PDA

View Full Version : When will our boosters and fans stop being content...

OU_Sooners75
1/4/2013, 11:16 PM
With a national championship from 12 years ago?

When will we demand change from our head coach?

I'm not saying, nor would ever say it, that Bob Stoops needs to go. But he needs a fire lit under his *** once again.

When was the last time OU beat a top 10 team in a bowl game?

Ill venture to say it was the 2002-2003 Rose Bowl.

tulsaoilerfan
1/4/2013, 11:17 PM

I'm not saying, nor would ever say it, that Bob Stoops needs to go. But he needs a fire lit under his *** once again.

Was Oregon top 10 in the Holiday Bowl? If not then i believe it was the Florida State game in 2001 Orange Bowl

landrun
1/4/2013, 11:18 PM

I want a new head coach. Really do... This has gotten old.

I'm not content or proud that we can beat a very poorly coached and organized Texas team.
It seems that is all that matters to some OU fans.

If so, we're Okie State and OU football is dead.

8timechamps
1/4/2013, 11:19 PM
I'm content. Co-conference champions. Clean program. Beat our rival(s).

One game doesn't change my mind about Stoops.

BoulderSooner79
1/4/2013, 11:22 PM
I'm good for another 10 years at most. If things don't change by then, I'll be mad.

OU_Sooners75
1/4/2013, 11:22 PM
I think Bob Stoops has earned the right to stay. But his bosses need to demand change on his coaching staff.

Only one of his past hires since 2003 has come out side his inner circle or circles influence.

This is not OU football, period.

But I will say this much, he he can't accept changes, he does need to reutre or move on! He makes way too much money to keep the current trend.

Boomer.....
1/4/2013, 11:24 PM
I think he needs to stop the loyalty to his coaches and send a few to the chopping block.

JLEW1818
1/4/2013, 11:25 PM
Wonder how much this game hurts recruiting? Sure does help zero percent.

OU_Sooners75
1/4/2013, 11:28 PM
I'm content. Co-conference champions. Clean program. Beat our rival(s).

One game doesn't change my mind about Stoops.

One game?

I guess you have short term memory?

Stoops has lost more games the last 4 years than he has from 1999-2004.

He has lost games that he shouldn't have. He has lost to non-conference top 10 teams with regularity.

The OU teams since the loss to USC have have never had their swagger back they have lacked the intensity.

I'm a Sooner through and through, but there is a time when enough is enough and that time has come upon us.

StoopTroup
1/4/2013, 11:29 PM
Weren't you one of the one's begging for Bob to get rid of Brent and bring Mike back?

8timechamps
1/4/2013, 11:29 PM
Wonder how much this game hurts recruiting? Sure does help zero percent.

Not much. Most of the players OU and A&M were in on, already committed one way or the other. The few guys left uncommitted have other schools in the mix too, so it probably just isn't that important.

Its just like when a recruit comes to a home game in Norman, whether the Sooners win or lose, it doesn't seem to do anything toward persuading a recruit.

cyclonesooner
1/4/2013, 11:35 PM
Good points, OU Sooner 75. Drastic changes needed or Bob needs to go back to Buckeye State.

8timechamps
1/4/2013, 11:36 PM
One game?

I guess you have short term memory?

Stoops has lost more games the last 4 years than he has from 1999-2004.

He has lost games that he shouldn't have. He has lost to non-conference top 10 teams with regularity.

The OU teams since the loss to USC have have never had their swagger back they have lacked the intensity.

I'm a Sooner through and through, but there is a time when enough is enough and that time has come upon us.

We're just different that way. I'd rather have a clean program, that wins 10 games a year, with a coach I believe does it the right way. Like I said above, we won a share of the conference title, we won 10 games, Landry will finish his bowl career at 3-1. Would I have liked to see 4 straight national titles, SURE! But, I also don't let the outcome of a game change the way I feel about my school's football team. I sat at every home game from 1990-1999, and donated what I could back to the university. If I was a loyal fan then, there's no question that I will continue to be one now.

Besides, it's a game. I have no impact on the outcome, so I just get to enjoy the victories and bemoan the occasional losses. Other than those two things, not one other thing in my life is affected. In my mind, Bob has done more than enough to retire on his time frame. And, yes, I am perfectly fine with that.

normanx
1/4/2013, 11:36 PM
I'm down man. This is embarrassing. On top of the recruiting ramifications. It's effin time. Lets settle for half titles with a team that got b***h whipped by Oregon. OR.... Let's just settle... We pay a guy $5mil for that?

