PDA

View Full Version : A&M: Sleeping Giant Awakened?

Plexis22
1/5/2013, 08:02 PM
With their success this season and likely Top 5 ranking next season is A&M on its way to being dominant? Texas is down, they play in the best conference, have tons of money and support and are about to begin $450 million project to expand Kyle Field to 103,000 seats. They went from has-beens in the Big 12 to SEC power seemingly overnight. Can they sustain success?

Curly Bill
1/5/2013, 08:04 PM
Dominant? No

Are they gonna enjoy a wave of success for a while now? Yeah, prolly so.

Mac94
1/5/2013, 08:10 PM
We'll have good years and down years ... just like pretty much every program. As is the case in college football ... coaching matters ... and it looks like we hit with coach Sumlin. A&M has the makings to be a good program for a long time ... just comes down to the coaches recruiting and developing kids. But there will always be ups and downs ... seasons with bad luck or times when things just dont go our way.

SicEmBaylor
1/5/2013, 08:11 PM
Sleeping or otherwise, Aggie can screw themselves.

Mac94
1/5/2013, 08:14 PM
Lol ... bitter much? I think we still own you all a good artillery bombardment from that incident in the 1920's. ;)

SicEmBaylor
1/5/2013, 08:20 PM
Lol ... bitter much? I think we still own you all a good artillery bombardment from that incident in the 1920's. ;)

Yeah, well, that incident puts Baylor ahead on the body count. So SCOREBOARD!

Mac94
1/5/2013, 08:23 PM
Lol ... of course ...we've been stealing Baylor coeds ever since ... so safe to say we have scoreboard of a whole different kind. It is the reason Baylor hates us so much ... Aggies going to Waco and stealing their women. ;)

Soonerjeepman
1/5/2013, 08:25 PM
This is hilarious...a bear and a aggie fighting on OUr board...nice.

SicEmBaylor
1/5/2013, 08:26 PM
Lol ... of course ...we've been stealing Baylor coeds ever since ... so safe to say we have scoreboard of a whole different kind. It is the reason Baylor hates us so much ... Aggies going to Waco and stealing their women. ;)
Considering the average Aggie woman v. the average Baylor woman, I don't blame them for trying.

sooneron
Since when does ONE national title qualify for "giant" status? Just curious...

Soonerus
Yes, you guys go get a room...

SicEmBaylor
1/5/2013, 08:28 PM
Yes, you guys go get a room...

I have standards.

OU_Sooners75
1/5/2013, 08:29 PM
Wouldn't one have to be a giant to be sleeping in the first place?

Plexis22
1/5/2013, 08:31 PM
Considering the average Aggie woman v. the average Baylor woman, I don't blame them for trying.

For a school with 50,000 students, in Texas, it's surprising how few attractive women go to A&M.

SicEmBaylor
1/5/2013, 08:32 PM
For a school with 50,000 students, in Texas, it's surprising how few attractive women go to A&M.
Listeater highly resembles that remark!
http://www.utexasclan.com/photos/albums/userpics/10001/listeater.jpg

lexsooner
1/5/2013, 08:37 PM
Since when does ONE national title qualify for "giant" status? Just curious...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_A%26M_Aggies_football

No, the Aggies themselves actually claim two other made-up, fantasy national titles. How pathetic to be so starved for national recognition. Using their criteria, OU would have about 30 national titles. And oh yes, look at the Wikipedia section on conference titles. Speaking of bitterness and fantasy . . . . .

SoonerMarkVA
1/5/2013, 09:31 PM
With their success this season and likely Top 5 ranking next season is A&M on its way to being dominant? Texas is down, they play in the best conference, have tons of money and support and are about to begin $450 million project to expand Kyle Field to 103,000 seats. They went from has-beens in the Big 12 to SEC power seemingly overnight. Can they sustain success?

As long as they can keep Sumlin, and he coaches like he has since going to UH, they're going to be pretty dang dominant, yes. You already mentioned all the factors that are undeniable. Sumlin's the missing piece; that guy is an amazing coach.

Jacie
1/5/2013, 09:32 PM
Well, I suppose it all hinges on whether or not Johnny Football can duplicate the success he had in 2012 behind a reconstructed line.

Boomer Mooner
1/5/2013, 09:36 PM
A&M got a great QB, and a really annoying one too. I expect they fall right back into mediocrity when he's gone. Cam Newton got Auburn a NC year before last and this year they suck big time.

Soonerus
1/5/2013, 09:39 PM
Who really gives a rats arse about the Aggies...not I...glad they are gone, annoying...

PLaw
1/5/2013, 09:53 PM
Let's see - 1 mnc, 17 SWC titles, 1 big XII title.

Nope - that isn't giant status in my book.

A program on the rise? Definitely.

Get ready to open your wallets to keep Sumlin.

aurorasooner
1/5/2013, 10:07 PM
Who really gives a rats arse about the Aggies...not I...glad they are gone, annoying... I really miss the aggies. They were great to fark. Almost as much fun as Mack.
ESPiN got what they wanted. They got the Whorns locked up, and then influenced the Aggies to move to the SEC, which opened up Texas HS recruiting to the SEC.

