PDA

View Full Version : Saban is the best college coach of all time

JLEW1818
1/7/2013, 09:57 PM
If he cares to keep coaching he will win a title at least every third year.

Hell, take away the years he went pro, and has he won the national title on average every other year in the last 10 years pretty much? ****.

cleller
1/7/2013, 10:00 PM
I was wondering when this thread would show up.

"All time" is too big a field for me to think about, but in any kinds of recent history, no one touches him. He's got a heck of a staff, and roster, which helps.

JLEW1818
1/7/2013, 10:02 PM
College football is so much more competitive now, compared to 30 years ago.

Sure all-time is debatable. But holy hell I'd like to see an argument.

Midtowner
1/7/2013, 10:02 PM
"All time" is probably accurate. College football is a lot more competitive than it was 20-30+ years ago. Lots more money/booster/etc. issues to worry about. Absolutely huge salaries compared to yesteryears and much greater expectations. Saban is out there absolutely dominating college football and it's more competitive than it's ever been.

JLEW1818
1/7/2013, 10:03 PM
Roster? He continually has fantastic offensive lines and great linebackers. Saban is the true definition of reloading.

Soonerjeepman
1/7/2013, 10:09 PM
maybe someday we can be there... lol

GDC
1/7/2013, 10:17 PM
It's because he yanks the schollies of under-performers and passes them on to new recruits.

aero
1/7/2013, 10:29 PM
He's certainly making the list awfully slim of who compares. None in recent years. Carroll and Meyer had it going somewhat but still not on the same level. Things go in cycles and I'm guessing Saban and Bama will be no different. Saban seems pretty driven but right now he doesn't look to be suffering from the pressures that seem to affect so many coaches, especially those at high profile, expect-to-win, schools. Carroll seemed like he handled it pretty well but I think he always thought about his ticket back to the big league where he really wanted to be. Makes me wonder about Bob Stoops. Is he just not as driven? Or is his personality just different? Not sure what it is but Saban has an air about him that is different than other coaches. He's got a pretty good gig with great tradition and an excellent recruiting base. With what appears to be not great talent, Stoops and staff are going to have to produce on the coaching side to put out a winning team with national respect, which they don't have right now (similar to when he arrived here).

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/7/2013, 10:55 PM

Sure all-time is debatable. But holy hell I'd like to see an argument.according to ESPeNis, I believe, only 3 other coaches have 4 or more. Both John McKay and Frank Leahy have 4, and supposedly Bear Bryant has 6.

I've watched college football since the 1950's, and Saban has my vote for the best evar.

PLaw
1/7/2013, 10:56 PM

Hell, take away the years he went pro, and has he won the national title on average every other year in the last 10 years pretty much? ****.

Definitely approaching Wooden status in my book.

PLaw
1/7/2013, 10:58 PM
Roster? He continually has fantastic offensive lines and great linebackers. Saban is the true definition of reloading.

He manages his roster within the boundaries of the NCAA rules?? 'Ships are good for one year and you need to earn it each year. That's life - that's the real world.

TXBOOMER
1/7/2013, 11:03 PM
The best athletes of all time are playing the game. The schemes are as advanced as they have ever been. I'd vote saban best coach all time not even close.

OU_Sooners75
1/7/2013, 11:15 PM
Let's forget the Michigan State and Toledo years?

He is entering the golden age of his coaching career.

What he is doing now is on par to Tom Osborn of the 1990s.

OU_Sooners75
1/7/2013, 11:17 PM
Of course, his enter career has been suspect to bending the NCAA rules. But unless the NCAA does something, you can only accuse him of being shady.

MyT Oklahoma
1/7/2013, 11:19 PM
according to ESPeNis, I believe, only 3 other coaches have 4 or more. Both John McKay and Frank Leahy have 4, and supposedly Bear Bryant has 6.

I've watched college football since the 1950's, and Saban has my vote for the best evar.

You forgot Knute Rockne who brought home 6 national championships in a much different time period. But in his day Rockne dominated college football.

OU_Sooners75
1/7/2013, 11:23 PM
I'm sorry, but Barry Switzer in his prime was better.

