PDA

View Full Version : Jones was a absolute stat monster, but just didn't have that IT factor. I am glad the

dennis580
1/5/2013, 02:17 PM
Jones era is over. Despite the absolutely insane career passing stats, and all the career Big 12 conference passing records Jones hold; we have 3 games this year where we failed to score 20 points, and 2 of those games were at home. 19 points at home vs K. St, and only 13 points at home against Notre Dame, only 13 points against A+M.

In this day, and age in college football you just cann't have a QB who has ZERO mobility. I am so excited for the Bell era to start next year. Bell is going to be a absolute nightmare for defenses to handle, and will make us FAR more efficient in the red zone.

Mac94
1/5/2013, 02:19 PM
Is Bell pretty much lock to be the starter next year or will someone puch him this spring and summer? We've seen alot of Bell in the "Belldozer" packages but how is he in the standard offensive packages? How has he looked in past springs in the regular offense?

CatfishSooner
1/5/2013, 02:22 PM
I'm glad Laundry's movin on too, but I'm nervous I may regret thinkin that next season...

ashley
1/5/2013, 02:27 PM
Is Bell pretty much lock to be the starter next year or will someone puch him this spring and summer? We've seen alot of Bell in the "Belldozer" packages but how is he in the standard offensive packages? How has he looked in past springs in the regular offense?

No, he is not a lock at all.

aurorasooner
1/5/2013, 02:59 PM
Agree. I'm glad the Landry days are over, but not because of the possibility of Bell taking over or anything Landry has or hasn't done, but if it will bring a complete change in our offensive philosophy, which is offensive especially when you have to throw the ball on 2nd and 2 or 3rd and 2 to get a 1st down, or run the ball twice on 2nd and 2 (or even go to 4th down) when you can get 2 yards in 2 tries. Just pitiful. I also hope we'll put that straight up the middle hand-off from the 1 back set when everyone on the defense and the fans watching know it's coming, in the team dumpster for good, especially if our OL line next year isn't that good at run blocking.

BudSooner
1/5/2013, 03:16 PM
No, he is not a lock at all.He does have the edge with actual game experience, and the loyalty Bob will probably show him because of his success in scoring.

OU_Sooners75
1/5/2013, 03:19 PM
Jones will be missed.

You cannot reasonably place all the short comings of the offense on one player. Be it a QB, WR, OL, or RB.

At some point you have to acknowledge the game plan and in game adjustments are just terrible.

Last night, Jones drives the offense down the field, only to be taken out for the Belldozer package. We settle for a FG.

Jones again drives the field. This time hebarely over throws Millard. OU settles for a FG.

Then we come out in the second half running the same plays over and over.

Jones as the QB can only do so much. Its also up to the coaches to put in place a game plan to succeed. They didn t do that last night offensively or defensively.

XingTheRubicon
1/5/2013, 03:49 PM
I know this may sound crazy, but I'm glad Jason is moving on. I know, I know, 2 ACL's and still coming back and 2 perfect regular seasons...but, hurt or not, he just didn't have "it." Paul Thompson will allow Chuck to open up the playbook and we will be unstoppable. Plain and simple..

soonercastor
1/5/2013, 03:51 PM
whether or not you think he was good, LJ is better than whoever we will trot out there next year. That's not to say the next QB won't be good in two years or so but we'll without a doubt miss LJ next year and I'm not even a big fan of his.

Therealsouthsider
1/5/2013, 04:38 PM
...shouldn't be too difficult to find someone to throw 5 to 10yd passes

SS

EatLeadCommie
1/5/2013, 04:49 PM
When LJ was on, he was as good as anybody. But I'm not going to miss the guaranteed brain fart every game or knowing that we just weren't going to win it all as long as he was our QB.

VA Sooner
1/5/2013, 06:24 PM
I can't blame Jones for last night... he had a couple of bad throws but that's about it. There were a few dropped passes and some passes in to very, very tight coverage. The ground game could never take off and only a few runs greater than 10 yards...

The three 3 and outs in the third quarter killed us... no momentum, no rhythm and no points. Lousy play calls, lousy execution, combination of it all... definitely wasn't our night.

rock on sooner
1/5/2013, 06:38 PM
LJ couldn't/didn't audible hardly any all season...had the smarts to do it, too.
The Belldozer really frustrated me the last three games of the season. EVERY
person in the stadium (in all three) knew what was coming..stack 8-9 in the box
and Bell would run right into it...every freakin time...got to the point that any time
he came out I was screaming "NO" at the screen. If he starts next year, when we
see Rip and Millard in the backfield at the same time, then it is reasonable to assume
what's coming. What I'd like to see is Rip at FB and Millard at TB and student body
left/right with Bell as a blocker...Millard could put up some BIG numbers. Jus sayin..