Mac94
1/5/2013, 10:49 PM
A&M has not been a giant ... but A&M has the resources to be one. The A&M of the modern era is not what A&M has been for most of it's history. A&M was, for the most part, more like the Citadel, VMI, or the service academies than a school like OU or Texas, etc. A&M began morphing into a modern University in the late 60's and early 70's and we have grown into a very large and wealthy University while situated in a very fertile recruiting area. A&M has the resources in terms of money, facilities, fanbase, recruiting area, etc to be a college football power. We'll see if Sumlin is the guy to make us into what we could be ... so far so good.

Soonerus
1/5/2013, 11:00 PM
A&M has not been a giant ... but A&M has the resources to be one. The A&M of the modern era is not what A&M has been for most of it's history. A&M was, for the most part, more like the Citadel, VMI, or the service academies than a school like OU or Texas, etc. A&M began morphing into a modern University in the late 60's and early 70's and we have grown into a very large and wealthy University while situated in a very fertile recruiting area. A&M has the resources in terms of money, facilities, fanbase, recruiting area, etc to be a college football power. We'll see if Sumlin is the guy to make us into what we could be ... so far so good.

I am good enough, smart enough and by gosh people like me...

Mac94
1/5/2013, 11:05 PM
I am good enough, smart enough and by gosh people like me...

And that dude ended up in the U.S. Congress ... guess he was right. ;)

Soonerus
1/5/2013, 11:07 PM
And that dude ended up in the U.S. Congress ... guess he was right. ;)

Dude played a pathetic insecure person...

Mac94
1/5/2013, 11:15 PM
Hey ... he had Michael Jordan as a client ;)

Soonerus
1/5/2013, 11:18 PM
Hey ... he had Michael Jordan as a client ;)

Now you are totally delusional...

Mac94
1/5/2013, 11:21 PM
LOL ... I saw those SNL episodes ;)

Soonerus
1/5/2013, 11:23 PM
Good stuff...

SicEmBaylor
1/6/2013, 04:15 AM
Aggie's backup QB is transferring to Baylor. He's graduating early and will enroll at Baylor grad school for a degree that Aggie doesn't offer thus he won't have to sit out a year and can play immediately.

Jameill Showers. I've heard good things but know little about him.

sooneron
1/6/2013, 07:46 AM
Looks like Baylor finally got something back from aggy.

cobrapilot
1/6/2013, 08:32 AM
Showers is a good kid. However he missed his senior season in high school due to a torn acl in the final scrimmage before the season started. The first three years in high school his team was 0-30

soonerlaw
1/6/2013, 02:56 PM
You should see the Aggy schedule for next year. It has 8 home games, including 4 Non-conf games against perennial powerhouses Rice, SMU, Sam Houston State and New Mexico. Unless Arky and Auburn are drastically improved next year, Aggy's 2 toughest games will be home against Alabama and at LSU. That's 9-2 at the very worst. Say what you want about Stoops, but his non-conference schedule always has a big game on it and I can't remember the last time we played 8 home games if ever.

Mac94
1/6/2013, 03:04 PM
We had one marquee OOC game set up while in the Big-12 .... Arkansas ... obviously that wasn't gonna be an OOC game anymore and we had a transition of AD's ... well see how A&M's OOC scheduling will be in time. As far as I know the contracts with USC and Oregon still exist.

As for Showers he was thoguht to be our starting QB until August and haven't heard a bad thing about him. Happy he will get a chance to show what he can do ... he should fit well in Briles system. Good addition for the Bears.

goingoneight
1/6/2013, 08:08 PM
Sumlin at aTm = Stoops at OU. Programs with "all the pieces" still need great leadership. Sherman, Franchione and RC Scrotum were about as big of jokes at :mack: and Gene Chizik.

tulsaoilerfan
1/6/2013, 08:38 PM
Aggies just stole away a LB commit today; just what we needed

okiewaker
1/6/2013, 08:40 PM
No,,,,they're aggies.

Plexis22
1/6/2013, 11:28 PM
Just think if they were still in the Big 12 they would likely be playing Notre Dame for the national championship, and would probably win.

SicEmBaylor
1/6/2013, 11:50 PM
Just think if they were still in the Big 12 they would likely be playing Notre Dame for the national championship, and would probably win.

If if's were and's and and's were but's then the whole world would be an ***.

Mac94
1/7/2013, 08:40 AM

No ... we probably would be last years oSu or Auburn from a few years ago. Notre Dame still would be undefeated ... and since Bama's once loss was to us and if we're in the Big-12 we wouldn't play them ... they most likely have been undefeated as well. A&M would not jump either in the polls. Our OOC would have been weak with the one marquee game being a down Arkansas squad and the Big-12 wasn't all that strong to year to lift us perception wise above the Domers and Bama. Plus ... I don;t think we would have gone undefeated anyway ... to many pass happ teams that could get to our secondary (think La Tech).

jkjsooner
1/7/2013, 10:30 AM
Plus ... I don;t think we would have gone undefeated anyway ... to many pass happ teams that could get to our secondary (think La Tech).

That is a very honest evaluation. Refreshing.