PDA

View Full Version : imagine for a bit, that youre Bob Stoops...

OU_Sooners75
1/7/2013, 01:49 AM
And you have took a step back and decided the fire and desire is there to create an even bigger legacy at OU. This isn't saying you aren't proud of what you've accomplished so far, but want better.

So you decide to redo your coaching staff. You've got the blessing from the unversity and BOR to pay your new staff competitive wages...

Who would you retain on your staff, and who would you hire for replacements of those you decided needed to be replaced?

If I were Stoops, this is what I would do:

Demote Josh Heupel. If he didn't like that move, I would then replace him. So the following will reflect Heupel deciding to go elsewhere to broaden his horizons.

Offense, I would fire: IOL James Patton; OT/TE Bruce Kittle
Defense, I would fire: DE Bobby Jack Wright; DT Jackie Shipp; LB Tim Kish
I would also fire S&C coach Scmitty.

I would replace them with:
OC: Seth Littrell
QB: Ron Turner
OL: (his name escapes me, but the ex-OL coach at Cal under Tedford)
TE/FB: Seth Littrell

DT/DE: Chris Wilson
LB: Kevin Greene

SpT C: Chris Wilson

S&C: Bennie Wylie

MyT Oklahoma
1/7/2013, 02:14 AM
Changes are needed but I wouldn't hold my breath.

goingoneight
1/7/2013, 02:27 AM
Schmidt has three National Championship rings from three different places he's coached S&C... so, I don't think I'd let him go.

Agree on Heupel and Norvell. If they're too good to take $300,000 a year or whatever it is they were paid before they were co-coordinators, I'm sorry... but no one is too good for a six-figure salary. This poor man's Kevin Wilson offense gets sniffed out too easily by teams with confident defenses.

QBC Josh Heupel and/or Chuck Long seem like the likely Stoops choices. Both had an outstanding track record with OU QBs.

OLC Patton has had some really good OLs when they were healthy... but they don't consistently provide a good ground game and I feel this is one of OU's biggest liabilities in tough, contested games. I'd throw out Joe Wickline's name... but he's probably not going to leave Stoolwater without OSU's higher-ups completely ****-staining his resume.

FB/TE coach: whoever coached the guys at WVU under Rodriguez and Stewart always did a good job. Was it Herb Hand?

DE: for now, I'd keep BJW. 2012 was the only year OU didn't have two or more stud pass-rushers on the ends. Basically, that's just a case of the next guys in line not living up to their predecessors' level of play (RJ Washington and David King).

DT: I'd seriously give Shipp one more year. Between his guys being unfocused and uncharacteristically soft by OU standards for three years now, I'm thin on excuses for him. Maybe guys aren't healthy here or there, maybe this or that... bottom line is we are Baylor/Tech/OSU-soft in the middle and that's unacceptable if you want to win it all.

LB: I knew from the moment that Mike was brought back that Tim Kish would be the LBC. Wasn't ever a fan of his and he made a bad group of LBs even worse it appeared in 2012. He's on thin ice if I'm HC in 2013. I'd be quietly emailing better candidates and getting ready to make a move if he doesn't produce some big-time results in 2013. Average or slightly better won't cut it, IMO. OU's run defense is unaccepatble and it starts with the guys who need to make the bulk of the tackles. They aren't making many tackles.

DBC: Mike Stoops gets another year. They actually did okay for the most part considering where we play and how bad the rest of the defense was.

TXBOOMER
1/7/2013, 05:39 AM
Recruit better and quit running this bullshlt offense and the assistant coaches will look better. I have never been a fan of blaming assistant coaches. If there are as many assistant coaches on the staff that need to go that means the head coach needs to go for hiring such a crappy staff. You win games with dominant lines on both sides of the ball. The current O Line is average and the D Line is the worst since Stoops has been here. Until that is fixed replacing assistant coaches will do squat.

prrriiide
1/7/2013, 06:38 AM
If I were Stoops, this is what I would do:

OL: (his name escapes me, but the ex-OL coach at Cal under Tedford)

Disagree. The guy you want is Sam Pittman, currently at Arky, recently of Tennessee. One of the best OL coaches in the business. Over the last few years, Tennessee didn't often lose games because they were getting beat up front.

But any way you slice it, Patton needs to do a Marvin K. Mooney.

sooneron
1/7/2013, 10:05 AM
If you need to basically turn over your entire coaching staff, isn't it time that you (the HMFIC) exit the program? I'm not for firing Bob, I'm just following the logic of the thread.

texaspokieokie
1/7/2013, 10:08 AM
If i were Bob Stoops, i'd go out & buy a ferrari.

sooneron
1/7/2013, 10:10 AM
If i were Bob Stoops, i'd go out & buy a ferrari.

He'd have to buy a California or some lesser model before he qualified for the Italia, though. Which would suck. :D

texaspokieokie
1/7/2013, 10:17 AM
Then i'd save money & get a ZR-1.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/7/2013, 10:17 AM
I would be for bringing Chris Dawson back from K State as S and C coach...

sooneron
1/7/2013, 10:18 AM
Then i'd save money & get a ZR-1.

And a gold chain!

Curly Bill
1/7/2013, 10:26 AM
I'd definitely get rid of Schmitty! Prolly serveral others, but Schmitty for sure.

thecrimsoncrusader
1/7/2013, 10:27 AM
I rather be me than Bob Stoops. I have never had my butt kicked at work.

Curly Bill
1/7/2013, 10:30 AM
I rather be me than Bob Stoops. I have never had my butt kicked at work.

Yeah, but he's getting paid like $5,000,000 per to take those butt-kickings! I'd take an annual butt-kicking or two for that kinda $$$$$.

thecrimsoncrusader
1/7/2013, 10:33 AM
Yeah, but he's getting paid like $5,000,000 per to take those butt-kickings! I'd take an annual butt-kicking or two for that kinda $$$$$.

Then there is that! :)