PDA

View Full Version : This is the 4th or 5th time I have been personally embarrassed by our bowl performanc

Soonerus
1/5/2013, 12:55 AM
...what is worse is I have been at every one personally and wasted thousands of dollars on this nonsense...

Tear Down This Wall
1/5/2013, 01:08 AM
We live in the DFW area and never considered going. We tired of wasting money watching SEC schools beat us in bowl games long ago.

Blue
1/5/2013, 01:11 AM
...sucks to be you...heh

Soonerus
1/5/2013, 01:17 AM
I agree I am so dumb, I keep drinking the koolade....

Sco
1/5/2013, 01:20 AM
This is why I never bet on teams I root for. I can't be unbiased looking ahead to those games.

Seamus
1/5/2013, 04:41 AM
...what is worse is I have been at every one personally and wasted thousands of dollars on this nonsense...

Then stop going to the damn bowl games, goddammit! I want to enjoy the holidays!!!!1!!!11!!!1!!111!!!!1eleven!!!!!11!1!!1 11!!!!!!1!

OUmillenium
1/5/2013, 10:44 AM
4 or 5? Sounds like somebody is losing count = sad football

sooneron
1/5/2013, 10:48 AM
I think we should all chip in to get Rus a big tv or something, just so he won't go to the games. I have not attended a loss since the 01 osu game. You guys should be flying me in! :D

OUInformant
1/5/2013, 11:26 AM
Nothing was worse than the USC fiasco. I spent some money on that trip.

soonervegas
1/5/2013, 01:09 PM
When I was much younger I always looked with disdain at bandwagon fans - in my mind they weren't true fans. As I have aged, I have to come to realize they were just much much smarter than me.

I used to be a road dog - I got my fill back in 2008.....I finally realized hinging any of my life enjoyment on following 20 year olds (who aren't mine) across the country to watch them play ball was madness.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/5/2013, 01:16 PM
...what is worse is I have been at every one personally and wasted thousands of dollars on this nonsense...So, don't charge so much for your services, and you won't waste as much.

heh

CatfishSooner
1/5/2013, 01:17 PM
I think we should all chip in to get Rus a big tv or something, just so he won't go to the games. I have not attended a loss since the 01 osu game. You guys should be flying me in! :D

Trust, Russ has got him a big screen...

Tear Down This Wall
1/5/2013, 02:12 PM
When I was much younger I always looked with disdain at bandwagon fans - in my mind they weren't true fans. As I have aged, I have to come to realize they were just much much smarter than me.

I used to be a road dog - I got my fill back in 2008.....I finally realized hinging any of my life enjoyment on following 20 year olds (who aren't mine) across the country to watch them play ball was madness.

Ditto here. We've had season tickets for 18 seasons, and used to try to make every home, road, and bowl. Aside from the cost, life also gets in the way.

I was 26 when I bought my first season ticket package, newly married, no kids, and no real career, just a job. Seventeen seasons later, I've got not only wife, but two kids under the age of 10, and own a business. We make two or three home games a year, and give tickets to the rest of the games to family, friends, or clients.

If I thought we'd have a prayer of a chance in some games, I might buy bowl tickets again. But, honestly, even those that we have won haven't been exciting match ups,so we didn't go. Boise State. Connecticut. Blah. Who arranges these? Sun Bowl?

No thanks. When you have a family and business, you watch your dollars more judiciously. We pay enough for the season tickets. If the players don't care anymore than to be out smoking dope between the end of the season and the bowl game, why would we throw money at it? If the coaching staff isn't going to develop a scheme to stop running quarterbacks, why bother with watching a repeat of what we already saw versus Kansas State and Notre Dame?

CatfishSooner
1/5/2013, 02:20 PM
Glad I didn't go this year... I might have punched an aggi

TrueBornSooner
1/5/2013, 02:22 PM
We got season tickets starting in 2000, when my daughter was 6. We still buy the tickets, but three of the last four years we have sold the sets. College tuition sets your priorities very quickly.

Maybe when she's done we will start up again, but I just don't know. Tickets have basically tripled in the last decade, and a drive from Dallas is time consuming.

Soonerus
1/5/2013, 02:40 PM

Honestly, the Aggie fans were very tolerable...

70sooner
1/5/2013, 03:13 PM
Honestly, the Aggie fans were very tolerable...

even when they were chanting S-E-C S-E-C S-E-C!!!???

SoonerorLater
1/5/2013, 03:26 PM
All right, football season is over, in the past. It's now basketball season. We can now set back and enjoy ........... oh, never mind.