OU_Sooners75
1/4/2013, 11:37 PM
Weren't you one of the one's begging for Bob to get rid of Brent and bring Mike back?

actually I've never said get rid of BV. I did beg for MS to come back because our DB coach wasn't getting it done.

And I am one begging BS to fire his OL coaches along with some other position coaches.

soonervegas
1/4/2013, 11:39 PM
1985 to 2000 seemed like a lifetime to me.

Stoops is going to destroy that dry spell....never would have thunk it circa 2002.

Tulsa_Fireman
1/4/2013, 11:40 PM
And I am one begging BS to fire his OL coaches along with some other position coaches.

You just lost a metric **** ton of cred with that statement.

This front five is patchwork at best but given the volume of setbacks this front has faced, these boys have stepped up, worked hard, and made themselves a serviceable unit.

A good unit? That's questionable, but these kids have comes MILES from where they should be. They're hitting complex schemes, picking up some pretty impressive veiled adjustments and slide well. They do good things. Not world beaters, but they do good things with little.

That's coaching, plain and simple.

wishbonesooner
1/4/2013, 11:41 PM
We all have forgotten Howard and John Blake. Bob rescued the program, literally brought it back from the grave. We made him rich beyond belief. I don't know what the answer is, but I sure liked the old Bob that didn't make excuses better than this version.

zeke
1/4/2013, 11:43 PM
I've been for Stoops forever. No more. Way to smug and is not the same coach he was. His staff looked utterly stupid today.

OU_Sooners75
1/4/2013, 11:47 PM
It doesn't matter what happened 13+ years ago.

The guy has done wonders for OU. But there comes a time when complacency kills any of your greatest accomplishments.

I love what Stoops has done. But unless he is willing to tell some of his buddies the ride is over and get fresh blood in here to revitalize the program, then he becomes part of the problem.

There comes a time and place when the monster needs fed again...and now is the time!

Once upon a time, OU was more than just 10 wins and shared conference titles. There was a time when OU was about playing at a level hardly any team can match...now we fans of this monster dream of a new time when we can be winning like Bama...instead of us being the envy of the nation!

redkid
1/4/2013, 11:47 PM
manzel is their entire offense period and if you can't shutdown 1 guy you don't deserve to win,,with a month to prepare for this guy,,this is the best MS can do,,wow we may be in trouble for the foreseeable future,,,dang this stinks.

tulsaoilerfan
1/4/2013, 11:50 PM
Im not content with being a top 20 program; if i want that i can go root for Virginia Tech, Clemson, Michigan, Louisville, and all the other teams that have absolutely no chance of winning it all

wishbonesooner
1/4/2013, 11:51 PM
Unfortunately, we are one of those other teams now.

StoopTroup
1/4/2013, 11:53 PM
actually I've never said get rid of BV. I did beg for MS to come back because our DB coach wasn't getting it done.

What the hell do you think is going to happen when we make changes every year?

All I'm saying is this....Bob has turned over Staff a lot and we just got beat by one of them I wish we had paid a bit more to stay. It's not the guys he hired this year....it's the guys he loses that are killing us.

I think we would have been better off with Mike going to Ohio State and Brent staying but in the long term....it will be a good move for us. We would have lost Brent eventually and if you are Bob...you're not going to pass on an opportunity to get a HC and former Asst Coach back that you won a MNC with.

People need to just calm the hell down. This was written in the cards because of the Coaching Moves many Sooner Fans wanted....we just weren't going to get the results we wanted this year because of all the changes. Hopefully Sooner Fans will calm down a bit between now and September and get their heads right. We lose a bunch of guys that I think could have taken us all the way to another Crystal Ball and it might be another couple years before we see that kind of Team again. I surely hope the hysterics stops and patience and Faith becomes something Sooners can wrap their heads around.

tulsaoilerfan
1/4/2013, 11:53 PM
I don't think we will even sniff another championship game again in the future, let alone win one; crap we had 3 of the first 4 picks in the 2010 draft on offense and still couldn't beat a Florida team with Tim Freaking Tebow at QB; at what point do you think that it's more about coaching than the players?

Socrefbek
1/4/2013, 11:57 PM
I would like Bob to move on. It is time. Go try the pro's and see what happens when you sit on your *** and don't work hard Bobby. In fact go interview for that Philadelphia job and see what this kind of coaching gets you.

landrun
1/4/2013, 11:57 PM
We all have forgotten Howard and John Blake. Bob rescued the program, literally brought it back from the grave. We made him rich beyond belief. I don't know what the answer is, but I sure liked the old Bob that didn't make excuses better than this version.

