PDA

View Full Version : Our defense.

SOONER44EVER
1/5/2013, 01:30 AM
Is this year's defense the worst (statistically) in the history of the program? I know it's a different era but I can't remember any OU D giving up points and yards and opponents setting offensive records even close to what this D has done. Any stats guys out there?

Soonerus
1/5/2013, 01:33 AM
Yes, it must be, horrific ...

OkieThunderLion
1/5/2013, 01:58 AM
Yes, but not when adjusted for competition.

Soonerus
1/5/2013, 02:00 AM

That is the weakest thing I have ever heard in my life...

OkieThunderLion
1/5/2013, 02:10 AM
That is the weakest thing I have ever heard in my life...
It is what it is.

Raw stats are the worst. Adjusted stats aren't.

SOONER44EVER
1/5/2013, 02:10 AM
Didn't we give up over 600 yards twice? WVU and A&M?

Since71ASooner4Life
1/5/2013, 08:55 AM

Tavon Austin - 350 years on 15 carries, and nearly 600 yards counting receiving and returns. His teammate had 200 yards receiving! This is division 1-AA crap that doesn't make the news!

How many players ran for over 100 yards against Alabama, LSU, or Notre Dame this year?

Too many times in recent years / bowl games our defense looked like that of one of the punk teams that the elites play in the opening game of every new season

cherokeebrewer
1/5/2013, 09:31 AM
Defense wins championships. Been that way for all my time...

BoomerJoeDon
1/5/2013, 09:47 AM
Our Defense has been on a downward slide for years. I don’t know why everyone is so upset; we knew this was not a great team. OU will be back on top again, I don’t think it will happen as fast as Bob did it the first time. The Big Twelve has gone down over the years. OU has been the big twelve the last several years.

OUInformant
1/5/2013, 10:09 AM
This defense looked decently strong early on, but totally fizzled down the stretch. Give Mike some time to recruit.

OUmillenium
1/5/2013, 10:18 AM
Need linemen and linebackers. Our secondary was OK.

wishbonesooner
1/5/2013, 10:24 AM
We have a defense? I thought that was some guys taking up time while our offense took a break!

JLEW1818
1/5/2013, 10:57 AM
Too many weak linebackers.

LHSooner
1/5/2013, 11:02 AM
We have a defense? I thought that was some guys taking up time while our offense took a break!

The game of football has been and always will be won at the line of scrimmage. Look at the teams OU has lost to, not only this year, but over the last several years. They have ALL had better o-lines and/or defensive lines. Certainly this year, all the injuries depleted the talent on the o-line, and the d-line never had much talent or depth to begin with. ND, K-State, and A&M ALL had better lines on both sides of the ball.

OU's plight against top-tier competition will not change until we reverse the talent disparity on the lines.

TahoeSOONER
1/5/2013, 11:49 AM
This was one of the most embarssing DLINEs Oklahoma football have ever put on the field, particularly the ends. Can't contain and we got gashed by a spry QB for (gulp) 200 ****ing yards.

Bob and Mike can call all the right schemes but if the players can't tackle, pressure or at least contain then we leave our secondary doing too much.

Don't get me wrong, we got out coached and played last night but thier exceptional Oline made our weak Dline look really bad and it opened up the flood gates.

Long off season and this team better build off this one because we got problems all over the place.

hawaii 5-0
1/5/2013, 12:28 PM
Too many weak linebackers.

I'll add that we need some D Linemen that can collapse the pocket by themselves.

We've not seen a really good tackle since Gerald McCoy,

We've recently had at least one DE that was All Big 12. Not currently.

I hope the Stoops boys hit the recruiting trail hard this Winter.

5-0

trwxxa
1/5/2013, 12:45 PM
This defense looked decently strong early on, but totally fizzled down the stretch. Give Mike some time to recruit.

This coincides when we played teams with more dynamic offenses (WVU, Baylor, OSU, aTm). Same story as last year.

Tear Down This Wall
1/5/2013, 12:57 PM
Here's the only stat that counts: we lost three games because our defense can't handle running quarterbacks.

I'll say it again, the Big 12 has dumbed down our coaches' approach to defense. The league is geared toward the gimmicky spread, so that's what our defense can defend.

Come up against a team whose quarterback can run, and our coaches don't know what to do because they don't have the personnel to stop it.

Who cares about statistics? The 1998 team with Rex Ryan as defensive coordinator was 5-6 and had better defensive statistics. At the end of the day, though, what is the won-loss record? That's the only statistic that counts.

Th Big 12 is not a good conference - three total bowl wins with two coming down to final minute comebacks. But, again, our bar is set low: beat Texas, win/share the conference title.

The players obviously do not care any more than that. That's why you have all the dope smoking, DUIs, and shoplifting by key players between the end of the season and bowl game.

Many schools would love to be 10-3. It seems to be good enough for our administration and coaches. They'll keep hanging on that way until they get an invite into the basketball league they covet - the Pac-12.

It's not about national championships here anymore; it's about television money. So, just relax and enjoy the 10 wins against the Techs, Baylors, and Iowa States of the world.

MI Sooner
1/5/2013, 01:11 PM
Here's the only stat that counts: we lost three games because our defense can't handle running quarterbacks.

I'll say it again, the Big 12 has dumbed down our coaches' approach to defense. The league is geared toward the gimmicky spread, so that's what our defense can defend.

Come up against a team whose quarterback can run, and our coaches don't know what to do because they don't have the personnel to stop it.

Who cares about statistics? The 1998 team with Rex Ryan as defensive coordinator was 5-6 and had better defensive statistics. At the end of the day, though, what is the won-loss record? That's the only statistic that counts.

Th Big 12 is not a good conference - three total bowl wins with two coming down to final minute comebacks. But, again, our bar is set low: beat Texas, win/share the conference title.

The players obviously do not care any more than that. That's why you have all the dope smoking, DUIs, and shoplifting by key players between the end of the season and bowl game.

Many schools would love to be 10-3. It seems to be good enough for our administration and coaches. They'll keep hanging on that way until they get an invite into the basketball league they covet - the Pac-12.

It's not about national championships here anymore; it's about television money. So, just relax and enjoy the 10 wins against the Techs, Baylors, and Iowa States of the world.

If the Big 12 isn't a good conference, then there's only one good conference. And they won 4 games (4-5) not three. The strength of the Big 12 is its depth, not elite teams at the top. But elite teams would still struggle to go undefeated because nearly everyone can beat you if you don't show up. If the Big 12 and SEC played a round robin, I'm still not sure the Big 12 wouldn't have a better record. We drew an awful matchup and played like ****. If we had gotten LSU or Florida, there's a good chance we win.

I Am Right
1/5/2013, 01:52 PM
Defense?

birddog
1/5/2013, 03:48 PM
did wort play?

soonercastor
1/5/2013, 03:54 PM
did wort play?

LOL.