PDA

View Full Version : Could the answers for OU be found in the past?

Mac94
1/5/2013, 11:38 PM
I remember when I was in junior high school that OU under Switzer hit a stretch that had Sooner fans openly talking that it might be time to replace the King. Following the loss of Billy Simms and JC Watts the Sooners hit a period in 1981 thru 1984 where they were 7-4-1, 8-4, 8-4, and 9-2-1. Not horrible but not up to the standards OU had set and certainly well below the success of Switzer's early seasons in Norman.

Of course ... Switzer turned it around and had a great run from 1985 thru 1987 (@$&*! Miami). For those old enough to remember ... what changed for OU from the relatively down years to reclaiming Big-8 and national dominance? How did the King turn it around and what lessons could there be for Stoops and staff during this current time period?

soonerinabilene
1/5/2013, 11:41 PM
I don't think breaking Troy Aikman's leg again will do any good this time.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/5/2013, 11:43 PM
I remember when I was in junior high school that OU under Switzer hit a stretch that had Sooner fans openly talking that it might be time to replace the King. Following the loss of Billy Simms and JC Watts the Sooners hit a period in 1981 thru 1984 where they were 7-4-1, 8-4, 8-4, and 9-2-1. Not horrible but not up to the standards OU had set and certainly well below the success of Switzer's early seasons in Norman.

Of course ... Switzer turned it around and had a great run from 1985 thru 1987 (@$&*! Miami). For those old enough to remember ... what changed for OU from the relatively down years to reclaiming Big-8 and national dominance? How did the King turn it around and what lessons could there be for Stoops and staff during this current time period?Coach Bobby needs to ask Barry Switz, and maybe take heed. I DON'T remember OU getting really waxed by anyone during that time frame, though.

Mac94
1/5/2013, 11:45 PM
Now I don;t know if now's the time to take anything off the table. ;)

Therealsouthsider
1/5/2013, 11:45 PM

...it'd be worth a try

SS

Mac94
1/5/2013, 11:49 PM
I DON'T remember OU getting really waxed by anyone during that time frame, though.

In 81 OU lost to Texas 14-34 and Nebraska 14-37 ... in 82 the Sooner lost their opener 27-41 to W. Virginia. OU was 1-2 in bowl games with the lone win being against Houston in the Sun.

OkieThunderLion
1/6/2013, 01:25 AM
OU benefited from a really weak Big 8 conference during the '85-'87 stretch.

jkjsooner
1/6/2013, 09:30 AM
OU benefited from a really weak Big 8 conference during the '85-'87 stretch.

There were weak teams for sure but NU and OSU were formidable and CU was rapidly rising.

Plus we played Texas every year (not that they were great in that period) and had tough OOC games. I remember UCLA being really good, and getting stomped by us.

PLaw
1/6/2013, 10:28 AM
Let's see, the legacy of the '85-'87 teams: Drugs, sex, and NCAA probation.

No thank you, I don't want Stoops talking to the Switz about he resurrected his mojo.

What Bob needs to do is a hard self-evaluation of himself and his staff. Does he still have "the fire in the belly" to do what it takes to compete for a national championship? Are the position coaches improving their depth and talent each year? Are the coordinators evolving with the game to give the team the best scheme to have an opportunity to win?

Right or wrong, here is where I think it shakes out:

Defense

DT - Stock down. Any successful D starts right here. There is young, unproven talent on the roster. That said, if history provides a glimpse into the future, then I think this group will be servicable, but not provide the terror up front to lead a dominant defense. Jackie Shipp: Performance Improvement Plan needed.

DE's - Chuka, Geneo, Onuoha, and Tapper should give enough talent on the roster for a rotation that is adequate to compete at a high level. Bobbie Jack: Meets expectations.

LB's - Wort, Nelson, Lyndley, Stiker, Franklin and Shannon. This group was pretty much a non-factor all season either do to scheme or lack of talent. LB's control the run game. Early Stoops & Co. would always focus on making a team one dimensional regardless of who they were playing. This group failed to control the run, but it's hard to really evaluate because of the strategy to use no or only one LB as a base defense. Kish: PIP watch list. Really need to see a marked improvement here in 2013.

CB's - Colvin, Wilson, Simon, Sanchez, Powell(?), Johson. Potential to be very good. M. Stoops: Met expectations. Pass defense was a marked improvement in 2012 over 2011. Talent was put in the right position to make the scheme effective.

S - Jefferson, Lynn, ??? Depth going into 2013 look light at safety. Again, improved play over 2011, but run support was found lacking largely due to scheme. M. Stoops: Met expections, but weaknesses got exposed against dual threat QB's.

D Coordinator: Mike Stoops. Overall did not meet expectations with records being set for giving up yardage and gameplans that largely reflected bad front yard games. Attempts to tweak gameplans from base philosophies were not successful. 2013 is a critical year for Mike to see if he still has "it" - the ability to strike fear in opposing OC's. Right now, I think they are licking their chops.

Offense is a whole other discussion.

Bummer

BajaOklahoma
1/6/2013, 11:23 AM

I don't like him and he hates OU, so I'd be okay with him breaking his leg again.

Flagstaffsooner
1/6/2013, 11:31 AM
"'85 dance with the girl with what brought ya"

Barry Switzer on returning to the wishbone with Jamille Holiway

OkieThunderLion
1/6/2013, 02:20 PM
There were weak teams for sure but NU and OSU were formidable and CU was rapidly rising.

Plus we played Texas every year (not that they were great in that period) and had tough OOC games. I remember UCLA being really good, and getting stomped by us.
I remember one year (not sure which one), Colorado lost 5 non-conference games but went undefeated in the Big 8, besides a loss to OU.