PDA

View Full Version : What Oklahoma Football is Missing.....

StatesEye
1/7/2013, 02:24 PM
........is good, no great competition within the conference. I understand K-State gave OU a loss this year and OSU won the conference last year. However, OU (and Stoops and Co) needs a name brand to push the program to greater performance.....kinda like Nebbish and OU did for each other back in the Big 8 days.

So let me say it......Fire Mack Brown!

I ain't skeered!

sooneron
1/7/2013, 02:59 PM
I was thinking about this last night. Going into 2013, what marquee players/programs can the Big 12 tout?
OSU or Baylor may be the best teams going into next year.
"Reigning champs" - KSU - No Klein, Monty Burns will have them ready to play, but they won't replicate this year.
"Co-reigning champs" - OU - Too many questions marks
texas - see above, but worse, much worse
osu - commendable season considering they played 3 different qbs. Still, some question marks remain.
Baylor - At least they had a big win against "someone". Briles has them headed to better days.
ISU - They are a given to lose to two better opponents and lose to two equal or lesser opponents. Way too helter skelter.
WV - They just lost three studs on offense and their D sucks, they could tie for the cellar next year.
TCU- I have no idea what they'll bring, probably a gutsy Snyder like team, but they aren't there yet.
KU - There's always basketball.

Tear Down This Wall
1/7/2013, 03:29 PM
I think Baylor's QB was a senior, so they'll be starting from scratch there next year.

Sadly, for us and the conference, it looks like TCU may have the best returning QB besides OSU's bevy of returnees.

That is how pitiful being a part of this conference has become...TCU.

OkieThunderLion
1/7/2013, 03:33 PM
I was thinking about this last night. Going into 2013, what marquee players/programs can the Big 12 tout?

Oklahoma and Texas. Everything else is cyclical.

BoomerJack
1/7/2013, 03:43 PM
Oklahoma and Texas. Everything else is cyclical.

As much as it nauseates and scares me to say it but you/we are gonna have to include Okla. State in this equation. I believe/fear that they will be a force to be reckoned with.

sooneron
1/7/2013, 04:05 PM
As much as it nauseates and scares me to say it but you/we are gonna have to include Okla. State in this equation. I believe/fear that they will be a force to be reckoned with.

Then that is better for the conference. I can't stand aggy lite as much as the next level headed CFB fan, but the Big 12 needs someone to step up with some consistency.

cvsooner
1/7/2013, 04:29 PM
TCU has the best defense coming back next year and may have a senior QB if Pachall gets his act together. Right now I'd have to say they look like the likeliest top team. Everybody else has weak defenses, including us, unless the juco transfers and new recruits are really really good.

HToady
1/7/2013, 05:25 PM
Winning is all that matters...against whom doesn't really.

SoonerMarkVA
1/7/2013, 09:31 PM
........is good, no great competition within the conference. I understand K-State gave OU a loss this year and OSU won the conference last year. However, OU (and Stoops and Co) needs a name brand to push the program to greater performance.....kinda like Nebbish and OU did for each other back in the Big 8 days.

So let me say it......Fire Mack Brown!

I ain't skeered!

I've been saying this for YEARS. OU's success in 2000 was, in no small part, due to facing a decent ut team, and buzzsaw KSU (twice) and NU teams. Gorging on cupcakes does not chisel one; it makes one fat and soft.

The other problem with the lousy conference is it allows our coaches to win lots of conference championships and maintain ambiguity about just how successful we are. If we were in the SEC, and suddenly we were losing 4 conference games a year and not in the hunt for conference championships, it would bring clarity to addressing deficiencies. This, above all, was why I had ultimately hoped we would join A&M in going to the SEC. I think we would have taken our lumps for a few years, but it would either rekindle Bob's fire to make changes, or he would step down rather than deal with the pressure of more losing and we'd have to work to find the next young Stoops, or Sumlin, to bring things back.

I'm not sure Texas alone is enough, even if they did fire Mack. We need more buzzsaws and fewer cupcakes. And, in particular, we need a conference that forces us to have a formidable defense, and doesn't let us collect wins on the back of pinball-scoring offense, and for damn sure doesn't allow us a share of the conference title with another team that was thoroughly embarrassed in their own bowl game.