I completely disagree with this logic.
OU football is much much bigger than Mr. Bob Stoops!

Blake had a LOT of talent here. All we needed was a decent QB and a coach that was more organized than a ball of twine. With Leach's offense, we were able seduce a good JUCO QB to come in and we were off to the races to improvement.

The game has passed us up. And Stoops is out of his league in my opinion.

OU_Sooners75
1/5/2013, 12:00 AM
Greg,

Turnover is part of the game.

But when you hire coaches that have less experience in the total aspect of the college game as some that even coach at college, it says something.

Bruce Kittles, should not be on staff.
James Patton, should not be on staff.
Jackie Shipp, has passed his prime and time for him to move on.
Bobby Jack Wright, time for him to retire and enjoy life.

These four would be a hell of a start for a new look and fresh start.

This was written instone not because of the new faces of Mike Stoops or Tim Kish (another that needs to be replaced). This was written because Bob Stoops is too loyal to his coaches and have allowed his coordinators too much power. In return we have a depleted DL, OL, and LB. Which may not be "skilled" positions, but are the most important positions on the field if you wish to have sustained success over a long season.

Its Bobs fault we have an undersized defense and a one dimensional offense.

Since71ASooner4Life
1/5/2013, 12:00 AM
Its one thing to lose hard fought games to great opponents, it's another thing to have Tavon Austin looking like Barry Sanders playing against high school kids. We looked like chumps - especially on defense too many times this year - nothing resembling an elite program. Repeatedly using that rediculous telegraphed belldoser play still has me scratching my head. Stupid as I am, even I can see that is rediculous and would never work against a good defense that knows its coming

5thYearSooner
1/5/2013, 12:05 AM
One loss doesn't change Sh!t. We gonna be fine..Relax!

5thYearSooner
1/5/2013, 12:07 AM
Having said that we need what championship teams require i.e Nasty Defense,Good Running game and a decent QB..
EDIT: Thank Landry Jones for the QB he is and handled his career here. Boomer Sooner!

MyT Oklahoma
1/5/2013, 12:15 AM
Its one thing to lose hard fought games to great opponents, it's another thing to have Tavon Austin looking like Barry Sanders playing against high school kids. We looked like chumps - especially on defense too many times this year - nothing resembling an elite program. Repeatedly using that rediculous telegraphed belldoser play still has me scratching my head. Stupid as I am, even I can see that is rediculous and would never work against a good defense that knows its coming

^^ This.

CarolinaSoonerFan
1/5/2013, 12:15 AM
I am afraid that we are going to miss Landry next year. This will show us just how good a coach Josh is.

OUNASH
1/5/2013, 12:17 AM
One loss doesn't change Sh!t. We gonna be fine..Relax!

One loss doesnt change anything, but the way you lose does. There have been to many of these types of loses over the last 4 years to relax. Stoops need to quit riding the easy train and get off his butt and get back to work and get this thing turned back around. Getting your butt kicked by 28 to an aggie team that had a better game from La Tech is alarming.
If you think next year will be any better it wont be. We will be breaking in a new QB and replaing 75% of a bad defense. There is no time for relaxing.

SOONER44EVER
1/5/2013, 12:23 AM

Howard and John Blake never threw a defense like this one out there.

rockfromcon
1/5/2013, 12:31 AM
Coaches that need to go... Kittle, Patton, Kish and wouldn't heart broken if Norvell left either. How about we bring in some guys that know what Oklahoma football is all about??? Seth Littrell has started a nice career for himself lets go get him! Sherrone Moore is the TE coach at Louisville he's from Derby Kansas I'm sure he would like to get closer to home. Mark Mangino is wating to get back into coaching! Sign the fat man up!!!

Changes need to be made, sadly they probably wont be...

normanx
1/5/2013, 12:41 AM
Coaching changes wont be made.... Don't be so optimistic.

Blue
1/5/2013, 12:46 AM
We're just different that way. I'd rather have a clean program, that wins 10 games a year, with a coach I believe does it the right way. Like I said above, we won a share of the conference title, we won 10 games, Landry will finish his bowl career at 3-1. Would I have liked to see 4 straight national titles, SURE! But, I also don't let the outcome of a game change the way I feel about my school's football team. I sat at every home game from 1990-1999, and donated what I could back to the university. If I was a loyal fan then, there's no question that I will continue to be one now.

Besides, it's a game. I have no impact on the outcome, so I just get to enjoy the victories and bemoan the occasional losses. Other than those two things, not one other thing in my life is affected. In my mind, Bob has done more than enough to retire on his time frame. And, yes, I am perfectly fine with that.

