PDA

View Full Version : Coaches demeanor on the sideline...does that have an impact?

Soonerjeepman
1/6/2013, 09:21 PM
Ok,

First, I personally don't have a problem with some butt chewing, did that while I was coaching HS bball. With that being said, after watching Mike go crazy on the sidelines anytime we are giving up big plays and not seeing a change on the outcome of the defense, is that really helping? Are the kids just blocking it out?

I know these are not Mike's guys, I know that our D does not seem to have the playmakers of the past. Just think some kids (more now than ever) respond to something different now.

After giving up 700 yards against WV...Mike's screaming hasn't done jack for the last 4 games (minus TCU - but tcu wasn't that good). The offense luckily had the ball last in the WV game and then OSU to either win or go into OT.

Just another "questioning" thread...

TUSooner
1/6/2013, 09:25 PM
My overpriced $.02 is that any time a coach loses his composure it hurts the team, whether it's a temper tantrum or Bob's WTF expression.

Soonerjeepman
1/6/2013, 09:31 PM
agreed, I think there are times when ya need a little more fire, but to me Mike's reactions are too much. No one wants to be "embarrassed" by the coach chewin them out on national tv...again, like you, just my 2 cents worth. Doesn't seem to be much "teaching" going on.

TahoeSOONER
1/6/2013, 09:40 PM
I love the passion personally if the results are there. I guess if you're a train wreck and your team gives up 600 yards in a game and 200 running yards to a QB then maybe your energy needs to better directed to teaching, coaching them up.

I love Mike's passion for the program but this unit sucked at times and I certainly don't buy into these are not "Mikes guys". I know for a fact he called plenty of the right schemes and they just flat out missed tackles or couldn't make a ****ing play.

Therealsouthsider
1/6/2013, 09:50 PM
...I miss Venables and Mike Stoops going at each other like pit bulls...and Bobby Proctor could chew some butt

...B.S. usually just looks at a loss for explanation 'cause he thinks everybody plays great

SS

Soonerjeepman
1/6/2013, 09:59 PM
guess we'll find out if Mike can get a better unit. Not a big recruiting follower, but not seeing a lot of big names on the list. I know stars don't mean a whole lot but we just lost our only true lb recruit to a/m.

I understand passion, I love passion, I think there needs to be passion in the game. I'll be the first to admit..an obvious...I don't know if Mike told player x 5 times to be in a different spot and he still messes up, therefor the burst(s) (with our D this yr there were a lot) on the sidelines. Honestly if that's the case then pull the kid, put someone else there.

To me you can have passion without explosions. They decided to coach, they knew the pressure at OU would be tremendous. It will be interesting to see next yr. Stoops has basically a whole new group of D players. We shall see.

zeke
1/6/2013, 10:07 PM
The brothers arguing was embarrassing. I don't know if their blow-ups have an impact or not. What I believe is that the players realize, after early time outs and the inability to get plays in etc, that the coaching staff is confused and the game plan isn't a good one. I thought you could see it in the effort or lack of and in the faces and body actions of the team.

Soonerjeepman
1/6/2013, 10:12 PM
Did Trey Millard even touch the ball in the second half? From what I could see, we had NO NEW offensive plays at all. NOTHING...which I think was a huge mistake. Again, just my 2 cents.

TUSooner
1/6/2013, 10:15 PM
The brothers arguing was embarrassing. I don't know if their blow-ups have an impact or not. What I believe is that the players realize, after early time outs and the inability to get plays in etc, that the coaching staff is confusedand the game plan isn't a good one. I thought you could see it in the effort or lack of and in the faces and body actions of the team.

That bolded part is spot on. I'd think it's hard to play with confidence if the coaches look like they just woke up and found themselves in the middle of a football game.

thecrimsoncrusader
1/7/2013, 02:38 PM
The only thing I know is OU would have lost to Baylor and Texas Tech once again if Brent Venables was still the defensive coordinator. Brent coaching the defense this season without Travis Lewis, without Ronnell Lewis and without Frank Alexander is a nightmare I wouldn't want to see. Who knows, WVU and OSU may have scored even more points and actually won those games if Brent was still around.

