PDA

View Full Version : Scary thing is....

S00NR1
1/5/2013, 12:08 AM
...on top of everything else now our recruiting is crap too.

8timechamps
1/5/2013, 12:16 AM
I don't even know how to respond to this. Other than to say you couldn't be more wrong. I'm going to move this to the recruiting board, because you may need to spend some time there learning about the program you just accused of being crap.

S00NR1
1/5/2013, 12:23 AM
So you are saying our recruiting is at the same level now we have been accustomed to the past decade? Obviously we don't have nearly the talent in the trenches...

S00NR1
1/5/2013, 12:23 AM
And where did I ever say our program was crap? Great job moderating there bud.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/5/2013, 02:32 AM
And where did I ever say our program was crap? Great job moderating there bud.huh?(see post #1)

OU_Sooners75
1/5/2013, 02:57 PM
...on top of everything else now our recruiting is crap too.

"Its best to let people think your a fool, then to open your mouth and prove it".

Or however that quote goes.

OU_Sooners75
1/5/2013, 02:59 PM
So you are saying our recruiting is at the same level now we have been accustomed to the past decade? Obviously we don't have nearly the talent in the trenches...

Obviously you don't follow recruiting.

Ill leave it at that for now.

8timechamps
1/5/2013, 03:57 PM
And where did I ever say our program was crap? Great job moderating there bud.

I can only assume you were drunk, bud. What does moderating have to do with this?

Like I said, you should do some research on recruiting before making claims like that. Sorry if you took that personal, bud.

lexsooner
1/5/2013, 06:54 PM
I was not expecting to win last night, although I was disappointed by the defensive effort in the second half. I know the aggies are not 4 tds better than OU. But I refuse to start acting like the sky is falling. This team over the past three seasons has won 31 games, won two Big XII titles, one outright, won one BCS bowl, went to two other bowls, winning one of them. And this is with no All-Americans, just a balance of good players. I think this year's team did as well as possible, given their talent. The schedule was murderous, but they still won ten games and a share of the conference title, losing only to two teams who were ranked no. one at one time or another, and another to a team which will be ranked way up there in the top ten. I guess you can ask why we don't have more talent, but I just cannot agree the program is in sorry shape, fire the coach, our talent and recruiting sucks. That seems more of an emotional reaction rather than a reasoned one.

Collier11
1/5/2013, 06:59 PM
I dont follow it closely but dont we have a Top 10 class in the workings? Also, we have addressed some of our big needs on the DL

8timechamps
1/5/2013, 07:18 PM
I was not expecting to win last night, although I was disappointed by the defensive effort in the second half. I know the aggies are not 4 tds better than OU. But I refuse to start acting like the sky is falling. This team over the past three seasons has won 31 games, won two Big XII titles, one outright, won one BCS bowl, went to two other bowls, winning one of them. And this is with no All-Americans, just a balance of good players. I think this year's team did as well as possible, given their talent. The schedule was murderous, but they still won ten games and a share of the conference title, losing only to two teams who were ranked no. one at one time or another, and another to a team which will be ranked way up there in the top ten. I guess you can ask why we don't have more talent, but I just cannot agree the program is in sorry shape, fire the coach, our talent and recruiting sucks. That seems more of an emotional reaction rather than a reasoned one.

I'm sure it was an emotional reaction (it was posted right after the game last night).

I'm completely with you, this team did as well as I thought it would at the start of the year. Last night was disappointing, and Stoops should (and I'm sure will) address the areas that need to be "fixed". However, recruiting is not the issue, and is where it should be.

Oh, and I also agree that A&M isn't really 4 TDs better than OU. However, I'll be the first to admit that Johnny Manziel is better than I believed. Now I know why he was so hyped.

8timechamps
1/5/2013, 07:18 PM
I dont follow it closely but dont we have a Top 10 class in the workings? Also, we have addressed some of our big needs on the DL

Yep. On both counts.

Curly Bill
1/5/2013, 07:23 PM
I'm not on board the sky is falling wagon either, but I'll admit to being a tad bit concerned about recruiting this year. Hopefully it's a matter of us doing more research and targeting guys who will fit better, be more dedicated, or whatever, but we've missed out on a lot of the big-name guys we targeted, and however you slice it that can't be seen as a good thing.

OU_Sooners75
1/5/2013, 09:23 PM
Curly, you can down the list the last 10+ years and see we've rarely picked up commits from the big name kids.

And even the ones we have, most of them really haven't panned out for us.

jkjsooner
1/5/2013, 09:59 PM
huh?(see post #1)

I don't know why I'm jumping in the middle of this but he did say recruiting was crap. Big difference than saying the program is crap.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/5/2013, 10:54 PM
I don't know why I'm jumping in the middle of this but he did say recruiting was crap. Big difference than saying the program is crap.OK. Emotional proclamations are understandable, either way. We DID get whacked, again. It IS however, just a game. a spectator sport. At least unless you are a coach or player on the team.

Soonerus
1/5/2013, 11:29 PM
Everything is ok, trust me, I am in Norman now and it seems very normal...