Soonerus
1/5/2013, 04:37 PM
even when they were chanting S-E-C S-E-C S-E-C!!!???

Yes, that did not bother me...I thought it was an Aggie thing to do...what have they been in the SEC for even a year ?

Sooner98
1/5/2013, 05:03 PM
After dropping $1000 to $1500 to watch us get exposed every time as paper tigers against LSU, USC, Boise, WVU, and Florida, I'd had enough, and haven't been back to a bowl game since. It's much less painful (and cheaper) to watch us lose to superior teams on television at home. At least next year we will be looking at 5 losses, sent to play Minnesota in the Heart of Dallas Bowl, and not have to get bludgeoned by one of those big, scary SEC teams again.

SanDiegoSoonerGal
1/5/2013, 05:20 PM
Oh for crying out loud.

Anyone not a coach or a player who is personally embarrassed by a college team's performance ... good grief.

Am I disappointed? Extremely. Embarrassed, no. Still proud to be a Sooner, hell yeah.

BajaOklahoma
1/5/2013, 06:11 PM

I wanted to do it - and i was there.
I did enjoy pissing off the woman in frotn of me - at halftime, I said I wasn't impressed by the aggie band. They do the same marching routines every game. Large band, good sound, but .... give me the Stanford band any day.

ashley
1/5/2013, 08:56 PM
Any good psychologist will tell you that you are really screwed up if PERSONALLY embarassed by the way a football team plays.

1/5/2013, 10:20 PM
Any good psychologist will tell you that you are really screwed up if PERSONALLY embarassed by the way a football team plays.even a street person living under the bridge would tell you that.

Soonerus
1/5/2013, 10:29 PM
Sorry I was embarrassed by our performance...but I was face to face with Aggie fans before and after the game...I am sure it is a different experience in the privacy of your home...you probably do not understand...

1/5/2013, 10:47 PM
Sorry I was embarrassed by our performance...but I was face to face with Aggie fans before and after the game...I am sure it is a different experience in the privacy of your home...you probably do not understand...shoulda laughed at them. They are all joyous, with Sumlin and Johnny Hyman, and recruiting zinging for them. Lets you know it isn't all that serious. Just a bunch of folks who are not you, on both the teams that were playing. Remember how shi*ty the '90's were for OU football. We all survived it, none the worse for wear.

Soonerus
1/5/2013, 10:55 PM
Yes, I remember the 90's , I was at every game...

1/5/2013, 11:04 PM
Yes, I remember the 90's , I was at every game...I became a bandwagoner after or during the 4th yr of Gary Gibbs as HC. Smellsofbourbon gave me hope, since he had been such a rock star as coach of the U...until he surfaced as a hopeless derelict, not willing to lead the OU program. John Blake was a special guy, and if you were ever personally embarrassed by OU coaching, he was the one. Bob Stoops and his record are way stellar, compared to all that 90's blundering.

Soonerus
1/5/2013, 11:09 PM
Blake locked himself in his office playing video games...I think we are doing a little better these days...

1/5/2013, 11:10 PM
GO BAMERS! Bury the Domer!

SanDiegoSoonerGal
1/5/2013, 11:23 PM
Yes, I remember the 90's , I was at every game...

Then you must remember that joke going around back then about why they called it Owen Field:

Owen one.
Owen two.
Owen three.

Not that there's any good time to be personally embarrassed over a team's performance, but it would have certainly been more apropo then than now.

Soonerus
1/5/2013, 11:24 PM
I was embarrassed several times back then...

SanDiegoSoonerGal
1/5/2013, 11:54 PM
I was too, but not over OU football. There was this one time I accidentally farted in the supermarket...oh well, enough said.

In my own defense I had been sick with the stomach flu.

Soonerus
1/5/2013, 11:58 PM
I was too, but not over OU football. There was this one time I accidentally farted in the supermarket...oh well, enough said.

In my own defense I had been sick with the stomach flu.

Gross...

OUInformant
1/6/2013, 12:06 AM
Losing by 4 TDs blows chunks. I was hoping to play them closer.

SanDiegoSoonerGal
1/6/2013, 12:08 AM
Actually, it wasn't that gross. It was really pretty funny considering it sounded horrible but didn't smell. At least not as far as I could detect.

Personally embarrassing though. Way more than...you know what.

1/6/2013, 12:23 AM
Your pathetic personal embarrassment thread has been turned into a potty humor thread. Doesn't that tell you sumthin?

