PDA

View Full Version : a dose of perspective

jk the sooner fan
1/4/2013, 11:52 PM
this was tweeted by one of the OU men's basketball players tonight (M'Baye)

If we judged you by what you do on a daily basis, you'd know how it feel to be loved one day, and hated the next day.

this is what the fan base subjects these kids to on a regular basis.....so - just sayin

SoonerofAlabama
1/4/2013, 11:55 PM
Nice. Thanks for the post. :)

Boomer.....
1/4/2013, 11:55 PM
It is sad when grown *** men cut down and degrade early twenty-something college kids.

soonercastor
1/4/2013, 11:57 PM
what about if you're judged by something you do over and over on a daily basis?

KABOOKIE
1/4/2013, 11:58 PM
What a tough life

BoulderSooner79
1/5/2013, 12:00 AM
what about if you're judged by something you do over and over on a daily basis?

You have no effin' clue what these kids do on a daily basis. They play 13 games a year while they train/practice/prepare the other 352 days. And some even go to class too.

Socrefbek
1/5/2013, 12:05 AM
No wonder these "MEN" (all of em are over 18) aren't getting the job done. They are pampered and soft.

News Flash! Its called being cheered and criticized. Not loved and hated. What a moron. They are getting a free ride to a top University and have the chance that a lot of students don't to get a top education and a great start on life. When you are a D1 college athlete on a full scholly, you have a job to do and if you do not do it well then you will be criticized, benched etc. Life ain't easy and life ain't fair M'Baye. Pull on your big boy pants or step aside for someone that will.

soonercastor
1/5/2013, 12:06 AM
You have no effin' clue what these kids do on a daily basis. They play 13 games a year while they train/practice/prepare the other 352 days. And some even go to class too.

lol you sound mad, why don't you tell me more?
And when did I mention an athlete? But please continue with your tirade.

BoulderSooner79
1/5/2013, 12:08 AM
lol you sound mad, why don't you tell me more?
And when did I mention an athlete? But please continue with your tirade.

Okay, if you insist....

Sorry, bro, just going by the thread context.

zeke
1/5/2013, 12:10 AM
Oookaay. Can we criticize the coaching staff? They are grown ups...very rich ones at that.
Who looked unprepared, confused and down right stupid tonight.

Socrefbek
1/5/2013, 12:11 AM

It goes with the territory. If they can't handle criticism for poor performance and losing then don't take the scholarship. Go get a loan and pay for your school like just about everyone else. Half these kids would not even get in school if they were not athletes. Quitcher whinin ...

Soonerjeepman
if I don't do what I'm suppose to do on a daily basis I get fired...or my kids turn out to dumba@@es...or my electric gets turned off...I can't drive my car...

I usually don't ride on the kids too much. BUT I also agree, they have been training for this for usually 15 yrs...most start playing sports in K and get serious about playing D1 in Jr High/High school...and honestly I say MOST of the AA guys have 1 goal.."the league", be it nba, nfl...

They love the cheers when they win, well they need to understand the frustration when they lose. I wouldn't go so far as calling names.

I do think the coaches are fair game.

winout
I think for the most part us fans stay off the kids.

BoulderSooner79
Oookaay. Can we criticize the coaching staff? They are grown ups...very rich ones at that.
Who looked unprepared, confused and down right stupid tonight.

Yes.

BoulderSooner79
1/5/2013, 12:12 AM
It goes with the territory. If they can't handle criticism for poor performance and losing then don't take the scholarship. Go get a loan and pay for your school like just about everyone else. Half these kids would not even get in school if they were not athletes. Quitcher whinin ...

No.

jk the sooner fan
1/5/2013, 12:21 AM
you can all do whatever you wish - criticize as many as you like

Blue
1/5/2013, 12:24 AM

this is what the fan base subjects these kids to on a regular basis.....so - just sayin

Uugh, we want a natl title. So sue us...

Tulsa_Fireman
1/5/2013, 12:26 AM
I think for the most part us fans stay off the kids.

Yeah, because as Jerry Sandusky has shown us, that's illegal.

colleyvillesooner
1/5/2013, 12:31 AM
I agree with the gist of this thread.

Except for Tom Wort. I think we can all
agree he sucks. :)

Blue
1/5/2013, 12:32 AM
Oh and tell M'Baye he better get his **** together bc OU basketball is LIFE!

Soonerjeepman
1/5/2013, 12:35 AM
Oh and tell M'Baye he better get his **** together bc OU basketball is LIFE!

he is just warning us we won't have OU bball to look forward to...great~

StoopTroup
1/5/2013, 12:35 AM

Not only the kids but their Families too.

Great Post JK

SoonerofAlabama
1/5/2013, 12:37 AM
Now spencer Tillman is even calling for coaches' heads.