Curly Bill
1/5/2013, 11:31 PM
Curly, you can down the list the last 10+ years and see we've rarely picked up commits from the big name kids.

And even the ones we have, most of them really haven't panned out for us.

I follow recruiting closely and this isn't so. One year we land the # 1 QB and the #1 RB in the same class. Another year we land 3 5-stars. We have traditionally signed numerous guys in the Rivals top 100 and 250. We used to make a habit of signing big name kids. We can debate whether that has really paid off, but we have done it.

OU_Sooners75
1/6/2013, 12:31 AM
Exactly, we don't make a name of landing the big name kids.

We get some, but nothing like USC, Texass, or Bama.

And even when we do get the big name kids, a lot of them fail at meeting their potential...

Jeremie Calhoun, Josh Jarboe (though he didn't make campus, what's he done?), R.J. Washington, rhett bomar, Tom wort, just to name a few here lately.

We do better when we get good solid kids with good solid coaching. The coaching has been the sketchy thing for the last 5+ years.

Curly Bill
1/6/2013, 01:47 AM
Exactly, we don't make a name of landing the big name kids.

We get some, but nothing like USC, Texass, or Bama.

And even when we do get the big name kids, a lot of them fail at meeting their potential...

Jeremie Calhoun, Josh Jarboe (though he didn't make campus, what's he done?), R.J. Washington, rhett bomar, Tom wort, just to name a few here lately.

We do better when we get good solid kids with good solid coaching. The coaching has been the sketchy thing for the last 5+ years.

Give me the big-name kids like we have got in the past, though probably not on par with saxet, USuC, or Bama and give me better coaching. All programs have big-name kids that end up never panning out, but all things being equal I'll take a 4 or 5-star kid over a 3-star, but without better coaching it doesn't make a damn who we get.

vtsooner21
1/6/2013, 07:49 AM
Said it before and please forgive me for jumping in here but don't be too influenced by star ratings. As history has shown, it's not always a proven form of talent. Give me a 2 or 3-star recruit that has heart and a great person, and I'll back them any time. Beats those prima donas that pose as "world beaters" but turn out playing in division 3 schools because they have no clue. My frustration lies in our recruiters not looking to build a defense capable of shutting down whatever offense that is thrown at them. Also, while adding to my wish list, I'd really enjoy seeing a running QB at OU. An added dimension that usually isn't accounted for. A pure passer without benefit of a great ground game or a glorified fullback at the QB position isn't going to cut it.

Boomer

birddog
1/6/2013, 04:53 PM
I don't know why I'm jumping in the middle of this but he did say recruiting was crap. Big difference than saying the program is crap.

then what else is the crap on top of?

8timechamps
1/6/2013, 06:32 PM
'
He said:

"...on top of everything else now our recruiting is crap too."

What would you assume he means by that? Seemed pretty clear to me.

sooneron
1/7/2013, 09:45 AM

im·ply
/imˈplī/
Verb
Strongly suggest the truth or existence of (something not expressly stated)

landrun
1/8/2013, 07:34 PM
The recruiting is crap. As opposed to saying the recruiting is GREAT!!

One of those is true. One is false.

Because the recruiting is crap doesn't mean the program is crap. That's is a false accusation.

However, with Stoops leading us, the program will be crap soon. And this class is just another step in that direction.

8timechamps
1/8/2013, 08:00 PM
The recruiting is crap. As opposed to saying the recruiting is GREAT!!

One of those is true. One is false.

Because the recruiting is crap doesn't mean the program is crap. That's is a false accusation.

However, with Stoops leading us, the program will be crap soon. And this class is just another step in that direction.

We'll just agree to disagree.

KantoSooner
1/10/2013, 05:34 PM

Okay, I'll play. In your version of a perfect world, who would you get over Stoops? And you can't have Saban.
Only one out there who I'd be even interested in interviewing would be Charlie Strong.
I don't think there are that many out there who are any better than Stoops.

stoopified
1/10/2013, 10:11 PM
I take comfort in old truism that is true in both sports and life; nothing is ever as good or bad as it seems.

SoonerorLater
1/11/2013, 01:15 PM
Okay, I'll play. In your version of a perfect world, who would you get over Stoops? And you can't have Saban.
Only one out there who I'd be even interested in interviewing would be Charlie Strong.
I don't think there are that many out there who are any better than Stoops.

I don't think OU will go for one of the trendy hot commodity coaches when they decide to make a move. If they hold true to form the next coach will come from the assistant ranks. Since WW II we have only hired one HC that was currently HC at another program and that was Howard S. We see how that worked out. Before that you have to go all the way back to Biff Jones to find a guy that was a then HC.

Widescreen
1/11/2013, 03:23 PM
I don't think OU will go for one of the trendy hot commodity coaches when they decide to make a move. If they hold true to form the next coach will come from the assistant ranks. Since WW II we have only hired one HC that was currently HC at another program and that was Howard S. We see how that worked out. B

You're talking about a sample size of one. That isn't really a fair analysis. I promise you there are some outstanding head coaches out there that would work very well at OU. You think Sumlin wouldn't have been a good head coach at OU?