SoonerKnight
1/6/2013, 03:53 AM
It is sad and a little embarrassing to see OU lose like this. To the aggies of all teams. Seriously. Aggies. This is OU we are talking about! We should never be a national joke it is embarrassing.

budbarrybob
1/6/2013, 04:12 AM
I don't go to the bowl games. Over the past several years I have even considered not renewing my season tix. I'm just not that wrapped up in OU FB any more. I remember getting mad and depressed after games we lost. Anymore I don't seem to even care afterwards... Yeah, I would like for us to win and all. Would be great. Just doesn't yank my chain that much anymore. Guess there's just too much going on in life to get so sunk into FB period. Wife will most likely insist getting the tix again next year. But, hey, I'm a cheapwad and homebody and have just as much fun in my living room and quicker to get to the bedroom when I watch it at home ;) Peace to all Soonerfans that are feeling the pit of despair right now.

PLaw
1/6/2013, 09:28 AM
Nothing was worse than the USC fiasco. I spent some money on that trip.

what game was that? I don't ever remember a fiasco v. usuc.

Bummer

1/6/2013, 01:19 PM
I don't go to the bowl games. Over the past several years I have even considered not renewing my season tix. I'm just not that wrapped up in OU FB any more. I remember getting mad and depressed after games we lost. Anymore I don't seem to even care afterwards... Yeah, I would like for us to win and all. Would be great. Just doesn't yank my chain that much anymore. Guess there's just too much going on in life to get so sunk into FB period. Wife will most likely insist getting the tix again next year. But, hey, I'm a cheapwad and homebody and have just as much fun in my living room and quicker to get to the bedroom when I watch it at home ;) Peace to all Soonerfans that are feeling the pit of despair right now.I like this^ Us fans have absolutely no control over OU football, other than to give money to the univ. one way or another. Hey, what if we were Tulsa fans, or Cameron, or something like that. I'm sure those schools have plenty of successful, happy people.

revelladee
1/6/2013, 06:59 PM
We were at the game.....and yeah, it sure did suck, surrounded by aggie fans, cussed at, harrassed in the parking lot after the game, drunks coming up to us and wanting to brag and fight about taking us down.....horrible feeling...and it was my son's senior year in the Pride....and at least the band was better than the Aggieband.....and yes, I said that!!! Shout out to the band kids that played for the team that didnt show up to play----

TUSooner
1/6/2013, 09:46 PM
When I was a kid and just starting to love OU football, my Grandpa told me he used to go to all the games but he quit because it was bad for his heart or his blood pressure or something. I thought that dear man was nuts. Now I know exactly what he was talking about.

1/7/2013, 01:09 AM
When I was a kid and just starting to love OU football, my Grandpa told me he used to go to all the games but he quit because it was bad for his heart or his blood pressure or something. I thought that dear man was nuts. Now I know exactly what he was talking about.My uncle played for OU back in the late 30's. He was a fullback on Dewey Luster's team of that time. Anyway, he wouldn't watch OU games on tv. Said it made him too nervous, and was better off not watching, FWIW. I don't know if he was always like that, but was that way the last 20 or 30 yrs of his life, I think. He died in the mid 90's.

winout
1/7/2013, 12:13 PM
Sorry I was embarrassed by our performance...but I was face to face with Aggie fans before and after the game...I am sure it is a different experience in the privacy of your home...you probably do not understand...

Console yourself, for heaven's sake, with 7 NC's. Not sure why you didn't mention that to the obnoxious fans.

My son, who is seven, was saying this weekend that all the teams we like are bad (OU, KSU, NU, Big XII). I told him OU has 7 NC, NU has five. I asked him "do you know how many UO and Or. State have combined?" (we live in OR now). He got a good lesson on the history of our team and it's success. He was satisfied with that.

tator
1/7/2013, 12:19 PM
Personally embarassed? Really?

Sooners78
1/7/2013, 12:40 PM
I don't go to the bowl games. Over the past several years I have even considered not renewing my season tix. I'm just not that wrapped up in OU FB any more. I remember getting mad and depressed after games we lost. Anymore I don't seem to even care afterwards... Yeah, I would like for us to win and all. Would be great. Just doesn't yank my chain that much anymore. Guess there's just too much going on in life to get so sunk into FB period. Wife will most likely insist getting the tix again next year. But, hey, I'm a cheapwad and homebody and have just as much fun in my living room and quicker to get to the bedroom when I watch it at home ;) Peace to all Soonerfans that are feeling the pit of despair right now.