OUInformant
1/5/2013, 12:47 AM
Early 20 something men make millions in pro sports. You play the game, you gotta deal with it.

colleyvillesooner
1/5/2013, 12:49 AM
What pro sport athletes are we talking about?

Tulsa_Fireman
1/5/2013, 12:49 AM
Gay bowling.

jk the sooner fan
1/5/2013, 12:51 AM
Early 20 something men make millions in pro sports. I will cut them down if I want considering I played pro sports.

you played pro sports? ok - whatever.....judging from your posts, you lack general sports intelligence, are a doosh......

like i said - criticize whoever you want - i'm simply saying a "dose of perspective".....take it or leave it, be a doosh or dont

i want a national championship as badly as anybody........however.......

Blue
1/5/2013, 12:54 AM

However...you hurt your wrist in a gay bowling match...?

Mjcpr
1/5/2013, 01:16 AM
I'm not a fan of bashing the players over and over although I think they can take some criticism. What i have a problem with is that people say this fanbase does this as if no other fanbase does it. Our fanbase is no different than any other fanbase is or would be if they were in the same circumstance (history, program history, bowl games the last decade, big game disasters, etc.).

SicEmBaylor
1/5/2013, 01:40 AM
There are times when players clearly aren't putting out the effort they should or they do/act stupid off field and in their spare time. Things like that have an impact on the team and ultimately the university itself.

They aren't owed the right to be where they are -- they are there on scholarship and their education is being funded by the the university in exchange for their athletic talent and character. If they fail to live up to those standards then they're letting down every fan who has paid for a ticket or OU merchandise that helps fund their education not to mention the benefits they get as a result of student tuition and fees.

So, yes, they are open to some justifiable criticism when the occasions arise.

Okie35
1/5/2013, 09:42 AM
No wonder these "MEN" (all of em are over 18) aren't getting the job done. They are pampered and soft.

News Flash! Its called being cheered and criticized. Not loved and hated. What a moron. They are getting a free ride to a top University and have the chance that a lot of students don't to get a top education and a great start on life. When you are a D1 college athlete on a full scholly, you have a job to do and if you do not do it well then you will be criticized, benched etc. Life ain't easy and life ain't fair M'Baye. Pull on your big boy pants or step aside for someone that will.

I agree w/ your statement about cheered and criticized but what's a death threat fall under? It sure isn't criticism and collegiate athletes do receive those.

OUInformant
1/5/2013, 09:50 AM
you played pro sports? ok - whatever.....judging from your posts, you lack general sports intelligence, are a doosh......

like i said - criticize whoever you want - i'm simply saying a "dose of perspective".....take it or leave it, be a doosh or dont

pot meet kettle

BTW, played satellite tennis events.

colleyvillesooner
1/5/2013, 10:16 AM
I can guarantee you when you brag about playing pro sports and that pro sport turns out to be tennis the most popular response is BWHAHAHAHA!!!

jk the sooner fan
1/5/2013, 10:17 AM
tennis

BWHAHAHAHAHAHA.......

OUInformant
1/5/2013, 10:18 AM
Satellite tennis events. I took my share of criticism. It came with the territory.

BTW, what's up with the homophobia.

jk the sooner fan
1/5/2013, 10:19 AM
yes, i'm sure there are message boards filled with idiots foaming at the mouth over satellite tennis

:rolleyes:

OUInformant
1/5/2013, 10:19 AM
Something wrong with tennis? Its a pretty popular sport worldwide.

OUInformant
1/5/2013, 10:21 AM
yes, i'm sure there are message boards filled with idiots foaming at the mouth over satellite tennis

:rolleyes:

Not message boards idiot.

Coaches, players, family.

And a ****** like you could never play any sport for money.

jk the sooner fan
1/5/2013, 10:21 AM
you're trying to make a comparison to what ever criticism you received during "satellite tennis" -to thousands and thousands of fans criticizing the biggest money making sport in the NCAA

hello apples, welcome to oranges..........stop pretending that you know what those kids deal with - because the two dont compare.........at all

jk the sooner fan
1/5/2013, 10:22 AM
Not message boards idiot.

Coaches, players, family.

And a ****** like you could never play any sport for money.

big whoop - ****** canoe

OUInformant
1/5/2013, 10:23 AM
I can guarantee you when you brag about playing pro sports and that pro sport turns out to be tennis the most popular response is BWHAHAHAHA!!!

I wasn't bragging about it. And so the only really cool sports are big money sports. Wow, I'm sure that tennis players, rowers, golfers, gymnasts, etc., all work really damn hard at there sports. They don't play for fame. I didn't either.