Mike fixed OU's pass defense from a schematic and coaching of the secondary standpoint. What he can't fix is the atrocious personnel up front because that won't be fixed with scheme, only with better talent. OU's rushing defense will get fixed when the LBs, DTs and DEs are fixed from a talent standpoint. OU's hope at those positions relies heavily on who has yet to see the field a lot if at all. I hope they have what it takes.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/7/2013, 02:46 PM
The brothers arguing was embarrassing. I don't know if their blow-ups have an impact or not. What I believe is that the players realize, after early time outs and the inability to get plays in etc, that the coaching staff is confused and the game plan isn't a good one. I thought you could see it in the effort or lack of and in the faces and body actions of the team.

Agree with this.

People want fire and intensity...Those things without discipline bring..last Friday night.

the_ouskull
1/7/2013, 06:53 PM
My overpriced $.02 is that any time a coach loses his composure it hurts the team, whether it's a temper tantrum or Bob's WTF expression.

Fun fact. I've never lost a game that I got kicked out of.

(Not as fun fact... putting me at 2-0 in such games.)

I won't blame an outcome on officiating, but I can, and will, blame homer officials for not doing everything that they can to protect my players. Calling ticky-tack on one end, and no-calling an elbow to the dome on the other will get me all KINDS of up in your sh*t.

(And yes, I'm fully aware of those same stats being able to point to my lack of coaching ability. Que sera sera.)

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/7/2013, 07:04 PM
My overpriced $.02 is that any time a coach loses his composure it hurts the team, whether it's a temper tantrum or Bob's WTF expression.the tv people seem to always be looking for Mike Stoops, especially, to go off, and at least LOOK out of control. Bob and Mike and everyone on the coaching staff ought to be very aware of that situation.

Soonerjeepman
1/7/2013, 07:09 PM
Fun fact. I've never lost a game that I got kicked out of.

(Not as fun fact... putting me at 2-0 in such games.)

I won't blame an outcome on officiating, but I can, and will, blame homer officials for not doing everything that they can to protect my players. Calling ticky-tack on one end, and no-calling an elbow to the dome on the other will get me all KINDS of up in your sh*t.

(And yes, I'm fully aware of those same stats being able to point to my lack of coaching ability. Que sera sera.)

that is funny....glad you're 2/0

Sometimes I think B Stoops gets a little too much in the ear...especially since (I don't recall anyways) OU actually "getting the next call". Course I'm old so my memory is short~ but I agree a coach is going to protect his guys no matter what.

As far as M Stoops, I'm seeing him more go ape$hit with our guys vs the refs...not sure if that was your point..?...

goingoneight
1/7/2013, 08:05 PM
Look at Bob Stoops in his biggest win ever. Calm, cool, collected and having a good time.
Look at Sumlin last Saturday. Calm, cool, collected and having a good time.
Young guys like an occasional fiery attitude... but eventually they tune it out and lose respect for you if that's your M.O. every game.

thecrimsoncrusader
1/7/2013, 08:16 PM
The brothers arguing was embarrassing.

No one seemed to mind it in 2000 when OU won it all. There were frustrating moments in that season when OU won it all for those guys and Bob, Mike and Brent were all chipping away at each other. And while not an argument between Bob and Mike, I will never forget that look that Coach Stoops gave Coach Mangino shortly after the trick play to Renaldo Works that got picked off by KSU. I thought Bob Stoops was actually going to eat Mark Mangino which is a scary thought. It was classic.

agoo758
1/7/2013, 08:55 PM
Bad players are bad players, all the yelling (or lack thereof) won't change that. We have no playmakers and no more than a handful of competant at best to work with.

Mike could yell at me until the cows came home but if he put me up on the line, I would still get pancaked every time, and it wouldn't be because he yells too much.

Soonerjeepman
1/7/2013, 09:20 PM
then why yell? Sorry but I've coached and yes it does effect kids differently...some can take it come can't....guess I was believing the hype that we actually had some D1 talent....at least it was rated that when they were freshman...