PDA

View Full Version : just venting a bit

aero
1/5/2013, 12:49 AM
Before the game I was hoping we were going to look really sharp and dominate the ags. I just couldn't convince myself that was going to happen so I resolved to hoping we would at least pull out a victory. Alas, the game started and the reality of the current state of OU football began to rear it's ugly head.
Congrats to A&M. They have a solid team. Johnny Manziel is pretty darn good, regardless of our flailing attempts at defense.
Bob Stoops will always have my respect for bringing OU football out of a dark period, winning a national championship and restoring respect to the program. He's produced winning teams and conference championships. And he's done it will class. But I feel he now has a bigger challenge than when he arrived here. And that is to turn around what seems to be the precipice of a decline in the program. I actually feel it's been in somewhat of a decline for a few years but he's won conference championships and had, by any measure, good seasons. But not teams that I felt were as good as some others and probably not top 5 or perhaps even top 10. I haven't felt like we were a better team than the year before for a few years now.
I don't think we have the talent we've had in the past, but then again, I feel talent can be hit or miss with any team and that coaching goes a long way. I'm not sure where we lost it but it seems the players are missing something - maybe the fire and attitude that the coaching staff instills in them. I saw it in the A&M players and I've seen it with other teams - Oregon, Notre Dame, Bama, LSU - teams I feel are better than us.
The offense seems to be in total discombobulation. We seem to have morphed from an uptempo offense to a confused, predictable, finesse one. There is no rhythm or flow. We take too long to get plays off and waste time and timeouts doing so. Obviously, the line needs improvement. We need a tight end. That catches passes and is part of the offense. I'm guessing the coaches worked with what they had but I'd like to see a change. No more finesse. No more Belldozer. It seems to detract and change the dynamics when we switch from one offense to a special red zone offense. It almost seems as if we are conceding we can't score with our regular offense. And when we don't score with it, it gives the opponent a huge boost and sets a mindset of both teams that we will have a hard time scoring. Momentum and attitude are huge.
The defense is almost a mystery. The line needs an infusion of playmakers. We have bodies there but they are mostly invisible. I felt we had a better secondary than some other years but then we ended up with no pass rushers. I'm by no means a football genius so maybe someone can explain our schemes. It seems we play a lot of man coverage but we get NO pressure on the qb. Would we be better in a cover 2 and play more zone? I'm just not smart enough to understand what we are doing. We don't seem to blitz very often or get pressure but the corners seem to always be alone in man coverage.
I think it's directly on the coaching staff to assess the direction of the program and begin to implement changes. I actually think they have sat on a few years and should have had a better sense of needs. I don't think it will be a one year turn around and we may be in for a few years of a downward trend. But I'll still be here. Boomer Sooner