PDA

View Full Version : Plumbing question

colleyvillesooner
1/5/2013, 07:49 PM
How do i get this off? I've loosened the top brass nut and the bottom silver one. trying to install new sink and stopper. Got the sink off no problem and the new one on.

http://imageshack.us/a/img856/6103/imageikx.jpg

olevetonahill
1/5/2013, 07:57 PM
If you Have to take that section out , yer gonna need to undo the Other nut on the other side of the trap and Lower the whole thing down at once

You shouldnt need to tho just to install a new stopper. Just take that rod out and Lift the old stopper out then drop the new down while insertint the New lever Ball gismo onto the slot then tighten every thing back up .

colleyvillesooner
1/5/2013, 08:02 PM
I am trying to get the other nut off (heh) and its not budging. Replacing the whole stopper flange and pipe. I only have vice grips and they are not doing the trick may keep a Pipe wrench? Any pointers on what kind to get would be helpful.

olevetonahill
1/5/2013, 08:10 PM
I am trying to get the other nut off (heh) and its not budging. Replacing the whole stopper flange and pipe. I only have vice grips and they are not doing the trick may keep a Pipe wrench? Any pointers on what kind to get would be helpful.

If you cant get that nut loose and it does look likes its been there a Year or 30.
Can you get a coupling and just cut the pipe there where it goes in the wall? Then use the coupling to glue it all back together?

I think if you try to use a Pipe wrench and Force that nut loose you liable to break a bunch of stuff ya dont wont broke

olevetonahill
1/5/2013, 08:11 PM
If you cant get that loose with a Large pair of Channel lock type pliers you need to cut it and then glue it back there where I said

olevetonahill
1/5/2013, 08:13 PM
Or . Jusy thot of this . Just take out the Old sink and Lift that piece up with it. Then install the new one as you put the New sink down

cleller
1/5/2013, 08:17 PM
One thing to think about: Make sure you're turning in the right direction. Sometimes with plumbing you'll run into a situation where you're looking at something that is upside down.
For instance the straight pipe between the sink and U-pipe....know what I mean?

Not sure that's the case, just something to be aware of. My daughter/son-in law ran into something recently where that was the problem. (trying to get a clogged aerator off a faucet)

Soonerjeepman
1/5/2013, 08:45 PM
if your replacing the hole sink the grey piece should just slide out. Then like vet said put your new sink and drain in and re-tighten up the nut on the pea trap. Or take the pea trap loose on the other end and take it off. you also have the grey nut coupling on top of the sink drain. Might try loosening that.

None of that should be glued. It's all just plastic nuts that usually are only hand tight. Course if it's been a while it might be stuck, but should be able to get it without a lot of force.

You also have a "nut" on the drain going into the wall line. You can loosen that as well.

colleyvillesooner
1/5/2013, 08:49 PM
**** this pipe. Loosened that other but, nut just enough to make it leak, not come off. Won't turn back. Decided to put everything back, and use the new faucet with the old guts. Now leaks from loosened nut and old ball lever that raises and lowers the drain. ****.

Can't lift the sink, it's an undermount. I hate this house sometimes. Least I am learning. Thinking about just cutting the pipe and replacing the hole p-trap.

Soonerjeepman
1/5/2013, 08:51 PM
did ya put a brush nickel on so you want the drain cover to be b nickel as well?

Soonerjeepman
1/5/2013, 08:52 PM
are you wanting to replace the grey drain, right? the cover in the sink screws off and then the grey pipe should pull out underneath.

Soonerjeepman
1/5/2013, 08:57 PM
looks like ya have a chrome pop metal drain, going into the grey ext drain? yeah once ya loosen that you'll need to take it all off because you'll need to put caulk or plumber's putty on the threaded part of the drain cover in the sink...if that is where it's leaking. The seal was broke when ya loosened it up

Soonerjeepman
1/5/2013, 08:59 PM
plumbers tape on the threads of the ball joint should seal that.