Sure he only got 3 NCs. But he should have won just about every year from 1973-1978.

And with Miami being the cheaters they turned out to be, he should have won again from 1985-1987.

thecrimsoncrusader
1/7/2013, 11:25 PM
It's because he yanks the schollies of under-performers and passes them on to new recruits.

Which is exactly what Coach Stoops should be doing. Jimmy Stevens would have been a good start a few years ago when he was at Oklahoma.

MyT Oklahoma
1/7/2013, 11:27 PM
I'm sorry, but Barry Switzer in his prime was better.

Sure he only got 3 NCs. But he should have won just about every year from 1973-1978.

And with Miami being the cheaters they turned out to be, he should have won again from 1985-1987.

We weren't title worthy in 1977 though at 9-2-1 but we were worthy every other year that you mentioned.

P.S. Those were the days indeed.

OU_Sooners75
1/7/2013, 11:39 PM

Sure all-time is debatable. But holy hell I'd like to see an argument.

No offense, but spoken like a young man that's never stepped foot on a college football field to play for his colleges's team.

The eras may be different. But trust me, they were competitive in each era!

OU_Sooners75
1/7/2013, 11:42 PM
We weren't title worthy in 1977 though at 9-2-1 but we were worthy every other year that you mentioned.

P.S. Those were the days indeed.

Hence the phrase, "just about every year". ;)

1/7/2013, 11:44 PM
You forgot Knute Rockne who brought home 6 national championships in a much different time period. But in his day Rockne dominated college football.Ididn't forget. I just regurged the list that ESPeNis listed. Maybe they were just going WWII and on til now. I don't know much about Rockne. We can certainly look it up ,and judge for ourselves. ROLLLLLL TIDE! YOU GO, big red elephants!!!

Jacie
1/7/2013, 11:48 PM
Do you think he was upset there at the end cause he knew they wouldn't put 50 on the board?

MyT Oklahoma
1/7/2013, 11:49 PM
Ididn't forget. I just regurged the list that ESPeNis listed. Maybe they were just going WWII and on til now. I don't know much about Rockne. We can certainly look it up ,and judge for ourselves. ROLLLLLL TIDE! YOU GO, big red elephants!!!

The only reason I remember Rockne is because back in December I locked my keys in my car at the Matfield Green rest stop on the Kansas Turnpike. So while I waited for the locksmith to come from El Dorado I had nothing better to do than read the stuff there on display about him. He had a heck of a career in the 12 to 13 years that he coached there.

1/7/2013, 11:53 PM
Do you think he was upset there at the end cause he knew they wouldn't put 50 on the board?HE SHOULD HAVE BEEN. Anytime you get a chance to grind it in on los domer, it's time well spent.

Piware
1/8/2013, 12:26 AM
Do you think he was upset there at the end cause he knew they wouldn't put 50 on the board?

I don't know about Saban but I was sure wishing they would hang a half on 'em.

ashley
1/8/2013, 08:22 AM
In modern football I say Royal, Bryant, Switzer, Osburn and Saben. Running the ball never goes out of style.

WA. Sooner
1/8/2013, 08:46 AM
Bill Snyder is in the conversation. What would he have done with resources that Stoops and Saben has

jkjsooner
1/8/2013, 09:15 AM

It helps a lot that he can lose a game and still get to the title game. Whereas it used to be hard to win a title in the SEC now you'll get every benefit of the doubt.

How many other coaches would have done the same if every one loss team of theirs made it to the title game?

jkjsooner
1/8/2013, 09:20 AM
He manages his roster within the boundaries of the NCAA rules?? 'Ships are good for one year and you need to earn it each year. That's life - that's the real world.

Or not even a year for the incoming grey shirts. Within the rules? Yes. Ethical? Not a chance.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/8/2013, 09:24 AM
Have to agree with jlew on this one..

jkjsooner
1/8/2013, 09:26 AM
I'd also point out that college football is not more competitive. The powers that would normally challenge the SEC have faded. How many of these guys would be at Miami or FSU had it been 15 years ago? Where is Michigan or Texas or USC?

1/8/2013, 12:07 PM
Let's forget the Michigan State and Toledo years?

He is entering the golden age of his coaching career.