SoonerinSouthlake
1/5/2013, 06:46 PM

who said that?!?!?!?

Dan Thompson
1/5/2013, 06:50 PM
Jones was way to low key. I don't ever recall seeing him on the sideline trying to get the team fired up.

StoopTroup
1/5/2013, 07:11 PM
Jones will be missed.

You cannot reasonably place all the short comings of the offense on one player. Be it a QB, WR, OL, or RB.

At some point you have to acknowledge the game plan and in game adjustments are just terrible.

Last night, Jones drives the offense down the field, only to be taken out for the Belldozer package. We settle for a FG.

Jones again drives the field. This time hebarely over throws Millard. OU settles for a FG.

Jones as the QB can only do so much. Its also up to the coaches to put in place a game plan to succeed. They didn t do that last night offensively or defensively.

Nice post

StoopTroup
1/5/2013, 07:15 PM
Jones was way to low key. I don't ever recall seeing him on the sideline trying to get the team fired up.

Yet....many times after he would toss an INT or our Offense went 3 and out, no matter what quarter, he would march out onto the field with a cool head and run the plays he was given....and many times pulled off a win.

Jacie
1/5/2013, 07:18 PM
Last night would have been more fun had the coaching staff prepared a game plan for both halves . . .

5noubus
1/5/2013, 08:50 PM
whether or not you think he was good, LJ is better than whoever we will trot out there next year. That's not to say the next QB won't be good in two years or so but we'll without a doubt miss LJ next year and I'm not even a big fan of his.

I use to feel just like this. But this year I watched the pukes pull a new qb out of the air every week and do pretty well. I just watched a 19 year old punk troll run all over us.
I think LJ throws an amazing pass at least a couple of times a game but
The things that you count on a experienced qb for is not LJ's strong
Suit. ( leader, pressure, decision making)

Soonerus
1/5/2013, 08:58 PM
LJ was a really good QB but I am ready for the next chapter..

Cajun
1/5/2013, 09:17 PM
LJ was a really good QB but I am ready for the next championship..

FIFY

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/5/2013, 09:20 PM
I'm just not convinced that a Bell led offense can put enough points on the board. We are at least 2 years from having enough defensive talent to win low scoring games.

Boomer Mooner
1/5/2013, 09:33 PM
I hope we put more emphasis on getting defensive talent. Watching them run on us last night was brutal.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/5/2013, 10:12 PM
I hope we put more emphasis on getting defensive talent. Watching them run on us last night was brutal.

I'm hoping they change their parameters on what they consider defensive "talent".

goingoneight
1/5/2013, 10:17 PM
When LJ was on, he was as good as anybody. But I'm not going to miss the guaranteed brain fart every game or knowing that we just weren't going to win it all as long as he was our QB.

Why is it you feel that way? I mean... look at the last two years:

Even when LJ had a bad game, OU never had even close to the kind of defense or run game to win it all. I don't see AJ McCarron or Greg McElroy tearing anybody up. Fact is this: all QBs have off games. Every season. If not for OU's defense in 2000, we lose to OSU. Where's the hate for Heupel? He even tossed 2 INTs and no TDs against Florida State. OU can't win it all now for the same reason they couldn't with Sam or any other who scores 40-50 per game... we're not good enough all around to carry our team to victory when something is off for whatever reason.

Soonerus
1/5/2013, 10:20 PM
I hope we lose the pregnant pauses while LJ was looking to the three idiots signaling plays...how pathetic has that become ??

TXBOOMER
1/5/2013, 10:29 PM
I don't care who the QB is next year. Better coaching and better recruiting is needed or it simply won't matter.

Soonerjeepman
1/5/2013, 10:51 PM
Jones will be missed.

yes we will miss jones, yes the pay calling seemed very avg...but the one point..and yes it's nit pickin...but the throw to Trey in the endzone was not "barely" overthrown, in my opinion. TM was at the peak of his jump..and his arms as high as they could go and it went through his fingers..tough catch to make, again, I understand your point. I totally agree with taking LJ out that is crazy.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/6/2013, 12:09 AM
I hope we lose the pregnant pauses while LJ was looking to the three idiots signaling plays...how pathetic has that become ??

I have to wonder how the pros feel about college kids coming out and not calling their own plays. Of course, OU takes micro-management to a new level.

ouleaf
1/6/2013, 12:27 AM
I'm of the belief Jones owes a lot of his great "Stats" to the outstanding skills players he had the benefit of playing with while the QB at OU, Broyles and DeMarco in particular. Lesser talent and he wouldn't have the lofty numbers he had and I think we all would have seen just how overrated Landry really is.

I'm not saying Blake Bell is the answer. Lord knows we need to get better at a lot of other positions and I think a change in offensive philosophy would help, but this run of mediocrity is infuriating. The best way to create change in a team is at the QB position IMO. Here's to moving on.

Tear Down This Wall
1/6/2013, 12:38 AM
Jones' biggest problem last year is that he couldn't play safety or wide receiver when we got thin due to injury at the end of the season.

This year, his biggest problem is that he couldn't provide depth and talent at defensive tackle, defensive end, or inside linebacker.

What a freeloader that guy was...just living off the OU on the side of his helmet. Probably wouldn't smoke the looney lettuce with his receivers either. Not a team player at all, that guy.

hvhurricane
1/6/2013, 01:24 AM

It is an absolute joke. And half the time, we can't even get a play called before the play clock is down to under 10. Teams were smart enough to show a defense to make us change our play and then go back to a different defensive call. It is really sad to be micro managed by the worst play caller in the Stoops era. The Dick Winder of the Stoops tenure.

SoCalBigRed
1/6/2013, 01:49 AM
God I hope Bell isn't the starter next year.

I want a superstar. Not a one-dimensional bell-dozer. We have a stud red-shirt. Start his butt NOW.

Curly Bill
1/6/2013, 01:54 AM

I want a superstar. Not a one-dimensional bell-dozer. We have a stud red-shirt. Start his butt NOW.

One-dimensional? How the hell would we even know that? He's never been given a chance to do anything but run the bell dozer.

TrueBornSooner
1/6/2013, 05:40 AM
If Jones was such a great QB, how come he never ran the offense? A senior with four years experience and he wasn't allowed - or just didn't choose to - make his own choices/reads before the snap? Jones was a good QB, but he never truly developed into a leader. Whether that's his fault or the coaches I don't know, but I hope we get someone more able to do so down the line.

jk the sooner fan
1/6/2013, 08:27 AM
who said that?!?!?!?

A LOT of people- only it wasnt Paul Thompson - it was Bomar - before he got kicked off the team - there were many that believed a young mobile running/throwing QB phenom was the answer - if only Jason White would not come back for his final year so that Bomar could step in and save OU from football hell

trust me - i heard it A LOT

jk the sooner fan
1/6/2013, 08:30 AM
I'm of the belief Jones owes a lot of his great "Stats" to the outstanding skills players he had the benefit of playing with while the QB at OU, Broyles and DeMarco in particular. Lesser talent and he wouldn't have the lofty numbers he had and I think we all would have seen just how overrated Landry really is.

I'm not saying Blake Bell is the answer. Lord knows we need to get better at a lot of other positions and I think a change in offensive philosophy would help, but this run of mediocrity is infuriating. The best way to create change in a team is at the QB position IMO. Here's to moving on.

this is true for EVERY great QB ever.....Joe Montana was great because he had Jerry Rice, and all those other stars.........Troy Aikman was part of the triplets and had one of the best O-lines ever to protect him.......the list goes on and on

this isnt basketball - you can't michael jordan your way thru a career (well maybe Johnny Football can)

taking away from Jones stats because he had a good supporting cast - well how great do you think Bradford would have been without his supporting cast?

tulsaoilerfan
1/6/2013, 10:46 AM
The offensive coaches need to quit the micro managing to get a play in; why don't we just huddle up, call the damn plays, then let the QB get to the line and run one. Today's TW said that OU called timeouts either 6 or 7 times on offense in the first quarter of games this year because of play clock issues; that **** needs to stop

budbarrybob
1/6/2013, 12:31 PM

+1
Even Manziel was jumping around fist-pumping yelling. I like a person with fire and the ability. That kind of emotion can swing a game and inspire others. LJ didn't have it. More of a soft-spoken preacher type.