Soonerjeepman
1/5/2013, 09:06 PM
hang in...working with water can be a real pita...it will find the smallest leak. MOST of that plumbing is all hand tight, shouldn't be too tight. The exception would be the drain cover in the sink that connect to the grey drain that goes into the p-trap.

StoopTroup
1/5/2013, 09:18 PM
Seven and a half inches and dressed to the Right.

colleyvillesooner
1/5/2013, 09:25 PM
did ya put a brush nickel on so you want the drain cover to be b nickel as well?

i just wanted to place everything that came with the new faucet. once i realized i could just leave it, it was too late

colleyvillesooner
1/5/2013, 09:26 PM
are you wanting to replace the grey drain, right? the cover in the sink screws off and then the grey pipe should pull out underneath.

It will not do that. it doesn;t budge the way its in there.

colleyvillesooner
1/5/2013, 09:28 PM
looks like ya have a chrome pop metal drain, going into the grey ext drain? yeah once ya loosen that you'll need to take it all off because you'll need to put caulk or plumber's putty on the threaded part of the drain cover in the sink...if that is where it's leaking. The seal was broke when ya loosened it up

It actually isn't leaking from there. it is leaking from the bigger nut on the right that is loosened and can't re tighten. and is leaking from the small horizontal pipe that holds the metal bar that raises and lowers the drain cap. probably could tape that and be ok but the nut is screwing me over.

Soonerjeepman
1/5/2013, 09:34 PM
on the right of what? the bigger nut....the one that goes from the grey drain pipe to the p-trap....

Soonerjeepman
1/5/2013, 09:37 PM
there should be a plastic "washer" on the grey drain pipe that should "seal" the drain pipe into the p-trap as you screw that nut back down on the p-trap.

colleyvillesooner
1/5/2013, 09:56 PM
there should be a plastic "washer" on the grey drain pipe that should "seal" the drain pipe into the p-trap as you screw that nut back down on the p-trap.

Yes there is. It seals as I tighten the silver nut. The problem is the bigger silver but on the right. It won't retighten.

colleyvillesooner
1/5/2013, 09:57 PM
on the right of what? the bigger nut....the one that goes from the grey drain pipe to the p-trap.... no, on the other side of the P-Trap (the bigger nut)

Soonerjeepman
1/5/2013, 10:21 PM
oh on the top of the p-trap connecting to the drain....it actually should be the same way. This sounds very basic and I'm not trying to sound demeaning...lol but it is on straight? being threaded correctly? Honestly, I go with all pvc. My drains were copper/metal/pvc..just a cluster F. My buddies were the chrome pop metal and pvc. A plumber wanted $300 to change it all out. Took me 30 min and $20 in parts.

They sell complete kits at HD or lowes. Doesn't take much. yes there will be some leakage when you take it all off....water in the p-trap.

colleyvillesooner
1/5/2013, 10:40 PM
That's my plan tomorrow.

Soonerjeepman
1/5/2013, 10:42 PM
lol...ok. Good luck, not sure if ya have done that before but it really isn't hard.

repost the new stuff!!!

gnite.

colleyvillesooner
1/5/2013, 11:02 PM
I've never done it. Will report back.

olevetonahill
1/5/2013, 11:46 PM
I've never done it. Will report back.

Have we ever compared you to Norm? :pirate:

Bro take that Pic down to the hard ware store Tell em what ya trying to do and just get new Trap and Pipe.
I thot ya was putting a New sink If just a faucet , Yea ya shoulda just changed out the guts of the Old stopper

Oh well I love it when ya Post this stuff . Def, Keep us updated. More Pics even

colleyvillesooner
1/6/2013, 02:15 AM
That was plan, to either cut it out and take it with me or show it to them on my phone and head back with the parts.

What is the best tool for cutting the pipe in such a small place?