OUInformant
1/5/2013, 10:24 AM
big whoop - ****** canoe

And criticism from them is the hardest to deal with. But you wouldn't know because you're a couch hillbilly with not a spit of athletic talent.

jk the sooner fan
1/5/2013, 10:26 AM
i'm 50 years old - but since you dont know a thing about me - you dont know what athletic talent i had or didnt have

the point of the original post was simply that before you go frothing at the mouth - calling out players - take a step back and a deep breath

but if you want to use your satellite tennis fame and fortune to criticize - you go on with your bad self

it's funny as hell though

tennis.......lmao

OUInformant
1/5/2013, 10:29 AM
I agree with the gist of this thread.

Except for Tom Wort. I think we can all
agree he sucks. :)

T. Wort had some good moments this year. I think he'll be better next year.

OUInformant
1/5/2013, 10:39 AM
i'm 50 years old - but since you dont know a thing about me - you dont know what athletic talent i had or didnt have

the point of the original post was simply that before you go frothing at the mouth - calling out players - take a step back and a deep breath

but if you want to use your satellite tennis fame and fortune to criticize - you go on with your bad self

it's funny as hell though

tennis.......lmao

Wow.

jk the couch hillbilly talking smack about other sports ....... lmao

OUInformant
1/5/2013, 10:40 AM
BTW, I didn't even really call out a single player. College players shouldn't be singled out, but pro players are not off limits.

sooneron
T. Wort had some good moments this year. I think he'll be better next year.

I said that last year.

jk the sooner fan
do you see even the slightest ounce of irony that you're being defensive about our criticism of your tennis fame - while defending your right to criticize the players?

what is satellite tennis - is that for the players not good enough to make the big boy league?

sooneron
1/5/2013, 10:41 AM
Wow.

jk the couch hillbilly talking smack about other sports ....... lmao

I think jk just found his new handle! LOLZ :D

sooneron
1/5/2013, 10:46 AM
I think calling out a player's performance is ok, just do it constructively.

OUInformant
1/5/2013, 10:47 AM
do you see even the slightest ounce of irony that you're being defensive about our criticism of your tennis fame - while defending your right to criticize the players?

what is satellite tennis - is that for the players not good enough to make the big boy league?

jk, you're clueless.

I never even really called out another player. IMO, college players are off limits, but paid pro players aren't.

OUInformant
1/5/2013, 10:48 AM

True true.

jk the sooner fan
1/5/2013, 10:48 AM

i have no problem with this - i think its ok to evaluate a players performance - the press does it, so the fans can as well

i'm talking about the idiotic statements many fans were making to players on twitter - the personal statements

sooneron
1/5/2013, 10:49 AM
i have no problem with this - i think its ok to evaluate a players performance - the press does it, so the fans can as well

i'm talking about the idiotic statements many fans were making to players on twitter - the personal statements

concur

jk the sooner fan
1/5/2013, 10:49 AM
jk, you're clueless.

I never even really called out another player. IMO, college players are off limits, but paid pro players aren't.

meh - you bore me -and your reading comprehension skills are apparently on par with your tennis abilities

OUInformant
1/5/2013, 10:52 AM
I'm not sure how I'm being defensive about it. Actually there are top pros who at some point go back and play satellites.

But no, I couldn't match up with some of the top players in the US. My knees gave out. Even before, US tennis was really good.

OUInformant
1/5/2013, 10:54 AM
meh - you bore me -and your reading comprehension skills are apparently on par with your tennis abilities

Ohhh! You got me there.

OUInformant
1/5/2013, 11:00 AM
Seriously jk. I'm gonna stop the smack talk. I feel bad now for being mean. Sorry dude.

sooneron
1/5/2013, 11:05 AM
Saying that he's bored of this and that you can't comprehend what you are reading = eThug? (never heard that by the way) Uhhhhh, ok...

OUInformant
1/5/2013, 11:10 AM
I took it out.

Jason White's Third Knee
1/5/2013, 11:11 AM

THAT AIN'T TRUE!!!

Not everyone is on scholarship. Regardless, if you sit and rip on a kid on your own team, you are simply a poor sport.

JLEW1818
1/5/2013, 11:11 AM
I mean when guys like Whaley are randomly found on the streets of Oklahoma...

OUInformant
1/5/2013, 11:20 AM
Individual college athletes are off limits for me, less some constructive criticism. I wouldn't ever take a kid's scholarship away, as he/she depends on it to get their education. And most of them won't go pro in their respective sports. In tennis, unless you are a Top 100 or so player in the world, it is really tough to make a living. The travel and what not is very tough.

Probably the same is true for the major American sports. Only the players in the top-tiered leagues (NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL) make a great living. I've recently seen some awesome NBA D-League players who I thought would make it in the NBA. Anyways, suffice it to say, these kids need to get their degrees.

Therealsouthsider
1/5/2013, 12:09 PM
...my family and my profession judges me on a daily basis and will so until the day I die so he might as well get used to it and grow up

SS

jkjsooner
1/5/2013, 12:17 PM
You don't get the love and admiration without the bad side. If they don't like it they can go play for a lower profile school. They chose to play at a school where they will be in front of 80k fans, on national TV, and generally be loved and admired around campus. You don't get the good without the bad.