SoonerofAlabama
1/6/2013, 12:32 PM
I'm betting the starter next year will be a dual threat QB.

misplacedsooner
1/6/2013, 12:38 PM
i want to see bell in our regular offense for more than the 1 play he gets sometimes after a sneak. i think he would be very dangerous to defenses

Jason White's Third Knee
1/6/2013, 12:52 PM
I am glad Jones is gone so I don't have to hear our fans bitch about a great kid/athlete. ****ing embarrassing listening to our fans this year.

You had better hope to hell that we get a more explosive O line and a running game. A defensive line will help too.

Jason White's Third Knee
1/6/2013, 12:59 PM

So, Troy Aikman owes all of his stats to Michael Irvin. Joe Montana to Jerry Rice, I guess.

BigTip
1/6/2013, 01:10 PM
Jones' biggest problem last year is that he couldn't play safety or wide receiver when we got thin due to injury at the end of the season.

This year, his biggest problem is that he couldn't provide depth and talent at defensive tackle, defensive end, or inside linebacker.

What a freeloader that guy was...just living off the OU on the side of his helmet. Probably wouldn't smoke the looney lettuce with his receivers either. Not a team player at all, that guy.

Don't forget he should have been able to block for himself and his backs too.

The point is good. Jones might be considered a GREAT quarterback if the support had been there.

There is that one or two brain fart per game problem he had though.....

Curly Bill
1/6/2013, 01:58 PM
Don't forget he should have been able to block for himself and his backs too.

The point is good. Jones might be considered a GREAT quarterback if the support had been there.

There is that one or two brain fart per game problem he had though.....

Jones doesn't have the mental makeup to be a great QB, IDGAS who his supporting cast was/is.

FaninAma
1/6/2013, 05:00 PM
I'm just not convinced that a Bell led offense can put enough points on the board. We are at least 2 years from having enough defensive talent to win low scoring games.
If they utilize his talents the offense will be fine. If they try to make a statue out of him in an unimaginative flag football offense then no, it won't.

FaninAma
1/6/2013, 05:03 PM
Jones doesn't have the mental makeup to be a great QB, IDGAS who his supporting cast was/is.
I agree. I looked for the lightbulb of recognition to go off in Landry's head every year since his freshman year. It never did. He never had a clue on the field what the opposing defense was doing. The sad thing is that in a lot of those games neither did Our OCs.

Salt City Sooner
1/6/2013, 05:26 PM
I am glad Jones is gone so I don't have to hear our fans bitch about a great kid/athlete. ****ing embarrassing listening to our fans this year.

You had better hope to hell that we get a more explosive O line and a running game. A defensive line will help too.
You'd do well to cancel your internet service, & either wear earplugs to the game, or not watch them at all, because when it comes to the bolded, it truly is a case of next man up (in the bitching line, that is) when it comes to a large portion of our fanbase. It has been every single year I've followed OU (over 30 now) & I have no doubt it will be long after I'm gone.

goingoneight
1/6/2013, 07:58 PM
Drew Allen could win the Heisman and he won't be as good as Cody Thomas in most fans' eyes. They just don't know football if they pin a high-scoring team's defensive and run game failures on the guy who is the sole difference between Cotton Bowl and no bowl.

TUSooner
1/6/2013, 09:38 PM
Last night would have been more fun had the coaching staff prepared a game plan for both halves . . .

They did; but it was the same one.

Therealsouthsider
1/6/2013, 09:56 PM
I watched a lot of games where he made the tough throw and completely missed the receiver that was wide open on the same play...I'm just saying

SS

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/6/2013, 10:20 PM
I watched a lot of games where he made the tough throw and completely missed the receiver that was wide open on the same play...I'm just saying

SS

Just saying what? The same thing that every other college/pro football fan could say? A QB who misses 20% of his reads is upper echelon. It isn't like he made the correct read and missed the wide open guy 75% of the time...

Therealsouthsider
1/6/2013, 10:24 PM
Just saying what? The same thing that every other college/pro football fan could say? A QB who misses 20% of his reads is upper echelon. It isn't like he made the correct read and missed the wide open guy 75% of the time...

...that he locks onto receivers and misses the proper read, it's not a difficult statement to understand

SS

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/6/2013, 10:27 PM
...that he locks onto receivers and misses the proper read, it's not a difficult statement to understand

SS

Once again - What percentage of the time? Are you saying that 100% of the time throughout his career he was a 1 read QB? Seriously, if that is the case and he shattered all of these records should be a testament to his accuracy.