I was thinking this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002FYUNGA

olevetonahill
1/6/2013, 02:44 AM
If you have the room use a cordless sawsall . Faster and wont pizz you off like that chain thing will.

SanJoaquinSooner
1/6/2013, 02:54 AM
Any of you had a Colonoscopy? Thinking I should get one as a precaution.

olevetonahill
1/6/2013, 02:57 AM
Any of you had a Colonoscopy? Thinking I should get one as a precaution.

Why? Ya caint find yer head?

SanJoaquinSooner
1/6/2013, 03:19 AM
Why? Ya caint find yer head?

I like to tease pubs, not impersonate them.

colleyvillesooner
1/6/2013, 09:54 AM
If you have the room use a cordless sawsall . Faster and wont pizz you off like that chain thing will.

Holy **** I actually have one of those. If my brother doesn't have it at the moment. My luck I'll find it with no blades.

cleller
1/6/2013, 10:27 AM
Or your standard hacksaw.

olevetonahill
1/6/2013, 12:15 PM
Holy **** I actually have one of those. If my brother doesn't have it at the moment. My luck I'll find it with no blades.

Yer going to the Store anyway.

colleyvillesooner
1/6/2013, 01:57 PM
Yer going to the Store anyway.

Dude sold me the wrong blade. used the one in the next picture instead and it did the job

colleyvillesooner
1/6/2013, 01:59 PM
we have the tools to rebuild!

Old pip out new pipe about to go in.

http://imageshack.us/a/img571/7859/imagexrk.jpg

colleyvillesooner
1/6/2013, 02:00 PM
how's this look before I start gluing?

http://imageshack.us/a/img26/5083/imagegobx.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img10/4739/imagevgj.jpg

pphilfran
1/6/2013, 02:03 PM
World Class

colleyvillesooner
1/6/2013, 02:13 PM
i can't tell if you are kidding. the first picture the pipe is crooked but i fixed that

pphilfran
1/6/2013, 02:19 PM
It looks fine to me....

colleyvillesooner
1/6/2013, 02:25 PM
it never ends. the stopper doesn't fit very well. see pic one. was going to just use the little rubber gasket from the previous stopper (pic 2) any issues with that? Hard to see that it doesn't fit well in the first pic. or will plumbers putty fill those gaps between the flange and the sink.

http://imageshack.us/a/img24/5536/imagegqxj.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img259/6336/imagelyrg.jpg

pphilfran
1/6/2013, 03:02 PM
You don't want the gap...is the drain pipe perpendicular and centered to the sink?

colleyvillesooner
1/6/2013, 03:06 PM
yes, going to try without the rubber gasket from the old one. looks weird cause it sticks out too much and raises the stopper too much. we'll see what happens

cleller
1/6/2013, 03:24 PM
That looks like trouble. Is is the drain assembly pushing that up? Not sure on the terminology, but will that straight drain pipe slide into the p-trap any more, and allow everything to slide down into place? Might have to be cut a little.

These things drive you nuts, but once you're done, you'll never be intimidated again. You'll get it. You've got everything else so far.

olevetonahill
1/6/2013, 03:47 PM
it never ends. the stopper doesn't fit very well. see pic one. was going to just use the little rubber gasket from the previous stopper (pic 2) any issues with that? Hard to see that it doesn't fit well in the first pic. or will plumbers putty fill those gaps between the flange and the sink.

http://imageshack.us/a/img24/5536/imagegqxj.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img259/6336/imagelyrg.jpg

Ya need to loosen that nut on the Stopper Pipe and let that pipe slide down more and try to straiten it more
Yes use the Old washer if ya dint get a new one Plus plumbers Putty if needed . But like has been said you dont want that kinda gap.

pphilfran
1/6/2013, 03:54 PM
Looks to me the drain pipe is just a smidgen too long...

colleyvillesooner
1/6/2013, 04:10 PM
i haven't even put it in the p trap yet. that's as tight as it can get just free standing under the sink. it's going back. between that gap and the utter crappiness of the rod contraption for the drain plug, it's junk. i have at least solved the bigger issue the new pipe.

