, 12:29 PM

Its not how many but its when he threw them. He was a 4 year starter and he them some picks in big moments that a pee-wee player wouldn't throw.

MyT Oklahoma
1/9/2013, 12:30 PM
Yeaaah! Yeaaah! Yeaaah! << Doing my best Howard Dean meltdown impersonation.

I have no idea what to expect next year so my expectations will not be really high based on what I saw this year, and also based on who is leaving and who we have recruited for next year. Hopefully someone will surprise me. You never know.

Boomer..........

SoonerMarkVA
1/9/2013, 12:40 PM
09/07 West Virginia WIN
09/14 Tulsa WIN
09/28 at Notre Dame LOSS
10/05 TCU WIN
10/19 at Kansas WIN
10/26 Texas Tech WIN
11/09 at Baylor WIN
11/16 Iowa State WIN

I expect 3 losses in some way or another, and these 3 just seem the most likely. We're capable of beating everyone, but not likely to do it. We'll get to 10 wins by facing some over-matched B1G or P12 team in a lesser bowl.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/9/2013, 01:36 PM
Its not how many but its when he threw them. He was a 4 year starter and he them some picks in big moments that a pee-wee player wouldn't throw.

I think you need to step back and see how much blame you are putting on the QB compared to the offense as a whole. You see when the QB is the only thing that works he has no safety net when things are going poorly. This means that all success and failure falls completely on his shoulders. What you and the rest of the Landry haters fail to do is to give him any credit for the success of this team (meaning that without him it was a 7-5 team) and give him every single bit of the blame for failures.

Personally, I haven't seen anything other than running the ball 2 yards that indicates to me that Blake Bell is better than Landry. And I wouldn't be surprised if we have a different starting QB at some point next year than Bell.

1/9/2013, 02:24 PM
[QUOTE=8timechamps;

"After watching ND get embarrassed, I couldn't help but think "at least the blow-out spotlight will be moved from OU to ND now" and "thank God that isn't OU". In fact, I don't want OU to go to another BCS game (or playoff) until Stoops fields a team that can compete. I'd rather beat Iowa in the Boone's Farm Bowl than get clown stomped in the Fiesta."

I'm okay with this, too. Hopefully, the Big 12 won't be so crappy that the winner of the conference will be a BCS patsy(or, a losing foe to just about any SEC SEC SEC foe.

Mac94
1/9/2013, 02:34 PM
I'm okay with this, too. Hopefully, the Big 12 won't be so crappy that the winner of the conference will be a BCS patsy(or, a losing foe to just about any SEC SEC SEC foe.

I think it depends on matchups ... if the bowls had gone as forecast (&@%^@#% N. illinois) and OU played Florida in the Sugar ... I honestly think OU would have won and things would be much calmer around here. OU just needs to get their mindset right ... act like the opponent is wearing burnt orange each week.

1/9/2013, 02:41 PM
One thing I noticed when going back and watching the Belldozer between last season and early this season is during those times earlier, when the ball was snapped, there would be a slight hesitation by the defense to see whether Bell was going to run or pass. That slightest bit of hesitation allowed him to build up full momentum where it was just a matter of physics by the time he hit the LOS and it was all she wrote. He was going to get a first down conversion or cross the goal line.

Now however, just as soon as the ball is snapped, teams are immediately firing off the ball and not waiting to see what he is going to do, because 99.9999999% of the time, he is going to run. This will be an interesting dynamic next season when Bell is all on the field all of the time and with what should be more seasoned passing because teams could be back in the situation of having that slight hesitation since they are not sure he is going to run or pass that could give Oklahoma an edge.

Blake has good power and straight line speed for his size, but what I am going to be real interested in seeing next season is his actual mobility in the pocket when things break down. Basically, how is his lateral mobility at the collegiate level. That's going to be a big key to opening up the Sooner running game like it never has been before.yes! and will Bob let whoever is QB run if he wants to? I don't know why it is that Landry didn't run hardly any. Was that Landry's choice, or Bob's?

sooneron
1/9/2013, 03:21 PM
9-3 prolly with a loss at ND and OSU with one WTF? loss to someone less talented. It coold be 8-4, but it just seems that the B12 will continue to be down next year.

thecrimsoncrusader
1/9/2013, 03:33 PM
yes! and will Bob let whoever is QB run if he wants to? I don't know why it is that Landry didn't run hardly any. Was that Landry's choice, or Bob's?

This is merely from the outside looking in point of view, but Coach Stoops didn't want Landry to run, but Landry took it waaaaaaaay to literally. There are times when you would expect a football player's instincts to kick in and when rolling out of the pocket, if your receivers are covered and there is no one within 10 yards of you, at least take that 5 yards and you can still avoid contact. Landry didn't even do that, which was extremely frustrating. He was robotic in automatically throwing it away without actually assessing the situation. Or perhaps he assessed the situation and repeatedly had bad vision. :)

Socrefbek
1/9/2013, 06:57 PM
OU loses a minimum of 4 games next year

hvhurricane
1/9/2013, 07:02 PM
Do some of you really think Bell is going to be able to run the spread option game next year? The only thing he has showin is the ability to get 2 yards in the Belldozer package. I haven't seen anything from him that would make me think he has the ability to be a mobile running QB. I will be surprised if OU doesn't have to go to another QB at some point during the year. I am not sold on Bell as the QB.

SoonerofAlabama
1/9/2013, 07:03 PM
7-6

ashley
1/9/2013, 08:11 PM
It is not going to be Bell. We will look much different next year.

1/9/2013, 08:28 PM
This is merely from the outside looking in point of view, but Coach Stoops didn't want Landry to run, but Landry took it waaaaaaaay to literally. There are times when you would expect a football player's instincts to kick in and when rolling out of the pocket, if your receivers are covered and there is no one within 10 yards of you, at least take that 5 yards and you can still avoid contact. Landry didn't even do that, which was extremely frustrating. He was robotic in automatically throwing it away without actually assessing the situation. Or perhaps he assessed the situation and repeatedly had bad vision. :)That's my view, and I doubt we're alone there.

BudSooner
1/9/2013, 08:51 PM
ULM is not guaranteed win, I heard Silas Robertson is the front runner for starting qb heading into the spring game....hey he outran a Bengal tiger back in 'Nam.

JACK! :D

BigTip
1/9/2013, 09:03 PM
13-0 baby!!
http://www.deviantart.com/download/255870505/homer_simpson_by_marinav92-d48c6y1.jpg

thecrimsoncrusader
1/9/2013, 09:33 PM
Do some of you really think Bell is going to be able to run the spread option game next year? The only thing he has showin is the ability to get 2 yards in the Belldozer package. I haven't seen anything from him that would make me think he has the ability to be a mobile running QB. I will be surprised if OU doesn't have to go to another QB at some point during the year. I am not sold on Bell as the QB.

No, but he will run the ball about 8 to 10 times a game next season, which will help immensely. You must of missed his 50 yard run in the Baylor game or is fake in the ATM game. I will be surprised if OU goes to another QB at some point during the year unless there is an injury to Blake Bell.

thecrimsoncrusader
1/10/2013, 08:38 AM
Randle is going pro. That's a big loss for OSU on offense. Jeremy Smith is solid, but not even in the same category as Randle.

BoomerSoonerTexasscks
1/10/2013, 09:24 AM
I think you need to step back and see how much blame you are putting on the QB compared to the offense as a whole. You see when the QB is the only thing that works he has no safety net when things are going poorly. This means that all success and failure falls completely on his shoulders. What you and the rest of the Landry haters fail to do is to give him any credit for the success of this team (meaning that without him it was a 7-5 team) and give him every single bit of the blame for failures.

Personally, I haven't seen anything other than running the ball 2 yards that indicates to me that Blake Bell is better than Landry. And I wouldn't be surprised if we have a different starting QB at some point next year than Bell.

I'll freely admit that he played better in some games this year than I thought he would. He had chances to fold at W.V. and OSU but he stepped up. But some of the decisions he made at critical times were horrible. Throw the ball into the second deck or something just don't throw it up for grabs.

OUChampsBig12
1/10/2013, 02:22 PM
Stoops is the Best 10 Win Coach in the Country, and there is nothing wrong with that! So I say 10-2, iffy on bowl win. This team will rebuild and be better! The starting QB next year Trevor Knight, just saying!

josh09
1/10/2013, 02:53 PM
From an offensive point of view, this team could be unstoppable(in Big 12 play). But defensively, there's so much uncertainty that another 3-loss season could be in the cards. I'm just praying that Blake is ready to handle the starting QB position.

picasso
1/10/2013, 07:35 PM
If you think he isn't a capable runner then you're not very perceptive.

FaninAma
1/10/2013, 10:45 PM
12-0. Bell has it. Defense will be better since Mike has had more time with the players.
The improvement will be similiar to the improvement between 1999 and 2000.

TXBOOMER
1/10/2013, 10:51 PM
I think we will have between 6 and 8 wins next year. Hopefully will be a year used to get a ton of young players valuable experience to be competitive with elite teams again.

cvsooner
1/11/2013, 12:56 AM
12-0. Bell has it. Defense will be better since Mike has had more time with the players.

Gosh, that would be sweet. I'm doubtful with the schedule but the saving grace is the Big 12 is no powerhouse next year. TCU (if Pachall can come back) and OSewe look to be the strongest teams coming back, tho OSewe has defensive problems to fix and Randle was a good one...and maybe Texas, maybe, if they can get their act together, but they've got as many holes as we do. KSU shot its bolt this season, Iowa State is...well, Iowa State, Tech is breaking in a new coach and QB, WVU has to rebuild the offense and has more defensive problems than we do, Baylor will have to find a QB but the running game is salty, and defense is a recurring problem there too. Heh, Kansas may be in the driver's seat!

Big 12 looks to me that it's there for the taking next season, but lots of 'ifs'.

misplaced_sooner
1/12/2013, 01:40 AM
12-0 LOL

Sunshine pumping. This program has been spiraling downward for the last ~5 years. If you can't see it, you ain't looking.

9-3, all in conference, we beat a third tier team in a weak bowl game. Face it boys/girls, we are second tier and sliding.

PLaw
1/12/2013, 10:15 AM
As much as it pains me to say this, I think there could be another 10+ win season and another a$$ kicking in a bowl against a quality opponent.

Right now, we don't have the D speed to play with an Oregon or the lines to compete with a Bamar. It will be interesting to see the changes on the offense with a mobile QB. Hopefully, they will move away from coming up to the line and then checking over to the sideline for the play - the pseudo hurry up. Really need Norvell calling the plays, but it may take a significant loss for Bobby to pull that trigger.

Bummer

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
1/12/2013, 10:15 AM
I think we will have between 6 and 8 wins next year. Hopefully will be a year used to get a ton of young players valuable experience to be competitive with elite teams again.

Not a chance. 10-2. 1 conf loss. Could be back in Tempe.

JLEW1818
1/12/2013, 10:54 AM
Stfu

picasso
1/12/2013, 10:59 AM
12-0 LOL

Sunshine pumping. This program has been spiraling downward for the last ~5 years. If you can't see it, you ain't looking.

9-3, all in conference, we beat a third tier team in a weak bowl game. Face it boys/girls, we are second tier and sliding.
We aren't sliding anymore than we have a few times in the past. We'll make another run in the very near future.

Soonerjeepman
1/12/2013, 12:08 PM
We'll make another run in the very near future.

according to Bob...every 4 yrs...we are already a yr or 2 behind. :witless:

picasso
1/12/2013, 03:38 PM
according to Bob...every 4 yrs...we are already a yr or 2 behind. :witless:

Well he is right. And so are you.

SoonerStormchaser
1/12/2013, 03:41 PM
Beating Domer, little brother, and Texass by eight touchdowns or more...that is all I ask

swardboy
12/19/2013, 09:51 PM
Stoops is the Best 10 Win Coach in the Country, and there is nothing wrong with that! So I say 10-2, iffy on bowl win. This team will rebuild and be better! The starting QB next year Trevor Knight, just saying!

I deem this the best post from this january thread. There were quite a few 10-2 predictions, but almost all predicted losses to Notre Dame and OSU...and winning over Baylor. Ashley had the best post about our offense changing...most didn't think Stoops would dare go to a running QB. How much mud is on your face?

birddog
12/20/2013, 01:13 AM
Way too early to set my expectations.

Post of the year?

BoulderSooner79
12/20/2013, 01:29 AM
I expect to go undefeated the rest of the year.

Curly Bill
12/20/2013, 01:32 AM
I expect to go undefeated the rest of the year.

If you mean "calendar year" I agree with you. Otherwise....not so much. ;)

BoulderSooner79
12/20/2013, 09:16 AM
If you mean "calendar year" I agree with you. Otherwise....not so much. ;)

You caught that, eh? ;)