SoonerorLater
1/11/2013, 06:55 PM
You're talking about a sample size of one. That isn't really a fair analysis. I promise you there are some outstanding head coaches out there that would work very well at OU. You think Sumlin wouldn't have been a good head coach at OU?

The point I was going for is that historically since WW II OU has by a magnitude of 9 to 1 not hired an active HC. Not that it's impossible the next HC wouldn't be.

I think Sumlin would be a good HC. Right now Sumlin has the wind to his back. Remember he is playing with Mike Sherman's recruits and he really hit the lottery with Manziel so things are going good right now.

budbarrybob
1/12/2013, 04:19 PM
The point I was going for is that historically since WW II OU has by a magnitude of 9 to 1 not hired an active HC. Not that it's impossible the next HC wouldn't be.

I think Sumlin would be a good HC. Right now Sumlin has the wind to his back. Remember he is playing with Mike Sherman's recruits and he really hit the lottery with Manziel so things are going good right now.

LMAO!
I think Stoops would be a good HC. Right now Stoops has the wind to his back. Remember he is playing with John Blake's recruits and he really hit the lottery with Heupel so things are going good right now

That thar is some funny sheet. Seems to me we've heard this somewhere before.

goingoneight
1/12/2013, 05:18 PM
Bob's staff has never been one to deliberately seek out "name guys." They are best known through the years as being good evaluators of talent. That said, it's a little scary that toward the end of the year, our best players weren't exactly our young players and we know nothing yet about the 2013 guys. I don't care if OU's next commitment is a 295 lb T prospect who has never played football before. If he gets in here and delivers and stays out of jail for 3-5 years, I'd consider along the same lines if not more of a success than McGee, Washington and McFarland-- everybody's who's who of D-linemen coming out of HS. The recruiting slump, if there is really one going on right now, is a result of a number of things. OU's reputation of being choke artists, the BIG 12 becoming a wasteland of college football and the players we need (defensive stars) don't want to play in a conference that will kill their ability to get to the next level. Also, I think those who hated on Kevin Wilson and Brent Venables are starting to see why it is they were equally important at recruiting as they were at fielding contending teams. I don't know who on staff currently can't get the job done... but it's clear to me that we're striking out when a few years ago we could at least hit a pop-fly for guys we didn't even stand a chance with.

goingoneight
1/12/2013, 05:20 PM
LMAO!
I think Stoops would be a good HC. Right now Stoops has the wind to his back. Remember he is playing with John Blake's recruits and he really hit the lottery with Heupel so things are going good right now

I remember seeing it about Larry Coker. I like Sumlin... but it's too early to tell whether or not he's really got things going or if he's just another Gene Chizik. And any coach who walks into a program with a guy like Manziel on campus from the previous regime definitely needs to thank their lucky stars.

SoonerorLater
1/12/2013, 05:45 PM
LMAO!

huh?

budbarrybob
1/13/2013, 04:16 PM
huh?

huh? What? Are you thick? How hard is it to see that I inserted different names in the post you made. That's why I first quoted you, then showed the modified text. If you have been around OU football for any time you would have certainly heard that BS (Bob Stoops) won the MNC with John Blake's players. So, seeing you type almost the Same crap about Sumlin, I thought it was funny as hell. Duh. But, since I had to e'splain it to you forget it...

SoonerorLater
1/15/2013, 01:25 PM
huh? What? Are you thick? How hard is it to see that I inserted different names in the post you made. That's why I first quoted you, then showed the modified text. If you have been around OU football for any time you would have certainly heard that BS (Bob Stoops) won the MNC with John Blake's players. So, seeing you type almost the Same crap about Sumlin, I thought it was funny as hell. Duh. But, since I had to e'splain it to you forget it...

I can see you inserted different names. Why be a smartass about it? I responded with a "huh" because it's meaningless to my response to Widescreen. I responded to HIS post. PERIOD! He asked if I thought Sumlin would have been a good coach. That was my answer. YES. I'm sure Sumlin would have been a good coach. He is a good coach. And the Sumlin - Blake - Stoops thing you bring up doesn't make much sense anyway as Stoops won the NC with A LOT of his recruits Heuple included. Sumlin won primarily with Sherman's recruits including Manziel. See the difference? Huh?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/15/2013, 05:11 PM
I agree that we don't have the talent in the trenches. Of course, we haven't had the talent in the trenches for 2-3 years so I'm not sure what makes this year so special to single out. I'd also argue that we haven't had a LOT of talent in the trenches since 2003 but anyway. The rest is just pure conjecture on your part. We have put a lot of guys into the pros that weren't valued by recruiting services.

One of my favorite examples is Ohio State's 2002 linebacker class. If they were only allowed to have 2 and the fans chose based on recruiting sites it would have looked like this:

Mike D'Andrea
Stan White

The other 2 Linebackers in that class?

Bobby Carpenter
A.J. Hawk

tulsaoilerfan
1/15/2013, 06:02 PM
Check back in 3 years to see how this class has done; anyone remember Dusty Loveless? Was going to be the next great DT at Oklahoma, so great he had a small feature in Sports Illustrated; don't think the kid even lasted a year at OU and then disappeared