PDA

View Full Version : Some feedback needed (coding stuff)

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/6/2013, 06:09 PM
So while watching the game, I was looking on soonerstats' site and came across the following page: http://www.soonerstats.com/football/seasons/index.cfm?decade=all

So since there wasn't much of a game to watch, I coded the following reinterpretation of it: http://www.ouportal.com/newseasonsearch.htm

Notes:

This is a partial data grab taken during the game so it doesn't have anything before switzer or the last game
The color scheme is random, I figured statsie would have his own color scheme he'd like to use
I changed hosts, so hopefully everyone sees this but it may not have propagated everywhere
The searches hide what doesn't apply (meaning seasons without opponents get removed etc)

Questions:
What other filters would you like to see? National Champions? Played for National Title? Scored more than 50 points?

Add Opposing Coach to the Opponent Search?

Coding tools used:

Knockout - www.knockoutjs.com
Jquery - www.jquery.com
JqueryUI - jqueryui.com
Isotope - http://isotope.metafizzy.co/index.html

PS I'm hoping the result will be pushed onto soonerstats as I know I'm not going to maintain the data ;)

cvsooner
1/6/2013, 09:27 PM
That's pretty cool. Something is funky about 2003-2005, though. 2003 shows 12-3, 2004 shows 12-0, 2005 is 8-4. Are we talking 'seasons' or 'calendar years'?

yermom
1/6/2013, 09:38 PM
calendar would have an extra game in 2005 but not 2003 or 2004 since the Holiday Bowl was in December. 2003 and 2004 both had January Bowls on both ends

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/6/2013, 10:08 PM
That's pretty cool. Something is funky about 2003-2005, though. 2003 shows 12-3, 2004 shows 12-0, 2005 is 8-4. Are we talking 'seasons' or 'calendar years'?

That is what we call copy paste fail

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/6/2013, 10:14 PM
Okay, I put the usc game back into 2004. Any filters you guys want (that would obviously have a bunch more data on it than this subset).

VA Sooner
1/6/2013, 10:58 PM
Damn. When you put it all out there since 1973, Stoops is holding his own pretty well. Two 8-win seasons and the other 10 are all double-digit win seasons.

I think most programs would be happy about that. We'll see how the new defense looks by the spring game.

JLEW1818
1/6/2013, 11:13 PM
Cool.

Quit getting blown out in big games and embarrassing us.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/7/2013, 11:16 AM
So no additions?

cvsooner
1/7/2013, 12:03 PM
Pre season and post season rankings? Records of opponents? Rankings of opponents when we played?

Never Mind. Just tried the verbose option. There are the rankings. Pretty cool. Though records of opponents would still be nice.

Piware
1/7/2013, 02:06 PM
Pre season and post season rankings? Records of opponents? Rankings of opponents when we played?

Never Mind. Just tried the verbose option. There are the rankings. Pretty cool. Though records of opponents would still be nice.

I think the preseason and post season rankings would be cool.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/7/2013, 02:32 PM

soonerstats has that, it just didn't copy paste well from his website into excel (they came across as dates and excel does not do dates).

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/7/2013, 02:33 PM
I think the preseason and post season rankings would be cool.

You want to sort by them? or Filter by them?

StoopTroup
1/7/2013, 02:33 PM
I'd like to see something about our Coaches and who has won the most games, Conference Championships...stuff like that.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/7/2013, 02:36 PM
These are a list of filters that I came up with:

1. National Championship Games Won
2. National Championship Games Lost (like 77 and 84)
3. Conference Titles
4. Preseason Higher than End of Season (Basically when we were overrated)
5. Preseason Lower than End of Season (Underrated)
6. 10 Win Seasons
7. Beat teams ranked higher than us
8. Lost to teams ranked lower than us

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/7/2013, 02:39 PM
I'd like to see something about our Coaches and who has won the most games, Conference Championships...stuff like that.

Are you talking about a combo sort (Wins then Coach) or just a list of them? I think that his list views work well for simple data like that, this was more of a fancy design to sort through a 1000 games worth of data.

StoopTroup
1/7/2013, 02:55 PM
Just something that we can use to show all these whining posters that flood the board after losses as to who some of our best Coaches were and weren't. There seems to be some comparing the 1990's to the 1999-2012 period of OU Football.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/7/2013, 03:43 PM
Just something that we can use to show all these whining posters that flood the board after losses as to who some of our best Coaches were and weren't. There seems to be some comparing the 1990's to the 1999-2012 period of OU Football.

I might do something later. I was actually thinking of doing some other types of comparisons next -> Like average recruiting star rating compared to offensive/defensive statistics. I'm trying to figure out a weighting method for production though.

cvsooner
1/7/2013, 04:17 PM
Stoops is the best coach of the three, in my book: more restrictions by the NCAA and the law, the game itself has completely evolved, more scrutiny by fans and media, far more competition from other schools (it wasn't this big when I was in college) and a longer season (at least two games longer). Wilkinson is second, because he built it up from nothing and created a model for many to emulate. Switzer, as much as I admired his success, ranks a close third, because he had to deal with the beast that Wilkinson laid on the shoulders of anyone who would test himself as coach of the Sooners. That's another factor in Bob's favor, trying to carry on the legacy of the two, under more difficult circumstances.

GDC
1/7/2013, 06:20 PM
That's pretty cool.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/7/2013, 06:48 PM
Btw, Chrome is sporadically acting up. If anyone is having specific issues with it let me know. Between it and Safari I'm not sure which one obeys standards worse :(.