What he is doing now is on par to Tom Osborn of the 1990s.I really doubt Saban is anywhere near retiring.

TUSooner
1/8/2013, 12:30 PM
**** Makes me wonder about Bob Stoops. Is he just not as driven? Or is his personality just different? Not sure what it is but Saban has an air about him that is different than other coaches. He's got a pretty good gig with great tradition and an excellent recruiting base. With what appears to be not great talent, Stoops and staff are going to have to produce on the coaching side to put out a winning team with national respect, which they don't have right now (similar to when he arrived here).

Yes.

As Bud once said (sort-of): "Anybody can have will to win on game day; CHAMPIONS have the will to PREPARE to win."

Yes, the staff matters and the talent matters, but the ATTITUDE is even more important, and that starts at the top.

Saban is all game, all football, all preparation to win, no nonsense, no goofing off, all the ****ing time. His teams are disciplined and focused.

Bob, for all I know, still has "family day" during the practice week. Our teams are sloppy and crumble under pressure.
You reap what you sow.

Bob is fine man and smart-enough coach, but there's no way he or his team are driven anything like Saban drives Bama. And as long as that is so, there's NO WAY we will ever be champs like Bama.

TUSooner
1/8/2013, 12:43 PM
He was more miffed that his D gave up 14.

1/8/2013, 12:48 PM
Saban rebuit LSU , and made NC caliber teams for them an ongoing thing. Even the Mad Hatter hasn't be able to flock it up. Then, Saban goes to the pros for a couple of years, comes back and totally rebuilds the Bamer red elephants, and he ain't letting go. I think he wants to beat Bryant's # of NC's.

thecrimsoncrusader
1/8/2013, 12:59 PM
Saban is a spineless coward if he doesn't go back and coach in the NFL. No really, he should go and reclaim his manhood.

1/11/2013, 01:23 PM
Saban is a spineless coward if he doesn't go back and coach in the NFL. No really, he should go and reclaim his manhood.Somebody go get a hypnotist who will work this one.

Jason White's Third Knee
1/11/2013, 01:42 PM
Saban is a ruthless oversigner and cares nothin about the kids he recruits. His antics screw up kids lives. Yep. He wins, but at the cost of some kid's future.

**** Saban. I'll keep Bob. I'll bitch, but Bob has character. He gets rid of bad apples. He doesn't oversign. He runs a clean program.

Eielson
1/11/2013, 06:47 PM
I'd give the edge to Meyer. He's had great success at Bowling Green, Utah, Florida, and Ohio State. He's basically won the equivalent of a national championship at all of his stops except Bowling Green (where he went 17-6, and 3-0 against Big XII teams). You'd have to completely overlook Saban's Michigan State years.

Meyer bowl record: 7-1
Saban bowl record: 8-6

Seamus
1/11/2013, 07:45 PM
Somebody go get a hypnotist who will work this one.

+1

I was thinking maybe a pyschotherapist and some good pharmacology. Thorazine, maybe with a Zyklon B chaser.

1/11/2013, 08:37 PM
I'd give the edge to Meyer. He's had great success at Bowling Green, Utah, Florida, and Ohio State. He's basically won the equivalent of a national championship at all of his stops except Bowling Green (where he went 17-6, and 3-0 against Big XII teams). You'd have to completely overlook Saban's Michigan State years.

Saban bowl record: 8-6NO DOUBT Meyer is a good one! He's the only coach who has any credentials close to Saban's, and it will certainly be interesting to see how those 2 fare in upcoming yrs. Also, worth watching are Chip kelley, Brian Kelley, Kevin Sumlin, David Shaw, Mad Hatter, Clemson coach, Mark Richt, maybe more?

Down a tier are Bob Stoops, Bill Snyder, Steve Spurrier, the FU and FSU coaches, orange Gundy, and who else am I leaving out?

JLEW1818
1/11/2013, 10:22 PM

Saban bowl record: 8-6

4 National Titles vs 2 National Titles.

Saban had won 4 titles in his last 8 college coaching years.

Made Bama and LSU magnificent.

Texas Golfer
1/11/2013, 10:47 PM
Of all time is, well, a long time. When Saban wina 47 consecutive games, get back to me.