Therealsouthsider
1/6/2013, 11:01 PM
Once again - What percentage of the time? Are you saying that 100% of the time throughout his career he was a 1 read QB? Seriously, if that is the case and he shattered all of these records should be a testament to his accuracy.

...most of the records he broke were set by QBs that were starters for two or three yrs...I just hope the heir to the position brings more dimension so the offense doesnt have to resort to gimmicks and gadgets to score in the red zone and goal line sets to make first downs

SS

ouleaf
1/7/2013, 01:31 AM
this is true for EVERY great QB ever.....Joe Montana was great because he had Jerry Rice, and all those other stars.........Troy Aikman was part of the triplets and had one of the best O-lines ever to protect him.......the list goes on and on

this isnt basketball - you can't michael jordan your way thru a career (well maybe Johnny Football can)

taking away from Jones stats because he had a good supporting cast - well how great do you think Bradford would have been without his supporting cast?

So, Troy Aikman owes all of his stats to Michael Irvin. Joe Montana to Jerry Rice, I guess.

Jones is not an all-time great though. Its my argument that the skill position players made Landry look better than he actually was, and by extension his stats are inflated. I don't really think Landry did a lot to make any of the skills guys better (more indicative of a great QB).

In the case of Aikman and Montana (not really fair to compare them with Landry), they were all-time great QBs complimented by hall of fame talent at skill positions.

Tear Down This Wall
1/7/2013, 01:38 AM
Look, it is clear that people who don't understand football don't like Landry; and, that's fine.

But, when you look at NFL team roster for teams such as Kansas City, Arizona, and Buffalo, it's real clear that there's a place in The League for Landry.

jk the sooner fan
1/7/2013, 07:54 AM
Jones is not an all-time great though. Its my argument that the skill position players made Landry look better than he actually was, and by extension his stats are inflated. I don't really think Landry did a lot to make any of the skills guys better (more indicative of a great QB).

In the case of Aikman and Montana (not really fair to compare them with Landry), they were all-time great QBs complimented by hall of fame talent at skill positions.

wow......ok! :)

Ton Loc
1/7/2013, 08:20 AM

Cocaine or Meth - I'm deciding between the two and you seem to have the right answer.

Also, if Christian Ponder, Joe Webb, and every QB Jacksonville used this year have a place in the NFL. Then surely - there is a place for Landry.

jkjsooner
1/7/2013, 08:35 AM
...most of the records he broke were set by QBs that were starters for two or three yrs...I just hope the heir to the position brings more dimension so the offense doesnt have to resort to gimmicks and gadgets to score in the red zone and goal line sets to make first downs

SS

Your complaint has nothing to do with the QB. You're not going to be very successful in the red zone if you can't run the ball. We haven't been able to (going back even before Jones) and thus we've added packages to help.

Bourbon St Sooner
1/7/2013, 09:29 AM
If we have the same offensive philosophy next year where the qb is expected to do everything, then we'll be lucky to be bowl eligible.

Imagine an O-line that run blocks
I wonder if you can
Imagine more than 2 yards per carry
it's not hard if you try
Imagine all the O-line blocking as one
You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one
Some day Heupel may join us, and OU may even by #1

XingTheRubicon
1/7/2013, 09:32 AM
A LOT of people- only it wasnt Paul Thompson - it was Bomar - before he got kicked off the team - there were many that believed a young mobile running/throwing QB phenom was the answer - if only Jason White would not come back for his final year so that Bomar could step in and save OU from football hell

trust me - i heard it A LOT

No, it was Paul Thompson. It was the immediate days after the disastrous OB, and Bomar was still just a redshirt. There were calls for Bomar over Thompson later in the spring...but, at this time 8 years ago, it was ENA.

ouleaf
1/7/2013, 10:27 AM
Cocaine or Meth - I'm deciding between the two and you seem to have the right answer.

Also, if Christian Ponder, Joe Webb, and every QB Jacksonville used this year have a place in the NFL. Then surely - there is a place for Landry.

Ponder and Webb at least have mobility to their game. If you are strictly a pocket passer, you'd better be the second coming of Manning or Brady or you are going to get destroyed at the next level.

