PDA

View Full Version : SS in Worse Shape Than Previously Thought

sappstuf
1/7/2013, 02:58 AM
Per the NYTimes: (http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/06/opinion/sunday/social-security-its-worse-than-you-think.html?_r=1&)

What’s not is that the Social Security Administration underestimates how long Americans will live and how much the trust funds will need to pay out — to the tune of $800 billion by 2031, more than the current annual defense budget — and that the trust funds will run out, if nothing is done, two years earlier than the government has predicted.

We reached these conclusions, and presented them in an article in the journal Demography, after finding that the government’s methods for forecasting Americans’ longevity were outdated and omitted crucial health and demographic factors. Historic declines in smoking and improvements in the prevention and treatment of cardiovascular disease are adding years of life that the government hasn’t accounted for. (While obesity has rapidly increased, it is not likely, at this point, to offset these public health and medical successes.) More retirees will receive benefits for longer than predicted, supported by the payroll taxes of relatively fewer working adults than projected.

Remarkably, since Social Security was created in 1935, the government’s forecasting methods have barely changed, even as a revolution in big data and statistics has transformed everything from baseball to retailing.

Nice graphs, but I can't embed. Chart #5 shows the problem.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/01/06/sunday-review/social-securitys-flawed-forecasting.html?ref=sunday

sappstuf
1/7/2013, 03:09 AM
I think with the continual statements from the Dems that SS doesn't add a penny to the deficit, it is now in Ponzi scheme status. After all, didn't Madoff say everything was hunky-dory until it wasn't? That is exactly what the Dems are doing now.

SicEmBaylor
1/7/2013, 03:32 AM
SS has been in pretty miserable shape since about May of 1945 if we're being honest with ourselves.

Bourbon St Sooner
1/7/2013, 09:35 AM
Where are those death panels?

badger
1/7/2013, 09:55 AM
Here's a fun read for Democrat haters (http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/jan/6/obama-supporters-shocked-angry-new-tax-increases/). It's SS-related, no worries :)

Opening sentence: "Sometimes, watching a Democrat learn something is wonderful, like seeing the family dog finally sit and stay at your command."

Midtowner
1/7/2013, 10:02 AM
Yeah, some Democrats are stupid and don't understand the concept of a tax "holiday," i.e., that it is temporary.

That's not really news though.

FaninAma
1/7/2013, 10:35 AM
I suspect that as with other budget problems the government accounting agencies have underplayed the actual severity of the problems. I don't expect social security to be viable past 2022.

badger
1/7/2013, 10:37 AM
I suspect that as with other budget problems the government accounting agencies have underplayed the actual severity of the problems. I don't expect social security to be viable past 2022.

Yeah, so we'll be in the same boat that we were pre-SS, but hopefully, more have prepared for their own retirements this time around, via 401Ks, IRAs, pensions, money socked away under matresses, etc.

If us workers feel screwed, just remember that the government can decide at any point to rise/lower the SS age... and they may just decide to raise it to fever-level 99 degrees... I mean years. :D

diverdog
1/7/2013, 12:26 PM
Yeah, so we'll be in the same boat that we were pre-SS, but hopefully, more have prepared for their own retirements this time around, via 401Ks, IRAs, pensions, money socked away under matresses, etc.

If us workers feel screwed, just remember that the government can decide at any point to rise/lower the SS age... and they may just decide to raise it to fever-level 99 degrees... I mean years. :D

Americans by and large are not prepared for retirement. 401k's are underfunded, pensions are gone and home values are down. SS benifits will get paid even if it comes to gutting defense.