PDA

View Full Version : Roy Finch

Tear Down This Wall
1/7/2013, 03:18 PM
Anyone?

http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/stats/_/id/501888/roy-finch

Do the coaches allow this talent to waste away on the bench again next year, or does he transfer? He never redshirted, so he can still transfer, sit, and have a year to play.

Cannot believe he only had seven rushes all season...five against Florida A&M.

Crazy.

BigJerm7
1/7/2013, 03:19 PM
Seems to be happening a lot these days.

SoonerorLater
1/7/2013, 03:26 PM
I can only assume it's because the coaches felt he didn't contribute to keeping Landry upright. I think Landry's lack of mobility created ripple effects on the offense. With a presumably more mobile QB next year I hope see some other personnel changes.

OkieThunderLion
1/7/2013, 03:36 PM
I can only assume it's because the coaches felt he didn't contribute to keeping Landry upright. I think Landry's lack of mobility created ripple effects on the offense. With a presumably more mobile QB next year I hope see some other personnel changes.
Finch's blocking (lack there of) was definitely a factor to lack of playing time, IMO. He gave up 7 points in Stillwater last year.

aurorasooner
1/7/2013, 06:58 PM
Jeez, I can't believe RF only had 7 touches this year. I actually thought he was a SR. this year. I had hoped we'd see him along with J. Saunders back for KO returns and see something creative like a double reverse. I don't know why I thought that, since outside of the Belldozer formation, there's been very little in the creative category from our coaching staff in a while.

goingoneight
1/7/2013, 08:12 PM
If you don't see him in the first game, look for him to transfer.

usmc-sooner
1/7/2013, 08:18 PM
I'd take Ross over Finch.

Since71ASooner4Life
1/7/2013, 10:33 PM

totally agree. Not bashing Landry as he was a great passer, but his lack of mobility probably wasn't recognized enough by fans for limitations it placed on us - especially 3rd & long.

I keep banging on the coaches for continually running that stupid belldozer play, but maybe Landry not being a running threat with the short field was hurting the passing game also by allowing LBs to help more in pass coverage? It seemed so obvious that play was crap against good defenses, but maybe our coaches had other reasons for over using it than just believing it would work consistently. I cant really remember if Landry had much passing success from inside the 10 Yard Line prior to that belldozer play being used all the time

OU_Sooners75
1/7/2013, 11:05 PM
Well, rumor has it the reason his play was cut was because he hates schmitty.

He and scmitty apparently go round and round.

Some here don't want to recognize it, but Schmitty needs to go. Past players cannot stand the guy....and he has too much clout when determining starters and contributors.

ousooners182
1/8/2013, 12:49 AM
I totally agree about schmitty...I think its time for a change

goingoneight
1/8/2013, 12:52 AM
Dusty and Teddy adamantly disagree. As do Rocky Calmus, Roy Williams, Adrian Peterson and DeMarco Murray. I'll take those guys' word and Schmidt's 3 MNC rings over a couple of guys who don't like to work out.

hvhurricane
1/8/2013, 07:06 PM
Thank gawd Dusty likes Schmitty. He is certainly someone who should be judging character within the program.

SoonerorLater
1/8/2013, 07:14 PM
Thank gawd Dusty likes Schmitty. He is certainly someone who should be judging character within the program.

I don't think he's judging character he's judging how effective he is as a S&C coach.

usmc-sooner
1/8/2013, 07:16 PM
he doesn't play because we have better backs in front of him.

swardboy
1/8/2013, 07:43 PM
I always felt that Finch provided an adrenaline rush to the offense with some spectacular runs his first year. Does anyone really think Joe Washington would have been a superior pass rush blocker?

8timechamps
1/8/2013, 07:53 PM
The only explanation we ever heard from an official source was that Roy didn't put in the work to see the field more (that came from Coach Norvell).

If that's the case (and I can't imagine Norvell making that up), then I am perfectly fine with the decision to limit his plays. Even if he's the most talented guy on the team, I'd rather have hard workers on the field.

If Roy wants it bad enough, he'll put in the work necessary to see the field next year. If not, then he won't. It's pretty simple.

EatLeadCommie
1/8/2013, 08:00 PM
I always felt that Finch provided an adrenaline rush to the offense with some spectacular runs his first year. Does anyone really think Joe Washington would have been a superior pass rush blocker?

He didn't need to be since we were running the wishbone.

cvsooner
1/8/2013, 08:21 PM
Little Joe was a tremendous blocker.

tulsaoilerfan
1/8/2013, 09:04 PM
The only explanation we ever heard from an official source was that Roy didn't put in the work to see the field more (that came from Coach Norvell).

If that's the case (and I can't imagine Norvell making that up), then I am perfectly fine with the decision to limit his plays. Even if he's the most talented guy on the team, I'd rather have hard workers on the field.

If Roy wants it bad enough, he'll put in the work necessary to see the field next year. If not, then he won't. It's pretty simple.

i think we have players that don't work hard enough in games also

goingoneight
1/9/2013, 10:48 PM
Anybody here think Roy Finch would even be on the practice squad if he wasn't putting in the work for Nick Saban? Finch is a good kid, but if he's not getting it done, he's right where he belongs... on special teams and on the bench.

BoomerSoonerTexasscks
1/10/2013, 09:33 AM
To quote AI, "what are we talking about? practice. Not a game. practice. Practice?" Dupree never practiced and he could still destroy opposing defenses. Granted Finch is no Dupree but I would like to see a game where he gets more than one or two touches as a running back. Having said that, it won't happen. If he doesn't but in the work, Coach won't play him. Maybe thats how it should be but I also think you have to put the best players on the field. I don't know where he slots in among the backs OU uses, but from what few carries that he gets in games he looks like a better option than Clay at #2.

OkieThunderLion
1/10/2013, 10:12 AM
he looks like a better option than Clay at #2.
I think Clay might be better than DDW.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/10/2013, 10:49 AM
I think Brennan Clay really stepped up his game this year, especially down the stretch..

MyT Oklahoma
1/10/2013, 11:27 AM
I think Brennan Clay really stepped up his game this year, especially down the stretch..

^^ Agreed.

thecrimsoncrusader
1/10/2013, 11:40 AM
Clay was an entirely different back this season. It was almost similar to the transition Chris Brown made from his junior to senior years. Despite his past disappointment, Clay has been a tremendous asset this past season and I am thankful for his game winning TD run in the OU/OSU game.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/10/2013, 11:52 AM
I think you meant sophmore to junior for Chris Brown, because he wasn't that good his senior year.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/10/2013, 12:22 PM
I always felt that Finch provided an adrenaline rush to the offense with some spectacular runs his first year. Does anyone really think Joe Washington would have been a superior pass rush blocker?His was a wasted talent. Don't know exactly what he did to keep from playing, but, it's a shame.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/10/2013, 12:30 PM
I think Brennan Clay really stepped up his game this year, especially down the stretch..I have been one of his harshest critics on this board. He HAS improved a lot. But, he would field those kickoffs in the johnny Hymen game, and take a knee in the end zone, even with us down 2 or 3 td's, and not give himself(+ the team) a chance to break open a fast score. That was also one of the errors made in the domer game. But, he DOES run a lot better than he used to, doesn't fall down like he used to, and is a bit tougher to bring down. I WOULD like to have sen more of Finch and Whaley this year, esp. in the johnny Hymen game.

SoonerMarkVA
1/10/2013, 01:43 PM

Absolutely. He went from Kejuan Jones to more like Allen Patrick. It was an incredible metamorphosis. By the end of the year, he clearly looked like the better back between him and Williams.

thecrimsoncrusader
1/10/2013, 01:55 PM
I think you meant sophmore to junior for Chris Brown, because he wasn't that good his senior year.

Same difference! :/ Yes, I meant his amazing transition from 2007 to 2008. He was a totally different back just as Clay was this season. Going from 2008 to 2009 didn't go so well due to the offensive line and the loss of Bradford and Gresham and a new receiving corps. It's a shame the 2009 defense was wasted. :(

Dan Thompson
1/10/2013, 07:11 PM
I never understood how a 5' 7" 175 pd player was to take out a LB or DE.

stoopified
1/10/2013, 07:53 PM
W Past players cannot stand the guy....and he has too much clout when determining starters and contributors.Not sure where you derive your opinion but listening to THE RUSH on KREF ,Dusty and Teddy gush over Schmitty.In addition when the subject of Schmitty needing TO GO comes up,they are adamnant in the stance that the problem is players of late are too soft.I have heard them interview numerous players including Tommie Harris,Roy Williams,AD,Davin Joesph,Jammal Brown and others who echo that position.I cannot ever recall hearing any former player who is anti-Schnitty( other than some who quit the team).

rainiersooner
1/11/2013, 02:33 PM
Well, rumor has it the reason his play was cut was because he hates schmitty.

He and scmitty apparently go round and round.

Some here don't want to recognize it, but Schmitty needs to go. Past players cannot stand the guy....and he has too much clout when determining starters and contributors.

Seriously, how hard can it be to be a S&C "coach" anyway? Would think it would be pretty easy to find someone to devise kettle bell drills that doesn't create a toxic atmosphere...or is there anyone that thinks he's a good motivator? I've only heard negative things about the dynamics. I've also heard other people suggest his training methods cause injuries...but not sure I have any information on that.

Sabanball
1/12/2013, 03:15 PM
Could it be that he is just buried on the depth chart? From what little I've seen of him, he has just never developed or improved. I really doubt he transfers.

goingoneight
1/12/2013, 05:33 PM
He's not the best we have and people are gushing over a stat sheet or a couple of highlights. Like those who were pissed that Paul Thompson didn't play ahead of Jason White in 2003. Unfortunately, the only way those people shut up is when their hero comes in and they get a dose of reality (like "oh, well... I'm glad Jason White is finally gone. Now Rhett Bomar and Paul Thompson can do better.").

8timechamps
1/12/2013, 10:35 PM
Could it be that he is just buried on the depth chart? From what little I've seen of him, he has just never developed or improved. I really doubt he transfers.

Ultimately, I think that's what happened. All we ever heard (officially) was that he wasn't putting the work in to see more playing time. Then he moved to the slot back in the summer. He just got buried. Hopefully he'll put the work in this offseason, and we'll see him back on the field. There is no doubt he is electrifying.

OUmillenium
1/14/2013, 12:16 AM
Seriously, how hard can it be to be a S&C "coach" anyway? Would think it would be pretty easy to find someone to devise kettle bell drills that doesn't create a toxic atmosphere...or is there anyone that thinks he's a good motivator? I've only heard negative things about the dynamics. I've also heard other people suggest his training methods cause injuries...but not sure I have any information on that.

Russell Dennison is ready