Landry's best bet is to find himself as a backup behind an elite QB. If he goes to a team that is expecting him to seriously be in the mix for a starting role is going to be left disappointed.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/7/2013, 11:32 AM
Ponder and Webb at least have mobility to their game. If you are strictly a pocket passer, you'd better be the second coming of Manning or Brady or you are going to get destroyed at the next level.

Landry's best bet is to find himself as a backup behind an elite QB. If he goes to a team that is expecting him to seriously be in the mix for a starting role is going to be left disappointed.

Yes because Brady was so highly thought of coming out of college he was a high draft pick. The NFL is a totally different game than college because of the talent concentration. No one has any clue how the top 10% of college (which Landry is) are going to react to the new game.

Now, personally, I think he has some "quirks" that are going to drive NFL coaches bonkers and they aren't the quirks that everyone on this board talk about. The particular quirk I'm thinking of is his penchant for a 3 and out after an opponent score.

Curly Bill
1/7/2013, 01:47 PM
The quirk I don't like is the one where he's terrified of getting hit. If he's scared to get hit in the college game what's he gonna do when J.J. Watt or someone of that ilk is about to bend him over?

jk the sooner fan
1/7/2013, 02:29 PM
The quirk I don't like is the one where he's terrified of getting hit. If he's scared to get hit in the college game what's he gonna do when J.J. Watt or someone of that ilk is about to bend him over?

this is criticism i've never understood........starting QB's are taught to avoid being hit unnecessarily.......dont get injured, we need you in the game

remember what happened to Bradford when he was driven into the turf? yeah, how'd that work out for him

so i guess i just dont get that criticism.....at all

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/7/2013, 03:41 PM
this is criticism i've never understood........starting QB's are taught to avoid being hit unnecessarily.......dont get injured, we need you in the game

remember what happened to Bradford when he was driven into the turf? yeah, how'd that work out for him

I believe at the time we stated that our coaches needed to teach him how to fall when he got hit ;)

Jason White's Third Knee
1/7/2013, 04:16 PM

I have seen you post that several times and I have no idea what in the hell you are talking about. I have never seen him show a lack of courage. Ever.

cvsooner
1/7/2013, 04:24 PM
Landry's biggest fault is having to play after the likes of White and Bradford for more than one season with really high expectations...even though his bowl record and BCS records are far better. ENA is fondly remembered because he was willing to do anything for the team, had good leadership skills when needed, and because expectations for that season had plummeted after the Bomar/Big Red Auto thing happened in August. The fact that he was good enough to win 11 games (I count Oregon as a win), plus the Big 12 championship brought everyone up to admiration...whereas the first game of the previous season they couldn't bench him fast enough after one half of his first start.

This isn't a slam against ENA. He is actually my all time favorite Sooner. But Landry gets a lot of flack for following the gameplan. I kept wishing against that three man front in the second half that he would pull it down and run with it, as it was his last college game. But nope, coach called a pass play, so....

OkieThunderLion
1/7/2013, 04:24 PM
White's a legend, but Landry is a better QB.

cvsooner
1/7/2013, 04:31 PM
White also had a better team around him. Landry has his faults...the biggest being he peaked at the end of the 2010 season and made only modest improvement after that. Don't get me wrong: without him this year, we'd be looking at .500 or worse for a season record. Or something like next season is looking.

cvsooner
1/7/2013, 04:41 PM
http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/010713aad.html

"Jones concluded his collegiate career with a 39-11 (.780) record as a starter at OU, giving him the most victories in school history.

"The Artesia, N.M., native also ranks as OU's all-time career leader in passing yards (16,646), passing yards per game (314.1), pass attempts (2,184), pass completions (1,388), 300-yard games (27), 400-yard games (12), TD passes (123), total offense (16,271) and total offense per game (307.0). His 16,646 career passing yards and 16,271 total yards are the highest career totals in Big 12 Conference history."

Yeah, it's a shame he didn't have IT. But he did marry WhITney Hand.

Curly Bill
1/8/2013, 08:51 AM
I have seen you post that several times and I have no idea what in the hell you are talking about. I have never seen him show a lack of courage. Ever.

Then you haven't paid attention!