1/12/2013, 12:22 AM
Of all time is, well, a long time. When Saban wina 47 consecutive games, get back to me.THAT ONE is a tough one to beat...for anybody/team. That's why i was freakin' out so when the usuc's had an imaginable shot at it after the '05 season. Thank allah that the whorn upt and beat the usucs then!!! even a whorn NC is better than anyone/team beating Bud's 47 in a row.

SoonerNomad
1/12/2013, 02:05 PM
NO DOUBT Meyer is a good one! He's the only coach who has any credentials close to Saban's, and it will certainly be interesting to see how those 2 fare in upcoming yrs. Also, worth watching are Chip kelley, Brian Kelley, Kevin Sumlin, David Shaw, Mad Hatter, Clemson coach, Mark Richt, maybe more?

Down a tier are Bob Stoops, Bill Snyder, Steve Spurrier, the FU and FSU coaches, orange Gundy, and who else am I leaving out?

So you would put all those guys above Coach Stoops when they haven't accomplished what he has accomplished. Are you talking about this week? Are you talking about next year? Sumlin and Shaw are the flavors of the day. They are certainly good young coaches with bright futures. The Clemson coach? Really, the Clemson coach is in a group above Bob Stoops? His name is Dabbo Swinney and he struggles in the "mighty" ACC on a regular basis. Mark Richt? Mark Richt is a higher level coach than Bob Stoops? Go ask Georgia fans about Mark Richt. He has won less with more than almost anyone in history. He has been in the SEC for 14 years and he has had NFL talent up and down his roster, (Stafford, Moreno, tons of others) and he has yet to reach the levels that Coach Stoops has. He is one of the reasons Coach Saban regularly outcoaches everyone in the SEC. Your list is based too much on what just happened. My guess is you would have had Holgorson and Gundy on your list last year. Coach Stoops has been, IS, and will remain one of the upper echelon coaches in college football. Our recent disappointment notwithstanding Coach Stoops is still one of the best. Is he perfect? Not even close. Is he one of the best? Yes.

goingoneight
1/12/2013, 06:35 PM
Putting Bob below 4-5 coaches who have never won an MNC and never will as well as Les Miles proves that our fans have lost their minds.

agoo758
1/12/2013, 06:39 PM
Putting Bob below 4-5 coaches who have never won an MNC and never will as well as Les Miles proves that our fans have lost their minds.

I think he is referring to right now, as opposed to past accomplishments, which is how it should be, and in which case a number of those listed would be accurate.

Do you care more that we won 12 years ago? Or do you care more that we arn't winning now?

1/13/2013, 01:09 AM
I think he is referring to right now, as opposed to past accomplishments, WHICH IS HOW IT SHOULD BE, and in which case a number of those listed would be accurate.

Do you care more that we won 12 years ago? Or do you care more that we arn't winning now?Some folks chose to get angry rather than look at the situation this way.

DrZaius
1/13/2013, 09:28 AM
Of all time is, well, a long time. When Saban wina 47 consecutive games, get back to me.

Bud's teams also went 12 consecutive seasons totaling 74 games (1947–1958) without a loss in conference play. A record that NO ONE has even come close to.

1/13/2013, 11:22 AM
Bud's teams also went 12 consecutive seasons totaling 74 games (1947–1958) without a loss in conference play. A record that NO ONE has even come close to.They used to call it Oklahoma and the 7 dwarves.(NTTAWWT)

SoonerAtKU
1/14/2013, 10:32 AM
Don't forget that if there weren't free tattoos available to athletes in Columbus, Saban wouldn't have been in the title game this year, and the SEC would have been shut out. That's Meyer for you. They're going to have everyone talking up the Big Ten in less than two years.

C&CDean
1/14/2013, 10:52 AM
Saban is a ruthless oversigner and cares nothin about the kids he recruits. His antics screw up kids lives. Yep. He wins, but at the cost of some kid's future.

**** Saban. I'll keep Bob. I'll bitch, but Bob has character. He gets rid of bad apples. He doesn't oversign. He runs a clean program.