pphilfran
1/6/2013, 04:17 PM
You are saying you have nothing connected below and that is as far as it will seat into the sink?

colleyvillesooner
1/6/2013, 04:21 PM
Yep. The old one was metal ring that was part of the drain pipe below. Underneath the ring was plumbers putty to seal it. Going to try and find one like that I guess

Tulsa_Fireman
1/6/2013, 05:23 PM
Hit it with a hammer.

colleyvillesooner
1/6/2013, 05:49 PM
Can't open the boxes at Home Depot to see. Got a different brand.

olevetonahill
1/6/2013, 07:06 PM
Can't open the boxes at Home Depot to see. Got a different brand.

Show em the ****in PIC and tell em to get you the right stuff or yer going to Lowes.

colleyvillesooner
1/6/2013, 09:52 PM
All done, kind of....

http://imageshack.us/a/img585/5530/imagedwa.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img577/8199/imageydic.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img197/7103/imagewxa.jpg

in the last pic, it leaks from the under the grey nut down the threads. You can kind of see some water at the base there. Should i have used thread tape there? would that have solved it? if so, i can take it off tomorrow and re tape. It did have holes in the pipe, but those were normal, as in the pic below. shouldn't be coming from there.

http://www.plumbersurplus.com/images/prod/6/Moen-12314-rw-55181-197514.jpg

Soonerjeepman
1/6/2013, 10:56 PM
good job! I don't think ya need tape on that. I don't think I ever did, but it wouldn't hurt to try. Is the threaded part of the drain, going into the grey drain pipe into the p-trap...how far down into the grey drain is that? can it go further?

oh...relooked at your pic. Did you use plumber's putty? looks like it might be leaking from the sink through the plumber's putty, under the drain cap in the sink. That is a part that always gets me....too much, not enough, screwing it down too much, etc.

olevetonahill
1/6/2013, 11:05 PM
Good Jorb bro.
Doubt ya need thread tape, Just try to snug it up a bit more. If that dont get it then Ya use a tad of it on there
Grats

colleyvillesooner
1/7/2013, 01:17 AM
I am starting to think its that, coming under the flange. Because t didn't really do it until I filled up the sink and let it drain all at once. Normal use I didn't see it right away. May talent off and try more putty. Maybe look for a generic rubber gasket if that fails.

colleyvillesooner
1/7/2013, 01:19 AM
Good Jorb bro.
Doubt ya need thread tape, Just try to snug it up a bit more. If that dont get it then Ya use a tad of it on there
Grats

I will try again tomorrow, but its as
Tight as I can get it by hand. At first it leaked from the very top, but I tightened it and that went away.

olevetonahill
1/7/2013, 01:42 AM
I will try again tomorrow, but its as
Tight as I can get it by hand. At first it leaked from the very top, but I tightened it and that went away.

Did you use Plumbers putty under the flange INSIDE the sink?

A small roll of that under it may fix that

colleyvillesooner
1/7/2013, 01:46 AM
Yes a decent amount but it was hard to keep it in place when screwing the nut from underneath thinking that is my problem, probably lost more than I meant to

Soonerjeepman
1/7/2013, 04:27 PM
lol...yup can be a pita Good job though.

colleyvillesooner
1/19/2013, 03:45 PM
**UPDATE**

Forgot to report back what happened. Pulled it out puttied the hell out of it, had my bro hold it down tight from the top and screwed it back on. All leaks gone. Thanks for everyone's help.

Now off to troubleshoot my non-working pool heater.

olevetonahill
1/19/2013, 04:24 PM
**UPDATE**

Forgot to report back what happened. Pulled it out puttied the hell out of it, had my bro hold it down tight from the top and screwed it back on. All leaks gone. Thanks for everyone's help.

Now off to troubleshoot my non-working pool heater.

:welcoming: