PDA

View Full Version : Do NOT fire Stoops

Crimsontothecore
1/5/2013, 09:21 AM
With his accomplishments and record at OU, he absolutely deserves to keep his job in spite of his poor record in big bowl games. However, he has absolutely earned a pay cut. If you can no longer field a team capable of beating top tier teams, you shouldn't be paid the third highest salary in college football. It just doesn't make sense from a financial or professional perspective. Second tier performances deserve second tier pay. Stoops salary should be in the 2.5mil range and not a penny more. That's reasonable pay for coaches whose teams lose 2-3 games per year and look totally incompetent against high quality opponents.

Okie35
1/5/2013, 09:46 AM
Who really cares about his salary? Be serious.

cherokeebrewer
1/5/2013, 09:59 AM
I doubt Bob Stoops is worried about his salary or his job security...

wishbonesooner
1/5/2013, 10:22 AM
I care.

Crimsontothecore
1/5/2013, 10:52 AM
I am being serious. Sure, wins and losses are what really matters to me and other fans, but if we have to accept mediocrity, Bob should have to accept less pay for providing that mediocrity. There's a reason he makes the enormous salary he does. It doesn't come without high expectations, and while it's not realistic to expect not to ever lose a big game, it's very realistic to expect to at least look competitive. OU no longer competes like an elite team in big bowl games and therefore Stoops no longer deserves elite pay. It's very reasonable and really not that hard to understand.

JLEW1818
1/5/2013, 10:54 AM
I am being serious. Sure, wins and losses are what really matters to me and other fans, but if we have to accept mediocrity, Bob should have to accept less pay for providing that mediocrity. There's a reason he makes the enormous salary he does. It doesn't come without high expectations, and while it's not realistic to expect not to ever lose a big game, it's very realistic to expect to at least look competitive. OU no longer competes like an elite team in big bowl games and therefore Stoops no longer deserves elite pay. It's very reasonable and really not that hard to understand.

Agreed

rdusooner
1/5/2013, 11:00 AM
I realize that Stoops is a good coach, and there isn't likely a replacement who is any better. But I also can't help but feel like someone needs to pay for the constant embarrassment in big situations. Someone needs to be held accountable. We used to be perennial top 5, then top 10, now its looking like top 15 should be the expectation, which is still a great program, just not what we've come to expect at OU

JLEW1818
1/5/2013, 11:04 AM
Venables is laughing his *** off

Jason White's Third Knee
1/5/2013, 11:05 AM
Bob is turning in to Mack Brown and I don't like it. I like Mack... he isn't putting out a good product. I like Bob. His product needs a lot of work.

rdusooner
1/5/2013, 11:07 AM

As he probably should be

1/5/2013, 11:45 AM
I'll pass this along to the board. We were all so hell bent on firing him... Thank you. You might have just saved his keister!

agoo758
1/5/2013, 12:14 PM
Past accomplishments do not entitle you to permanent employment. I don't get why everyone was upset over what happened to Bobby Bowden for example. Why did everyone believe he deserved to go out on his own terms? Because of what he did from 85-00? Who cares? His last 9 years were terrible. Stoops isn't that point yet, but turning a team around from the blake years doesn't excuse you from mediocrity, which is what we have been for 6 out of the last 7 years.

sussudio
1/5/2013, 12:34 PM
Are we this f*^**in spoiled? Who gives a rats azz about the crap s**t cotton bowl seriously? Close shop and look forward to next year...

TahoeSOONER
1/5/2013, 12:38 PM
Trust in Stoops...the man, the legend.

Coach has the passion to turn it back around

Sabanball
1/5/2013, 12:43 PM
I think most of you are overreacting a bit and that Bob is still a top 3 coach, I just think he needs to focus more on what got him to where he is--coaching and recruiting more toward playing better DEFENSE. You've given up, what, 90 pts in the last two games? I can remember when you guys didn't give up that many ALL YR.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/5/2013, 12:47 PM
Venables is laughing his *** offI was thinking the same thing yesterday afternoon, when I was watching the Underarmor HS Allstar game, and several guys were committing to Clemson. We had one, Keith Ford, and I only saw him run once, for 2 yds.( However, I didn't watch the entire game.)

1/5/2013, 12:49 PM
Bob is turning in to Mack Brown and I don't like it. I like Mack... he isn't putting out a good product. I like Bob. His product needs a lot of work.Mack's still considerably different from Bob. He is still getting the recruits he wants, but not winning. Bob is whiffing on recruits, more and more.

Therealsouthsider
1/5/2013, 12:54 PM
With his accomplishments and record at OU, he absolutely deserves to keep his job in spite of his poor record in big bowl games. However, he has absolutely earned a pay cut. If you can no longer field a team capable of beating top tier teams, you shouldn't be paid the third highest salary in college football. It just doesn't make sense from a financial or professional perspective. Second tier performances deserve second tier pay. Stoops salary should be in the 2.5mil range and not a penny more. That's reasonable pay for coaches whose teams lose 2-3 games per year and look totally incompetent against high quality opponents.

... Coach salaries need to be strongly incentive based

SS

1/5/2013, 01:14 PM

SScompetition for coaching talent will keep that from happening.

Soonerjeepman
1/5/2013, 02:17 PM

SS

agree

they are for WINS...why not for losses? If he would have won I bet a big bonus like $50K or more.

OU_Sooners75
1/5/2013, 02:41 PM
To you sunshine thumpers and humpers....

Its not about Bob Stoops ability. Its the fact that he fails to take chances. Chances on the field and in his hiring of new coaches.

And when a coach is hired by Bob Stoops, it takes an act of Congress to get rid of the coach without the coach leaving on his own.

Stoops is a great coach, but the coaching staff he currently has assembled at OU isn't. And that directly reflects on Bob!

Changes are needed...real changesw....changes like a complete overhaul of your coaches.

Jdog
1/5/2013, 03:26 PM
Stoops and company do well with the players they get. They just don't get the same players that Bama, SC, Texas, Ohio State and Notre Dame get. To some degree that should make us all better about Stoops - and maybe not. There are a lot more coachs out there who are better than Stoops and in the case Texas and SC, there are a lot who are worse. Maybe it's time for us all to take a short break from all of this, clear our heads and reconvene back here in August. Believe me, there is a lot more to life to experience than OU football.

BudSooner
1/5/2013, 03:30 PM
To you sunshine thumpers and humpers....

Its not about Bob Stoops ability. Its the fact that he fails to take chances. Chances on the field and in his hiring of new coaches.

And when a coach is hired by Bob Stoops, it takes an act of Congress to get rid of the coach without the coach leaving on his own.

Stoops is a great coach, but the coaching staff he currently has assembled at OU isn't. And that directly reflects on Bob!

Changes are needed...real changesw....changes like a complete overhaul of your coaches.Back in the day some called him the riverboat gambler, the guy would look you in they eye, wink at ya as if to say "hey....watch what happens next!" but that guy has been replaced by the guy who puts his money in mason jars and then buries them in the backyard as a safe move.

I miss the gambler, that is sort of the appeal I see in comments by LSU fans about Les is that he takes some crazy chances but a large number of those gambles paid off in big wins.
Now not so much, the risk taker is gone and so is the success.

Just give us a heartstopping defense with a sound but power offense, STOP it with the meerkat stare at the sidelines "hurry up but don't" offense, the side to side rushing attacks. Better help on the O line to create holes to give the tailbacks opportunity to gash defenses up the middle, NOT off the edges.

EatLeadCommie
1/5/2013, 03:38 PM

He's the one who left the cupboard bare.

Crimsontothecore
1/5/2013, 03:58 PM
Are we this f*^**in spoiled? Who gives a rats azz about the crap s**t cotton bowl seriously? Close shop and look forward to next year...
Your comment makes no sense. NOT caring about the outcome of the Cotton bowl sounds spoiled to me. Besides, I get tired of fans being the ones accused of being spoiled. Isn't Stoops pretty spoiled for drawing that huge paycheck without having to deliver comparable results?

cherokeebrewer
1/5/2013, 04:20 PM
Just give us a heartstopping defense

The one we had last night stopped my heart several times.

I miss the gambler too!

1/5/2013, 04:57 PM
The one we had last night stopped my heart several times.

I miss the gambler too!2 things bothered me the most: 1)our D line quit rushing the passer, Johnny Hyman. They looked scared to go after him, fearing he would slip them , and get a big gain. 2) while still in the 3rd quarter, we started running the ball a lot more, and were getting very little yardage, while eating the clock. All the while needing 20 points, and therefore needing to get big gains. Fewer and shorter passes were attempted.

WHAT'S UP WITH THAT?

Bourbon St Sooner
1/5/2013, 05:05 PM

Why? Because he recruited all of those mediocre players?

zeke
1/5/2013, 05:09 PM
Bob & Mike looked like the Smothers Brothers last night arguing on the sidelines. It was and is embarrasing.

Almost as bad is a "hurry up" offense, that OU has been running for years, that has to burn up all of the time-outs with 6 minutes to go in a half. After having a flipping month to prepare.

I dont think getting rid of B Stoops is the answer. But HE needs to fix some things on both sides of the ball.

landrun
1/5/2013, 06:29 PM
He's the one who left the cupboard bare.

No. Bob Stoops is responsible for our talent, great talent, poor talent etc...

This is 100% on BOB Stoops' shoulder.

Curly Bill
1/5/2013, 07:44 PM

Yup!

SoonerMarkVA
1/5/2013, 09:37 PM
Stoops isn't getting fired, so it's moot.

tulsaoilerfan
1/6/2013, 10:51 AM
1-5 in last 6 January Bowl games; thats pretty sad right there. I do not want Stoops fired, but would like to see some changes made in what we do on both sides of the ball

FriscoTXsooner
1/6/2013, 11:27 AM
There is plenty of blame to go around this year, booted players, injuries, lack of talent blah blah blah, at the end of the day you still have to tackle, you still have to score, and you still have to play hard for 60 minutes, but we seem to have forgotten a lot of that. I think it's time for some changes, but where do you start? With recruiting? Can we once again get the surprised picks that someone else overlooked and we turned into a monster? Or is it the chicken and the egg, we have to get better before we can get the game changers. Secondly, we have to forget about loyalty to some of the current coaches and simply say, you aren't getting the job done, and it's time for a change. I love what Josh H. did for us in 2000, and as a position coach he is fine, but he has no business playing OC. His play calling is terrible. Case in point, if you paid attention during the games, his scheme was so predicable it was scary - pass on first down, and if you didn't make it run on second down. this happened I bet 99.3% of the time, look back and you will see this. We would start gaining traction with a no huddle hurry up, and then suddenly stop? why? if it's working keep going until they stop it! simple! We are spoiled because we love this team, and we want to win, nothing wrong with that, but remember this young kids are doing all that they can, they will have good games and bad games, but they are busting their butts for this university. Be patient, we will regain our standing as a top notch program, we have to we are the Oklahoma Sooners!!!!!

soonervegas
1/6/2013, 12:26 PM
Stoops is safe at OU as long as Mack is at UT.....once that changes (because Texas can and will go big) oh boy.

Until then 10 wins, beating Mack 2 out of every 3 years, and 85,000 yokels paying $85 per ticket to watch it......he has tremedous job and salary security.

tulsaoilerfan
1/6/2013, 01:56 PM
The thing i don't get about Josh is why the hell do you run shotgun when on the 1 yard line? Line up under center and give yourself a damn chance