Any player could transfer to UCO and have their education payed. Very few will criticize them when they play poorly and few will know who they are.

And if the education is really their goal there are some great schools that play lower tier football.

GrapevineSooner
1/5/2013, 12:58 PM
I used to bounce a tennis ball off our satellite dish when we lived in Tuttle.

GrapevineSooner
1/5/2013, 01:01 PM

Agreed.

If you feel the need to take last night's butt kicking personal by criticizing a player on Twitter, well...you have issues that go well beyond the scope of sports.

Jason White's Third Knee
1/6/2013, 12:48 PM
...my family and my profession judges me on a daily basis and will so until the day I die so he might as well get used to it and grow up

SS

Really? To what degree? On TV? On message boards? On websites? To they go WAAAAAYYYYYYYY overboard and say how ****ty you are if you make a mistake? Sounds like a hell of a family/job you got there... or are we talking about two entirely different things here, with two massively different stages?

tulsaoilerfan
1/6/2013, 01:58 PM

Ah yes, whatever happened to him anyway?

soonerbrat
1/7/2013, 11:37 AM
I used to bounce a tennis ball off our satellite dish when we lived in Tuttle.

but did anyone pay you for that?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/7/2013, 11:51 AM

Whaley is evidence that our coaches just aren't looking for players as much as they did in 1999/2000. Back then we found that guy -> Mark Clayton -> who was the "3rd best receiver on his own team".

There are a couple of key things that our fanbase tends to forget ->

There is no waiver wire in college football. What you start with at the beginning of the season is what you have. There is no magical way to shore up a weak position after January.

The backup isn't necessarily better than the starter. We have a couple of guys on the roster that I think will be pretty good in the future, that doesn't mean that they will be that good playing every down now.

Playing guys early tends to get them hurt. The size difference between 18 year olds vs 22 year olds isn't pretty. Once hurt, they tend to not get better unless their last name is Peterson. This has further ramifications with regard to point 1 -> it is incredibly difficult to fix a position in 1 year without ruining that player's potential.

goingoneight
1/7/2013, 01:08 PM
When a guy gets arrested for doping... he's over 18 and more than deserving of criticism. When he's busted his *** for four years and represented his university in a first-class way, he does NOT deserve supposed "fans" attacking him personally. Tired of hearing about how player X is a ***** or player Y is afraid to take a hit. Guess what... if the team isn't good enough to win, that's not Tom Wort's fault. It's not Ryan Reynolds' fault he had to play catchup with Jermichael Finley all game on a bad knee and you would be absolutely pissed and ready to fight anyone who said the things people said about him is RR was your kid out there. Angry fans clearly don't understand that. I ripped a guy to shreds at the Cotton Bowl watch party because he wouldn't shut his mouth about a player on the team who I know personally. I asked him how he'd feel if I went to his son's basketball game the next day and started talking about his son the way he talked about the OU players. He had no answer. His wife even told him to can it.

KABOOKIE
1/7/2013, 01:26 PM
If they think a little internet bitching is so boo hoo tough then they can always try playing in the SEC. Else I'll just say East Popcorn St has all the same things to offer that they can get at OU. A chance to play sports, get an education and a shot at the NFL. Plus not a single fan WGAS.

SoonerorLater
1/7/2013, 01:59 PM
It seems to me that if you aren't going to oversign and be willing to pull scholarships then you will be at a great disadvantage in today's game. Look at the teams that have won championships recently. It's a great advantage.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/7/2013, 02:52 PM
It seems to me that if you aren't going to oversign and be willing to pull scholarships then you will be at a great disadvantage in today's game. Look at the teams that have won championships recently. It's a great advantage.

Of course it is, oversigning is basically hop, skipping and jumping around the scholarship limit. Right now the SEC is playing with a 95 man limit and we are playing with 85. What I don't think our fans see is that our coaches have adopted the Roy Williams approach to football. They sign classes in such a way that they will have a chance at a national title every 2 years in 4. 2000/2001, 2003/2004, 2007/2008, 2011/2012. With this approach, we try to overload on JRs and SRs for those 2 years and only plug in talented freshmen in holes. The problem is that the SEC (and Pete Carroll at USC before them), by overloading recruiting classes, has allowed them to have much a higher concentration of talent on a single team than the big 12 outside of a few teams early in the decade (OU 2000, OU 2003*, Texas 2005). It is why even when we have "good" teams they aren't good enough to win a national title.

*OU 2003 was a better team than that LSU team. We lost that game more than they won it.

sanantoniosooner
1/7/2013, 04:00 PM
Is satellite tennis like indoor soccer?