PrideMom
1/8/2013, 12:11 PM
Be careful what you wish for.......

dennis580
1/8/2013, 03:29 PM

The only QB currently on a roster who has the potential to be a superstar, and carry us to a national championship next season is Blake Bell PERIOD.

thecrimsoncrusader
1/8/2013, 03:36 PM

That would be true, but there have been a number of times in Landry's career where he did roll out with nothing in front of him where he could have easily ran for 5 yards and dived without anyone being within 5 yards of him. But what does he do? He throws it away. He wasn't taught to throw it away when there is that kind of real estate. His dive in the WVU that avoided a Sooner first down late in the game was pure BS. He did crap like that his entire career.

Curly Bill
1/8/2013, 03:46 PM
He's always had "happy feet" in the pocket, looked to bail at the first hint of trouble, (despite the fact he can't run out of sight in a day), and basically been afraid to stand strong in the pocket and deliver quality throws under pressure. No QB wants to get hit, and no coach wants their QB getting hit, but sometimes you need him to stand in there and deilver under pressure - something LJ has not done with any consistency, if at all.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/8/2013, 03:59 PM
He's always had "happy feet" in the pocket, looked to bail at the first hint of trouble, (despite the fact he can't run out of sight in a day), and basically been afraid to stand strong in the pocket and deliver quality throws under pressure. No QB wants to get hit, and no coach wants their QB getting hit, but sometimes you need him to stand in there and deilver under pressure - something LJ has not done with any consistency, if at all.

So did Hybl and White. Are you saying that Hybl was afraid in the pocket? Because I can point you to that KState 2001 game where he took one of the most ferocious beatings I've ever seen a QB take.

Curly Bill
1/8/2013, 04:47 PM
So did Hybl and White. Are you saying that Hybl was afraid in the pocket? Because I can point you to that KState 2001 game where he took one of the most ferocious beatings I've ever seen a QB take.

It would be quite a stretch to equate me saying LJ pisses down his leg at the first sign of pressure, to insinuating I think the same about Hybl or White, because I don't.

winout
1/8/2013, 06:25 PM
i want to see bell in our regular offense for more than the 1 play he gets sometimes after a sneak. i think he would be very dangerous to defenses

Exactly, Bell with the run/pass option as well. I think picking up a first down with your qb's feet once-in-awhile would be a nice addition to our offense.

EatLeadCommie
1/8/2013, 06:35 PM
There is a reason why LJ went from first rounder before the Broyles injury last year to about the 8th best QB prospect in the draft. It's not just LJ bashers who see his shortcomings, but everybody else too. Million dollar arm, 2 cent head.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/8/2013, 06:42 PM
It would be quite a stretch to equate me saying LJ pisses down his leg at the first sign of pressure, to insinuating I think the same about Hybl or White, because I don't.

Okay, so what do you mean by happy feat? Hybl used to almost do an in place sprint in the pocket. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-R1Jf9a9TM 3:53 mark

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/8/2013, 06:49 PM
There is a reason why LJ went from first rounder before the Broyles injury last year to about the 8th best QB prospect in the draft. It's not just LJ bashers who see his shortcomings, but everybody else too. Million dollar arm, 2 cent head.

I never thought Eric Bassey would get removed from his position as most complained about Sooner. Seems I was wrong.

thecrimsoncrusader
1/8/2013, 07:36 PM

Hybl also sucked it up in the Texas game before being pulled. To clarify, Hybl tried to gut it out in the Texas game before finally being pulled and that was right after the KSU game where he got slaughtered physically. At the very least, he should of had the respect of every Sooner fan in that game. Tough hombre.

thecrimsoncrusader
1/8/2013, 07:45 PM
Jones has a better arm and just as good mobility as McCarron. The difference is McCarron is asked to manage a game and work off of play action. He has the best line and RB's in the game.

Jones was asked to be 99% of the offense and was required to win the game almost every saturday. If we didn't win, odds are it was because he only carried the team 95% instead of 99.

Jones got sacked a LOT less than McCarron. OU's pass-blocking has been great over the years so Landry hardly did it on his own. People have short memories and forget such plays as when Landry throws a poorly thrown ball that is almost intercepted by OSU that Kenny Stills makes a great TD grab on. Landry has had a great supporting cast of receivers except for second half of last season when Broyles when down.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/8/2013, 09:02 PM
Hybl also sucked it up in the Texas game before being pulled. To clarify, Hybl tried to gut it out in the Texas game before finally being pulled and that was right after the KSU game where he got slaughtered physically. At the very least, he should of had the respect of every Sooner fan in that game. Tough hombre.

He played decently in that game. It was the next year where he sucked it up with 4 INTs.