Pretty much sums it up for me. **** him. He's got horns and a pointy tail and has a 666 tattooed on his ***.

People are forgetting about the young mens' lives he ruins.

Midtowner
1/14/2013, 03:26 PM
Pretty much sums it up for me. **** him. He's got horns and a pointy tail and has a 666 tattooed on his ***.

People are forgetting about the young mens' lives he ruins.

Does anyone think that those kids aren't aware of what Saban does?

If the NCAA doesn't do something about it, then I say it's about time Stoops and Co. adjust to a new and ****ty reality of college football.

KantoSooner
1/14/2013, 05:01 PM
Saban also enforces a complete discipline on his teams and somehow coaches aggression. You don't see his teams walk out, half asleep and out of position.

I'm no great fan of Little Nickie, but he does produce football teams that flat get the job done.

The talent levels are not that different between OU and Bama. Somehow they are getting more out of theirs. Some of it is injuries, but some of it is coaching.

Fraggle145
1/14/2013, 05:09 PM
Saban also enforces a complete discipline on his teams and somehow coaches aggression. You don't see his teams walk out, half asleep and out of position.

What do you call the first half against aTm then? If you watched Bama this year you would know they were notriously slow starters in almost all of their home games. Ask our resident SEC homer Sabanball he'll fill you in...

KantoSooner
1/14/2013, 05:40 PM
Mebbe on an absolute scale, but I didn't see them wander around lost like we did more than a couple time.

C&CDean
1/14/2013, 06:07 PM

If the NCAA doesn't do something about it, then I say it's about time Stoops and Co. adjust to a new and ****ty reality of college football.

But the children....oh the humanity....

Sabanball
1/14/2013, 08:01 PM
What do you call the first half against aTm then? If you watched Bama this year you would know they were notriously slow starters in almost all of their home games. Ask our resident SEC homer Sabanball he'll fill you in...

UGA, TAMU, and LSU were the only teams this yr to take us to the wire. Every single other game our guys played this yr was over at the half--including against the overrated Domers.

1/14/2013, 08:09 PM

If the NCAA doesn't do something about it, then I say it's about time Stoops and Co. adjust to a new and ****ty reality of college football.ANOTHER good post! bully!

ashley
1/14/2013, 09:08 PM

I'm no great fan of Little Nickie, but he does produce football teams that flat get the job done.

The talent levels are not that different between OU and Bama. Somehow they are getting more out of theirs. Some of it is injuries, but some of it is coaching.

Did you happen to notice their O-Line, front 7 and running backs. How could you have missed this?

PLaw
1/14/2013, 10:19 PM
UGA, TAMU, and LSU were the only teams this yr to take us to the wire. Every single other game our guys played this yr was over at the half--including against the overrated Domers.

No, that domer game was over at 7:48 in the first quarter.

Boomer

Eielson
1/14/2013, 11:58 PM

If Saban made Alabama magnificent, then Meyer gets credit for making Florida magnificent. He can also counter LSU with Utah. Now he's on to restoring Ohio State at record time.

The four to two argument is very weak. Like I said, Utah won the equivalent of a national championship. They went undefeated and won a BCS bowl game. You can't ask for more than that. If I'm not mistaken, the non-AQ monster (a title only BSU ever shared) he created went on to demolish Saban in the Sugar bowl a few years later. If Ohio State hadn't been on probation, they would have won the championship instead of Alabama. So in conclusion, Saban has won in the SEC (and nowhere else), but Meyer has won in the SEC, Big 10, and at a non-AQ school.

Saban is one of the greatest to ever coach. No doubt. I think Ohio State and Alabama will have some historic coaching battles in the coming years. Meyer has the edge, though. He wins everywhere he goes. Has anybody else ever had undefeated seasons at three straight schools?

Eielson
1/15/2013, 12:02 AM
NO DOUBT Meyer is a good one! He's the only coach who has any credentials close to Saban's, and it will certainly be interesting to see how those 2 fare in upcoming yrs. Also, worth watching are Chip kelley, Brian Kelley, Kevin Sumlin, David Shaw, Mad Hatter, Clemson coach, Mark Richt, maybe more?

Your "worth watching" list is worse than your second tier.

jkjsooner
1/15/2013, 07:59 AM
But the children....oh the humanity....

"Sorry, son. I know we told you in February when you signed a binding agreement with us that we had a scholarship but it's August now and Joe qualified so we no longer need you. I know everyone else offered to pay your way and your family is poor but you're welcome to stay on and pay your own way. Sorry the NCAA won't let you transfer to a D1 school since that paper you signed is binding for you. (chuckle). I promise if you leave I won't pull a Les Miles and tell everyone you were a problem child."

Sorry, I don't want Stoops playing that game.

JLEW1818
1/15/2013, 11:58 PM

If Saban made Alabama magnificent, then Meyer gets credit for making Florida magnificent. He can also counter LSU with Utah. Now he's on to restoring Ohio State at record time.

The four to two argument is very weak. Like I said, Utah won the equivalent of a national championship. They went undefeated and won a BCS bowl game. You can't ask for more than that. If I'm not mistaken, the non-AQ monster (a title only BSU ever shared) he created went on to demolish Saban in the Sugar bowl a few years later. If Ohio State hadn't been on probation, they would have won the championship instead of Alabama. So in conclusion, Saban has won in the SEC (and nowhere else), but Meyer has won in the SEC, Big 10, and at a non-AQ school.

Saban is one of the greatest to ever coach. No doubt. I think Ohio State and Alabama will have some historic coaching battles in the coming years. Meyer has the edge, though. He wins everywhere he goes. Has anybody else ever had undefeated seasons at three straight schools?

Utah, okay? When he wins two nation titles at OSU let me know.

Don't be a stupid ****, okay?

National titles is all that matter, keep claiming conference titles and you are a typical Big12 fan.

jkjsooner
1/16/2013, 09:13 AM

National titles is all that matter, keep claiming conference titles and you are a typical Big12 fan.

What he is saying is that Meyer did as much with Utah as he could possibly do. From a coaching perspective, going undefeated at Utah is easily as impressive as winning a national title at Florida.

We're not talking winning Big 12 titles at Oklahoma as a good coach is expected to contend for national titles at Oklahoma. That is not true for Utah (before their move to the PAC-12) as they were excluded from national title contention before the season started.

Meyer hasn't spent as many years at a school that is a national title contender as Saban. He has done about all you can do at the places he has been though.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/16/2013, 11:15 AM
So Chris Peterson has won the equivalent of 2 national championships then..

Eielson
1/16/2013, 01:32 PM

You act like he can't win two championships at Ohio State. He's only been at Ohio State for a year and already has an undefeated season. If he sticks around long enough there he'll win multiple. If you want to see him win two national championships somewhere, just look to Florida.

Saban has one undefeated season. Meyer has undefeated seasons at three different schools in three different conferences. The guy got Utah into a major conference (not by himself, but he put them on the map). Don't pretend that isn't a big deal. TCU is the only other to do that, and they were benefactors of realignment chaos.

And no, national titles are not all the matter. That's nonsense.

Eielson
1/16/2013, 01:38 PM

I could stand by that. Peterson has been one of the most impressive coaches in college football over the last 7 years. Has he not done a better job than coaches like Mack Brown or Gene Chizik who each have a national championship? I'd put Peterson up there as one of the best of all time if he went on to win two NC's in the SEC and had an undefeated season in the Big 10.

1/16/2013, 01:45 PM
Your "worth watching" list is worse than your second tier.sez yew!

(neener neener)

jkjsooner
1/16/2013, 02:49 PM
And no, national titles are not all the matter. That's nonsense.

Especially when you're the coach of a team who is essentially excluded from national title contention before the first snap of the ball.

jkjsooner
1/16/2013, 02:59 PM

I think what Peterson has done is amazing.

But I'll also point out that Utah played in a much better conference than BSU. Neither are BCS conferences but the Mountain West (the original WAC) was quite a lot better than the WAC-lite.

JLEW1818
1/16/2013, 07:21 PM
Saban, 4 national titles in last 8 seasons coaching college football. Beat Meyer in the SEC title and gave him a heart attach, literally.

Scott D
1/16/2013, 10:43 PM
Jlew is the best frontrunning poster of all time.