I'm right there with ya. I'm completely off basketball and baseball. I dvr NFL games and all college football except OU. If the OU game is a sure win (rare these days), I dvr it, and start watching about 2 hours in so that I catch up near the end of the game after fast4warding thru huddles and commercials. I just don't care enough anymore to put the time and money into it. I haven't wasted ticket and gas money by going to a game since the 2008 TCU. My life is so much better (especially being able to get a good night's sleep after a loss) since I stopped caring so much about something so trivial as a football game.

However, since my daughter started playing in middle school, I've now gotten back into watching and playing tennis, and I must say, this is a golden age for the sport. Djokovic, Nadal, Federer, and Murray are all beasts!

Sooners78
1/7/2013, 12:43 PM
.and at least the band was better than the Aggieband.....and yes, I said that!!! -

Absolutely. That band might look impressive to the casual observer, but it's highly overrated.

Sooners78
1/7/2013, 12:50 PM
I like this^ Us fans have absolutely no control over OU football, other than to give money to the univ. one way or another. Hey, what if we were Tulsa fans, or Cameron, or something like that. I'm sure those schools have plenty of successful, happy people.

Hey, don't **** on Cameron! They won a national championship just before their president decided to axe the football program! Unbelievable! I've heard rumors they want to bring it back now after 25 years.

Tear Down This Wall
1/7/2013, 03:00 PM
After dropping $1000 to $1500 to watch us get exposed every time as paper tigers against LSU, USC, Boise, WVU, and Florida, I'd had enough, and haven't been back to a bowl game since. It's much less painful (and cheaper) to watch us lose to superior teams on television at home. At least next year we will be looking at 5 losses, sent to play Minnesota in the Heart of Dallas Bowl, and not have to get bludgeoned by one of those big, scary SEC teams again.

Agree. I think our complete jump off point will be the day they require contributions before you can renew the season tickets. I don't think that day is far off.

1/7/2013, 03:51 PM
Agree. I think our complete jump off point will be the day they require contributions before you can renew the season tickets. I don't think that day is far off.it prolly is a good thing for OU that our season is over. I would think ticket sales for the next few upcoming games would suffer a soft market.

cvsooner
1/7/2013, 04:11 PM
I wasn't embarrassed, but I was hoping for a win. Our struggles against WVU, Baylor and OSewe made it clear we were going to have our hands full, and the fact that aTm beat Alabama on the road meant to me that a. they're pretty good and b. that even having an Alabama caliber defense was not a guarantee of a win. This type of game is essentially a footrace and you have to match the opponent stride for stride. We did that in the first half but they left us in the dirt in the second.

Besides, every football game has one of three outcomes: your team wins big, your opponent wins big, or the game is close and settled at the end. I didn't see the first one even as a possibility, unfortunately. I thought the last two were the likeliest, and it was close at halftime...then the opponent won big.

Meh. It was a bowl game and like all bowl games in the BCS era, only one of those games actually means anything. That's not to say there aren't ramifications for how you do in the game or its aftermath (such as the decommit of Mastrogiovanni and switching over to aTm), and all the 'analysis' that gets done by fans and media types. True, the perception may become the reality. But c'mon, man: the Sooners, a flawed team at best this year, won 10 games, losing only to a team that is playing for the national title, a team that spent much of the season ranked number one and looked like it would be playing for the title (interesting they got blown out by double digits themselves, no?), and a team that won 11 games and beat the OTHER team that's playing for the national title. Also, we faced the top three finishers for the Heisman. Am I happy or satisfied? No. But it's still just a game, played by kids. It's mass-marketed entertainment, and it makes some people (ESPN and the coaches) a lot of money. And ultimately, it means nothing.

Ground_Attack
1/7/2013, 09:33 PM

If a football game embarrasses you, I suggest you get a life. Its a game.

Soonerus
1/7/2013, 09:43 PM
Such a colossal waste of time and money is embarrassing ...get it...

Jacie
1/7/2013, 11:17 PM
It could be worse. Notre Dame, in addition to sucking in the championship game, now has a 10-bowl game losing streak. Now that is something to be embarrassed about.

1/8/2013, 12:00 AM
It could be worse. Notre Dame, in addition to sucking in the championship game, now has a 10-bowl game losing streak. Now that is something to be embarrassed about.that deserves its own thread!!!

Piware
1/8/2013, 12:15 AM
For all the folks complaining about no NC since 2000, Notre Dame hasn't even had a whiff since 1988. Yikes!