Then you don't need to comment what it takes to win championships for OU Football. Focus your energy on things you care to know about.

Why sit here and bash people who want to get that done? Geesh.

Blue
1/5/2013, 12:47 AM
What the hell do you think is going to happen when we make changes every year?

All I'm saying is this....Bob has turned over Staff a lot and we just got beat by one of them I wish we had paid a bit more to stay. It's not the guys he hired this year....it's the guys he loses that are killing us.

I think we would have been better off with Mike going to Ohio State and Brent staying but in the long term....it will be a good move for us. We would have lost Brent eventually and if you are Bob...you're not going to pass on an opportunity to get a HC and former Asst Coach back that you won a MNC with.

People need to just calm the hell down. This was written in the cards because of the Coaching Moves many Sooner Fans wanted....we just weren't going to get the results we wanted this year because of all the changes. Hopefully Sooner Fans will calm down a bit between now and September and get their heads right. We lose a bunch of guys that I think could have taken us all the way to another Crystal Ball and it might be another couple years before we see that kind of Team again. I surely hope the hysterics stops and patience and Faith becomes something Sooners can wrap their heads around.

Same garbage, different year from you, Captain Consistent.

StoopTroup
1/5/2013, 12:57 AM
Same garbage, different year from you, Captain Consistent.

You know why?

It comes from the folks who really do make the call. They...like me....love the guy. He's an amazing person and someone I would be proud to have lead my kid if he were to have the opportunity to play Football at OU someday. He's managed to help build up our Stadium and the money we bring in now pays for so many other programs as well.

If anyone is Captain Consistent....it's Bob. If you put your importance purely on winning MNCs....you are right. It's been a long time since he's given us one. If you look at all the things he has affected at OU, Norman, OKC, Tulsa and Oklahoma in general.....it's amazing.

Many of us had this theory that he would never leave until his kids were out of HS. I followed this as well but I also thought Bob was the kind of guy that would stay loyal to the folks that are loyal to him. Those folks aren't necessarily the folks on this board and it damn sure isn't folks who live in Alabama.

Blue
1/5/2013, 01:04 AM
You know why?

It comes from the folks who really do make the call. They...like me....love the guy. He's an amazing person and someone I would be proud to have lead my kid if he were to have the opportunity to play Football at OU someday. He's managed to help build up our Stadium and the money we bring in now pays for so many other programs as well.

If anyone is Captain Consistent....it's Bob. If you put your importance purely on winning MNCs....you are right. It's been a long time since he's given us one. If you look at all the things he has affected at OU, Norman, OKC, Tulsa and Oklahoma in general.....it's amazing.

Many of us had this theory that he would never leave until his kids were out of HS. I followed this as well but I also thought Bob was the kind of guy that would stay loyal to the folks that are loyal to him. Those folks aren't necessarily the folks on this board and it damn sure isn't folks who live in Alabama.

Everything you said had some merit until that last statement. Us Sooner fans in Alabama, and there is alot of us Gomer!, expect a championship football team. You, it seems are happy with the occasional signed oil funnel from Phillips 66.

We all know family, community, and loyalty are important, numbnuts, but winning along with it is preferable!

StoopTroup
1/5/2013, 01:04 AM
Coaches that need to go... Kittle, Patton, Kish and wouldn't heart broken if Norvell left either. How about we bring in some guys that know what Oklahoma football is all about??? Seth Littrell has started a nice career for himself lets go get him! Sherrone Moore is the TE coach at Louisville he's from Derby Kansas I'm sure he would like to get closer to home. Mark Mangino is wating to get back into coaching! Sign the fat man up!!!

Changes need to be made, sadly they probably wont be...

I've thought Norvell could have gone 2-3 years ago. It's not because I don't like the guy....I just don't see the results. This is the 1st year I thought he had us loaded for bear at WR but I think that had to do with Landry and his Stats at QB than anything jay did.

Since71ASooner4Life
1/5/2013, 08:29 AM
I am afraid that we are going to miss Landry next year. This will show us just how good a coach Josh is.

I think so. Following Sam, I think a lot of folks took it for granted that you have a QB who throws for 300~400 years every game.

On the other hand, I do think having an immobile / zero running threat QB is a problem against good defenses. Bell will bring a running threat, but I'm concerned about whether his passing ability will be sufficient. In fairness to him, we haven't seen enough to get a solid perspective on that, but what little I've seen has never made me wonder if we wouldn't be better served with him as the starter now